test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What Do You Think? The Endeavor System

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
The new Endeavor System, hitting PC at 9am PST today, allows Captains to engage in new activities for rewards every few days!

Let us know what you think here!

Comments

• Options
    ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
    Note: If you logged in before the system went live at 9, you have to change maps to make it appear.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,869 Arc User
    Just got my first Endeavour prize pack, it was a neat bonus. Here's hoping it takes players off the beaten path (Borg ships seemed like a very, very gentle way to ease players in. Expected though.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I would rather have missions that are harder to do or take longer to complete. A small reward for a fast mission won't increase player participation for long.

The Endeavor system should motivate people to play something they haven't played for a long time. Maybe you could include something like this:

Mission:
    - complete Binary Circuit on advanced or elite difficulty
    - complete Tzenkethi Front on advanced or elite difficulty
    - complete Brotherhood of the Sword on andvanced or elite difficulty

reward 6000 dilithium ore.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Q: Is it only supposed to be completable once across your account?

Today's (for me, at least) was kill 15 Borg ships. One Borg RA didn't do it, so after doing four alts I cycled around again. Finished it on my first character, and now when my other alts log in, it says "Endeavor: Defeat Borg Ships failed. Dropped mission...."

Just wondering if that's how it's intended to work.
  • Options
    willweedzorwillweedzor Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Underwhelming and hopefully, a joke.

If you call something a system than let it be a system, not something that is gone and over in the first 30 seconds of ISA run and as a mere side effect of it. As off now the feature (which is a very very generous way to call it) wasn't really worth the news article, let alone being developed in the first place.

It does nothing for the game, it does nothing to increase or maintain the playerbase, it does nothing for the depopulated queues and it is utterly forgettable. A feature that exists solely for the sake of existing and because the lowest effort possible is an effort after all....
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Nice little reward but once per account? No tab to see what upcoming Endeavors there are? Sigh.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    So far I like it, nice bonus. It would be nice to be able to see what's coming next, though.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Seems it is mostly a way to reward playing during the duration of the event, but it doesn't really require much - a single Borg STF sufficed for the Borg Endeavor.

Don't know if anoyne really needs that, but I suppose it's another thing to motivate regular play?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    I find it strange that while the reward seems to be once per account a day, the progress doesn't register over the account. So if you destroy 9 Borg ships out of 15 on one character, you'll still be at 0/15 on another character that hasn't destroyed Borg this day yet.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Very disappointing so far. I certainly won't be going out of my way to resolve these, if the reward is just going to be the same stuff I could get by grinding popular content as usual. Then again, "15 borg ships" might as well be a login bonus.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    enh, it's ok. it's not hard to do, so it doesn't change much
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    Pleasant enough little bonus, easy to achieve... needs to be consistent about whether it's per-character or per-account, though, and all the fly-in gubbins about "Endeavor: TRIBBLE failed. Mission dropped" needs to go. We have quite enough fly-in gubbins as it is, thank you very much. ("You refined 0 dilithium. You refined 0 dilithium. FarmerBoy@goldfarmersdfsdfa has received an Infinity Prize Pack! You refined 0 dilithium. You refined 0 dilithium.")
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    shevet wrote: »
    Pleasant enough little bonus, easy to achieve... needs to be consistent about whether it's per-character or per-account, though, and all the fly-in gubbins about "Endeavor: **** failed. Mission dropped" needs to go. We have quite enough fly-in gubbins as it is, thank you very much. ("You refined 0 dilithium. You refined 0 dilithium. FarmerBoy@goldfarmersdfsdfa has received an Infinity Prize Pack! You refined 0 dilithium. You refined 0 dilithium.")

You can turn off the lockbox ship notifications and as long as you don't refine dilithium right when it becomes available (I wait until 18:15 MDT) the dilithium refining messages will appear only once. But I can't disagree about the "Endeavor: **** failed. Mission dropped" fly-ins.
  • Options
    locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    I was worried about the amount of the rewards before it rolled out. But now seeing them, I thought the rewards were balanced between 1)too little to be worth it and 2)not optional/must grind because they are too high. Good job.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    I think one of the 2 below possibilities:
    a.) There are too many daily grind things.
    b.) I have too many toons.

If I do a full doff/admiralty grind on my 8 toons, it can take 3 hours. If you add in trying to post things on the horrible, slow, inefficient, built-by-a-2nd-grader Exchange; that can add another 2hrs. So I could 'play' STO for 5hrs and not really played the game! To an outside observer, my toons are just standing around staring into space. Of course, Cryptic doesn't really care if I'm on for 5hrs 'playing' or 5hrs doffing, metric-wise.

If you add in doing a CCA and/or Borg Red Alert for each one...
    If there's some 'special event' (even if I only do it on my main toon)...
    You get the idea.
    Sure, no one is making me do all that garbage. And for most of the Summer Event I've not done doffing/admiralty just to take a break from it. But still you get the feeling that you are 'falling behind'. Since doffing/admiralty is the most time efficient way to 'get stuff'. But NOT the funnest way, for sure.

And now we have Endeavor... another 'grind this' semi-daily thing. Depending on what it is, it may qualify as 'fun' while you are getting stuff. The first Endeavor gave me 1/4 Spec point, 100k EC and 2k Dil. Probably less 'rewards per min' than a couple of decent admiralty's take to set up get running. (not counting the run time since you aren't actually doing anything to keep it running) Especially since it took me 3 toons running Borg Red Alert to get one of them to 15 kills.

I also play WoW, and Endeavor is like their new system of weekly quest thing, just a bit shorter cycle. Just like doffing here is their garrison/champion quest thing. It's really disheartening to see every game going the 'same' route to get more participation. I miss 'having the time' to grind out obscure faction reputations because that was the only thing left to do after you finished the storyline! :D But now every game has to throw a pile of 'do it now or lose out!' things to keep players coming back instead of making a deep game where just doing the 'little things' can keep you coming back.
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    What do I think? How do I hide the notice/banner so I don't have to see it since I'll never do it,... or am I stuck staring at a "do this today" mission notice that I don't want and can't get rid of,...

Make it a tab in the missions/episodes/available log,... shoving it in my face isn't going to get me to do it, its only going to make me hate it even more.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    So cool this is a per acc and not per toon thingy.

I like it and will include it into my daily play.

Please use the new system to funnel the players through teamed PvE.

Thx Cryptic.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I like the idea, but I completed the objective in one single Borg Red Alert and now I'm done with it for 3 days.

It's a good idea, I'm going to refrain from judgment until I have seem some of the future objectives.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    lynce1975lynce1975 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    It's a little extra but nothing much, however one endeavor every 3 days is too little. Maybe 3 endeavors that recycle every 3 days would be more interesting, one could be a simple task (like kill 15 borgs or do 25k polaron damage), one related to a queue (do an ISA run or some queue that's less used), maybe one space and one ground queue? (ran out of ideas for a third endeavor)
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    Hate to break it to you but public queues are a thing of the past, and not just here as it's happening in lots of other games as well, people are just fed up running into dickheads, trolls and bullies, so they either run private with friends, or avoid group content.

I ran an Empire Defence to complete the Endeavour, got more EC from the loot drops and more dil for completing the Empire Defence, than I got from the reward box.
  • Options
    spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    corelogik wrote: »
    What do I think? How do I hide the notice/banner so I don't have to see it since I'll never do it,... or am I stuck staring at a "do this today" mission notice that I don't want and can't get rid of,...

Make it a tab in the missions/episodes/available log,... shoving it in my face isn't going to get me to do it, its only going to make me hate it even more.

^^ I agree.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    No comment yet.. Didn't have time last night to kill 15 borg ships after doing the new mission on my 2 mains.
    But it seems like its a nice little distraction from the everyday hustle ? I dunno. We'll see.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Why in god's name did you use borg as the first one? Those guys get blown up by the hundreds without anymore incentives to kill them...and the number is so low that one red alert or ISA can meet it. You guys should be using things like undine or some such with a MUCH higher counter than 15 if you all want to use this to revitalize the queues.

Well, I hope the primary objective isn't to "revitalize the queues", because that would mean I would likely be skipping many of them. Not that "kill 15 Borg" seems like a queue-focused objective. (The only queue I do is Borg RA, and just for the marks. I think I did Starbase 24 a couple times back in 2012 or 13.)

Based on other MMOs I've played, if "get people to play other dungeons/queues" was the goal, I'd go with a daily bonus for doing a random one. With either a "queue for random, get bonus" button, or picking a random queue each day for attention.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Why in god's name did you use borg as the first one? Those guys get blown up by the hundreds without anymore incentives to kill them...and the number is so low that one red alert or ISA can meet it. You guys should be using things like undine or some such with a MUCH higher counter than 15 if you all want to use this to revitalize the queues.
    Well, I hope the primary objective isn't to "revitalize the queues", because that would mean I would likely be skipping many of them. Not that "kill 15 Borg" seems like a queue-focused objective. (The only queue I do is Borg RA, and just for the marks. I think I did Starbase 24 a couple times back in 2012 or 13.)
    This list suggests otherwise:
    C8B6B9912408EC412833687B5A418931F34C3979
    2vdev.png
    2vdew.png
    It's from a tribble build that had multiples running at once. So yeah, there will be a variety of tasks.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    flesson616flesson616 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    Very sad, once per account, so spend 10-15 minutes get it done and maybe a so so reward then what wait 2 days for the next one. Doesnt really sound exciting does it. As far as once per account why can't all my guys have the advantage of the system. I paid to get extra characters so I should be able to have all my characters do it. Think you hype a great system that benefits 1 character taking 10-15 minutes every 2 days. Does that really sound exciting???
  • Options
    kaarruukaarruu Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    Quoting my earlier post from the announcement thread:
    Looks like doom is canceled.

Endeavors are account-wide completion and although they can't be dropped, they can be hidden from the mission log. At best it's a small bonus for doing stuff I'd be doing anyway, at worst a minor hassle of hiding the objective until it changes. Not obnoxious afterall.

Points for making the reward box bound to account, not character.

All in all it's neither a great addition nor a horrid one. I do wish you'd stop piling on new things for a while and take some time to fix what's already there - and broken.
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    It's a neat little bonus - definitely another thing to do but the balance needs to be adjusted one way or another I think. If it's really on a three day cycle the count (at least for Borg massacre) should be higher. I was able to bang this out in a single red alert. That being said the reward crate is ok, SLIGHTLY more variety would be nice maybe a random gear box akin to CCA's 1st/2nd place and a possible ultra rare option (something silly like a few lobi, rare research boosters, something to that effect)