Install Arc
Options

Gorn Spam

Comments

• Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    ltminns wrote: »
    I created a Chat Tab just for Teams that I use for PVE or other times when grouped. Only stuff going there is the Team Chat. No excess stuff to contend with.

Newer players may not know how to do this though. When they first enter the game and are spammed by either gold sellers or when they see the political/religious/Gorn nonsense in Zone chat, it's generally a lot easier to minimise the chat rather than to look for options to create seperate chats, disable certain channels etc.

And once they've basically removed their chat from their screen entirely, it becomes very hard to reach them later on, when they start playing STF's and don't know what to do.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    cold4 wrote: »
    aliguana wrote: »
    my only issue with Gorn Mass-hysteria (which is what happens), its that it completely locks up chat for an hour at a time. Yesterday someone posted a gameplay question but it just got drowned out by "Gorn with the Wind!" "The Gorn Identity" etc etc . and there was an answer, but again that scrolled off the page quicker than anyone could read it.

there should either be a "help" channel (built-in, not opt-in) or a "bad Gorn jokes and sillyness" channel lol

you can pause and scroll back chat you know.

Bobby you seem insistent that users of zone chat make all the concessions, "pause and scroll back" or turn off zone chat. An alternative is that the Gorn spammers find the their own little used Gorner of the galaxy like Risa or Vulcan so that they can spam away to their hearts content. The added bonus being you will always have a receptive audience.

why should it be the players who enjoy all kinds of chat - jokes included - who need to find their own little used corner to chat, why not just make you own channel for serious chat only(no jokes allowed) and see how much company you get to chat with there.
    you can even moderate it yourself and tell players to leave if they don't follow your rules.

You expect others who do not partake in this spamming to make concessions, whilst they are arguably in the majority.

Also, I have asked and I am yet to recieve an answer as to why repeating the same thing over and over for hours on end is funny, perhaps you could supply the answer?

NOTE: I said spammers, not people who tell jokes.

its not spamming just because you say it is, its just harmless chat like any other harmless chat, it is you insisting that you don't want to see it, why should we have to move just because you (who are just as arguably not in the majority) don't like our chat, you forget we might not like your meandering waffle any more then you like our occasional banter but we are not insisting you leave just proposing a way for you to avoid chat you obviously don't want to see.

the majority of users are not on for hours and hours, they might log in crack a few gorn gags if they see others doing it, do a few event missions and log out within an hour maybe crack a couple more breen jokes before they leave.
    yet another day they might log in see no jokes so just play a bit of the event stuff and log out without using chat at all.

it might appear that its just a few players cracking an endless stream of jokes over and over sometimes but most often if you took any notice you would see its just a very large number of different players telling one or two jokes each at most.
    hence repeated jokes as a player who has just logged in wont know what jokes were told 10 minutes ago.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    I just realised... whenever you create a new character, you get one chat screen with a lot of useless stuff in it: system messages, mission messages, zone chat, inventory: it's all in the same tab a few seconds after character creation.

Possibly another reason why people choose to minimise their chat entirely. Perhaps it would be better if these separate tabs for Zone chat are there by default, and that all the system and mission related info (that will usually appear on screen as well) is disabled by default as well.

I can imagine that, for newer players, all these different channels and are much more annoying than the zone chat they won't encounter until they go to ESD or the Beta Quadrant.

We know how to create separate tabs. Most newer players likely don't and it's the main reason why STF's are failing and some people may appear unwilling to learn in missions.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    its not spamming just because you say it is,

Correct. But conversely, just because *you* may think something is *not* spam does not mean it isn't. This is why we have dictionaries. If something fits the definition of spam, then it is. If it doesn't, then it's not. And if there is a disagreement, the GMs/mods get to decide.

For reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spamming

So, to recap:
    • Telling jokes in game is fine(as long as the subject matter does not break the TOS)
    • Spamming in game *IS* against the rules, regardless of *what* you are spamming about.

Long story short: if you are telling Gorn jokes that don't have any inappropriate subject matter, fine. If someone is "spamming" *anything*, then it is against the rules and should be reported/ignored.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    tinyfisted wrote: »
    *shrug* I'd much rather have Gorn jokes, 24/7, than the racist/sexist/otherwise-bigoted rants intermixed with incessant gold-spam we see otherwise. If you don't like it, turn it off.
    ^^ this zone chat can be awful and in many cases down right insulting, Gorn jokes are way WAY better than the hate speech that ironically come from an mmo set in a future where this TRIBBLE supposed to have stopped.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    *shrug* I'd much rather have Gorn jokes, 24/7, than the racist/sexist/otherwise-bigoted rants intermixed with incessant gold-spam we see otherwise.

Sad that it's dad joke-level Gorn puns that causes someone to take a stand but the regular knuckle-dragging TRIBBLE most players bash out on their keyboards gets nothing.
    <3
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    I am all for gorn jokes, I leave zone chat on to find normal people on the game. Now you got someone talking how a certain 2nd place finisher in Iowa is the wnd coming of Christ, I just right click and ignore.

Plus, your complaining about Gorn jokes over the really vile stuff that goes on there? 2 nights ago I had to report a few players for their graphic description how how they would put this games community manager in her place.

I follow this in chat:

1.not pay attention
    2. Ignore
    3. Report
    4. Troll
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    Gorn Jokes are eternal and not even the Mighty Q can abolish them. Personally I find it harmless and I roll my eyes every time I see em.
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    cold4cold4 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). Article 19 of the ICCPR states [...]

... Seriously? Hoookay....
    [...] that "everyone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference" and "everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression;

Only person I see trying to interfere with anybody's 'right to freedom of expression' is you, dear.

It seems as though you are not adverse to cherry picking what people have said or quoted, allow me than to refute your clumsily made accusation.

Things I have said in this thread

Actually, no it isn't JUST my opinion,

they however do not have any right to take over said channel.

'Dear'
  • Options
    aliguana wrote: »
    my only issue with Gorn Mass-hysteria (which is what happens), its that it completely locks up chat for an hour at a time. Yesterday someone posted a gameplay question but it just got drowned out by "Gorn with the Wind!" "The Gorn Identity" etc etc . and there was an answer, but again that scrolled off the page quicker than anyone could read it.

there should either be a "help" channel (built-in, not opt-in) or a "bad Gorn jokes and sillyness" channel lol

you can pause and scroll back chat you know.

Bobby you seem insistent that users of zone chat make all the concessions, "pause and scroll back" or turn off zone chat. An alternative is that the Gorn spammers find the their own little used Gorner of the galaxy like Risa or Vulcan so that they can spam away to their hearts content. The added bonus being you will always have a receptive audience.

why should it be the players who enjoy all kinds of chat - jokes included - who need to find their own little used corner to chat, why not just make you own channel for serious chat only(no jokes allowed) and see how much company you get to chat with there.
    you can even moderate it yourself and tell players to leave if they don't follow your rules.

You expect others who do not partake in this spamming to make concessions, whilst they are arguably in the majority.

Also, I have asked and I am yet to recieve an answer as to why repeating the same thing over and over for hours on end is funny, perhaps you could supply the answer?

its not spamming just because you say it is, its just harmless chat like any other harmless chat, it is you insisting that you don't want to see it, why should we have to move just because you (who are just as arguably not in the majority) don't like our chat, you forget we might not like your meandering waffle any more then you like our occasional banter but we are not insisting you leave just proposing a way for you to avoid chat you obviously don't want to see.

the majority of users are not on for hours and hours, they might log in crack a few gorn gags if they see others doing it, do a few event missions and log out within an hour maybe crack a couple more breen jokes before they leave.
    yet another day they might log in see no jokes so just play a bit of the event stuff and log out without using chat at all.

it might appear that its just a few players cracking an endless stream of jokes over and over sometimes but most often if you took any notice you would see its just a very large number of different players telling one or two jokes each at most.
    hence repeated jokes as a player who has just logged in wont know what jokes were told 10 minutes ago.

Courtesy of Dictionary.com

spamming (lowercase) Digital Technology. to execute (an action) or use (an item) rapidly or repeatedly in a video game:

Your example of how it might appear to be a few users but is actually more defines this as spam, the number of contributors does not stop it from being spam, this is defined by the volume.

• Options
    There have been a few comments as why I should be so focused on the Gorn spam and something more serious i.e. the Racist, Xenophobic, Homophobic etc. conversations.

Having an opinion on any particular topic does not exclude me from having an opinion on others, but getting spam of any kind moderated would mean that it would infinately easier to the GM's to tackle these more serious and offensive issues.

• Options
    gitmomoneysongitmomoneyson Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    OK, i'm going to break this down to is basic components:

OP doesn't like something, believes that everyone else is having fun incorrectly.

Everyone else, except noted rable-rouser grandnagus1 doesn't care.

Did we need 4 pages to figure this out?
  • Options

OP doesn't like something, believes that everyone else is having fun incorrectly.

Everyone else doesn't care.

It would seem we need more, as you have no idea what I've said.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Everyone else doesn't care.

Actually some of us do care, because the chat system is in need of some attention. Too many people have their chat disabled entirely, likely because of the issues the OP is describing, other forms of spam and the other reasons I've given above. Combined with the ease of minimising the chat vs creating different tabs, something that's nowhere documented AFAIK, this is actually causing problems for certain queues like KAGN.

Doesn't mean I agree with the OP entirely or that I don't, but you're oversimplifying things.
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Puns are jokes for people who think they are intelligent and know they aren't funny. These tiresome Gorn jokes are passed from one "comedian" to the next like the contents of the human centipede.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). Article 19 of the ICCPR states that "everyone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference" and "everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice". Article 19 additionally states that the exercise of these rights carries "special duties and responsibilities" and may "therefore be subject to certain restrictions" when necessary "for respect of the rights or reputation of others"

None of this applies to a video game lol.

Really, why not ?

• Options
    captaintroikacaptaintroika Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). Article 19 of the ICCPR states that "everyone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference" and "everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice". Article 19 additionally states that the exercise of these rights carries "special duties and responsibilities" and may "therefore be subject to certain restrictions" when necessary "for respect of the rights or reputation of others"

None of this applies to a video game lol.

Really, why not ?

Probably because people who get care mad about fictional lizard jokes arn't covered by international treaties.
  • Options
    Really, why not ?

Because the game environment is the property of PWE. It belongs to them and they set the rules. Why do you think you have forum admins and mods who can edit/remove posts here?

Kind of sad how willing you are to give up your basic human rights, I'm pretty sure PWE's code of ethics adheres to and abides by this international convention. The reason why you and I can discuss this point is directly because of that convention as it enforces civil rights.

• Options
    captaintroikacaptaintroika Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    Really, why not ?

Because the game environment is the property of PWE. It belongs to them and they set the rules. Why do you think you have forum admins and mods who can edit/remove posts here?

Kind of sad how willing you are to give up your basic human rights, I'm pretty sure PWE's code of ethics adheres to and abides by this international convention. The reason why you and I can discuss this point is directly because of that convention as it enforces civil rights.

Fine words from someone who misquoted the treaty in question, conveniently leaving out the exceptions which just so happen to punch giant glaring holes in your reason for even bringing it up.

Seriously I know some people are hardcore about the furry thing but you are being more than a little ridiculous here.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I just can't resist golden GREEN opportunities like this...

https://youtu.be/r08LX4CNo14

>:)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    YOU GET SOME GORN SPAM! *points the the poster above me* YOU GET SOME GORN SPAM! *points to the poster below me* I GET SOME GORN SPAM! EVERYBODY GETS SOME GORN SPAM! *Cheering begins*
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User

This doesn't have anything to do with civil rights.

Unless the OP feels disenfranchised, is part of a minority group class of people that are discriminated against on the basis of disliking Gorn jokes. Of course, legitimate minority groups of people through out the world have no legal standing to stand up in to those in their own country who discriminate against them. I think the OP needs to petition the UN for special recognition.

OR

I can just agree with valoreah, which is much easier.

OP agree to disagree, I dislike a number of things in the game and ppl who play, but I deal with it, without posting on the forums. Unless it comes to the dil exchange, 500 to 1!!!
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    Really, why not ?

Fine words from someone who misquoted the treaty in question, conveniently leaving out the exceptions which just so happen to punch giant glaring holes in your reason for even bringing it up.

Seriously I know some people are hardcore about the furry thing but you are being more than a little ridiculous here.

I didn't misquote anything, that was copied and pasted straight from wikipeadia, but as you brought them up, perhap you could provide the exception that punch these holes in my argument.

• Options

This doesn't have anything to do with civil rights.

It is the right of everyone to use any form of media to communicate with others about whatever they choose, in this case zone chat in STO. If however, due to the sheer volume of spam effectivley preventing normal usage of that chat facility then the individual rights to use it are denied.

Recently we all had trouble playing the game due a DDoS, to follow the pro Gorn argument we should have just allowed without complaint that person to carry on with their DDoS because it is his right to do whatever he wants, and if anybody should disagree, well they can just log off....right ?
This discussion has been closed.