What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gorn Spam

12346»

Comments

• Options
    cold4cold4 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Dragging this back to the original topic, despite asking no one as yet has been willing or able to justify in a reason argument why one or more individuals should be allowed to flood zone chat with spam (in this case Gorn spam) effectively denying others, due to the sheer volume of posts, their right to use this in game facility.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    violation of your civil rights? Someone call the ACLU this man has a case!

ACLU vs Gorn jokes United.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    cold4 wrote: »
    Dragging this back to the original topic, despite asking no one as yet has been willing or able to justify in a reason argument why one or more individuals should be allowed to flood zone chat with spam (in this case Gorn spam) effectively denying others, due to the sheer volume of posts, their right to use this in game facility.
    Actually, the flip side is that no one has proven that such a high volume of Gorn jokes has ever existed. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited February 2016

I don't think you have been able to make a reasoned argument why one or more individuals making Gorn puns has infringed upon your "right to use this in game facility" enough to infringe upon their "right to use this in game facility".

You have to show that they are causing more damage to you then your idea would to them. Is your enjoyment of chatting in-game more valuable then their enjoyment of sharing Gorn Puns in-game?

ETA:
    I am not a fan of the Gorn Pun floods, but I think you are not only barking up the wrong tree, I don't think you are even in the same continent as the tree.​​
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2016

as i said in an earlier comment - its hardly flooded, there were many other conversations going on at the same time and you know what, not one of them moaned about gorn jokes.
    so I guess your definition of flooded differs from mine and the previous comment counteracts your judgement that it was "effectively denying others, due to the sheer volume of posts, their right to use this in game facility."

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Once again, the "right to free speech" means that the *GOVERNMENT* isn't supposed to arrest you for having an opinion they don't like. It's original intent was to allow people to voice their opinions and complaints about politics and religion without government persecution. This has *NOTHING* to do with what a private individual or group allows to be discussed in their private home or location.

Example: you have the right to decide what is acceptable speech in *YOUR* private home. If someone is at your home and says things you don't like, you have the right to kick them out. Their "freedom of speech" has nothing to do with the fact that you control who gets to be in your house, for whatever reason you want.

Likewise, this game and this forum are Cryptic's house. They only allow us to be here if we follow their rules. If we break their rules(which you have to agree to just to sign up), then they get to kick us out the same way you could kick someone out of your house for not following your rules. Your "freedom of speech" has nothing to do with any of that.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    valoreah wrote: »
    Google says About 3,440,000 results when you search for International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights

Which one did you use, because I'd really like to find about how private companies are allowed to ignore civil rights.

You're searching a very broad term. Try a simple, basic question like "do individuals have First Amendment rights on private property?".

You are lacking a very critical piece of understanding with what you are attempting to talk about in that private organizations, like PWE who own STO, have just as many rights as an individual, if not more.

As I have tried explaining before, you do not have the right to free speech on privately owned spaces. PWE has every right to censor anything you post here or in their game world as they see fit as you are speaking on their private property.

Again, do the research and educate yourself. Knowledge is your friend.

in that case as they don't censor gorn jokes or tribble, epohh or breen jokes I guess they think they are ok.
    your right that Knowledge is my friend.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,150 Community Moderator
    Paging @jodarkrider @pwlaughingtrendy
    Can we have a verdict on this rant? I seriously doubt civil rights are being infringed upon and the OP is being rather combative even when viable suggestions are provided.

As for the argument:
    Seriously? Citing a treaty that binds GOVERNMENTS and claiming your CIVIL HUMAN RIGHTS are being violated over something so simple as Gorn Jokes?
    Sit your Rights down.

While I do respect that you recognize how volitile Zone can get with the rants and hate, focusing all your energy like this against innocent Gorn Jokes and comparing them to DDoS attacks which are illegal and actually cause harm is, quite frankly, taking it a little too far. If you were being this passonate about stopping the hate rants, I'd actually be supporting your stance as those things are NOT condusive to a friendly gaming environment.

We are all entitled to our opinions, however you're not letting this go at all even when we have suggested ways to not see it even on a temporary basis. I don't always have Zone active in my main chat tab. I do have a seperate chat tab dedicated to Zone Chat in case I want to poke my head in easily. There are ways to work within the system itself without infringing on other people's rights. Also, we are in a game that is played all over the world. You going to complain that not everyone speaks English next when, say, a German fleet is announcing they are recruiting? This whole thing can snowball out of control. Where does it end?

You kinda have to see things from both sides.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Google says About 3,440,000 results when you search for International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights

Which one did you use, because I'd really like to find about how private companies are allowed to ignore civil rights.

You're searching a very broad term. Try a simple, basic question like "do individuals have First Amendment rights on private property?".

You are lacking a very critical piece of understanding with what you are attempting to talk about in that private organizations, like PWE who own STO, have just as many rights as an individual, if not more.

As I have tried explaining before, you do not have the right to free speech on privately owned spaces. PWE has every right to censor anything you post here or in their game world as they see fit as you are speaking on their private property.

I searched using the title of the convention used by the poster, and I think you'll find that is a very specific term, but that brings lots of results when searched for.

I introduced wikipedia's info on Civil rights, but only to show the limitations of the freedom of speech, I have the right to free speech or freedom of expression the same as everyone else, whether that be here in this private environment or public, however if the comments or actions made by me or anyone else infringe on others rights then I/we could face censorship. Of course PWE has the right to censor anything posted by anyone. the reason why I or indeed anyone else who has posted in this thread hasn't is because their censorship rules/guidelines follow the above principle.

Furthermore, I have never said anything to the contrary, reading throughly is your friend.
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »

The funniest thing in this thread (so far) is the OP's inability to see the huge hole in his logic. That being, if PWE/Cryptic does not have the right to limit speech in their game or forum then they would have no right to moderate either chat or the forum. Since he is asking them to moderate something then obviously he accepts that they do have the right to limit speech in their own property.

Yes, yes they do. Which is why I asked openly for them to do something about the spam, and I'm not specifically reffering to the content but the volume (yesterday evening GMT). I think you might have got a little sidetracked by all the other comments.

• Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    So @cold4 you want Cryptic to put an end of the Gorn jokes in zone? You going about this all wrong.

1.) Create a poll asking for the forum to vote on making gorn jokes a temp ban offense in game.

2.) Post on Trendy's twitter page informing her of the Gorn jokes in Zone.

3.) Post on Redit/sto with a topic that state you want or demand an answer by a Cryptic employee.

4.) Post on the steam forums the total lack of community and civility in the game.

5.) when you still don't get what you want, launch a DDos attack.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The fact is, just the very creation of this thread will help ensure that Gorn Jokes continue on.

If they know it bothers you this much, there is no way they're going to stop. If no one cared, they would get bored.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Woke up, checked the board after a nap, and found 58 new Notifications for 'Gorn spam,' with no way to turn the Notifications for this thread off. So, now I'm getting spam about Gorn spam. Great!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Woke up, checked the board after a nap, and found 58 new Notifications for 'Gorn spam,' with no way to turn the Notifications for this thread off. So, now I'm getting spam about Gorn spam. Great!

Would you say your decision to check this thread has gorn awry? ;)
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    Thread here today.
    Gorn tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.