test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gorn Spam

Cryptic, please put a stop to the constant and overwhelming Gorn spam, all other chat just gets swallowed up in the spam that seems at least to be on a 5 min repeat cycle.

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    And, if someone is spamming, report them. Or block them. Or both.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    I don't see this ending well.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,517 Arc User
    Hey, Gorn Farmers need to make a living too!

Cheap Gorn -- www $SG gornforcash #$@ com !!! Best Gorn, best prices!!! Free Annorax with every 10,000 Gorn!!!!
  • Options
    cold4cold4 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Just turn off Zone chat.

General chat is the public area....the equivlent if you like as the main square in town....if a group of individuals take over that area and prevent the normal use of it by others, would you recommend that people just do not go into to town ?

• Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    Unfortunately it's a fact of life that general/zone chat in most MMOs are filled with garbage, whether it be Gorn jokes or racially insensitive or homophobic rants. Even WoW has those issues. Your best bet is to really just turn off Zone Chat. Nine times out of ten there is nothing worth seeing on there anyways.
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    djxprime wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's a fact of life that general/zone chat in most MMOs are filled with garbage, whether it be Gorn jokes or racially insensitive or homophobic rants. Even WoW has those issues. Your best bet is to really just turn off Zone Chat. Nine times out of ten there is nothing worth seeing on there anyways.

Ignoring unsociable behaviour is not and cannot be the answer in any community.

• Options
    ajalenajalen Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    Two gorns walk in to the bar...........
    mzspQIG.jpg

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    why not join in for once and try to have some fun after all isn't that the whole point of the game.
    its not like its going on 24/7, its only once in a while and its not like its meant to upset anyone, its just to make people laugh and smile for a little bit.
    its especially useful during an event to break up the monotony of the grind for a few minutes.
    with whimsical names it the game like gorn and breen some players cant resist a bit of levity on the rare occasion, just live and let live and maybe join in once in a while, you might find how infectious the laughter can be and realise you have been missing out on a whole other facet of the game.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    cold4 wrote: »

Ignoring unsociable behaviour is not and cannot be the answer in any community.
    Oh for the love of Gorn get off your high horse. You don't like it turn off the zone chat. Stop trying to force your values on everyone. Stop trying to bully people to comply with your wishes. Oh yeah ignoring unsociable behaviour WORKS!
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    HEY! I have the right to Gorn Spam just like.you have the right to Caitian Bacon or even Feresan Apple Pie! Gorn Spam for everyone!
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    semalda226 wrote: »
    HEY! I have the right to Gorn Spam just like.you have the right to Caitian Bacon or even Feresan Apple Pie! Gorn Spam for everyone!

That is actually pretty funny :D

But, in all seriousness, the key word the OP used is "spam". No, not the "meat". We are all free to do what we enjoy in game, but we are not free to break the rules. Spamming is against the rules. So whether someone is doing it for a joke or not, if someone is spamming, they are breaking the rules. So like I said earlier, if someone is spamming and it bothers you, report or ignore them.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Yeah. Stop the Gorn jokes!

My incoherent, exposing my poor education, political tirades are getting pushed out of the window too fast!

[Unnecessary comment modded]
    Post edited by jodarkrider on
    <3
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Just turn off Zone chat.

YES....why bother Cryptic with making them police behavior.

If you don't like it then just turn the channel OFF. I personally dont use either Zone or local chat at all. At times when you need it for instance on Defera ground invasion or the like to get into teams you can turn on/off immediately. Easy fix EVER!!!​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    why not join in for once and try to have some fun after all isn't that the whole point of the game.
    its not like its going on 24/7, its only once in a while and its not like its meant to upset anyone, its just to make people laugh and smile for a little bit.
    its especially useful during an event to break up the monotony of the grind for a few minutes.
    with whimsical names it the game like gorn and breen some players cant resist a bit of levity on the rare occasion, just live and let live and maybe join in once in a while, you might find how infectious the laughter can be and realise you have been missing out on a whole other facet of the game.

Bobby; shoehorning the word Gorn into various film titles regardless of whether it makes sense or not is not fun or funny.
    It does not just go for a few mins, it goes on for hours, the same tortured film titles with the same word, repetiton is an understatement.
    ssbn655 wrote: »

With respect, again, ignoring a situation where one particular group actively takes over one whole section of the community to the detrement to the community as a whole is not a healthy way for that community to progress.

Oh for the love of Gorn get off your high horse. You don't like it turn off the zone chat. Stop trying to force your values on everyone. Stop trying to bully people to comply with your wishes. Oh yeah ignoring unsociable behaviour WORKS!

I will try to force my values on this issue, my values are for EVERYONE to be able to use a function in the game and not have valid comments, interesting points, funny or witty jokes, requests for help or fleet ad's being drowend out by the SAME Gorn spam that goes on for hours
    semalda226 wrote: »

Credit where credit is due, well played.
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    No wonder no one wants to talk about tge mystery meat in spam... its Gorn.
  • Options
    storules wrote: »
    Just turn off Zone chat.

If you don't like it then just turn the channel OFF. I personally dont use either Zone or local chat at all. At times when you need it for instance on Defera ground invasion or the like to get into teams you can turn on/off immediately. Easy fix EVER!!!​​

Why bother ?

Because it is their responsibilty

Turning off zone/general chat is the simple solution, not nessesarily the right one. I believe I justified my reasons why spamming of this nature should be stopped, so I'm going to turn it around and challenge the spammers to justify their reasons for spamming the same twisted attempts at word play for hours on end.
  • Options
    cabezadetortugacabezadetortuga Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    Sure thing I'll get right on it. The spam will be...

*puts on sunglasses*

Gorn in 60 Seconds
  • Options
    angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User

Between those I much prefer the Gorn jokes. :p
  • Options
    storules wrote: »
    Just turn off Zone chat.

Why bother ?

Because it is their responsibility

Turning off zone/general chat is the simple solution, not necessarily the right one. I believe I justified my reasons why spamming of this nature should be stopped, so I'm going to turn it around and challenge the spammers to justify their reasons for spamming the same twisted attempts at word play for hours on end.

How much are you willing to pay every month to fund the chat moderation? $5/month? $10/month?

Cryptic could disable chat completely, that would fit a F2P budget nicely. Or they can let it run wild and free, Gorn with the wind, and let those bothered by it turn off chat.
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    *Wonders if Sigorny Weaver would be will to step up and champion the cause against Gorn Joke oppression?*
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Dave, it isn't a question of how much anyone should have to pay, it's Cryptic's responsibility (the same as it is for any host of an online community). Would you pay your local police extra so that they perform the duties that are already theirs ?
  • Options
    pred129apred129a Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Really? no one posted this yet? For Shame internet....
  • Options
    Dave, it isn't a question of how much anyone should have to pay, it's Cryptic's responsibility (the same as it is for any host of an online community). Would you pay your local police extra so that they perform the duties that are already theirs ?

From Cryptic's point of view:

a) Pay staff salaries to moderate chat in real time, or at least to have employees manage unpaid suckers doing it for free
    b) Leave chat unmoderated
    c) Disable chat

Options b) and c) make the most sense since no one is paying Cryptic to offer chat services and they are not obligated to offer chat at all.

Go to char in SWTOR or WoW and you'll see gorn farmer spam, politics and nonsense there too. I understand that public chat in most games is a wretched hive of scum and villainy.
  • Options
    The moderation does not have to be in real time, Cryptic like any other MMO employs GM's that are supposed to respond to reports or compliants. All that has to happen is a for them to utilize the assets already in place.

I understand and have witnessed too that other games have the issue, but accepting it here because it isn't as bad as in XYZ isn't a viable solution either. Replace Chat spam in whatever form it comes in with a real life situation hunger, poverty, crime etc and saying "well, I know it's bad....but at least it's not as bad as in [insert country/community/culture]" is not a policy that would satisfy anyone.

These examples do take the theory to the extreme, but the theory is still valid
  • Options
    nepsthennepsthen Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited February 2016

Go to char in SWTOR or WoW and you'll see gorn farmer spam, politics and nonsense there too. I understand that public chat in most games is a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Gorn farming is a tradtion of many MMORPGs. We just have more cannibal hologorns. Unlike WoW, we don't have Gorn flamingo mounts. SWTOR has its own problems with the Gorn menace like you said. A new hope for many researchers of this phenomenon would be to find the undiscovered Gorn nemesis.
    DxDiag64 dump 19Feb2016: http://pastebin.com/1c0pkEuw
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User

From Cryptic's point of view:

a) Pay staff salaries to moderate chat in real time, or at least to have employees manage unpaid suckers doing it for free
    b) Leave chat unmoderated
    c) Disable chat

Options b) and c) make the most sense since no one is paying Cryptic to offer chat services and they are not obligated to offer chat at all.

Cryptic never has moderated any form of chat, its wild and free. Dave has shown why.

Cryptic isn't obligated to moderate chat since nobody pays them for the privilige to chat. And free unmoderated chat is the cheapest of all those options. Its just the way they run their games.

I'm not bothered by Gorn jokes, occasionally I even find it funny. If other people don't like it they're free to disable chat.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Jawa-na know what they're Gorn-a do about it? The same thing EAware does about Jawa jokes in their general chat.... Not a Gorn damned thing.

Its fun to start Jawa Joke spam in STO chat while the Gorn thing goes on tho and vice versa... only managed it once in swtor tho
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,034 Community Moderator
    STO has Gorn Jokes, TOR has Jawa Jokes, and WoW has Merloc Jokes. There's even a frickin' T-Shirt inspired by one of the Merloc Jokes invlolving... Merlocos.

Gorn Jokes are here to stay. Frankly I prefer those to the racist, paranoid, nutjob political rants that sometimes occurs in ESD. Probably why I hung out so much at K-7. Almost all the comforts of ESD without the stupidity of said rants. So like what everyone else said, feel free to disable Zone Chat. Or set up a seperate Zone Chat tab that you can switch to on the fly. Gorn Jokes come up, switch to your fleet tab. Not part of a fleet? just switch to a tab with Zone turned off.

Unfortunately (regarding the rants)... there is such a thing as Freedom of Speech. However I do wish there were some Mods or someone who would deal with the rants as sometimes those get quite offensive. I tend to add to my Ignore list when people get offensive and attack people for disproving their rants or saying "I'm right despite not having ANY proof to back me up, you're wrong, this is how it is, hate hate rant rant".
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.