test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So Discovery is Prime universe?

ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
Despite everything CBS has been spewing the latest trailer from ComicCon says they are lying about TRIBBLE being prime universe. Watch the latest trailer and at roughly 1:19 a KT Universe ROMULAN Warbird shows up. Identical to the KT ones in this game. Watch the latest offical trailer and Judge for yourself.

Comments

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Isn't that the design for their version of Klingon ships?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Isn't that the design for their version of Klingon ships?
    No the only Klingon ship is a very weirdly sculpted thing almost like a Vorcha mated with a Fromic ship from Enders Game.

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,026 Community Moderator
    Uh... we never saw a KT Romulan ship.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I just watched the trailer and struggle to recognize it as star trek. There was a vulcan.

My feeling is that they really don't care about that kind of 'nerdy fan stuff.' They want a scifi show for kids with a recognizable brand name as bait. More freefalling ninja girl swordfights with explosions.

I'll watch it until and unless it's impossible to watch. But the trailer did not make the show seem appealing to me.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Watch very carefully at about 1:!9 a Federation ship is firing on a cloaked ship the cloak drops and there is very breifly before the cloak reenages a KT romulan warbird. It is the ship being fired on in the lower left corner of the screen.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    azrael605 wrote: »
    If the franchise owners say it Prime then its Prime whether you like it or not.

Thing is if your going to set something in a given timeline then some things need to stay more or less canon to that timeline. Sure I can buy the weird Klingons ok mutants or something given the things laid out in canonical Enterprise with the augments. But there has to be some ties to the era it is set in if you are saying it's not an AltTimeline like the KT universe films or the Mirror universe episodes of DS9, Enterprise and TOS episode. It's like making a Trojan war film and the Trojan horse is an Imperial walker. Sure it's horse like but would you accept that as canon to established mythos? Or Custers last stand all of a sudden instead of the jam prone rifles they suddenly had M-4 Carbines and Ma Deuces. How about a relaunch of Master and Commander where the ship is now a Burke DDG?
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    If the franchise owners say it Prime then its Prime whether you like it or not.

Agreed. However I'm curious now that Prime has been officially retconned visually (and canonically?) what does that bode for STO now that the era has been invalidated in game?
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    ioneonioneon Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    I watched the part mentioned and saw the ship in question. It has a very similar forward swept shape, but there's no way it's the KT Romulan ship in STO. The size is way, way off. This thing looked more like a large fighter, possibly a small frigate. All we have to go on though is a brief silhouette. I'd say the OP is jumping the gun a tad by already deciding that the KT and prime universe walls have come crashing down. DooOOOoooom!
  • Options
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Watch very carefully at about 1:!9 a Federation ship is firing on a cloaked ship the cloak drops and there is very breifly before the cloak reenages a KT romulan warbird. It is the ship being fired on in the lower left corner of the screen.

Its most likely a Discovery era Klingon ship. And we have NOT seen a KT Romulan Warbird. The ONLY ship we've seen that was Romulan in the KT was actually the Prime Universe Narada.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I just watched the trailer and struggle to recognize it as star trek. There was a vulcan.

My feeling is that they really don't care about that kind of 'nerdy fan stuff.' They want a scifi show for kids with a recognizable brand name as bait. More freefalling ninja girl swordfights with explosions.

I'll watch it until and unless it's impossible to watch. But the trailer did not make the show seem appealing to me.

Wise words.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    Like I said in another thread.

"When are people going to stop acting like the constantly changing, internally inconsistent, mishmash of writer fiats know as "canon" is somehow special & deserving of being "respected"?"

Then why is the EP of the show saying he wants to respect canon then?
    original join date 2010

• Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    At least the U.S.S. Shenzhou looks like a Trek ship.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    We already have 2 universes, so just go make a third. The only reason to call this Prime is a juvenile attempt to have their cake and eat it too. It's so blatantly a hodge-poge of Prime and KT mishmash it's an insult to any older Trek fan. They should have learned from BSG that you can make a totally new universe yet still keep it in the spirit/mold/whatever of the original.
  • Options

patrickngo wrote: »
    darakoss wrote: »
    Like I said in another thread.

"When are people going to stop acting like the constantly changing, internally inconsistent, mishmash of writer fiats know as "canon" is somehow special & deserving of being "respected"?"

Then why is the EP of the show saying he wants to respect canon then?

mostly because his marketing director told him to say that?

Lol. Touche.
    original join date 2010

• Options

Its most likely a Discovery era Klingon ship. And we have NOT seen a KT Romulan Warbird. The ONLY ship we've seen that was Romulan in the KT was actually the Prime Universe Narada.

So you have never seen the KT ones here in STO?
  • Options
    We already have 2 universes, so just go make a third. The only reason to call this Prime is a juvenile attempt to have their cake and eat it too. It's so blatantly a hodge-poge of Prime and KT mishmash it's an insult to any older Trek fan. They should have learned from BSG that you can make a totally new universe yet still keep it in the spirit/mold/whatever of the original.

Exactly!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    ioneon wrote: »
    I watched the part mentioned and saw the ship in question. It has a very similar forward swept shape, but there's no way it's the KT Romulan ship in STO. The size is way, way off. This thing looked more like a large fighter, possibly a small frigate. All we have to go on though is a brief silhouette. I'd say the OP is jumping the gun a tad by already deciding that the KT and prime universe walls have come crashing down. DooOOOoooom!

Always one on every thread. You are the only one crying doom. I am just calling for straight out honesty from CBS. If that's doom in your book then you need a new play book. Oh yeah the scale thing wow so you can tell hw far away it is from the Federation ship right? For all we know they could be a mile ten miles a hundred miles apart so yeah saying the scale is off is really premature as well.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    The Kelvin Timeline refers to either the timeline itself created after the destruction of the USS Kelvin or the trilogy of three films produced by Paramount since 2009. It is not a aesthetic marker you can just apply to anything that looks new and shiny. It has a specific meaning that is up to CBS to use, not you.

And we've never seen a KT Romulan or their ships.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    So you have never seen the KT ones here in STO?

The T'laru is a CRYPTIC design.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Claiming that Discovery is set in the Prime Universe could be a simple legal trick. That way CBS can use the overall design language from the new ST movies but doesn't have to get Paramount's permission to use it (and doesn't have to pay for the privilege).
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    Why are people so desperately invested in the aesthetic of a fifty-year-old TV show that barely lasted three seasons, that it can never be updated ever? Why is it so important that the bridge of a starship plying the spaceways some two hundred and fifty years hence look more primitive than your living room?

It's been stated repeatedly, since day one, that this show is Prime timeline - that, like ENT before it, it's part of the history underlying TOS. Sure, the bridge of the Shenzhou (the only set we've seen so far) looks more advanced than that poor 1960s-vintage ship. Just think of the old aesthetic as being the best the technology of the era could do at showing the real advanced tech of the 23rd century, and quit grasping at nonexistent straws and insisting we're all being lied to, would you please?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    The same reason the phaser pistol, tricorder and the comminicator looks very disrinctly non-2017, and instead can trace their design from that ugly five decade old three season show.
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    k20vtec wrote: »
    The same reason the phaser pistol, tricorder and the comminicator looks very disrinctly non-2017, and instead can trace their design from that ugly five decade old three season show.

Which really surprises me, positively, since they try to keep the original looks in nothing else pig-2.gif There are a few nods here and there, but overall the show has it's own look. Which, just for the record, is not the same as DS9 and VOY as the only change in DS9 aesthetics is that it's set on a cardassian station - TNG, DS9 and VOY share a consistent look though.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    Well. They had the benefits of being production on those whos are continous snd not decade or two apart. But yeah, seein the props, I do wonder why bother if they are changing everything, and why dont they get the ship and uniform design to if they want to keep it recognizable
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    What does Prime Universe even mean? With the amount of time travel in Star Trek, the Prime Universe shown in the first few episodes of TOS is not the same as the Prime Universe shown in Nemesis. Add some major temporal event before the early 23rd Century and Discovery is set in the "Prime Universe", but isn't a prequel of TOS. Just like what Star Trek 2009 did, but without using the cop out of somehow the Prime Universe was not affected by a major temporal event that should have erased it from existence.