test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

/// Proposal: Make All Orions Green ///

repetitiveepicrepetitiveepic Member Posts: 6,549 Arc User
Something that has never made sense to me is the color palette for Orions in STO. In Star Trek, Orions have green skin. Not pink or white skin, green skin.

It's kind of off putting to see so many 'orions' who are clearly just 'humans with skimpy clothes' because people make them with human, rather than orion skin tones.

A small change that would do a lot for Trek Immersion, Make Orions Green.

free jkname.

#MOGA Make Orions Green Again

zsoRuFM.jpg

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Pale blue-green.

latest?cb=20100510193012​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    I... agree with... repetitiveepic. I also feel dirty saying that.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    Who cares about immersion... Pop more discoballs...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    Color palettes in general could use something of an overhaul. Most of them are less than ideal.
  • Options
    admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    Orion skin color choices are probaly varied to allow wide customization to please all character concepts. Half Orions, or Orion citizens from a conquered planets culture, or Orions raised in a much different enviroment (like Romulans having ridges when the Vulcans clearly do not, even though they are practically the exact same species) Also. there are players (like me) that feel like the FASA game syatem had a much more exotic and interesting take on Orions than what became canon. They had at least three colors of Orion, Green, Ruddy, and Grey. Half Orions were shameful outcasts in that verse though. Oh, and as mentioned, light blue green in TAS.

Basically I love the options. My Orions are all green, but I could have done a lot different with the freedom and options I was given, and that is the type of choice I want, even if I go all green in any case. Options allow me to have a KDF alien who is pretty much an Andorian (it would be an alien to Klingons, so why not?) I also have an Orion (UFP alien in green) in Starfleet! I love the ability to create characters, give them interesting bios for why they are where they are, and all that stuff.

I would rather be inclusive than exclusive. Romulans in the UFP should be able to get the Vulcan CStore Ship, Rommies in the KDF should be able to by K'tinga battlecruisers (D-7 as per the Enterprise Incident TOS) and things should be more open in general. I am really tired of not being able to do low level crossfaction teams. I also think a cross faction captured ship token could be cool to put in lock boxes in the future. Fed Klingon with a K'yinga? It's a captured ship, reflagged and put into service with the UFP. Justified with the in game token, so not everyone would have it. Or make the token a C-Store option.

More choices is always better for us, Green is beautiful, but not the whole universe :)

Qapla'
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Here here!
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    Hmm, first off. I'd rather not be green. (Haha? Just a little joke referring to my name.)

Secondly, if it's immersion you're after green Orions is just the tip of the iceberg. I must admit I find this argument rather amusing coming from you, considering your opinions about 'discoballs', which are questionable immersion-wise and most definately non-canonical, but I digress...

Don't get me wrong I do agree that Orions (the race, not me :p) should be green, or at least various greenish shades. However, changing the race after so many years would likley cause more complaints than it would quell. Not to mention it would reduce the number of character customization options, which I, and I assume a large majority of the playerbase, is opposed to.

I'd have to disagree with changing them after the fact, if you had a time machine I'd suggest traveling back to the Beta days and suggesting it then, but now? It's unlikely going to happen.

Also, even if the options for non-green colors were removed from the Orion (race) customization palette, it would not affect the multitudes of non-green Orions currently in existance. Changing those would require significant effort on the Dev's part, which would be better served programming new content and fixing things which are functionally broken.

Finally, while it would make sense (canon-wise) it would, in effect, be taking options from many customers to make a few happy. Hardly a good strategy from a business point of view. (Though I must admit, not a terribly persuasive argument considering we aren't speaking of any paid content.)

Darn Sundays, got nothing better to do than debate a fictional race's skin colors... I gotta find something more productive to do today. :/
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    Oh lawd, I see nothing good can come from this thread.
    Druk, give it up.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    So can we not just instantly start calling people names and throwing out words that attract my attention on a weekend? Kthx

FYI I agree with this oddly enough. They should be a greenish hue.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    the only way i could see this working is if orion outfits were added to alien gen. people who use white orions do it for the specific combination of human skin color and orion clothing, and if removed, it'd be either one or the other, which would end up making them lose customers, which means less money.

cryptic and sto is about making money, canon be damned. see every single lockbox/lobi ship.​​
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • Options
    orion0029 wrote: »
    Hmm, first off. I'd rather not be green. (Haha? Just a little joke referring to my name.)

Secondly, if it's immersion you're after green Orions is just the tip of the iceberg. I must admit I find this argument rather amusing coming from you, considering your opinions about 'discoballs', which are questionable immersion-wise and most definately non-canonical, but I digress...

Don't get me wrong I do agree that Orions (the race, not me :p) should be green, or at least various greenish shades. However, changing the race after so many years would likley cause more complaints than it would quell. Not to mention it would reduce the number of character customization options, which I, and I assume a large majority of the playerbase, is opposed to.

I'd have to disagree with changing them after the fact, if you had a time machine I'd suggest traveling back to the Beta days and suggesting it then, but now? It's unlikely going to happen.

Also, even if the options for non-green colors were removed from the Orion (race) customization palette, it would not affect the multitudes of non-green Orions currently in existance. Changing those would require significant effort on the Dev's part, which would be better served programming new content and fixing things which are functionally broken.

Finally, while it would make sense (canon-wise) it would, in effect, be taking options from many customers to make a few happy. Hardly a good strategy from a business point of view. (Though I must admit, not a terribly persuasive argument considering we aren't speaking of any paid content.)

Darn Sundays, got nothing better to do than debate a fictional race's skin colors... I gotta find something more productive to do today. :/

They've made a large number of changes 'after the fact' and people just live with it.

If you can have orions who aren't green, why not bolians and andorians who aren't blue, or gorn with human heads?

Aye, the Devs have made many 'after the fact' changes, however we all still see players with 'glitched' outfits and uniforms which by all current means should not exist. So changing the Orion color palette would not 'fix' any current non-green Orions. To do that would involve a rather invasive mucking around with everyone's character uniforms. A process which would take many developer man-hours...

Would you be willing to give up a season update just to change the color palette of one race? Because, that's likely the amount of effort it would require from the devs to go through and change every Orion player character to green. (I may be exaggerating, but you see the point, yes?)
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    As much as I'm going to kick myself for bringing it up -

If cryptic was only about money there would be a t6 Connie ;)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    lljkaxeylljkaxey Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I support more realistic Orions, also I want more battle armor for Orion females. Lets face it, it would be better at sustaining a direct disruptor bolt and the game would be closer to the way it should be. It would be an easy change just remove the orion clothing completely replace with good strong klingon clothing and then it would be perfect.
    “Change is the essential process of all existence.” – Spock

mBZOV9l.png
  • Options
    lljkaxey wrote: »
    I support more realistic Orions, also I want more battle armor for Orion females. Lets face it, it would be better at sustaining a direct disruptor bolt and the game would be closer to the way it should be. It would be an easy change just remove the orion clothing completely replace with good strong klingon clothing and then it would be perfect.

That would make sense, Bikinis do not stop disruptor bolts...

Perhaps Cryptic can make the Orion Bikini a form of 'social zone only' clothing item? Like the Summer swimwear, though they'd have to fix that for KDF aliens... :/
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    askray wrote: »
    As much as I'm going to kick myself for bringing it up -

If cryptic was only about money there would be a t6 Connie ;)

What happened to my post? Did you delete it? I don't see anyone else here who could have done that but you.​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options

They've made a large number of changes 'after the fact' and people just live with it.

If you can have orions who aren't green, why not bolians and andorians who aren't blue, or gorn with human heads?

Aye, the Devs have made many 'after the fact' changes, however we all still see players with 'glitched' outfits and uniforms which by all current means should not exist. So changing the Orion color palette would not 'fix' any current non-green Orions. To do that would involve a rather invasive mucking around with everyone's character uniforms. A process which would take many developer man-hours...

Would you be willing to give up a season update just to change the color palette of one race? Because, that's likely the amount of effort it would require from the devs to go through and change every Orion player character to green. (I may be exaggerating, but you see the point, yes?)

Nah they'd just change the colors in the palate, and when you used the character creator you'd never be able to save an orion with the old skin color. That's how previous retroactive changes have worked.

True, it would retroactively change player's 'costumes' when they edit them, yet we still see players with obviously glitched outfits... likely because they never edited them after the 'tailor glitch' was fixed.

What would you suggest to do about those players?
  • Options
    ... snip (too many previous quotes lol) ...

If they want to change their outfit, they have to be an actual Orion.

If they don't, not the end of the world.

A simple solution, no argument there. But it doesn't change the fact that the devs would likely endure many complaints from players about the removed options.

Since the color palettes aren't causing any functional issues, it could be argued "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

It is also a matter of personal preference if a player chooses to make a non-green Orion.

It's also not any more game-breaking or immersion breaking than discoballs. Which are either loved, hated, or ignored, and the Devs have done little to accomidate the players who hate them (aside from the nullifier which elmininates the invouluntary dancing but does not remove the immersion breaking visuals)... See where I'm going?

What is unpleasant for some may be enjoyable for others.
  • Options
    Ok, no disrespect to Druk or anyone, but the first orion we see on screen that is not a "green Orion slave" woman is disguised as an Andorian. The next Orion we see on screen is in the TAS episode that Artan42 shows us. In the TOS scene where the green skinned Orion slave woman appears, she is in a room full of non-green people, many of whom may have been Orions who were not 'green slave' Orions. Does this make sense so far?

There could easily be more than one color of Orion, and nothing in canon precludes it as a possibility, and in fact, only Enterprise makes a definite presentation of showing only, and lots of, green skinned Orions. I always figured that some of the guys in the scene from 'The Cage' were non-slave Orions. There was nothing to prove otherwise.

On the topic of racial color choices and slavery, we have thousands of years of Earth history pointing to one group or another enslaving their fellow humans, and as often as not along visible ethnic lines. Orions may have thrown off such differences as other races besides Orions became theor victims.

But also, as a player in a game with customizations, I may want to make an alien that has simlar traits to an Orion. The easiest way to do that is to start WITH an Orion! To make my Orions for the Romulans and Starfleet I had to use the Alien template, but there is no reason why if Starfleet can have Klingons, we can't all have Orions.

If this was a political forum, I'd say this smacked of racial purity politics. Your not Orion enough! You have to much pink skin so it's off to the 'relocation camp' for you ... Don't be like the Fleet you described that only wanted pale Orions with large assets! Be accepting of the IDIC. Nimoy would agree if he was still with us, I'll bet.

I just don't see any real point to this thread except that someone desires to enforce a narrow interpretation of the debatable canon appearances of a fictional races allowable morphological variance! Given that we have so little in the way of tools now to simulate the tens of thousands of humanoids in the Star Trek universe already, I am not in favor of removing any of them to satisfy any one persons vision of Orion ethnic purity.

Not trying to flame here, but this thread is really not going to make anyones life better. Just make your own racial purity Fleet and don't let Orions who aren't gren enough into it. I officially feel less guilty now for ranting elsewhere about flawed PVE. Yours or someone elses toons skin doesn't cost you Fleet marks or rewards. I would politely say it's time to move on.

Qapla.
  • Options
    I'd just like to point out I'm not opposed to a green(ish) palette for Orions. What I am opposed to is the removal of customization options which have been around for years.

Many players who have Orion characters make them non-green for various reasons, to change it now could offend those players and invalidate the reasons they made Orion characters.

Also removing features from a game (which I might add are not 'functionally broken' or of subpar quality) seems like an arbitrary and unnecessary act.
  • Options
    To all, just embrace the concept of the IDIC. Infinite diversity, in infinite combinations. Let this go :)
  • Options
    The point is what makes orions orions is green skin. Otherwise they're not orions. That's what signified 'an orion' in star trek, green makeup. They didn't have all the money in the world to do elaborate makeup and costumes back then. So they stuck with simple stuff. They made orions green.

I see your point, however...

How many alien races in Star Trek, TNG, or even DS9 looked identical to Humans, what made these minor races unique? Betazoids for instance, look identical to humans, aside from their mental abilities there would be no telling them apart aside from a medical exam.

Then there is potential cross... marriage. Over the centuries it is feasable that many Orions have propagated with other species, resulting in potential skin tone changes... This is the 25th century, Humans have known about Orions since the late 22nd... that's long enough for the potential for some Orions to have enough human DNA to inherit human skin tones.

The list goes on, though I'd hate to consider the offspring of an Andorian and a Gorn... :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    theirresponsibletheirresponsible Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    So dose this mean Federation characters will be limited to one uniform option? The standard 2410 design with no options what so ever. All other clothing will be locked to off-duty areas so you can only wear it on Risa or the dance club. Because cannon only had a show wearing one uniform style on duty with a formal option for special receptions.

Limiting a players character creation options for one race to fit into a specific example so long after launch is a bad idea. The dark green skin could be the norm for the race, with lighter green near white being possible just not seen on screen. Others have pointed out there are sources that show other skin color options. If you think they are cannon or not is your choice.

In the end this is just another thread asking for limiting our content, our choices. Because it dose not fit into one persons idea of what is cannon, or there personal view of what is appropriate. If I could I would prevent Federation players from having there clothing the same shade as there skin color because they want it to look like the character is wearing nothing at all.

We all just need to accept that other have different ideas of what is acceptable and what is not. Star Trek cannon allowed for surgical alteration of one species in to the appearance of another. In a game where we can run a duty officer mission such as sending a Surgically altering to Infiltrate X and assign a Horta to it. Who is to say those Orions decided to just not have the skin coloring reverted.

If someone wants an easy way to make a Human aligned with the KDF let them. Not everyone is good with the Alien gen.
This discussion has been closed.