What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Catian Species: color me impressed

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    What about unlocking caitian parts for the alien creator after you purchase them? Is that in the works?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Does this mean KDF Borg will get Borg costumes and that Fed Borg may get similar costumes?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Behold:

A Kzinti Mockup

Obviously, it would be nice to see them get some more ragged textures, finned ears and a lowered brow.

But with all the screenshots the devs like to post, I couldn't let them have all the fun.

I must say I like this Kzinti better. (The mock up done for the unmade Enterprise Series 5 episode Kilkenny Cats) :3
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    wrote:
    I must say I like this Kzinti better. (The mock up done for the unmade Enterprise Series 5 episode Kilkenny Cats) :3
    Hmm. Looks like a D&D Gnoll to me in that picture. ;)

Regarding Alien costumes - so far, the Aliens are pretty "standard" Startrek aliens. Humanoid, bipedal and all that. Are there any plans to improve on that? In that case, one would need additional costume options for such variations.

What might be interesting for aliens to have would be some kind of "enviromental suits" as uniforms. Like the Benzite have that breather apparatus, but maybe even more (helmets). Like the Breen are typically wearing, for example. Maybe some of those coral-aliens actually are still aquatic.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Does this mean KDF Borg will get Borg costumes and that Fed Borg may get similar costumes?

Perhaps in the future, but not for the Season 2 update.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I don't think the two are far off if you view mine (based on TAS) as the slimest version and that as the bulked up version.

I doubt we'll see the backwards legs as those were never onscreen and contradict both their established look and Niven's own description of them, which specified human legs.

The heads boil down to multiple ear options and a couple of face textures with varying levels of raggedness.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hmm. Looks like a D&D Gnoll to me in that picture. ;)

Regarding Alien costumes - so far, the Aliens are pretty "standard" Startrek aliens. Humanoid, bipedal and all that. Are there any plans to improve on that? In that case, one would need additional costume options for such variations.

What might be interesting for aliens to have would be some kind of "enviromental suits" as uniforms. Like the Benzite have that breather apparatus, but maybe even more (helmets). Like the Breen are typically wearing, for example. Maybe some of those coral-aliens actually are still aquatic.

It might be a good idea to make Alien costumes things that we frequently saw as motifs with aliens.

Off the top of my head, togas make sense and it would make for a more Trek experience to see aliens dressing like ancient Romans and Greeks. I bet Emmert would champion this too.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Now, when those @%$#TRIBBLE@#%!#$%^ NPCs try to bump me when I am going somewhere I just jump over them! Yay Caitian jump! (It will probably get nerfed now!)

Now I just have to figure out how to keep those NPCs from bumping when I am reading mail or working with my inventory and bank.

p.s. NPCs should really know bumping Admirals is just not done!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    mhighison wrote: »
    Man, I hope not! My main is an Alien! :D

I'm still trying to figure out what "species specific" extra outfit options aliens will get. Any thoughts?

Found a pretty good set of pics for inspiration for TOS style fashion... pay particular attention to the ladies :)

http://startrekpropauthority.blogspot.com/2008/06/gallery-of-star-trek-original-series.html

Maybe check the Nimbus III bar scene from Star Trek V. There are non-starfleet aliens in other bar scenes in TNG (Redemption?), Enterprise and, of course, DS9.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It might be a good idea to make Alien costumes things that we frequently saw as motifs with aliens.

Off the top of my head, togas make sense and it would make for a more Trek experience to see aliens dressing like ancient Romans and Greeks. I bet Emmert would champion this too.

I was thinking the same thing earlier. There are a lot of greco/roman styles they could go with from TOS.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't think the two are far off if you view mine (based on TAS) as the slimest version and that as the bulked up version.

I doubt we'll see the backwards legs as those were never onscreen and contradict both their established look and Niven's own description of them, which specified human legs.

The heads boil down to multiple ear options and a couple of face textures with varying levels of raggedness.

It was apparently a Niven approved design. He was apparently looking forward to seeing the episode before the series was cancelled.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Perhaps in the future, but not for the Season 2 update.

mhighison, what say ye about my Lyran suggestion? ^.^
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Also bought the Catian race on wednesday and since then I am playing and more importantly enjoying it. The race is nicely designed, better than I hoped - good work. Only thing that sucks is the rather boring leveling process - especially if you can't really see the missions over and over again anymore.

Things which I would like to see in the future:
    • Manes, especially also some longer hair version for the males too. Thinking of lions there in real life, where the male has the rich mane while the females don't.
    • Option to create Catian BOs would be great.
    • Some option to leave out the shoes and instead have an "bare feet" option would be cool.
    • Additional colours for the skin/fur
    • One or two additional ear models would be nice too

I know at least the manes are planned, but here is just another player who would like to have stuff added to this great race. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And soon you will have more richness for the KE! We are putting in species specific uniforms, so Orions can wear an assortment of bikinis and Nausicaans get their armor, etc.

It will be cool because the Klingon faction will have this awesome thing that is their own and will help further define them with options that Feds just don't get.

That is Really Good News for us Klingons ! Hope my Female Klingon Alien gets something nice !

by the way, what did you think of my Idea for the Caitian Tail Adjustment ? not sure if u missed the pic I had
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e315/xaerostrike/Star%20Trek%20Online/TailAdjustment.jpg

just a demonstration of what I was talking about with the Tail flowing off of the Spine
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I also think they look good, except for a couple of things.

FIrst, the missing manes. It would have been nice to have them available.
    Second, the legs are wrong! Unless I am much mistaken, Caitians have digitigrade legs.
    Finally, the tails. They're all sticking straight out horizontally, and they're continuously moving at a frenetic pace. They should hang on a downward angle, and move around much more slowly.

Other than this, well done.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Pacifica- wrote:
    That is Really Good News for us Klingons ! Hope my Female Klingon Alien gets something nice !

by the way, what did you think of my Idea for the Caitian Tail Adjustment ? not sure if u missed the pic I had
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...Adjustment.jpg

just a demonstration of what I was talking about with the Tail flowing off of the Spine

*cough*just corrects the link*cough*
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e315/xaerostrike/Star%20Trek%20Online/TailAdjustment.jpg

Mojos suggestions are good too, especially the legs and the tails - agreed with that!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    On Tholians, my main concern is that they're not very diverse. How would customisation work? How would each Tholian be different from the other?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Teslanar wrote:

Mojos suggestions are good too, especially the legs and the tails - agreed with that!

that's....quite bad. In fact, that defies biology.

Though technically, tails aren't part of the backbone.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Teslanar wrote:

oops Thanks for the heads up ^^

MGDawson wrote: »

But you see what im trying to get at... if Humans Developed Tails it would continue off of the Spine, it would not have come out at a 90 degree Angle, but atleast the Devs are trying to make it look better now... just needs a little more adjustment like in my attempt above
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Pacifica- wrote: »
    But you see what im trying to get at... if Humans Developed Tails it would continue off of the Spine, it would not have come out at a 90 degree Angle, but atleast the Devs are trying to make it look better now... just needs a little more adjustment like in my attempt above

Indeed. Cat biology indicates the tail is indeed a continuation of the spine, but their pelvis is slightly forward of what it should be, allowing their tales to turn "upright" easier.

If you've got cats, you can see, when they are really happy (or bonkers) that their tale can be almost 90% to their backbone.

In reality, the tail needs to be moved down. Or alternatively, have them wearing skirts and have them emerging out the bottom of the skirt...
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    HikaruLing wrote:
    Are there going to be Catian options for generic alien species now, Id love to add tails to some of my Alien BO's....

and
    Raso wrote:
    What about unlocking caitian parts for the alien creator after you purchase them? Is that in the works?

To iterrate:
    Are we going to get the Caitian parts for the editor? :)
    What about our Alien "Caitians"? Can we submit to a race-change?
    For my part, I woud be happy with the fur texture, the ears, the whiskers and the tail. :P
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    To all the Tholian folks, I vaguely remember one of the devs saying something along the lines of they might be an enemy but not a playable race or something along those lines. Anyone else remember that?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The Tholians would be an enemy encounter much like the Undine, way later down the road they would probably be in a faction (Undine maybe? though that is tugging at straws). The Tholians have a tendency to be mysterious, like the Vorlons from Babylon 5 except far less friendly and very paranoid. They are not very open, and do not have many friends. They are willing to attack planets just to isolate themselves further from the rest of society. I do not see them playable as such, or having any allies.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ashki wrote:
    You know, people have constantly been saying Horta, but is it even possible?

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Horta.jpg They don't look possible.

As for vocal minority, no, I think there were a bunch of people who wanted them in, so yeah.

There was a Horta serving in Starfleet in the Star Trek comic book published by DC. He even made it into some of the novels. Here he is: Naraht.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Naraht
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And soon you will have more richness for the KE! We are putting in species specific uniforms, so Orions can wear an assortment of bikinis and Nausicaans get their armor, etc.

It will be cool because the Klingon faction will have this awesome thing that is their own and will help further define them with options that Feds just don't get.

Woot! Sexy your name is KDF!! :p
  • Options
    edited June 2010

oh, lets see

http://hippie.nu/~unicorn/tut/img/basics/animalanatomy/feline-skeleton.jpeg

nuff said.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    There was a Horta serving in Starfleet in the Star Trek comic book published by DC. He even made it into some of the novels. Here he is: Naraht.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Naraht

Huh, never knew that, but heh, I don't know if they'll be added since they don't have hands or such, I think, but we'll see, that would be an interesting choice.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hortas in ground combat could be awesome...immune to weapons, able to tunnel underground, deadly in melee...
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the tail suggestions and mockup. I've posted a test of what I have working in the game right now a few pages back. Thoughts?

People are discussing the cstore alien parts here: so if you have any comments, go post them in that thread:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=163351
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Indeed. Cat biology indicates the tail is indeed a continuation of the spine, but their pelvis is slightly forward of what it should be, allowing their tales to turn "upright" easier.

If you've got cats, you can see, when they are really happy (or bonkers) that their tale can be almost 90% to their backbone.

In reality, the tail needs to be moved down. Or alternatively, have them wearing skirts and have them emerging out the bottom of the skirt...

hehe...no offense, but

are you guys saying that a fictional species (that only exists in fiction) is wrong ? and you are picking apart the biological structure of this non-existant being?

that's just seems kinda weird.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: