test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Three New Screenshots! (November 26, 2008)

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Razor wrote:
    We've added three new screenshots to our gallery! Included is a first look at a Federation vessel in dry dock and a Science Officer with peculiar markings!

See them in our gallery!

I dont like the way those phaser banks look. They look nothing like in the shows. As for the science officer those are not peculiur. Those are trill markings. Guess you didn't watch DeepSpace 9 did you?
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    it is a little un realistic although is fairly awsome strange arms though
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I agree it is a centaur class....Does any1 no when exactly the game comes out for play? isnt it sometime next fall? Cant wait:D
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The game is looking pretty nice. ;3

Here's hoping they don't release it until it's finished (in so much as an mmo can be "finished").

But I have nothing but confidence (in) and respect for the guys down at Cryptic.

Centaur class? Maybe. But wouldn't you expect that the Excelsior class and it's variants would have been phased out by now? Meh. Who knows.

-Snuffles
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Looking good as usual guys! Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Overall I'm very excited and glad to see these screenshots released. Here's my thoughts:

1) Big hands ... seriously ... creepy.

2) Trill ... loved this screen shot. This to me is a great balance between photo-realism and 'cartoony'. This makes me start thinking along the character customization lines. I really hope its very granular. SWG has issues, but the one thing they did really well from the get go was character customization ... you could get as granular as a nose-length slider as opposed to the 'pick one of the 10 face options' you see in so many games. I really hope character customization in STO goes past the "mr potato head" model of "select gender, 1-5 face options, 10-15 hair styles, spots/no-spots, etc"

3) the ship screenshot ... this was my least favorite (I know I know ... but it was). This shot looks very cartoony to me - lacking the balance I thought was achieved with the character shot.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Toaster87 wrote: »
    Im Scottish so thats my job . . . .I want a kilt damn it!!!! :p

Instead of a sporin it could be a big comm badge :D:p

Perhaps at funerals and fancy dress parties only?

Overall, I'm digging the art style. I want to see more modern stuff and less planet-side art as that stuff looks typical fantasy to me.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Nice to see the art improving. As I thought it would. It already looked 10 ZILLION times better than what Perpetual did. Now it's looks even better. I'm sure it will improve even more. I cannot wait to see some of the UI. Please PLEASE implement the LCARS UI for this game. OR at least give us a choice to use it. Don't make it look like WoW. Don't be afraid to implement high end detailed graphics for those who can handle it. Don't be like that other sci-fi mmo and go to the "lowest common denominator" for maximum profit. Make something to last for this and the next gen of computer systems.

end of rant.

I dunno I would kinda like to see them keep it open to the vast majority of ppl.

But here is the thing. Make the game start out with average graphics by default. Those of us that have machines that can handle the fancier graphics can figure out how to turn it up.

That way the game will be tuned to be available to everybody! Those that don't know how, have the money, or want to mess with a crappy gaming experience because it's choppy becuase their PC can't handle the graphics. They can play to, and the rest of us can tune the graphics how we see fit to take advantage of more powerful PC's.

I say this, because. There are many ppl that would be interested in Star Trek and playing the game, but may be turned away because of a crappy game experience because their PC can't cut the mustard. It should be like WoW in the sense that it can play on nearly anything! But have the ability to turn up the graphics for those that can.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Although the screenshots are great, I'm not gonna lie, still not impressed with the "cartoony-ness"

Greatly disappointed with the Starship.

2001 called and want's it's graphics back.

Honestly, is this title going to be dumbed down for 1 gig Celerons with cheesy onboard graphics?

Hello?

I am expecting more.

A lot more.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    i liked the pictures
    but i wana see is a new movie of star trek online xD
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I dont like the way those phaser banks look. They look nothing like in the shows. As for the science officer those are not peculiur. Those are trill markings. Guess you didn't watch DeepSpace 9 did you?

Guess you didn't know people could make jokes in forum posts did you? Of course they're Trill markings, the poster was just teasing a bit. You're crazy if you think anybody would be aloud to touch this game without a strong grasp of Star Trek lore. Heck, they've made it clear from interviews that they're required to log so many hours on a regular bases watching episodes of all the tv shows.

As for the phaser banks, just chill out. Its set decades ahead of anything else we've seen in the Star Trek Universe, there's no telling what sort of advancements, changes, and upgrades have been made since then.

I, for one, am very pleased with the screenshots and greatly look forward to the game's release.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    RyceSTO wrote: »
    SWG has issues, but the one thing they did really well from the get go was character customization ... you could get as granular as a nose-length slider as opposed to the 'pick one of the 10 face options' you see in so many games. I really hope character customization in STO goes past the "mr potato head" model of "select gender, 1-5 face options, 10-15 hair styles, spots/no-spots, etc"

I wouldn't be worried, and if you are, check out the former Cryptic title City of Heroes. The game is more than 4 years old and still has probably the most amazing character creator out there (one that Cryptic is apparently improving upon with Champions Online). As you had hoped for in STO, COH already allows sliders for such things as the nose, forehead, jaw, cranium, etc. and allows for changes of height, width, and depth. This on top of facial presets like Slim, Strong, Average, Smart, etc. I'm sure they'll include AT LEAST as versatile facial adjustments here in STO.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Greatly disappointed with the Starship.

2001 called and want's it's graphics back.

Honestly, is this title going to be dumbed down for 1 gig Celerons with cheesy onboard graphics?

Hello?

I am expecting more.

A lot more.

Chill out dude, you're crazy if you think this is what the game is going to look like when its not to be released for at least another year. I doubt there was ever a MMO that wasn't being tweaked and refined (graphics included) right up until the release date. And of course, NO MMO EVER stops improving at its release, unless it wants to die real fast.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think the are a little too cartoonish myself, but I guess that will mean less graphics power t run the game.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The game is being built on an engine designed for what is quite literally an mmo comic-book.

The visuals are bound to be a little stylistic.

-Snuffles
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    They want the game to be graphically pleasing, but at the same time they don’t want it to be so graphic intensive that only the best systems can run it. Because this is a MMORPG you can't expect it to be blow your mind outrageous graphics because if they did that, it would severely limit their market.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I wouldn't be worried, and if you are, check out the former Cryptic title City of Heroes. <snip> As you had hoped for in STO, COH already allows sliders for such things as the nose, forehead, jaw, cranium, etc. <snip>

True, but even CoH (and I have played it quite a bit actually) left me wanting more options. I do realize I'm extremely needy in this regard, but the more options the better. I want to be able to create the face I want to create ... not simply just be able to create a "reasonably unique" one. I'd love to see sliders for all sorts of things like eye size, eye roundness, eye angle, eye separation, ear size, ear placement, ... the more the better. ;)
    Ramesses wrote: »
    I think the are a little too cartoonish myself, but I guess that will mean less graphics power t run the game.

Me too. I'm hopeful they'll up the realism a bit ... after all we're not here on this forum because were comic book fans (even if we are) ... we're here because we're Star Trek fans ... and stunning visuals and effects should be expected in that genre IMHO.
    Reptile279 wrote: »
    <snip> Because this is a MMORPG you can't expect it to be blow your mind outrageous graphics because if they did that, it would severely limit their market.

This idea is non-sequitur ... take a look at the latest update to EVE Online. Absolutely amazing graphics and its a successful MMO with a large following.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    very very nice stuff keep up the good work cant wait to play it afther seeing these screens and the last ask cryptic
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Stronin wrote: »
    As any good update does, this just opens all sorts of cans of worms ;)

Keep it up Cryptic :D

--- love new stuff.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Pics are great but i would like a new trailer,STO style!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    i love the screen shots exellent work cryptic
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    i do think the hands are slightly too big. but they can still fix that. they look for feedback for a reason.

but from looking at the updated screenshots, the graphics look great!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I just noticed that the building in the background of the "Trill officer" screenshot has glowing BLUE pieces. So not only do Klingons have pointless glowing red parts on their buildings, but Federation has pointless glowing blue parts. Please do not make this into Unreal Tournament CTF.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Good images! ^_^

TY. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    wow. i get a "page not found".. how do i find these wonderful pics?
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    yeah, the new screenshots seem to be gone. :( what gives? :confused:
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Looks good !
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    "Impressive."
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Im glad people are starting to turn around. I thnk the graphics are getting better naturally as development comes along but theyve always been good for the stage theyre in. I hope people get happier as the graphics really pick up.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    wow. i get a "page not found".. how do i find these wonderful pics?

If you look on the main page, there is a category on the far right side for Screenshots Gallery. They all should be right in there.