Install Arc
Options

Catian Species: color me impressed

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    mhighison wrote: »
    And soon you will have more richness for the KE! We are putting in species specific uniforms, so Orions can wear an assortment of bikinis and Nausicaans get their armor, etc.

It will be cool because the Klingon faction will have this awesome thing that is their own and will help further define them with options that Feds just don't get.

So... No Bajoran militia outfits coming, huh?

Seriously, though, I love the idea of species specific uniforms for KDF.

My one proviso is that the Klingons themselves are already under-represented in their own faction and may be left out on this.

With that in mind, look at adding Worf and Dax's wedding attire a race specific outfits only wearable by Klingons, Liberated Borg Klingons and KDF Joined Trill.

http://kayedacus.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/ds9_dorn_farrell_wed.jpg

That or maybe capes exclusive to Klingons and Liberated Borg Klingons.

Azetbur, the daughter of Gorkon, wore a cape, making Klingons one of the few races to wear one.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And soon you will have more richness for the KE! We are putting in species specific uniforms, so Orions can wear an assortment of bikinis and Nausicaans get their armor, etc.

It will be cool because the Klingon faction will have this awesome thing that is their own and will help further define them with options that Feds just don't get.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Oh, I am super curious now.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Will the Gorn get new stuff as well by chance?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Attached a test of an updated tail animation, what do you guys think?

Unfortunately it will have to be angled more straight out during certain actions, like crouching, so that the tail doesn't clip through the floor.

That tail is going to make the infamous "sitting in chair tech" (and animation) challenging for sure.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nack wrote:
    That tail is going to make the infamous "sitting in chair tech" (and animation) challenging for sure.

Either that or really awkward when viewed from the profile.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nice, I'm sure this appeals to the Star Trek furries. Catians are cool, but you know the old saying... if you give a mouse a cookie he's going to want a glass of milk.... think about adding hair plz k thx :D
  • Options
    edited June 2010

This is great news. I love the Orion Slave Girl outfits! Lots of people consider this fluff but I'm always excited to see your team's work.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    All I can say is that yes, Kzinti are ok to be in STO.

The question is, should they be? If Kzinti allied with the Klingon Empire is something players are interested in, I'l see if I can make it happen.

wow that is a huge thing you just said.

It opens up alot, Kzinti have had many wars with the federation and have a similar
    relationship to the Caitians. Similar to the Romulan / Vulcan relationship, that is.

Keep us updated, as for if the Kzinti are wanted in the klingon faction...well you will have to ask
    those players, you might prod them a bit, to be honest, many might not even know that it is
    possible. How could they know they want it, if they don't know about it.

Kzinti are in play...that is big.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nack wrote:

not really it you think about it.
    just animate the tail to wrap around, say the right side and drape over the legs...simple enuff
  • Options
    edited June 2010

The question is, should they be? If Kzinti allied with the Klingon Empire is something players are interested in, I'l see if I can make it happen.

Um...

YES

Make it so. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2010

If it is questionable whether or not the Kzinti would allow themselves to ally with another race rather than a bloody battle to the very last breath, perhaps consider the Lyran Star Empire. They are known allies of the Klingon Empire, according to their Memory Beta entry and close enough to both Kzin (Mirak) and Caitians to (descended from the same genetic ancestors) to make zero difference when it comes to their in game representations (Though perhaps a little more savage looking than the Caitian.)

=edit=

To quote, so no one has to fiddle with opening a new page:
    The Lyrans are a sentient, bipedal, felinoid species who share many characteristics with the Kzinti and Caitians. They formed a space faring government known as the Lyran Star Empire.

They are about the size of a large Human and possess a great deal of strength. They are naturally aggressive and prone to internecine strife which affects their ability to expand. They share a similar disposition as the Klingons with an intense love for combat. They are also noted as being quite brutal as well as extremely violent in their dealings with other races. Though this is the case, the Lyrans are well acquianted with the saying of "an enemy of my enemy is my friend." As such, they were known to be allies of the Klingon Empire and the two aided each other numerous times.

Hydran scientists believed that there was genetic evidence to suggest that the Lyrans and the Mirak were related, something that greatly insulted both races and even sparked a war between the Hydran Kingdom and Lyran Star Empire.

The Lyrans were known to be bitter enemies of the Mirak species with contact between the two almost always being dangerous if not deadly. Klingon warriors were noted as saying that it was better spending time in an interrogation booth rather then be caught in the middle of a Lyran-Mirak blood feud.

(TOS game: Starfleet Command)

Note that the Starfleet Battles universe listed that it was the Kzinti the Lyrans had a blood feud with, however, due to legal problems, the creators of the game were not able to use the name Kzinti and instead renamed the race as the Mirak.

(italicised and bolded supporting statements. :3 )
  • Options
    edited June 2010

So aliens are getting screwed? :(
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    They do look cool, but they are missing hair/manes and the ability to go "bare foot".

I agree, I read the wiki about them and found they are missing a lot of the physical features/preferences that they get in the lore. Manes and barefoot being a couple I initially noticed, as you have mentioned. Btw, I too LOVE the Caitians.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Z3R0B4NG wrote: »
    honestly... you allready made a big bow to the "vocal minority" with the Catians...
    i'd rather see more of the "prominent" Trek Species now
    (i would like to say REAL Trek Species but then i woud get bashed even more).

Like:

Xindi
    Kazon
    Son'a / Ba'Ku
    Suliban
    Vidiian
    Talaxian
    Tholian !!!
    Tosk
    Horta...

At least make a vote on it before you say go to "Kzinti"... whatever they are.

I would hate it if long time Star Trek Fans come to this game and all they see is some Cats vs. Dogs MMO.

I would really love to see those species (THOLIANS) too, but ragging on adding Kizin? Aw, C'mon. Half of the work is already done!

Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some poor artist chained to the cubicle working on all those little face bumps as we speak.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    as to the Caitians being a vocal minority.

Given how MANY players bought them....day 1. That is a pretty darn big minority.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    A thought on the Kzinti being a klingon race.

IT shouldn't be too hard to lock in different slider constraints for their proportions, add different hair styles and different color schemes and PRESTO! Instant Kzinti!

Now should they be allied with the Klingons? Honestly, IDK. But they were portrayed as antagonists so I guess we could just start clobbing everyone race that ever crossed phasers with Kirk or Picard into an enemy faction as they must be evil if they shot at Picard.

Oh, and awesome job on the Catians! Bravo!
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Well I'm the guy that tweeted just recently that I'll mail you some beer if you throw Kzinti in there as allies of the Klingons, so you know my stance on it! Of course, I think it's important we note that the Kzinti are allies, and not so much conquered. I don't think they're robust enough of a species to be their own faction, but they're certainly not weak enough to be conquered at the immediate moment either.... allies is really the only way it makes sense. Certainly they'll have their own motive to ally with the Klingons, with the Federation being a common enemy.

Also, Matt, I have to bring up ... the Caitian's "pounce" power seems to be a canned animation for the "lunge" power most tactical kits provide. Any chance of having the animators rig up an actual animation that looks like a cat pouncing on something through the air?

As far as what the Kzinti ought to look like ... I think Matt did such a good job with the Caitians that I trust anything he comes up with will be golden. The Jimmy Digg's take on the Kzinti is ... REALLY advanced, with the digit-grade feet and all, but at the very least give them the big massive fangs and the pointy pointy furry ears and big shoulders, and they ought to rock!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I like the work on the Caitians generally, but the variety of color options is a little disappointing. No stripes or spots?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I like the work on the Caitians generally, but the variety of color options is a little disappointing. No stripes or spots?

yeah some patterns would be cool.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think I read somewhere that hair styles and fur patterns, ect.. are in the works.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So aliens are getting screwed? :(

Man, I hope not! My main is an Alien! :D

I'm still trying to figure out what "species specific" extra outfit options aliens will get. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Raso wrote:
    Now should they be allied with the Klingons? Honestly, IDK. But they were portrayed as antagonists so I guess we could just start clobbing everyone race that ever crossed phasers with Kirk or Picard into an enemy faction as they must be evil if they shot at Picard.

Aww, everyone ignores me... ( :p )

If it is questionable whether or not the Kzinti would allow themselves to ally with another race rather than fight a bloody battle to the very last breath, perhaps consider the Lyran Star Empire. They are known allies of the Klingon Empire, according to their Memory Beta entry and close enough to both Kzin (Mirak) and Caitians to (descended from the same genetic ancestors) to make zero difference when it comes to their in game representations (Though perhaps a little more savage looking than the Caitian.)
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I'm still trying to figure out what "species specific" extra outfit options aliens will get. Any thoughts?

Hmmm.... Battle armour? Orrr..... Maybe just run a Voyager marathon in one of the Cryptic offices meeting rooms ( If I lived in Cali, I'd bring the beer. :D ) and grab costume parts from some of the aliens shown in the series that aren't included within the confines of the established STO races. (Like the super awesome bad guy outfits/armour that the, er, bad guys were wearing in the episode where the Janeway has to break Tuvok and B'Ellana out of jail with the help of the old man who thinks she's his daughter. :D )

... Oh yeah! The Mokra from the Voyager episode "Resistance" :p

You could call it "Market Research" though I dunno if the beer would lend or detract from the validity of that. xD At least the people who didn't want to be there could jump up and point out alien costume parts that would look good in the game.

( I say Voyager marathon since it's one of the most recent series... and I like it way better than DS9 :3 )
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I would think some accessories would be nice as an option for alien's. Like rings, bracelets, other ear rings. New tattoos stuff like this.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I'd say look at TOS for a lot of the Alien of the Week costumes
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I'm still trying to interpret what this means. What kind of extra outfits the aliens will get that already belong to a pre-established Trek species? Or what kind of clothing items could be "invented" for an alien race?

If you mean species already in existence, I ... don't have a clue. I hate to admit that my forte on alien design is their actual alien features, and not so much their clothes. :(

If you mean invented clothing pieces, I'd like to see a lot more kind of ... armor items that you wouldn't necessarily see on the Federation characters, like armored gauntlets... or helmets of some kind. Something to, once again, set Klingons apart from Feddies.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'd say look at TOS for a lot of the Alien of the Week costumes

Ooh! I like your suggestion best! :D

(Except I really do like the Mokra guard outfits from Voyager, best. :p )
  • Options
    edited June 2010

good question

this is what I think aliens should get

1. a trait that no other regular species can get...they need something that only an alien
    generated toon can have.

as for clothing

sashes
    head gear / 'hats'
    life support equipment - they are alien, who says they can breath teran air?
    --- breathing masks, eye protection, enviromental helmets ect..
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Behold:

A Kzinti Mockup

Obviously, it would be nice to see them get some more ragged textures, finned ears and a lowered brow.

But with all the screenshots the devs like to post, I couldn't let them have all the fun.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I'd prefer that Aliens get access to pretty much all the uniform options available to species within the faction, since Alien is meant to be the grab bag of the unknown with the widest array of options.

I'd also like the species (including 'traditional wear') options for all faction species to be available in the C-store for cross-factional use, ie Starfleet Orion, Starfleet Gorn, KDF human, IRN vulcan (once the Romulans get added in), etc.