What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Idea: Android For Lifers!

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    is there a difference between vets and lifers? lifers will eventually get to being vets, no way around it. non-lifers have to keep their dedication to the game to keep paying a monthly subscription.

I love the android idea, but make it available only through marks and accolades. It would be like crafting. You need exploration, honor, and valor marks. 5,000 marks to get the android (dedication anyone?) and exploration = better sci off, honor = better eng off, valor = better tac off. Exploration are easier to get, but without marks of honor and valor the android would be have low armor shielding and low dps. Accolades dictates which weapon energy type best suits the android, which has more tolerance to.

Great idea though, the devs should really consider implementing it.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think androids should only be available to engineers and it should be a long complicated multistep crafting task, involving multiple episode/missions.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    WarpVis wrote: »
    I think androids should only be available to engineers and it should be a long complicated multistep crafting task, involving multiple episode/missions.

The only problem with that is "crafting". Some of us don't like to craft, nor can be bothered to, which is why a Veteran Reward is the best option. It spites nobodies nose except those who leave.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    MGDawson wrote: »
    The only problem with that is "crafting". Some of us don't like to craft, nor can be bothered to, which is why a Veteran Reward is the best option. It spites nobodies nose except those who leave.

I don't like crafting either. I was just thinking of a process to keep their numbers relatively low. BOs can be transferred and traded (sold) so perhaps you could get one that way. I was intending to make those limitations apply only to the creation process.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm still baffled why people seem to think that others should be restricted from things.

who cares if another player has an android like you..... let it go.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Once we get expanded ship interiors... for rewards, how about an Orion slave girl who never leaves your cabin? :rolleyes:

Or a targ puppy that either gives a tribble-like buff or has some minor comedic combat value (bites ankles of enemy occasionally for a brief 'root' effect... or pees on them and then runs away to cause an aggro switch).

Hmmm... must limit myself to not more than three glasses of wine at lunch...
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm still baffled why people seem to think that others should be restricted from things.

I don't care if people get things. They could give them all out for free as far as I am concerned. It is just that in the Star Trek Universe Androids are supposed to be rare. I think it would be more interesting if there were tasks associated with buliding one or obtaining the ability to build one.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    MGDawson wrote: »

Some don't like raids and there are still rewards only available for raiders.

Thats the little (ok, not so little in some persons) gollum in all of us.

EDIT:
    Are we talking just about SOONG-TYPE androids? (which are very rare, there should be only B4, Lore and Juliana Tainer left, as far as we know) As "normal" Androids wheren't that rare, Kirk encountered enough Fembots to fill a Mike Myers Film.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Asakara wrote:
    Says the guy with the blue name like mine. ;)

If subscriptions were such an awesome revenue source then why are some online games going from a subscription model to a F2P /w microtransactions?

Here are 3 examples: Dungeons and Dragons Online, Lord Of The Rings Online, and Global Agenda.

Also, do not forget that there is a staff to be paid for ther work, bandwidth and electricity costs, office lease payments and those costs, insurance, health insurance, phone costs, and all the various costs with running a business (pen and paper, ink, computers, printers, trash, cleaning services, etc..).

Needless to say, there are a lot of debts that must be paid before any profit is made.

Microtransactions provide additional revenue, above and beyond, the token $15 /mo that some of us pay (and others, like you and I, do not). This extra revenue can be invested in additional staff to create additional content above and beyond what you would normally get in a "subscription only" MMO... And the more content, the better. ;)

Three MMO's which I have never actually seen as very possible. It's not that I have a problem with boosting revenue, but the point of the subscription is to pay for all those costs. I do not pay subscriptions to games to then have to pay for more content, and yes I do pay subscription, virtually every month until next May I believe, AFTER that it is free. It is not a token $15/month, that is the point of the subscription, to pay for said costs.

As for additional content being paid through the C-Store, WOW (one of, if not the most successful MMO's ever) has good content, with very little MT's. Honestly, most of the amazing new content they release that they "need" money for should have been in at launch.

mavgeek wrote: »
    Yes, because Lifers need even more perks the rest of us don't get...

Are you referring to the

1) Titles that mean nothing
    2) Special Station (full of bugs and takes forever to get to) that everyone gets at 400 days sub
    3) The Additional Character Slots on the C-Store
    5) The Special Character that will probably be on the C-Store in a few months
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Three MMO's which I have never actually seen as very possible. It's not that I have a problem with boosting revenue, but the point of the subscription is to pay for all those costs. I do not pay subscriptions to games to then have to pay for more content, and yes I do pay subscription, virtually every month until next May I believe, AFTER that it is free. It is not a token $15/month, that is the point of the subscription, to pay for said costs.

As for additional content being paid through the C-Store, WOW (one of, if not the most successful MMO's ever) has good content, with very little MT's. Honestly, most of the amazing new content they release that they "need" money for should have been in at launch.

I linked this in my last post but here it is again: http://thebigfreaks.com/?p=263

Jack Emmert talks about their reason for the C-Store starting at the 39:45 minute:second mark.

It explains thier reasoning very clearly. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    He is such a great source, considering he doesn't think Death Penalty should be in game because CONSOLE games like Assassin's Creed don't have them. Yeah cause console games and MMORPGs are exactly the same!

He explains that they want more money, of course more money can mean more content, but the point of paying subscriptions to an MMO is to pay for said content, what the heck is the point if all that extra content is driving production of more extra content. It basically goes down like this

Cryptic's current plan:

http://img31.imageshack.us/i/crypticplan.jpg/

What Cryptic Should Do:

http://img208.imageshack.us/i/should.jpg/

What Blizzard does:

http://img801.imageshack.us/i/wowd.jpg/
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    He is such a great source, considering he doesn't think Death Penalty should be in game because CONSOLE games like Assassin's Creed don't have them. Yeah cause console games and MMORPGs are exactly the same!

He explains that they want more money, of course more money can mean more content, but the point of paying subscriptions to an MMO is to pay for said content, what the heck is the point if all that extra content is driving production of more extra content. It basically goes down like this

Cryptic's current plan:

http://img31.imageshack.us/i/crypticplan.jpg/

What Cryptic Should Do:

http://img208.imageshack.us/i/should.jpg/

What Blizzard does:

http://img801.imageshack.us/i/wowd.jpg/

That was not the main reason he was against DP.. As you heard, it was because they were not fun and were introduced into MMOs as lame excuses to keep players online more.. Or as Jack put it, "thieving you". Some people may try to rationalize their time being stolen as something good, but it does not change the underlying reason as to why they were created in the first place. :)

Jack, of Cryptic, was pretty clear and sounded honest.. I am more inclined to believe his reasoning for non-necessary optional bonus fluff items for $$$ than anyone else who is not a part of Cryptic.. Sorry.

The entire game is available, all zones, all factions, all missions, and the whole character creator. The only thing that costs extra are various costumes, respec/renames, more slots, and some misc stuff... But nothing necessary and none of it is part of the main game (it may add a little to it, or not).

Perhaps you will one day create/program/produce your own MMO and put those flow-charts into action. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Asakara wrote:
    That was not the main reason he was against DP.. As you heard, it was because they were not fun and were introduced into MMOs as lame excuses to keep players online more.. Or as Jack put it, "thieving you". Some people may try to rationalize their time being stolen as something good, but it does not change the underlying reason as to why they were created in the first place. :)

Jack, of Cryptic, was pretty clear and sounded honest.. I am more inclined to believe his reasoning for non-necessary optional bonus fluff items for $$$ than anyone else who is not a part of Cryptic.. Sorry.

The entire game is available, all zones, all factions, all missions, and the whole character creator. The only thing that costs extra are various costumes, respec/renames, more slots, and some misc stuff... But nothing necessary and none of it is part of the main game (it may add a little to it, or not).

Perhaps you will one day create/program/produce your own MMO and put those flow-charts into action. :)

No the whole game is not available to everyone, special ships, Unique Boffs, extra Races with their own unique traits, etc. are not available for everyone without having to pay extra. I could understand MT's if it were just for say uniforms or skins but it is far more than that, it is more than just fluff.

he still clearly insinuates that mmoRPG should not have a death penalty simply because a simple action game does.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Not Androids for Lifers, since synthetics are rare among the population, they should be made available for free as a veterans reward for everyone. That is my idea anyways.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    No the whole game is not available to everyone, special ships, Unique Boffs, extra Races with their own unique traits, etc. are not available for everyone without having to pay extra. I could understand MT's if it were just for say uniforms or skins but it is far more than that, it is more than just fluff.

Is any of that required to play any mission in any zone from Ensign to RA5?
    he still clearly insinuates that mmoRPG should not have a death penalty simply because a simple action game does.

I am sure you mean.. because a console game "does not"... Going with that...

He does mention consoles, and that was not in dispute.. But he also says they were created to keep you online and that he wanted to make a game fun enough to keep you playing without having to steal your time, which is what a DP does. That was the main reason. ;)

Even better, he (and the hosts) laugh at the pro-DP folks who want to be punished, which really shows how they all felt about the pro-DP crowds demands at the time. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Asakara wrote:
    Is any of that required to play any mission in any zone from Ensign to RA5?

I am sure you mean.. because a console game "does not"... Going with that...

He does mention consoles, and that was not in dispute.. But he also says they were created to keep you online and that he wanted to make a game fun enough to keep you playing without having to steal your time, which is what a DP does. That was the main reason. ;)

Even better, he (and the hosts) laugh at the pro-DP folks who want to be punished, which really shows how they all felt about the pro-DP crowds demands at the time. :)

Technically it is not required but it not only makes the game easier but is a part of the game other than fluff. Fluff is not just stuff that isn't required it is stuff that is just cosmetic.

He clearly uses console games as his basis for comparison, a flawed one at best. DP's are not on most games because most games are not RPG's, Assassin's Creed is not an RPG, if he doesn't understand why a Death Penalty belongs in an RPG game, why is he an acceptable source for quality information.

Would the President trust intel from a General who believes that all Troops in Iraq should wear Fur Caps because they do in Russia, further more, why would he continually have a General like that?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Technically it is not required but it not only makes the game easier but is a part of the game other than fluff. Fluff is not just stuff that isn't required it is stuff that is just cosmetic.

So what in the C-Store makes the game so much easier to play at all ranks and levels? What item(s) are so important they they should be free instead of cost extra considering how valuable they are to you? I would really like to know.
    He clearly uses console games as his basis for comparison, a flawed one at best. DP's are not on most games because most games are not RPG's, Assassin's Creed is not an RPG, if he doesn't understand why a Death Penalty belongs in an RPG game, why is he an acceptable source for quality information.

Would the President trust intel from a General who believes that all Troops in Iraq should wear Fur Caps because they do in Russia, further more, why would he continually have a General like that?

LOL! Yes, Cpt. William2 is a better source for the origins of death penalties in MMOs than Jack or all the developers of said MMOs he talked to over the years at GDCs.

What was the name of the MMO you programed/developed/produced? Nuttin right? You have no practical experience in the production, creation, development, or operating of a major MMO amiright?

DP is there to keep you playing more. Again, some people rationalize punishments in games as some sort of good thing.. But the truth is that they were made to keep you playing longer (even when the game stopped being fun).... Theiving your time from you (as Jack said).

On a side note.. Your analogy does not make any sense and does not seem to apply.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Asakara wrote:
    So what in the C-Store makes the game so much easier to play at all ranks and levels? What item(s) are so important they they should be free instead of cost extra considering how valuable they are to you? I would really like to know.

LOL! Yes, Cpt. William2 is a better source for the origins of death penalties in MMOs than Jack or all the developers of said MMOs he talked to over the years at GDCs.

What was the name of the MMO you programed/developed/produced? Nuttin right? You have no practical experience in the production, creation, development, or operating of a major MMO amiright?

DP is there to keep you playing more. Again, some people rationalize punishments in games as some sort of good thing.. But the truth is that they were made to keep you playing longer (even when the game stopped being fun).... Theiving your time from you (as Jack said).

On a side note.. Your analogy does not make any sense and does not seem to apply.

Explain how the analogy does not make any sense and does not seem to apply, I really would like to know.
    I never said I was a better source, I said Jack was using a flawed comparison, if I wanted to play a game where I run around just shootin everyone with no effects or consequences, I'd play Call of Duty not pay $15/mo or $240/$299 to a company for essentially a 3rd person shooter.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Explain how the analogy does not make any sense and does not seem to apply, I really would like to know.....

If I could have made sense of your analogy I could tell you more. Sadly I can not.

So what in the C-Store makes the game so much easier to play at all ranks and levels? What item(s) are so important they they should be free instead of cost extra considering how valuable they are to you?

:)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Asakara wrote:
    If I could have made sense of your analogy I could tell you more. Sadly I can not.

So what in the C-Store makes the game so much easier to play at all ranks and levels? What item(s) are so important they they should be free instead of cost extra considering how valuable they are to you?

The bridge officer allows for a rare trait, the Connie makes getting through the first few ranks easier with the extra engineering console and the better hull and scalable phasers, the Tribble makes breeding much easier, and the Galaxy-X gives considerable power and a special weapon to people with money. Essentially, pay more and the game is easier, that is not only unfair but one of the concerns Cryptic addressed pre-launch with the statement that the C-Store items would be cosmetic only, they are not.

What part of the analogy makes no sense? It seems to me that the analogy makes sense, you just do not like it and are just trying to dismiss it.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The bridge officer allows for a rare trait, the Connie makes getting through the first few ranks easier with the extra engineering console and the better hull and scalable phasers, the Tribble makes breeding much easier, and the Galaxy-X gives considerable power and a special weapon to people with money. Essentially, pay more and the game is easier, that is not only unfair but one of the concerns Cryptic addressed pre-launch with the statement that the C-Store items would be cosmetic only, they are not.

What part of the analogy makes no sense? It seems to me that the analogy makes sense, you just do not like it and are just trying to dismiss it.

The Borg BO Efficency trait can also be obtained in game from Uncommon Saurian BOs.

Is the old Connie necessary or is there another ship to fly? Does one whole engineering slot (which you still need a console for) make a big difference for the tutorial and low levels?

Even the blue phaser, which is nice and scales.. But is not as nice as what you can get in game.. It scales in the middle of a tier.. So in T2 order of power you have Mk III, Blue Phaser, Mk IV. Not essential and somewhat gimp at high levels.

Tribbles are cute but not necessary at all.. And all Tribbles breed easy.. and you can get to all the different breeds without the special one.

I knew you would bring up the Galaxy X. It is somewhat inferior to a T5 ship.. With less BO slots, less hull and shields, less weapon slots, and a worse turn rate. And you feel this 1 ship out of 7 for T5 is so "necessary" and makes such a huge impact that it should be free for everyone? Really? Have you even played one?

Sorry Cpt.William2.. I find myself disagreeing with you on just about everything.

For your analogy.. Who are you implying is the president and who is the general? Why would a US general want to emulate russian hat styles?.. Even when it made no sense in the climate the troops would go to? How would someone so silly get to be a general? It all is non-sensical to me.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Asakara wrote:
    The Borg BO Efficency trait can also be obtained in game from Uncommon Saurian BOs.

Is the old Connie necessary or is there another ship to fly? Does one whole engineering slot (which you still need a console for) make a big difference for the tutorial and low levels?

Even the blue phaser, which is nice and scales.. But is not as nice as what you can get in game.. It scales in the middle of a tier.. So in T2 order of power you have Mk III, Blue Phaser, Mk IV. Not essential and somewhat gimp at high levels.

Tribbles are cute but not necessary at all.. And all Tribbles breed easy.. and you can get to all the different breeds without the special one.

I knew you would bring up the Galaxy X. It is somewhat inferior to a T5 ship.. With less BO slots, less hull and shields, less weapon slots, and a worse turn rate. And you feel this 1 ship out of 7 for T5 is so "necessary" and makes such a huge impact that it should be free for everyone? Really? Have you even played one?

Sorry Cpt.William2.. I find myself disagreeing with you on just about everything.

For your analogy.. Who are you implying is the president and who is the general? Why would a US general want to emulate russian hat styles?.. Even when it made no sense in the climate the troops would go to? How would someone so silly get to be a general? It all is non-sensical to me.

I never said they were required, I said that people willing to pay more are getting to go through the game easier, that is unfair and something they said pre-launch would NOT happen.

President= Consumer
    General= Jack
    How would someone so silly as to think the same rules apply to both simple action games and mmorpg's should ahve the same game mechanics be Chief Operating Officer of an MMO company?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I never said they were required, I said that people willing to pay more are getting to go through the game easier, that is unfair and something they said pre-launch would NOT happen.

Citation?
    President= Consumer
    General= Jack
    How would someone so silly as to think the same rules apply to both simple action games and mmorpg's should ahve the same game mechanics be Chief Operating Officer of an MMO company?

You are really fixated upon that one statement aren't you? Does any of the other things he said after, for example, the reasoning behind their creation, mean anything at all to you?

And to answer your question, someone who has more experience on the back-end of MMOs than you do. Show me a list of the MMO projects you have managed/developed/programed.... It seems you feel as an amateur you know more than the experts.. So show everyone what makes you such an expert too.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I like the bonuses for us lifers; but I thought of something that could sweeten the deal. Create Android BOs for Vets. The Android would have Android-only skills and would take up one BO space (like humanoid BOs), but can be a ANY officer. So your Android could serve as a TO, EO, or SO depending on your need for that particular mission. But the skills would still need to be spent based on your desires (android only has so much memory). Androids can be respeced at anytime with a cost of 10% of the skill points (sort of like losing corrupted memory). That way androids are unique, but they aren't totaly superior.

I like the captain's table, but without something unique there is little incentive for me to visit it over Earth Spacedock. Add a few exclusive items, weapons, and consoles. Also, you could give us access to unique ship labels (ala Lifer Comm Badge).

Just a thought.

No special BOFFs for lifers, I'm against special BOFFs for anything EXCEPT ones earned INGAME. Earn an Android BOFF by completing a long, difficult mission line that requires aid from people, and a skilled craftsperson (Memory Alpha! Useful?!? Yes.) During the mission you collect components, then someone who has earned the ability to craft android BOFFs can make you yours (for a fee maybe, or they get credit towards unlocking some special crafting options). Example: Crafter reconstructs 10 Android BOFFs and they can craft some kind of implant, or like special kits. Crafting is done IN the trade window so no stealing.

So yeah no special BOFFs with special unique abilities for lifers/C-store/vets please. In game cool mission line. Make it optional, at maximum rank, maybe even require going to an STF and picking up a component along the way. (NOT A RANDOM DROP, FARMING IS BORING)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Asakara wrote:
    Citation?

You are really fixated upon that one statement aren't you? Does any of the other things he said after, for example, the reasoning behind their creation, mean anything at all to you?

And to answer your question, someone who has more experience on the back-end of MMOs than you do. Show me a list of the MMO projects you have managed/developed/programed.... It seems you feel as an amateur you know more than the experts.. So show everyone what makes you such an expert too.

The statement demonstrates his obvious lack of judgement, yeah he made other statements, but that one clearly showed how he has no business designing MMO's. No, I have never made an MMO, but I do know that one of (if not the most) popular MMO's in histor, WOW, only just recently got an MMO and yet for the past few years has been churning out pretty good content, so I am simply using precedent.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The statement demonstrates his obvious lack of judgement, yeah he made other statements, but that one clearly showed how he has no business designing MMO's. No, I have never made an MMO, but I do know that one of (if not the most) popular MMO's in histor, WOW, only just recently got an MMO and yet for the past few years has been churning out pretty good content, so I am simply using precedent.

6 Days to reply? Bah..Finished conversation is finished.

I look forward to playing your MMO, I am sure you will do a better job. I will try to be nice on your forums when you do things in your game I do not approve of. Post a link here when you get to Open Beta / Launch with the name of it? K? Thanks!

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Engineers should get the ability "Build-A-BO-Workshop" where they can use various android parts (purchased from the c-store of course) to build their own Franken-Data.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Summers wrote: »
    Engineers should get the ability "Build-A-BO-Workshop" where they can use various android parts (purchased from the c-store of course) to build their own Franken-Data.

oh that would be so cool ..... purchased -or- get from random loot drops (which can be traded or sold at exchange if you prefer).
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    dstahl wrote: »
    True Side Story...

After working the PAX booth for close to 30 hours straight, a fan came to the booth and very politely asked me if we would ever allow players to play "androids" - to which I said, "No way. You can't be an android!" and then went on to describe why that would be incredibly broken.

Looking a bit sad, then they asked if we would allow players to play EMHs, to which I responded "Sure, I don't see a problem with that."

Ever since then, the internal joke to any question having to do with androids is "NO WAY. YOU CAN'T BE AN ANDROID!"

So... this thread made me laugh and I wanted to come in here and say....

YOU CAN'T BE AN ANDROID!

:D

(well at least until we make them available)

Are you kidding me? We have been screaming to high hell over Klingons all day and bam, you want to contribute over a freaking android....??? LOL
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Creovex wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? We have been screaming to high hell over Klingons all day and bam, you want to contribute over a freaking android....??? LOL

your kidding right ?