Install Arc
Options

Catian Species: color me impressed

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    mhighison wrote: »
    All I can say is that yes, Kzinti are ok to be in STO.

The question is, should they be? If Kzinti allied with the Klingon Empire is something players are interested in, I'l see if I can make it happen.

Wow. If that's the case (and I thought it wasn't, ie that the Niven estate had said 'no' to Paramount back in the day); PLEASE add ;Kizinti' to the Klingon faction. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2010

The question is, should they be? If Kzinti allied with the Klingon Empire is something players are interested in, I'l see if I can make it happen.

Oh my, that would be excellent! And maybe it would interest more folks into shifting over to the Klingon side. I've been hoping for a Kzinti more than my Caitan. :)

And as a side note, I have to say, aside from the Tellarites, (they really just need a need to be fatter, and not quite so short, nd for some reason they\ tend to walk like Charlie Chaplin in a silent movie sometimes...) all of the premade STO races are fantastic. The upcoming improvements to hair tech are just going to make things better.

All of this work on character and ship art you guys are doing is restoring a lot of the hope I'd lost. (Granted, I play primarily as a Klingon, so there's already a chip on my shoulder, so to speak.) :)

So anyway, a salute and a bloodwine toast to the character artists for all the excellent work!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Attached a test of an updated tail animation, what do you guys think?

Unfortunately it will have to be angled more straight out during certain actions, like crouching, so that the tail doesn't clip through the floor.

Looks good! About crouching, just a side question, have you guys considered giving them more of a "catlike" crouch stance, where the legs are a bit more spread out, and the back/spine is more angled?

Cat crouched to pounce:
    http://evercats.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Crouching.jpg

Another:
    http://s-tiger.photovillage.org/photosDir/2363/thumb/800-Ready_to_Pounce,_Snow_Leopard.jpg

And here's a coyote about to pounce:
    http://www.redbrickinnutah.com/assets/images/CoyotePounce_6791.jpg

Of course, I'm not saying that all four limbs should be on the ground, but the posture can be imitated a bit, like pushing the shoulders forward, dropping the head/neck slightly, bending the legs so they look like they're ready to push off and angling the spine into more of a pre-pounce than a straight-up human style crouch.

I think the posture change would be great for showing an aggressive-type of stance, and since the spine would be on an angle, seeing the tail coming straight out so as to not clip wouldn't be so drastic.

Anyway, just a thought. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ashki wrote:
    You know, people have constantly been saying Horta, but is it even possible?

Horta is a "runing gag". And sure they would be possible as critters... kind of like Targs.
    But since Kirk found out what they are it would be illogical to fight them... so Ambient Critters at best.
    I almost took you seriously...until you added Kazon to your list :D

Why? Kazon have pretty cool Ships... and had a lot more Screentime then Catians ever had.
    If we some day get to see the Delta Quadrant (we have Transwarp gates so why not?) then i seriously would like to kick them in the Face.

Not everything ingame needs to be a Player Faction or Playable Species.
    Sure playing a Hirogen or Jem'Hadar or Breen would be cool.... but Ocampa? naaah!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Salamandus wrote: »
    OH YES! The Jimmy Diggs Kzin design is PHENOMENAL!
    Agree 100% I would LOVE to see his design in this game.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Z3R0B4NG wrote: »
    Horta is a "runing gag". And sure they would be possible as critters... kind of like Targs.
    But since Kirk found out what they are it would be illogical to fight them... so Ambient Critters at best.

Why? Kazon have pretty cool Ships... and had a lot more Screentime then Catians ever had.
    If we some day get to see the Delta Quadrant (we have Transwarp gates so why not?) then i seriously would like to kick them in the Face.

Not everything ingame needs to be a Player Faction or Playable Species.
    Sure playing a Hirogen or Jem'Hadar or Breen would be cool.... but Ocampa? naaah!

Of course, like it was mentioned, even the Borg didn't want them, and the Borg are rarely picky about who they assimilate.

As NPCs though that you can blast, that would work since since yeah, not very many people are fond of them.

Oh, okay, I'll know whats going on with that then next time someone ask for them.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I have to say, the Caitians turned out wonderfully.

The only suggestion I could make for improvement for them would be patterns on the fur (which may already exist and I didn't spot it, but if it doesn't exist, definately would love to see it added).

Animation and Modeling and Art teams really did a wonderful job with them, far better than I expected.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    STO - more and more like Webkinz everyday, except Webkinz has more content.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    STO - more and more like Webkinz everyday, except Webkinz has more content.

:rolleyes: Maybe once they add more animals in it'll be Webkinz, but it's not.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Unfortunately it will have to be angled more straight out during certain actions, like crouching, so that the tail doesn't clip through the floor.

I thought the tail was fine. There are already options to modify/delete it.

I am in agreement with others that the males need the mane! I think that would be sooo 'satisfactory' ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Very Very nice Matt
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    • The lower tail animation looks great. If you can adjust it to something more hip-level when crouching, all the better.
    • In another post you suggested Kzinti might be possible for Klingons. My vote: Heck Yeah! Please implement this.
    • And I eagerly look forward to implementation of the new hair tech, not just so Caitians can have hair, but so all the rest of our hair looks better.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Are there going to be Catian options for generic alien species now, Id love to add tails to some of my Alien BO's....
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I already spoke with the animators about it, and its being looked at. I personally would like to see the tail fall a little more naturally as well. I have a test up and running on my computer and I'll try to get a screenshot up when I get a chance.

Awesome Great to hear !

I was just thinking maybe at some point you could add a slider on the creation menu to allow users to adjust the Angle of the Tail sort of like how you can adjust Tattoos or the Scars ect... might add some variations to the Tail

Also maybe even add different poses for the tail Animations ?

Anyway just some other Option ideas...

Not too bad, this is more like what I was talking about below

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e315/xaerostrike/Star%20Trek%20Online/TailAdjustment.jpg

The Tail doesnt have to be too low but just flowing off of the Spine more

waits for a comment about the MU Uniform :P
  • Options
    edited June 2010

This would make me very happy.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Considering the work that has gone into this, and the big fan-base support, I'm all for some KDF lovin for the Kzinti. I can certainly see this being a viable addition for KDF and little more aggressive looking too for that faction.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Huh.

I knew that Kzinti belonged to Niven.

I did NOT know that he'd written for ST:TAS and had inserted them there too.

Canon enough for me! :D
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Am I the only one that is a little freaked out by all the cat-people running around the star bases lately? I don't mind the new addition, but it felt like I was playing Oblivion for a little bit when they first went live.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    KevDog413 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that is a little freaked out by all the cat-people running around the star bases lately? I don't mind the new addition, but it felt like I was playing Oblivion for a little bit when they first went live.

Like it was mentioned, people were just testing them out, same with the new uniforms, give it time an their probably won't be as many hanging around the Starbase.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Did I miss something? What is so scary about the Caitians? Star Trek has a bunch of races like these, including the Gorn. I do not get it. It is like people think this something new and ground shaking. What it is, is a demonstration of Cryptic listening to their community, and artists like Matt Highison delivering. I almost didn't care either way if they came out, just didn't like all the flak the people that wanted this were getting. Now that I have seen them, I bought one and rolled one, they really do look awesome, and their increased jump is both fun and useful. My compliments go to Matt and his team.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think the Caitian was a good addition.

Something to spice it up a bit and have some fun.
    Now this is just wishful thinking ... Caitian emotes
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Additionally you are seeing a lot of Caitians because a lot of people like them. Even people who had no initial intention on rolling one. I liked them, and I rolled one (though I personally hate the Gorn).
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Kzinti in STO? I'd finally start playing Klingon-side!

As for Hortas, I would love to get a mission to Janus VI and help out the miners and Hortas. After that wonderful mission chain that explained the appearance of TOS Klingons, I trust Cryptic to come up with a good story that is original but faithful to "The Devil in the Dark."
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Looks good, but you should have put him in the WOK admiral uniform to match this guy :D

Agreed, its crazy to say but catians and WOK uniforms look fantastic together.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I would absolutely like to see Kzinti added to the Klingon Empire! Please make it happen. :-)
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I saw a Caitian and the tail whipping looked realistic.

But got to ask, we going to see tails added to the character creator?
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I'd like to see this. More richness on the Klingon faction is a good thing.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    by more richness, you mean more of the same of what the feddie's already have? :D
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    mos6507 wrote: »
    I'd like to see this. More richness on the Klingon faction is a good thing.

And soon you will have more richness for the KE! We are putting in species specific uniforms, so Orions can wear an assortment of bikinis and Nausicaans get their armor, etc.

It will be cool because the Klingon faction will have this awesome thing that is their own and will help further define them with options that Feds just don't get.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And soon you will have more richness for the KE! We are putting in species specific uniforms, so Orions can wear an assortment of bikinis and Nausicaans get their armor, etc.

It will be cool because the Klingon faction will have this awesome thing that is their own and will help further define them with options that Feds just don't get.

One question, about the Klingon hair clipping. I know you folks did a pass on the sashes...but the dreadlocks clipped on the shoulders since launch..very irritating!! please...non dread haircuts and fix clipping issues!

One of my issues is that the Klinks are somewhat under represented. All of these new options for the Nausicaans, Orions ext. Will only make the Klingons look bad having only one uniform style and rather boring textures and haircuts.