What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Do You Think? The Endeavor System

Comments

• aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    kaarruu wrote: »
    Quoting my earlier post from the announcement thread:
    Looks like doom is canceled.

Endeavors are account-wide completion and although they can't be dropped, they can be hidden from the mission log. At best it's a small bonus for doing stuff I'd be doing anyway, at worst a minor hassle of hiding the objective until it changes. Not obnoxious afterall.

Points for making the reward box bound to account, not character.

All in all it's neither a great addition nor a horrid one. I do wish you'd stop piling on new things for a while and take some time to fix what's already there - and broken.

Word... There are so many things as well as enhancements and even lots of stuff which could be updated...
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Why in god's name did you use borg as the first one? Those guys get blown up by the hundreds without anymore incentives to kill them...and the number is so low that one red alert or ISA can meet it. You guys should be using things like undine or some such with a MUCH higher counter than 15 if you all want to use this to revitalize the queues.
    Yeah.

And a reward that's more interesting than yet another small quantity of the same stuff that comes from everything already.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Considering all the things that can and will be in this system as far as things to do, I like it well enough. Eventually there will be queues to complete to get the reward so during those times I might be able to try some of the queues I don't have the patience to wait for them to launch, since they almost never do now.

The rewards seem alright, not too high that I feel I absolutely HAVE to do them, but not so low I don't forget about them either.

Trying to think of something negative to say about it but I got nothing.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Will it always be ore or will the dil sometimes be rep or fleet specific? Would be good since once reps are capped marks = dil and dil tied into a fleet means folk would be more willing to fill the projects.

I did a borg alert and depsite deliberately slotting and using FAW I only got 8 kill credits from a full alert. Thankfully the random sector encounters also include a borg one.

If the reward is one per account per task then why isnt the counter also per account?

Am I right in assuming 1/4 spec point is a daft way of saying I got x amount of xp because it looked at first glance to be saying one of four.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Will it always be ore or will the dil sometimes be rep or fleet specific? Would be good since once reps are capped marks = dil and dil tied into a fleet means folk would be more willing to fill the projects.

Variation would be nice but so far I've only seen ore.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The only thing I've seen that has ever awarded refined dil was one of the possible rewards from the anniversary daily reward boxes.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    When I was looking at the mechanics on Tribble there were dozens of missions listed on the right. I was hoping this was they way it was supposed to be on Holodeck. An endless list of tasks to perform and where the rewards increased the more missions you finished.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    When I was looking at the mechanics on Tribble there were dozens of missions listed on the right. I was hoping this was they way it was supposed to be on Holodeck. An endless list of tasks to perform and where the rewards increased the more missions you finished.

That was to simply test the system as much as possible (stated at the time too). There's plenty of other tasks players can do on hourly intervals. Reps, admiralty, doffs, ect. Endeavors occupy a different nice, in between the frequency of the aforementioned and weekly FE rewards and multi-week projects.

Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • thelematikerthelematiker Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Its nice, you get another reward on top of the normal reward for things you do. A nice incentive to play something else / different. A step into the right direction to fill up some zones /queues or whatever. Have you seen how full it is on Defera (and above) the last 2 days? And you just have to play 1! Mission.

I like it, could be daily since it is account wide.
  • captainkenny1captainkenny1 Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    I think it is more like daily reward with every 24 hours but in this case you do a task that comes with it and on a 48 hour timer.
    Will this be a standard feature now or will this go away again? I personally like it!
    Being a 48 hour timer there is the danger that it'll end up being a case of if you miss the first day you can't get the task done in the case of those already unpopular queues that get rejected because the game hates in mission rewards in favour of simple marks and rep grinds so it becomes an exercise in time vs reward.

Granted the system is an optional thing but if there's a chance of it not happening on a regular basis then folk will stop bothering with it at all and start pestering the devs to make the task be on its own section of the ui that can be hidden. (which it should be anyway)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    given how many people flocked to Defera for that one.... I see no reason to worry.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    So far it's been pretty easy stuff to do. Day one: Kill Borg space. Day two: Kill Borg gound (sort of).
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • vinny#6447 vinny Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    The new Endeavor System, hitting PC at 9am PST today, allows Captains to engage in new activities for rewards every few days!

Let us know what you think here!

as long as I can turn it off I love it.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    A three day timeslot to complete one round of "Hive Onslaught"? Can't you give us a mission that takes a little longer to complete for the weekend? Currently, the Endeavor system is something, but feels like nothing. This system would have such great potential.. but not the way it is right now.
    edited July 2017
    3 borg tasks in a row?

I really hope you're not going to go through every single borg based thing in the game before moving on to alternatives.

Also I have to say I really don't like the RNG based rewards in the endeavour box. F2P account got 200k ec, 50 mark box and R&D mats while my LTS account got only R&D materials! no cash or marks.

That RNG needs to control what the rewards are for that task only NOT what the rewards are for each individual who does it. Keep pushing out TRIBBLE rewards and the system will fail faster than the comp pve did once those marks went widespread.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    One thing which the new endeavor system is in dire need of is a timer for the start of the next challenge.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    given how many people flocked to Defera for that one.... I see no reason to worry.
    I am not so sure just about everyone I know has given up on Endeavor as a waste of time. Many who flocked to Defera and not going to bother flocking to Defera next time or to any of the other areas. Time will tell off course but based on what I have seen, I expect people taking part in Endeavor is going drop a very large amount.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    I am not so sure just about everyone I know has given up on Endeavor as a waste of time. Many who flocked to Defera and not going to bother flocking to Defera next time or to any of the other areas. Time will tell off course but based on what I have seen, I expect people taking part in Endeavor is going drop a very large amount.
    I know I only went to Defera because the phrasing "ranked mission" made me think they'd added something new there.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    Done 3 for 3 now & my preliminary determination is if it's along my path of errands to complete all the better, but not worth the effort if the Endeavor's goal is out of my way.

This is disappointing since this Endeavor System is brand new for STO, & imo, was a pillar feature of 13.5's mid-season release.

So far the Endeavor System is functioning like some sort of supplemental loot additive & with Cryptic's randomness fetish making me not a big fan.

I was really looking forward to another method of earning Specialization Points, but alas it only, at least from what I read, rewards partial Spec. Points which don't even convert..

The extra EC which can now only add to the inflation since the ceiling was raised, Dilithium ore, & Marks are all trivial but welcomed.

I even read where one player stated part of their reward was a Mk XII Common Armor, but I haven't seen that confirmed, but if true that's lazily pathetic.

I'll give it about another week or so, but so far disappointing since it's suppose to be something brand new, but it's just coughing-up the same old trinkets.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    I like the little bonus from the Endeavor system. I'm curious why the wait for several days before introducing a new one. Why not a new Endeavor every day, about the same time as the Dilithium Refinement roll-over? The goals have not been too extreme, and the rewards are not unique. Why not a new Endeavor every day?
  • oktoberfest2dispoktoberfest2disp Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    > WHAT DO YOU THINK? THE ENDEAVOR SYSTEM

:)Excellent!

The new system makes me do missions I never bothered with before, so it's a good incentive to explore the game. I am pleasantly surprised by the generosity of the rewards. Basically, you get something for nothing, and if you don't like the Endeavor System, you are not required to participate.

Mirror, Mirror warns against a future where a Terran Empire ravages the galaxy led by the ISS Enterprise.
    In the 2000s, the biggest space station we build is called the ISS.
    I am concerned.
  • mjaybirdmjaybird Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    it is okay but needs to be more to it
  • magusshadowmoonmagusshadowmoon Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    One thing which the new endeavor system is in dire need of is a timer for the start of the next challenge.

So much so this!!! Must be added post haste!!

• kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Well, today's was pretty simple. Found the closest system patrol (Elwing, just by DS9) harvested the two R&D nodes in it, warped out without completing the patrol, repeat.

(I could have waited to do it 'organically' while in the process of running a story mission, but I was curious to see if 'harvest in space' meant a space map, or if it meant finding those wandering comets in the quadrant map.)
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Endeavor system:
    questerius wrote: »

YES...please. Also a more of a challenge is needed. TOO EASY!​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Okay, as others have said:

1) The idea of encouraging someone to explore places they've never been or haven't been in a long time is a good one.

2) The rewards are quite generous.

There's only one minor... I don't even want to call it a gripe or nitpick....

There's a reward you can get from the box called "1/4 Specialization Point."

It's just XP.

Why not call it XP instead of couching it in special language?
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
    Another day another task and while I was glad to see it wasnt the borg again the "reward" spat out 4 normal R&D mats and 50k ec. So it seems like the RNG selects each of the slots from the same pool each time.

Comes across as a quick and dirty way of getting the system out the door on time without going into something like having one specific to ec, another for R&D, third for marks or dil and the last two as random. Very likely as they were too lazy to have a new hidable ui spot specific to the bar.

If they want people to do this then the rewards need to have a better way of selecting them.
  • blackshap9#1072 blackshap9 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    Could you please provide a method to remove it off of my screen?