What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gorn Spam

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Unfortunately (regarding the rants)... there is such a thing as Freedom of Speech.

"Freedom of Speech" means the *government* doesn't arrest you if they don't like your opinion. It has *nothing* to do with what people can say in video game chat or on message boards like this.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,150 Community Moderator
    Well they sure exercize it a lot when they do the stupid rants in Zone. Doesn't matter what anyone says either. ESD Zone Chat can be a cesspool yes, but not because of a themed MMO Joke.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    I think Gorn jokes are okay if they're original (meaning, not the same "gorn with the wind" et al. you always see). For example:
    • metallica, st. angorn
    • have you visited the ruins at angorn wat?
    • did you know that the first man in space wasn't human? yuri gagorn

Made those all up myself just now. Have they appeared before? Maybe. Probably. But it sure isn't "gorn in 60 seconds."
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    The OP is replying in a contrary, hostile manner to nearly every post in this thread where the poster disagrees with him.

Does this behavior meet the criteria his original post was firmly against? I put it to you, Ladies and Gentlemen of the Internet. Is his/her/whatever behavior the act known as spamming? Is he/she a producer of spam? And, if he/she is spamming about the behavior of other spammers does this not mean the pot has just called the kettle black?

Spam against people spamming Gorn jokes in Zone Chat in the game. Oh my!
    Whatever has the Internet degenerated to? :P
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,150 Community Moderator
    I'd kinda have to agree with you @thunderfoot006
    The OP seems to be taking it a bit personal, even with viable advice from veterans who are used to it, and may even take part every once in a while for a good laugh.

In all honesty, Gorn Jokes are innocent. Its the OTHER things that come up in Zone that need to be watched, such as the political rants that degrade into hate filled paranoia propaganda.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Ah but you've forgotten that some people think the 1st part of being a true Star Trek fan is having your sense of humor surgically removed. See it all the time ingame. Someone cracks a joke to ease the tension or th boredom and almost immediately somone else takes offense.

"Hurr Durr there! This is Star Trek! There is no funny ha-ha in Star Trek! The very idea! Hurr Durr! Stop having fun! Stop it I say!
    Stop playing this game if you cannot take it as seriously as I do! After all, this is an acceptable alternative to real life,
    hurr durr!"
  • Options
    Then I guess I'm a repeat offender, as I still have an intact sense of humor.

Then again... I guess I'm also a mutant as I also like Star Wars, Stargate, Wing Commander...
  • Options
    If your crew ever needs someone to be the plucky comic relief, I am volunteering, lol.
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    *inserts random comment about removing the gorncob from your posterior*
  • Options
    Now you've gorn and done it! Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    I put it to you, Ladies and Gentlemen of the Internet.

Great quote :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    aethon3050aethon3050 Member Posts: 599 Arc User
    cold4 wrote: »
    Cryptic, please put a stop to the constant and overwhelming Gorn spam, all other chat just gets swallowed up in the spam that seems at least to be on a 5 min repeat cycle.

They probably aren't doing it just to annoy you; they're most likely getting a trill out of it, in some way or another. Just ignore them, and before you know it, they'll have gorn somewhere else.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    I don't know, @thunderfoot006 but accusing the OP of spamming in this thread might be a bit over the top, especially since the have less posts on this topic than there are in the little back-and-forth here between you and Rattler.

That aside, I think there are bigger issues out in the game that Cryptic should address long before they come down on Gorn Jokes. How about the complete lack of Bacon as a consumable device on game? That right there is unbelievable.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    ajalenajalen Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    OP just consider Gorn jokes as spamm , let devs judge if he have right .......

for me :
    in game where i each day fight with booring grind , BFAW spamming pugs ( objectives ? what ? BFAW all ! ) , bugs etc.....
    is nice to see few good Gorn jokes in chat , instead toxic morons , gold sellers , DPS- kings ....
    mzspQIG.jpg

• Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    Spam is delicious....with gorn on the cob.

• Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Cryptic, please put a stop to the constant and overwhelming Gorn spam, all other chat just gets swallowed up in the spam that seems at least to be on a 5 min repeat cycle.

turn off local and zone in your chat settings, i havent used those in about 2 years now.
  • Options

turn off local and zone in your chat settings, i havent used those in about 2 years now.

Based on a couple of the responses the OP gave... I think a response would be "Why should I turn it off when they are the ones violating the rules?"

And frankly, the rules on spamming do not say anything about Gorn Jokes. I'm pretty sure it means gold selling spam that advertises 3rd Party stuff.

I also don't understand why the OP is latching on to the Gorn Jokes and not the cesspool rants that usually dominate ESD Zone.
  • Options
    Sector Zone is nearly as bad. But I do enjoy taking a break from the grind, and laugh at the trolls and countertrolls (with popcorn and Pepsi). And sometimes I'll join in on the festivities, especially if it involves our beloved bad Gorn puns.
  • Options
    If the OP doesn't like ESD Zone... wonder what the thoughts would be on Drozana the Red Light District?

And I have been known to partake in the Gorn... I've seen some repeats, but there have also been a few good ones too.
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Granted... I may be waaay off base here...

But...

Perhaps the OP is irritated by the Gorn nonsense because it keeps others from seeing his own rants?
  • Options
    I haven't been to the Droz in a while, except to zip in and out for Omega traces. Is Droz Zone still wild?
  • Options

Based on a couple of the responses the OP gave... I think a response would be "Why should I turn it off when they are the ones violating the rules?"

And frankly, the rules on spamming do not say anything about Gorn Jokes. I'm pretty sure it means gold selling spam that advertises 3rd Party stuff.

I also don't understand why the OP is latching on to the Gorn Jokes and not the cesspool rants that usually dominate ESD Zone.

Thats true though if he wont turn off zone and local then he need not complain, if your going to stick your hand in the fire, dont complain about it burning you.
  • Options
    I haven't been to the Droz in a while, except to zip in and out for Omega traces. Is Droz Zone still wild?

That is a good question. I haven't been sent there yet so... don't know.
  • Options

That is a good question. I haven't been sent there yet so... don't know.

From what ive heard , whats done at droz stays at droz, and if you have sensitive eyes keep zone and local off, till droz is several lightyears behind you.
  • Options
    Wow... so the Drozana Red Light District still lives huh?
  • Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    aethon3050 wrote: »
    They probably aren't doing it just to annoy you; they're most likely getting a trill out of it, in some way or another. Just ignore them, and before you know it, they'll have gorn somewhere else.

I would just like to say I see what you did there. Now you've gorn and done it! :D:D:D

Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    Captian's Log: Stardate 93695.62
    It has been a strange day...
    We were enroute to Starbase 24 for routine maintenance when we were cutoff by one of those blasted Caitian Cat Buses and were forced to drop out of warp to avoid hitting them. I happened to make a comment about how "It would be a cold day in hell before I let this pass!" and ordered the ship to pursue them. My Breen Science officer seemed to take offense to this and asked "Is that supposed to be a joke?" To which I replied "No if I wanted a joke I'd just hail them and let a Dogishuian bark at them a few times! You can bet they'd be Gorn in a flash!" In hindsight this may have been a poor choice of word play as my Breen Science Officer went very silent and I heard a few muted groans from the Bridge Crew. Later that day in the mess hall my Helmsman Lt. Kayden sat next to me and asked how my Spam was I replied "it's fine thanks for asking!" To which he replied " But it's Gorn!" I was perplexed by this and asked "What do you mean it's gone it's clearly on my plate....oh I get it..." Lt. Kayden then stood up and said "Not soo funny is it?!" And stormed off. All in all a strange day....
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    *dies laughing*
    Well done semalda. Well done.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    semalda226 wrote: »
    HEY! I have the right to Gorn Spam just like.you have the right to Caitian Bacon or even Feresan Apple Pie! Gorn Spam for everyone!

Spamming is against the rules. So whether someone is doing it for a joke or not, if someone is spamming, they are breaking the rules.

so in that respect virtually everything you see on zone chat is spam if its not something you actually want to see which is basically most of what you see.
    perhaps they should remove chat altogether and just rely on personal mail from now on.
    why not join in for once and try to have some fun after all isn't that the whole point of the game.
    its not like its going on 24/7, its only once in a while and its not like its meant to upset anyone, its just to make people laugh and smile for a little bit.
    its especially useful during an event to break up the monotony of the grind for a few minutes.
    with whimsical names it the game like gorn and breen some players cant resist a bit of levity on the rare occasion, just live and let live and maybe join in once in a while, you might find how infectious the laughter can be and realise you have been missing out on a whole other facet of the game.

Bobby; shoehorning the word Gorn into various film titles regardless of whether it makes sense or not is not fun or funny.
    It does not just go for a few mins, it goes on for hours, the same tortured film titles with the same word, repetiton is an understatement.

that's just your opinion, when they make you zone chat censor you will have the right to dictate what can and cant be said in chat, until that time if others find it fun you have no right to dictate that it is not.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    Good Lord! I can just imagine how the OP would have reacted to the Chuck Norris jokes of 10 years ago.... I miss the good ole' days!
This discussion has been closed.