test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Catian Species: color me impressed

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    hehe...no offense, but

are you guys saying that a fictional species (that only exists in fiction) is wrong ? and you are picking apart the biological structure of this non-existant being?

that's just seems kinda weird.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Funny how trying to make the model look better is being weird. :rolleyes:
    Thanks for the tail suggestions and mockup. I've posted a test of what I have working in the game right now a few pages back. Thoughts?

People are discussing the cstore alien parts here: so if you have any comments, go post them in that thread:

Thanks very much, and thanks for not listening to the cries of "furriez will ruin teh STOZ!!!11111!!!onehundredelevan"
    edited June 2010
    Ashki wrote:
    Funny how trying to make the model look better is being weird. :rolleyes:

Thanks very much, and thanks for not listening to the cries of "furriez will ruin teh STOZ!!!11111!!!onehundredelevan"

oh, it's you..... following my trail I see.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::cool:

edited June 2010
    mhighison wrote: »
    Thanks for the tail suggestions and mockup. I've posted a test of what I have working in the game right now a few pages back. Thoughts?

Better! I could live with that version.

Looking forward to manes.
    edited June 2010
    oh, it's you..... following my trail I see.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::cool:

Thats a cool story bro.
    edited June 2010
    Man, I hope not! My main is an Alien! :D

I'm still trying to figure out what "species specific" extra outfit options aliens will get. Any thoughts?

Matt, could the various KDF specific parts be offered to "alien" characters as well?

See, here's the problem. I play a TOS Klingon. You can't make a TOS Klingon as a Klingon. There are no options for a head without the bony ridge. I had to make him as an "Alien." (While on the topic, the Klingon TOS uniform option only extends to the torso. They need those hip boots and the proper pants! And a complexion for the face that duplicates the heavy makeup of the original TOS Klingons!)
    edited June 2010
    As for uniforms available to aliens and other species, if their shapes allow them to wear the same uniform at all, they should be able to wear any that fit that frame. So Orion bikinis on Klingons, aliens, etc. I'd go so far as to let the Feds wear the bikinis as casual wear. I'm not sure how it's different if a human or an orion wear the same outfit, their body shapes are the same as far as the art is concerned, they'd fit on anyone.

Aliens should get the parts that other races get; if you buy it at the C-store, your aliens should be able to "become" one. It's the logical conclusion of what the "alien" species means, you can be almost anything; a half klingon half orion or anything that you want. It works for the most part now but adding in the parts from the new races would make it even better, and that includes the clothing. You guys are the masters of customization; it's probably your best known company feature in your games. More is better than less. Obviously in some cases you'll need more time (bikinis take longer than putting a TNG uniform on someone because now you're showing more exposed skin than before) but for clothing on a humanoid in general it shoudln't be that hard.

So far as the Caitians, love them so far, I do wish we had a "caitian boot" like the Gorn have. Maybe put sandals on them? Bare feet doesn't seem too safe. Add manes and do what you're doing to the tail and you'll be almost perfect. The only other thing I'd do if I could would be to make a furrier skin texture; some of the exposed skin on a caitian looks more hairy than furry. Perhaps that's intentional, but for now I basically cover them from head to foot; putting stockings on a Caitian female would look like a hairy guy's legs in drag. That said, mine is male anyway.
    edited June 2010
    I grabbed pounce and discovered two things....it's identical to lunge and is an exploit attack even though it doesn't say it is. I'd love it if the pounce made you jump to the foe instead of slide or teleport.
    edited June 2010
    Shakkar wrote: »
    I grabbed pounce and discovered two things....it's identical to lunge and is an exploit attack even though it doesn't say it is. I'd love it if the pounce made you jump to the foe instead of slide or teleport.

yeah putting a bit of an arc in the path you take would be cool, especially if it could be made to leap over small obstacles so you can pounce from behind a box or something. Also it would be cool if maybe they made the actual attack look a little more aggressive. It kinda looks like I'm giving the guy I'm pouncing a wimpy slap as if to say "tsk, thsop i-i-i-i-it!"

Aside from that I love the skill. my catian's a lean, mean, face scratching machine!
    edited June 2010
    I don't if someone poted this or not but I to love the Catians got one the day they came out. However, I keep going back to the feet. Seems to me that having evolved from cat and seeing the claw like nature of their hands that the feet just aren't right. I mean seems to me that perhaps standard issue boots wouldn't just feet a Catian foot. I have tried to find a pic of Catian foot and have failed so i could be wrong..just my thoughts though. Since they evolved from cats it would seem that they would have a more rounded foot suggestive of paw origin than the homo sapien elongated foot the arose from our ape ancestory.

Maybe its a minor point but one I thought I would throw out there.
    edited June 2010
    I have tried to find a pic of Catian foot and have failed so i could be wrong.

Somebody posted a clip from the animated series showing Caitian legs and you're right, they're felinoid. I would imagine that addressing this is already on the 'to do' list.
    edited June 2010
    I must say I like this Kzinti better. (The mock up done for the unmade Enterprise Series 5 episode Kilkenny Cats) :3

I was disappointed the Caitians put in game don't have legs like this. Maybe these could be part of the "parts pack" for the alien creator?

And yeah, I know they would be hell on costumes. But we know you guys are Cryptic are very talented. :D
    edited June 2010
    Looking at the facial features I say you've done a fantastic job with this.

The tail, if we look at the Animated Series would be attached to the back in such an angle that it didn't poke through the skirt in her uniform it was hanging under her skirt.

The hands had shorter fingers without claws and only four digits.
    The already mentioned leg and feet issue has been mentioned a lot before, of course they also only have four digits on their feet/paws.

http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/library/130930/Star%20Trek%20The%20Animated%20Caitian.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Thats the thing with animation, each frame is drawn independently.

Right there in that image mockup, you can see both the tail coming out from under the skirt (when she is flying during an explosion?) and while sitting in the chair, the tail is clearly coming THROUGH the skirt via some hole (because otherwise it would be hanging between her legs in front, or she'd be sitting on it, but it clearly comes from her lower back in the chair.

So the "source" material isn't consistent, so MHighson had to go with what works well in the engine
    edited June 2010
    Shakkar wrote: »

I pointed this out a couple of pages back, yeah. It could use a new animation, I think. I don't mind it being an exploit, just a new animation would be nice.
    edited June 2010
    Havraha wrote: »
    I pointed this out a couple of pages back, yeah. It could use a new animation, I think. I don't mind it being an exploit, just a new animation would be nice.

Agreed, very much so.
    edited June 2010
    Behold:

A Kzinti Mockup

Obviously, it would be nice to see them get some more ragged textures, finned ears and a lowered brow.

But with all the screenshots the devs like to post, I couldn't let them have all the fun.

Mock-up or not, I kinda liked that one! I think it's the face pattern, shoulder armor and stance that really makes it convincing. It would be fun to see something like that for the Klingon faction. At a minimum as an NPC enemy.
    edited June 2010
    Man, I hope not! My main is an Alien! :D

I'm still trying to figure out what "species specific" extra outfit options aliens will get. Any thoughts?

All. They're already the most flexible - just makes sense. Yes, this makes aliens "OverPowererd" in the fashion sense, but they already are in the traits department (more and better options than many of the KDF species specific default/options choices)... so might as well continue the trend as Aliens being the most flexible.
    edited June 2010
    Sabre9 wrote:
    All. They're already the most flexible - just makes sense. Yes, this makes aliens "OverPowererd" in the fashion sense, but they already are in the traits department (more and better options than many of the KDF species specific default/options choices)... so might as well continue the trend as Aliens being the most flexible.

Unfortunately, that's the price to be paid for the Alien to properly be the 'everything from Trek we haven't included yet plus whatever you can think up' option. And I don't think that's a particularly steep price, myself.
    edited June 2010
    I almost took you seriously...until you added Kazon to your list :D

Did you know that Kazon are the only race that the Borg didn't think good enough to assimilate?
    If the Borg look at a Kazon ship or colony and say "Ummm....no thanks....", that says alot about the species being FAIL. :(
    edited June 2010
    Wood92 wrote:
    Did you know that Kazon are the only race that the Borg didn't think good enough to assimilate?
    If the Borg look at a Kazon ship or colony and say "Ummm....no thanks....", that says alot about the species being FAIL. :(

That'd make one hell of an amusing species trait, though. "Unworthy: Immune to Assimilate debuff'.
    edited June 2010
    Thats the thing with animation, each frame is drawn independently.

Right there in that image mockup, you can see both the tail coming out from under the skirt (when she is flying during an explosion?) and while sitting in the chair, the tail is clearly coming THROUGH the skirt via some hole (because otherwise it would be hanging between her legs in front, or she'd be sitting on it, but it clearly comes from her lower back in the chair.

So the "source" material isn't consistent, so MHighson had to go with what works well in the engine

Yes, one, out of all the images I could find had the tail poke through the skirt while sitting down. Others when she is sitting down doesn't have it poking through. Look a little closer. I added the one with it poking through to avoid being accused of not telling the whole truth. But look at the rest of the images, please. The majority of them has it under the skirt not through it. :)
    edited June 2010
    I don't if someone poted this or not but I to love the Catians got one the day they came out. However, I keep going back to the feet. Seems to me that having evolved from cat and seeing the claw like nature of their hands that the feet just aren't right. I mean seems to me that perhaps standard issue boots wouldn't just feet a Catian foot. I have tried to find a pic of Catian foot and have failed so i could be wrong..just my thoughts though. Since they evolved from cats it would seem that they would have a more rounded foot suggestive of paw origin than the homo sapien elongated foot the arose from our ape ancestory.

Maybe its a minor point but one I thought I would throw out there.

In the cartoon, they had cat feet. Live action, they didn't.
    edited June 2010
    I bought Caitians! I like them! I do wish I could have a nice large mane like M'Ress. The tail customization was a much more detailed than I had expected. Overall I am glad I made the purchase!
    edited June 2010
    LOL would be more like the Kilrathi! Seeing as RA5 grinds to a halt I might as well rank up as a Caitian!
    edited June 2010
    That'd make one hell of an amusing species trait, though. "Unworthy: Immune to Assimilate debuff'.

that is worth a LOL
    edited June 2010
    As soon as the bloody massive client is done downloading, I'll be buying Caitians too.

To restate it from elsewhere, I love almost everything about them, I'm happy that manes are coming soon, but it is a bit of a disappointment that they're not digitigrade (which the race is, in canon). It's kind of odd too, since the tech exists, there are digitigrade legs in Champions Online and all.

I'm hoping they do that, because otherwise that's a bit of a glaring race error, otherwise... ? Good show!
    edited June 2010
    Attached a test of an updated tail animation, what do you guys think?

Unfortunately it will have to be angled more straight out during certain actions, like crouching, so that the tail doesn't clip through the floor.

Much, much better. Angling straight out while crouching is fine, the tail should be mobile enough to do so, it just wouldn't be that way all the time, as it is now.
    edited June 2010
    Attached a test of an updated tail animation, what do you guys think?

Unfortunately it will have to be angled more straight out during certain actions, like crouching, so that the tail doesn't clip through the floor.

Closer, but I think in a 'relaxed' position like that seems to be, the base of the tail should be angled more down and the overall curve should be down-then-back as opposed to back-then-down.

Obviously, having the tail flex for various postures to avoid clipping is completely reasonable - the range of motion available to the tails of most mammals is very wide.
    edited June 2010
    Closer, but I think in a 'relaxed' position like that seems to be, the base of the tail should be angled more down and the overall curve should be down-then-back as opposed to back-then-down.

Obviously, having the tail flex for various postures to avoid clipping is completely reasonable - the range of motion available to the tails of most mammals is very wide.

I don't know, lions hold their tails pretty much like the revised posture when at rest. That is, downward, then up at the end.
    edited June 2010
    All I can say is that yes, Kzinti are ok to be in STO.

The question is, should they be? If Kzinti allied with the Klingon Empire is something players are interested in, I'l see if I can make it happen.

i WOULD KILL FOR THE kZINTI TO BE BROUGHT IN TO STO!!!!!!! specially since i saw the model for the enterprise planned revamp of them. Still ****ed it didnt happen due to the show being canceled.