test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Catian Species: color me impressed

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I bought the Catians out of curiosity and I just have to say. They look fantastic. Thanks guys, great job! They are truly nicely done.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    They do look cool, but they are missing hair/manes and the ability to go "bare foot".
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    jennjahn wrote: »
    I bought the Catians out of curiosity and I just have to say. They look fantastic. Thanks guys, great job! They are truly nicely done.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Matt
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I rolled one that I've been planning since launch. I have to say, they came out better than I was hoping for. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    thank you STO
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    mhighison wrote: »
    Thanks!

Cheers,

Matt

Matt you did a wonderful job. Most excellent.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    will there be catian BO's ?
    i would like to have a Catian crew.

thank you

Eventually, yes. Season 2 I'm hoping?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah they really look awesome! Plus we have new hair options to look forward to in the future!

...oh and don't think we didn't see that little tweet about the Kzinti & Klingons, was that a hint or just conjecture? lol
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Salamandus wrote: »
    Yeah they really look awesome! Plus we have new hair options to look forward to in the future!

...oh and don't think we didn't see that little tweet about the Kzinti & Klingons, was that a hint or just conjecture? lol

I was wondering about that.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Btw Matt, you came through for us Caitian lovers. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I must second this. The Caitians turned out so gloriously well, that they make all the humanoid characters look all cheap and plasticy.

Also, they were so well done in the face, I totally missed the fact (for a day, at least) that they dont have the cat-like feet. Though I'm not complaining or anything ... the tech to do something like that probably would require new uniforms to be made just for the Caitians, pants leg wise ... not even going to go into the shoes ... and would most likely not weild the bang for the buck for the investment of time and energy.

Waiting patiently for the hair tech now. :-)

Oh, and for the Kzinti, if such a thing comes to fruition. And may Cryptic never say again that we don't sing their praises! We only sing them when they deserve them! :p
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yes, very good job. Much better than I hoped as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    They do look cool, but they are missing hair/manes and the ability to go "bare foot".

Barefoot, -and- with digit-grade feet.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    HyenaZERO wrote: »

Honestly, I can understand why they didn't go with the digigrade feet, since it was mentioned that a whole knew skeleton would probably have to be made for all the uniforms.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I am indeed sorry that the Catains failed to live up to the vision postulated in a thirty-seven year old, single season limited animation Filmation cartoon. The literal minutes of screen time M'Ress and the other Catians have had have resonated though the almost half century of Star Trek that, all people connected with Star Trek ask themselves, "Is this merely Good, or is it Catian-Good?"

In drawing a line here, for saying "This far, and no further!" for this clear insult against M'Ress, against all poorly animated lion-people everywhere, you truly have show this is Serious Business.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thank-you for returning the Caitian people to their rightful and glorious place amongst the stars!

RAWR!
    :)

(*courtly bow*)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I agree with the op. I wasn't even planning on buying the species, but after I saw how well done they were, I just had to try it out.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Any Chance you can fix the Tail so its more realistic ? I mean as it is now the Tail comes out of the body at a 90degree Angle and doesnt look quite right...

a Tail is attached to the spine and should not stick out the way its now, it kinda looks like a tail pinned on a donkey... if you can get the tail to just flow off the spine at anything other than a 90 Degree angle it would look alot better and more realistic
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Matt, you and your team have done an absolutely awesome job with the Catians! The faces are wonderful and the hair tech is stunning! There could be little tweaks here and there as mentioned already but, nevertheless, this is great stuff. You all have me over a barrel waiting for the mane!

Thanks, guys!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    What is "hair tech"?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    HyenaZERO wrote: »

An interesting note, if you look at them from the side, the bottom of the legs do hint
    at the digit feet....it is not straight like a human.

it is possible they did this so that they could add that option later.

but only a developer can confirm
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The only issue I have is that you can't pick the features for the alien race. I want my alien to have a tail. :/
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Can you have then cough up furballs?

Or stand at their bridge station and give themselves a bath?

Hey the Furries wanted cats - lets make it as real as possible!

Blakinik

PS: you guys prices the Caitlins WAYYY to low given the vigor for them. I would have done atleast 400 CP for it...
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    jennjahn wrote: »

So you're saying instead of killing it, curiosity bought the cat?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Vincit wrote: »
    So you're saying instead of killing it, curiosity bought the cat?

Ok...that almost made me spit coffee, go to your time out chair. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Blakinik wrote:

Blakinik

PS: you guys prices the Caitlins WAYYY to low given the vigor for them. I would have done atleast 400 CP for it...

About the same time you get to act out vulcan pomfar on the bridge..............gezzzzzzz
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Arclight55 wrote: »
    What is "hair tech"?
    You´ll see when they start coughing up furballs and you mistakenly start petting them. Wondering where´s the tribble purr.

The instant I´m seeing mouse ears on ANY of the characters I´m outahere..
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Salamandus wrote: »

I'm guessing it's conjecture, unless Cryptic and/or CBS already cleared the idea of Kzinti with Larry Niven. Granted, he's been open to them being around in Star Trek before, and not just in TAS, they were going to show up in Enterprise if it'd be green-lighted for a 5th Season so it's always possible they'll be allowed for STO.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    yeah they are excellent but i have a question....can we skin them and hang them on the tophy wall when we get it make a bloody good wall rug :)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Blakinik wrote:

Blakinik

*face palm*
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Pacifica- wrote:
    Any Chance you can fix the Tail so its more realistic ? I mean as it is now the Tail comes out of the body at a 90degree Angle and doesnt look quite right...

a Tail is attached to the spine and should not stick out the way its now, it kinda looks like a tail pinned on a donkey... if you can get the tail to just flow off the spine at anything other than a 90 Degree angle it would look alot better and more realistic

I already spoke with the animators about it, and its being looked at. I personally would like to see the tail fall a little more naturally as well. I have a test up and running on my computer and I'll try to get a screenshot up when I get a chance.