test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hey Devs can we please get an answer

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    You know what guys, I'm sorry for asking for a little bit of civility and common courtesy, and to think I though maybe ya'll were capable of that. Well, obviously not, I'll see you round the game when they actually fix its problem instead of distracting everyone from how crappy they are with fluff on the C-Store. I guess I'll just have to come in to the threads and expect nothing from ya'll but ridicule and disrespect. I'm sure Gene Roddenberry would be proud.

We have been more than civil and courteous to you despite all your name calling and tantrum-throwing.
    edited June 2010
    Dryan wrote:
    Well put.

/10 char

Still waiting for those links...
    edited June 2010
    Sivar wrote: »
    Indeed it does, but that doesn't change the fact that Cryptic said that they would put them into the C-Store eventually as plain as day.

This thread and others like it are pointless, the only people who have a legitimate complaint for this is the CO lifetimers, but even that is suspect because they most likely bought that for the closed beta access....

That would have been an even worse reason to buy it. I got my 'Guaranteed Closed Beta Access" one day before it ended. :D

They really messed up that purchase on every concevable level with me.
    edited June 2010
    Funny thread.

All I can say is welcome to the world of promotional baiting.

Jeez, it´s like none of you people ever watched a McD commercial then start wondering why the real ones don´t look like on the brainwash-tube.
    edited June 2010
    ivarST wrote:
    Funny thread.

All I can say is welcome to the world of promotional baiting.

Jeez, it´s like none of you people ever watched a McD commercial then start wondering why the real ones don´t look like on the brainwash-tube.

It's pretty clear that most of these people had never purchased anything, anywhere, before they bought the game.
    edited June 2010
    If by "stuff" you mean the items they just added to the C-store, no one bought THEM. What people bought was the GAME, and they got some bonus items with the package that they bought.

OH BE QUIET!!! CONTRACT LAW IS CONTRACT LAW!!!!

YOU PROMISED SOMETHING AT TIME OF PURCHASE MAKES IT BINDING. ADD ONS AND BONUS OFFERS ARE BINDING!!!

BUYER HAS RECOURSE IF CONTRACT IS BROKEN.
    edited June 2010
    You are not entitled to compensation just because something you already paid for is being offered to others via a different method and/or for a different amount than how you obtained it.
    edited June 2010
    i wonder if they will ever stop asking for compensation?
    edited June 2010
    Spartacus_ wrote: »
    i wonder if they will ever stop asking for compensation?

most likely never. some people just can't comprehend how it works.
    edited June 2010

YOU PROMISED SOMETHING AT TIME OF PURCHASE MAKES IT BINDING. ADD ONS AND BONUS OFFERS ARE BINDING!!!

Not when buying said product also includes other agreements that supersede the promotional items and when those items are plainly set out for everyone to see that the items will be offered for sale down the road in other ways like the C-Store. The only binding contract here is the EULA and other documents that give atari, cryptic, and paramount the power to do whatever they want with what they own and sell to you on their terms which you accept simply by buying it and more so by using it.
    edited June 2010
    Valdeck wrote: »
    Not when buying said product also includes other agreements that supersede the promotional items and when those items are plainly set out for everyone to see that the items will be offered for sale down the road in other ways like the C-Store. The only binding contract here is the EULA and other documents that give atari, cryptic, and paramount the power to do whatever they want with what they own and sell to you on their terms which you accept simply by buying it and more so by using it.

do you know what's funny about the EULA. ( and other MMO EULA's ) it's the fact that you don't own the game, you own the right to use the game. meaning any items you have in game is really cryptics. ( and it works this way across most if not all MMOs )

2. Grant of License; Ownership. Cryptic grants You a limited, non-exclusive, nontransferable, royalty-free license to use one copy of the object code form of the Game for personal, non-commercial and lawful use on a single computer for purposes of playing the Game by registering for and accessing an account with the Service (as hereinafter defined). Cryptic does not transfer title to the Game to You; this license shall not be considered a "sale" of the Game. You agree that the Game belongs to Cryptic and its licensors, including all intellectual and proprietary rights, unless otherwise specified. Cryptic and its licensors retain all right, title and interest in and to the Game at all times, and regardless of the form or media in or on which the original or other copies may subsequently exist. Any suggestions, ideas or inventions that You voluntarily and optionally disclose to us through any means will be used, or not used, by Cryptic at Cryptic’s sole discretion; and, Cryptic and its licensors will have no obligation to You regarding any ideas or inventions that You disclose through such means. No right, title or interest in or to any trademark, service mark, logo or trade name of Cryptic or its licensors, suppliers or affiliates is granted under this Agreement. All other rights are reserved to Cryptic except as expressly provided herein.
    edited June 2010
    which is my point :) they can do what they see fit with it, we just agree that were paying to be able to use it lol... well basically I know that is way over smiplifying things.
    edited June 2010
    you wont get compensation but you can have a cookie

the cookie is a lie
    edited June 2010
    I will take a taco from bueno taco instead
    edited June 2010
    which is my point :) they can do what they see fit with it, we just agree that were paying to be able to use it lol... well basically I know that is way over smiplifying things.

I'm tempted to go grab the other EULA's from other MMOs before someone comes in here saying the EULA doesn't matter, and that is cryptic being EVIL.
    edited June 2010
    Do not bother,

while I believe you seeing as I had read them my self most will not even if you put it up here or find ways to try and say the words do not mean what the dictionary says they do :). At the end of the day the rights to the game and franchies rest with Paramount. The license to make and operate the game was given or sold to... well eventually ended up with Cryptic/Atari.

Cryptic told us well before anyone could buy a pre order that all the items could and most would end up for sale relativly soon after the game launched and well they did not lie :). In all honesty they have stuck to what they have told us in most areas of the game even if we though they were wrong or being a bit slow.

It is their game and while some might think its not fair it was not hard to see upset coming. Everyone was buying the pre-orders for the items (my self included) rather than buying a game and seeing the items as what they were... free promo stunts to get us to play :) (which I love btw not bashing here). Now you can buy them with real money just like we used real money to buy the game and get them for free. I will admit I spent way more than I should on this game and do not regret it.

As the saying goes... "Easy come easy go".
    edited June 2010
    Do not bother,

while I believe you seeing as I had read them my self most will not even if you put it up here or find ways to try and say the words do not mean what the dictionary says they do :). At the end of the day the rights to the game and franchies rest with Paramount. The license to make and operate the game was given or sold to... well eventually ended up with Cryptic/Atari.

Cryptic told us well before anyone could buy a pre order that all the items could and most would end up for sale relativly soon after the game launched and well they did not lie :). In all honesty they have stuck to what they have told us in most areas of the game even if we though they were wrong or being a bit slow.

It is their game and while some might think its not fair it was not hard to see upset coming. Everyone was buying the pre-orders for the items (my self included) rather than buying a game and seeing the items as what they were... free promo stunts to get us to play :) (which I love btw not bashing here). Now you can buy them with real money just like we used real money to buy the game and get them for free. I will admit I spent way more than I should on this game and do not regret it.

As the saying goes... "Easy come easy go".

Preach it brother. speak the truth. ( and I'm not joking )

also I do believe it is time to turn in for the night.

also I'm in the same boat about spending to much on this game. ( three pre orders, and one new computer to run it. only person who effected my choice was me. :D )
    edited June 2010
    If by "stuff" you mean the items they just added to the C-store, no one bought THEM. What people bought was the GAME, and they got some bonus items with the package that they bought.

Mr. Grand.Nagus you are a very intelligent person which is why I am confused. Has it not occurred to you that we would not have spent more to acquire those versions of the game if it had not been implied, by the marketing, that the only way to get those "free" items was buy pay more for the more expensive version?

By paying more in essence we bought those items, lest we would have waited, like most, and acquired them from the C-Store.

I may have learned that in the future I will never trust Cryptic's use of the word exclusive, but the real lesson has not been driven home, that in the future Cryptic will have to learn what the word exclusive means and to abide by truth in advertising. For the time being because a significant amount of the initial user base's trust was abused, and because those who did not opt in early behavior was reinforced, Cryptic will have to rely on the C-Store.

Cryptic has stepped onto a precarious bridge, not unlike San Francisco's Galloping Gurdy. All future updates and any future expansions will have to be A+ material. As the user base will be less inclined to invest in, "What could be." The user base, even those who benefited from this marketing move, will be less forgiving. Tell me Mr. Grand.Nagus will you be inclined to pre-order an expansion knowing full well that only months after the expansion's launch all the pre-order bonuses will be available for less net money in the C-Store?

What's to happen when Cryptic tries to regain it's reputation the first time they try to adhere to traditional definitions of the words unique and exclusive? The user base will of course expect to get those items later in the C-Store and when they do not get released to the C-Store even more than the minority of founding players will be offended.

This is what happens when one does not observe truth in advertising. Of course P.T. Barnum was correct in his observation that a sucker is born everyday, as many have pointed out I am proof of that, but with today's instant communications such a business model could lead to penny ante pickings. Welcome to the larger picture my friend.
    edited June 2010
    This is why i do not like in game items offered with games, always ends in some one getting butthurt and crying about it.
    edited June 2010

The items were exclusive and unique to their respective promotions for 5 (nearly 6) months. At point of sale, statements were accurate.

No contract broken, no recourse.
    edited June 2010
    This is incredible all this over some pixels :eek: and yes I bought the CE edition but if people want the stuff let them have it .
    edited June 2010
    dojen wrote:
    If we can get an answer to thi question I think it may help the situation

Are you guys planning any kind of compensation for those that bought stuff early?

If you answer this then at least the compensation threads can stop as we will have an answer

ahhh.............no.
    edited June 2010
    Another thread for compensation? My response to all the threads about compensation is...*doublefacepalm*. People on these forums (Cryptic in particular) have stated time and time again that there will be no refunds. I then see a post "They said refunds not compensation." As much as people want to do this, splitting hairs about compensation being different from refund is just as crazy as the exclusive and unique argument.

Let's say you do get your much sought after compensation. What then? This is only a short term solution. Reason I say that is because as soon as this comes out on the forums it will make things much worse making this current argument seem tame.

Is this really what you want?
    edited June 2010
    Another thread for compensation? My response to all the threads about compensation is...*doublefacepalm*. People on these forums (Cryptic in particular) have stated time and time again that there will be no refunds. I then see a post "They said refunds not compensation." As much as people want to do this, splitting hairs about compensation being different from refund is just as crazy as the exclusive and unique argument.

Let's say you do get your much sought after compensation. What then? This is only a short term solution. Reason I say that is because as soon as this comes out on the forums it will make things much worse making this current argument seem tame.

Is this really what you want?

Refunds and compensation are two entirely different concepts. At least when people split hairs about 'Exclusive' and 'Unique' the words were synonyms of each other.

And I believe this thread was created before the refund related post by Destra. Which wasn't terribly related anyways.
    edited June 2010
    Zodi-emish wrote:
    I'm tempted to go grab the other EULA's from other MMOs before someone comes in here saying the EULA doesn't matter, and that is cryptic being EVIL.

To be fair, all EULAs are evil in a bunch of ways. A bit less evil for MMOs because it's a service rather than a product, admittedly.
    edited June 2010
    personae wrote:
    Refunds and compensation are two entirely different concepts. At least when people split hairs about 'Exclusive' and 'Unique' the words were synonyms of each other.

And I believe this thread was created before the refund related post by Destra. Which wasn't terribly related anyways.

How exactly are they different? I would honestly like to know.
    edited June 2010
    How exactly are they different? I would honestly like to know.

A Refund involves getting back all money spent on the game and giving back your purchase. Which is what the response Destra gave was about.

That is not the same as Compensation, which involves still continuing to be a customer. For example, when the game had excessive downtime and they gave out the Temba set. Thats compensation for bad service, not a refund. No actual exchange money was involved.

In short, one is about continuing to be a customer, the other is about ceasing to be one.
    edited June 2010
    dojen wrote:
    If we can get an answer to thi question I think it may help the situation

Are you guys planning any kind of compensation for those that bought stuff early?

If you answer this then at least the compensation threads can stop as we will have an answer

177+ posts...no answers
    I think that is an answer...unfortunately
    edited June 2010
    177+ posts...no answers
    I think that is an answer...unfortunately

I believe Dojen came to this conclusion himself yesterday.
    edited June 2010
    I am so bored with this whole argument. As someone who bought a lot of copies of different versions of the game to get the exclusives. I was not in any way deluded to think that they would not go on sale to the general public eventually. Exclusivity (is that a word?) only exists for a limited time, not forever.

Would I have liked to pay less for the same content? Of course I would. Was I too impatient to wait? Absolutely.

I am happy to throw money at a game I enjoy. This is how the developers make money. I have so far paid for 2 lifetimes, 5 copies of different versions of the game (just for the FREE exclusives). Another five copies and five months subscriptions just to get a damned Uber Galaxy.

It does not bother me one bit. I even managed to get the mirror universe uniform and original enterprise, the only two things I didn't yet have. Keep up the good work cryptic and long may the game continue.

If anyone wants to continue to moan, grab a beer at the Captains Table and drown your sorrows (Oh wait that was an "exclusive" for lifetimers). See you there in 200 days :P