test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How To Guide on how to Deal with Tenes

Comments

• Options
    esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    pando83 wrote: »
    I made your same calculations and that's why i decided to go after barkshield and not soulforged.
    That said... Greater is easy to get? Barkshield shards drop rarely from MoH skirmish as long as i know. You need 4 for a lesser, 16 for a normal, 64 for a Greater. Then, you need coalescent wards. 17 in total (4 for each normal, 1 to fuse the 4 normal into 1 Greater). In Dragon server they come at 100k AD each right now. Which means you need 1.7 mil AD and to farm the Barkshield shards.

I wouldn't call it easy... May be you know a easier way to get coalescent wards or Barkshield shards...

I see alot of shards on AH @ dragon. Greater one would cost 3.5m AD ( if you don't farm them)...that's a week or two of CN farming.

Easy for me... i don't know whats the scale of difficulty for you.
  • Options
    esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    rojor wrote: »

Tank specced players should not be able to do dps on the scale this enhancement enables them too, which is what the main topic of the thread, sure we have varying opinions on how to go about it, along with blatant vested interests. Attempting to suggest that this is anything other then an imbalanced item or to summarize your post -grind your *** off to counter the imbalance, is sheer lunacy.

DPS= Damage per second.

Tene = 7k Damage every 20 seconds, depending on your total HP.

So i have no freaking idea, why do you consider them DPS enchants.

I did grind my *** off to get my tenes, so why don't you also grind your *** off to get the thing that counters it? You make it sound like tenes are easier to get than these shards.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    esteena wrote: »
    DPS= Damage per second.

Tene = 7k Damage every 20 seconds, depending on your total HP.

So i have no freaking idea, why do you consider them DPS enchants.

I did grind my *** off to get my tenes, so why don't you also grind your *** off to get the thing that counters it? You make it sound like tenes are easier to get than these shards.

Players use bad terminology when trying to sum things up.

tene are HORRIBLE DPS. They are HORRIBLE for PVE. Hence why I stopped PVEing because they are jsut a flat out waste.

What they ARE though is AMAZING burst damage in pvp. Thats what I am assuming he means is, "Tank specced players should not be able to do BURST DAMAGE on the scale this enhancement enables them too"

I have to agree, hence why I am an advocate of changing them and I too Esteena had to GRIND MY *** OFF to get them.

What I would like to see is them LESS bursty for PVP and more DPS to balance the encahnt out some, making it STILL good in pvp but not as crappy in PVE.

You make a fair point though, if you had to grind a ton to get them, players SHOULD have to grind to coutner them. The PROBLEM with the counter is that you have to be out of combat to build stacks.

For some builds that is not viable. So while it CAN counter tene in SOME circumstances for some builds, dont act like this 1 armor enchant completely negates tene, because it doesnt. A TR for instance SHOULD have this as its BIS for them. A Sent GWF perhaps, are almost always in combat so it wouldnt help much. But then again, they dont really need the help either (see our other thread;) )
  • Options
    sunsfire2004sunsfire2004 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    good guy/guide
    still tens need to be fixed, well nerf to be exact.

If u are well geared and often do high lvl premade true tens are not op, but for the rest it is just a broken existence.

gtenes are high end gear look what ranks u can get for same cost g tene are not in **** 1k each section of the ah

it just don't tell you in your logs when your hit by 7 rank 10 enchantments or you would say that was op as well
  • Options
    gctrlgctrl Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    herk412 wrote: »
    Btw Gctrl..I want to give you a + 1 sir for a fine cleric build that I use to MUCH success on my cleric.

I tip my hat to you sir.

My pleasure :)
    Guild: Lemonade Stand | Server: Dragon (Original) | PvP Forever | 1og0s
    * TWITCH * YOUTUBE * MY GUIDES *
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    gtenes are high end gear look what ranks u can get for same cost g tene are not in **** 1k each section of the ah

it just don't tell you in your logs when your hit by 7 rank 10 enchantments or you would say that was op as well

Well the reason most R10s arent even worth it is 1) the cost 2) dim returns on stats.

The only thing that stacks linear is power and power doesnt scale impressively well on any class that I have testetd except a GF who gets double the benefit on Conq spec.

My math tests have shown that 2000 power = ~7% damage increase so...

If you have 7 offensive GTEs, you can potentially have 7*300 = 2100 power. So 7 GTE VERSUS 7 rank 10s = SLIGHTLY >7% damage increase.

Id rather have the 7000+ in necro damage on a burst timer.

Just my 2 cents. Most high end players are already hitting arp dim returns via stats/arp. Most players are hitting crit dim returns as well.

So power is really the only thing to stack at a certain point. That just goes to show, how much stronger tenes are than R10s...

IMO, dim returns should get moved back so you can stack more stats for better benefit, Regen dim returns need to be moved UP so players dont cheese build as much. Tene enchants need to be tweaked to INCREASE the DPS but DECREASE the burst damage.

The thing that would be very interesting to see is not diminishing returns but increasing returns on stats. The more power you stack the bigger benefit you get. It seems to me that this creates less of a "balance" and more of a "tradeoff"

I know there would be some potential gamebreaking there, but who cares if people stack 50% equiv armor pen. That just means they dont have alot of crit and not alot of power...

Vice Versa...
  • Options
    rojorrojor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    ayroux wrote: »
    Players use bad terminology when trying to sum things up.

tene are HORRIBLE DPS. They are HORRIBLE for PVE. Hence why I stopped PVEing because they are jsut a flat out waste.

What they ARE though is AMAZING burst damage in pvp. Thats what I am assuming he means is, "Tank specced players should not be able to do BURST DAMAGE on the scale this enhancement enables them too"

I have to agree, hence why I am an advocate of changing them and I too Esteena had to GRIND MY *** OFF to get them.

What I would like to see is them LESS bursty for PVP and more DPS to balance the encahnt out some, making it STILL good in pvp but not as crappy in PVE.

You make a fair point though, if you had to grind a ton to get them, players SHOULD have to grind to coutner them. The PROBLEM with the counter is that you have to be out of combat to build stacks.

For some builds that is not viable. So while it CAN counter tene in SOME circumstances for some builds, dont act like this 1 armor enchant completely negates tene, because it doesnt. A TR for instance SHOULD have this as its BIS for them. A Sent GWF perhaps, are almost always in combat so it wouldnt help much. But then again, they dont really need the help either (see our other thread;) )

Hah! sorry was tired when i typed my little schpeel ,but burst damage is definitely the best way to describe it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    esteena wrote: »
    I see alot of shards on AH @ dragon. Greater one would cost 3.5m AD ( if you don't farm them)...that's a week or two of CN farming.

Easy for me... i don't know whats the scale of difficulty for you.

clearly very different scale.

A week or two of CN farming... with? Guildies? How many times per day? Need a good guild. Try to join from queue and all you get is people inviting you then disbanding so that you've to die to respawn at campfire and get out.

Most of you top players in good guilds forget that normal players do not have the time/ money/ friends to achieve easily what you consider something "easy to get".

And 3.5 mil AD, at least for me, are definetely NOT something easy to get. I can find (not easy, but can find) runs for wolf den or some T1 dungeon. Joining for T2 usually you end up in a undergeared, unexperienced pug that can't make it to the final boss.

From dailies and selling stuff can usually get at best 20k AD a day.

I'd like to farm some ancient castle greatsword and sword knot to sell for 350/450k and 150/200k, respectively, every day. But it's not everyone can do, or else we would have all people at level 60 with perfect enchants and rank 10 enchats on top gear (considering a perfect now is 6 to 9 mil, 3 weeks of "CN farm" according to you...).

PS: shards are sold at 28k each right now... lol
  • Options
    kaylos29kaylos29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This discussion around whether tenebrous are counterable or not highlights the primary problem. PvP revolves around a single enchantment and any way to counter it. Instead of it being about classes, it is about building classes around this enchantment and building classes that can counter this enchantment. Remember the real problem is that it is unmitigated and unavoidable damage, so if any classes with them focus fire you, you are going down.

To be fair coordinating focus fire is hard enough for most average players, and harder against teams that actually use control to break up your ability to do so. That is the nature of teamwork. The problem is that even if you play well to avoid getting focus bombed, it doesn't matter because the unmitigated damage goes through anything you do.
    Mindflayer - Exodus
    Daria - Dwarf Sentinel GWF (mistaken for Halfling a lot)
    Karia (aka "The Pug") - Human Combat HR
    Kayd - Human Conqueror GF - Retired
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    pando83 wrote: »
    clearly very different scale.

A week or two of CN farming... with? Guildies? How many times per day? Need a good guild. Try to join from queue and all you get is people inviting you then disbanding so that you've to die to respawn at campfire and get out.

Most of you top players in good guilds forget that normal players do not have the time/ money/ friends to achieve easily what you consider something "easy to get".

And 3.5 mil AD, at least for me, are definetely NOT something easy to get. I can find (not easy, but can find) runs for wolf den or some T1 dungeon. Joining for T2 usually you end up in a undergeared, unexperienced pug that can't make it to the final boss.

From dailies and selling stuff can usually get at best 20k AD a day.

I'd like to farm some ancient castle greatsword and sword knot to sell for 350/450k and 150/200k, respectively, every day. But it's not everyone can do, or else we would have all people at level 60 with perfect enchants and rank 10 enchats on top gear (considering a perfect now is 6 to 9 mil, 3 weeks of "CN farm" according to you...).

PS: shards are sold at 28k each right now... lol

I dont have a guild (my guild consist of me and a friend. So we are only 2 players there), i farm CN through LFG channel and i ask for players who are capable to run it. I made 3 CWs 1 DC 1 TR parties for CN. I ask for 11.5k+ GS ones ( because the majority of high GS players are good).

I never queued for CN through queue system, i always form my own parties, and that's probably why you never get good parties. I add good players to my friend list, and i invite them again and again in my future runs.

I used to do 5 runs per day ( sometimes less, depends) and 1 run takes me 25mins with good party. So that's 2.5 hours of your precious time. I have a TR with greater vorpal and rank 8 enchants and fabled fomorian daggers ( the ones you craft using MC fragments ), and a GWF with 7x tenebrous & G.plague fire and G.Negation and a Cleric with rank 7s ( work on progress on this one).

Some of my friends already have perfect enchants from CN farming, so it is possible, you just are too lazy to do it.

Not anyone have the dedication to excel in this game, majority of people prefer the easy way and give up saying " nah it is too hard".

Top players didn't become top players from saying " it isn't possible/it is too hard for me" most of them paid real money or grinded their *** off for BiS, if you want to beat them? then you should do the same.

Get your BiS from T2, slot some rank 6s or even rank 5s, go to CN and MC and start farming them. Make your own parties and form a long friend list of remarkable players, that's how i did it and if i was able to do it, then so should be anyone else.

There are no "top players" and " normal players" only "good players" and "bad players". This game is easy, if you can't excel in it then it is totally your problem.

Have a good day.
  • Options
    sunsfire2004sunsfire2004 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    ayroux wrote: »
    Well the reason most R10s arent even worth it is 1) the cost 2) dim returns on stats.

The only thing that stacks linear is power and power doesnt scale impressively well on any class that I have testetd except a GF who gets double the benefit on Conq spec.

My math tests have shown that 2000 power = ~7% damage increase so...

If you have 7 offensive GTEs, you can potentially have 7*300 = 2100 power. So 7 GTE VERSUS 7 rank 10s = SLIGHTLY >7% damage increase.

Id rather have the 7000+ in necro damage on a burst timer.

Just my 2 cents. Most high end players are already hitting arp dim returns via stats/arp. Most players are hitting crit dim returns as well.

So power is really the only thing to stack at a certain point. That just goes to show, how much stronger tenes are than R10s...

IMO, dim returns should get moved back so you can stack more stats for better benefit, Regen dim returns need to be moved UP so players dont cheese build as much. Tene enchants need to be tweaked to INCREASE the DPS but DECREASE the burst damage.

The thing that would be very interesting to see is not diminishing returns but increasing returns on stats. The more power you stack the bigger benefit you get. It seems to me that this creates less of a "balance" and more of a "tradeoff"

I know there would be some potential gamebreaking there, but who cares if people stack 50% equiv armor pen. That just means they dont have alot of crit and not alot of power...

Vice Versa...

your maths seem way off to me and can u say what arp cap is for pvp plz ^^

5 g tene cost you like 15 mil + on mindflayer
    g barskin is like 4 mil

so costs you 4 mil to counter 15 mil how is that not fair

day they hand out items that cost 100ad or so that make items that cost millions useless is day most would stop playing
  • Options
    amenaramenar Member, NW_CrypticDev Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Howdy all -

We've been looking at the Tenebrous Enchant some more, and we have a few changes in the works that should be going to preview pretty soon. We've talked about various ideas on what to do, but this is what we've decided to look at first:

Currently, Tenebrous ignores three things that it is not supposed to ignore: Damage Resistance (from AC and Defense, mostly), Deflection, and Shift-Dodges (like the Trickster Rogue roll and Control Wizard teleport). It will no longer ignore these three things. This means the damage it deals will go down as you'll now be able to resist the damage, Deflect stat won't be wasted against it, and if you time your Shifts right, you can avoid the damage.

We'll be monitoring the change on Preview, and looking to see if it has the desired result.

Thanks for all your feedback, everyone!
  • Options
    pestilence149pestilence149 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    How are you able to nerf something 2 PLUS months down the road after already REMOVING them from the economy, already have previously NERFed these enchantments that people have paid GOOD Astral Diamonds for farming a ton AND/OR spending RL money on ZEN and changing Zen>AD to afford these Enchantments. This seems like such a slap in the face for some of the more hardcore players who devote a ton of time to playing/saving up to afford being BiS (Best in Slot). They made a counter to tenebrous enchantments, it's called Bark Shield, if you want to fix something fix the broken "dodge" because that is the only thing actually broken. I couldn't even imagine nerfing million of AD worth enchants just to see the community /rage flip. This isn't only In-game currency anymore people have spent RL Money, and what you are doing Blizzard was sued for previously if I'm not mistaken just saying think twice before you harm peoples hard-earned monies.

Sincerely,
    Pestilence
    Foundry Missions ;
    By ; @pestilence149
    Gladiators of Dhara (Easy) & (Hard)
    ELIGIBLE FOR THE DAILY FOUNDRY REWARDS!
    Search by Best : Name/Summary/Short-Code ; Gladiators
    NW-DJJS7OWZI (For easy)
    NW-DPT9I8RKF (For hard)

Any feedback and suggestions are welcome please enjoy!
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    amenar wrote: »
    Howdy all -

We've been looking at the Tenebrous Enchant some more, and we have a few changes in the works that should be going to preview pretty soon. We've talked about various ideas on what to do, but this is what we've decided to look at first:

Currently, Tenebrous ignores three things that it is not supposed to ignore: Damage Resistance (from AC and Defense, mostly), Deflection, and Shift-Dodges (like the Trickster Rogue roll and Control Wizard teleport). It will no longer ignore these three things. This means the damage it deals will go down as you'll now be able to resist the damage, Deflect stat won't be wasted against it, and if you time your Shifts right, you can avoid the damage.

We'll be monitoring the change on Preview, and looking to see if it has the desired result.

Praise God!!! Yes!
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    foosoofoosoo Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Howdy all -

In all honesty this is completely the wrong way to go. People have spent a lot of resources into getting these and you plan to just change them so radically? something like the bark shield that can negate the damage is more of a sensible way to go.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Hey all,

This is from the lead systems designer, amenar. It was posted in another thread but wanted to start a thread regarding the coming changes to Tenebrous enchantments.
    Howdy all -

Thoughts? I'm very excited!
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    To all of those complaining about spending money for their enchantments, many people did the same for the Stalwart set and High Vizier Set.

Considering how crazy OP tennys can be, did you seriously NOT see this coming?

Thank you, Devs! Heck you may finally get some of my money for this, I'm so dang happy! :cool:
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    butteredtoasttbutteredtoastt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hope you realize that stalwart is a t1 set, and High Viz isnt exactly hard to farm. You get these items for free. Someone had to pay money for keys to get tenes.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Someone had to pay money for keys to get tenes.

I know! And it wasn't me! ;)
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    overpowered in PVP because it's burst damage on a semi-long cooldown
    useless in PVE because it's burst damage on a semi-long cooldown

6-7 GTene teams will still steam roll pugs who will still cry about how OP/impossible/unfair it is.
    Tene's will still be out of favor for competitive/tournament style premade v premade. and since most of these teams are heavy defense builds and know how to use the dodge key tenes will fall even more out of favor with them and thus eventually with all premade vs premade teams.

There's been dozens of wonderful suggestions that would make stacking Tene's useless while still keeping 1-2 necessary for pvp, that also makes them useful for pve. This is like the opposite of that.
  • Options
    butteredtoasttbutteredtoastt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I know! And it wasn't me! ;)

Cuz you have no job ^^
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well, this is gonna make the perma-stealth, tenny-regen TR build hit like a bag of cotton balls. My CW and DC are happy. On the other hand, this is gonna make Sentinel GWF's deal no damage at all to GFs and other GWFs. Kinda makes GWF's...lamer.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    edited October 2013

6-7 GTene teams will still steam roll pugs who will still cry about how OP/impossible/unfair it is.
    Tene's will still be out of favor for competitive/tournament style premade v premade. and since most of these teams are heavy defense builds and know how to use the dodge key tenes will fall even more out of favor with them and thus eventually with all premade vs premade teams.

There's been dozens of wonderful suggestions that would make stacking Tene's useless while still keeping 1-2 necessary for pvp, that also makes them useful for pve. This is like the opposite of that.

I could care less about steam rolling pug teams. My guild does that in blues and greens. I'm very excited about PMvPMs now that tennys are being nerfed. That is very excited! Good job Cryptic!
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    llantissllantiss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ironic how a dev posts about a nerf in a solution thread, just laughable.

5 months+ into the game and apparently the enchant isn't working as intended, even tho it was "reworked" twice. my problem with these kind of posts is that this is a straight nerf to the ground, but its being communicated as an "excuse" like been done so many times in the past.

my other problem is that this isn't a solution, enchant cost: 4mil AH market price, unslot price 277x7 = 1.94mil. even in D3 when they tried pulling the same <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> they eventually turned the item into legacy and kept it intact.

Your approach is wrong and you are basically robbing alot of players, not talking about balance issues at all btw.
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Currently, Tenebrous ignores three things that it is not supposed to ignore: Damage Resistance (from AC and Defense, mostly), Deflection, and Shift-Dodges (like the Trickster Rogue roll and Control Wizard teleport). It will no longer ignore these three things. This means the damage it deals will go down as you'll now be able to resist the damage, Deflect stat won't be wasted against it, and if you time your Shifts right, you can avoid the damage

Fixing things to make them work how intended. I approve.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Cuz you have no job ^^

Because I'm smart enough not to pay for a F2P game! :cool:
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    To all of those complaining about spending money for their enchantments, many people did the same for the Stalwart set and High Vizier Set.

Considering how crazy OP tennys can be, did you seriously NOT see this coming?

Thank you, Devs! Heck you may finally get some of my money for this, I'm so dang happy! :cool:

I don't even use Tene's and I can already see how this could be way too much of a nerf. The dodge fix is necessary and totally reasonable. But when you go past that you're basically redefining what necrotic damage means. It's false advertisement and I suspect PWE will run into some legal trouble here because Tene's are essentially a real money item. People spent real money for keys to open boxes that had Tenes, those Tenes have a specific use that revolves around the function of necrotic damage (which by definition is true/pure damage: damage that cannot be mitigated). After the dodge fix is implemented the dev's need to tread lightly with any further changes.
  • Options
    lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    A big thank you for this fix!!! I know alot more players than me thank you as well.
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    lwedar wrote: »
    A big thank you for this fix!!! I know alot more players than me thank you as well.

Agreed! "I feel happy!!!"
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Currently, Tenebrous ignores three things that it is not supposed to ignore: Damage Resistance (from AC and Defense, mostly), Deflection, and Shift-Dodges (like the Trickster Rogue roll and Control Wizard teleport). It will no longer ignore these three things. This means the damage it deals will go down as you'll now be able to resist the damage, Deflect stat won't be wasted against it, and if you time your Shifts right, you can avoid the damage

Fixing things to make them work how intended. I approve.

Read the definition of Necrotic damage and you will realize how utterly fail your approval is.