test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Three New Screenshots! (November 26, 2008)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Cormoran wrote: »
    ooooh i can already feel the questions coming on, like what are those green things on the ship?c!

Omg. I was getting ready to ask that same question... :p
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Dry Dock: I'll admit, for an actual in-game screenshot that's impressive. Looks like STO is going to be T&L heavy. So people better start saving for good graphics cards. :p

As for the Centaur, I like seeing the port holes. However, I really do not like seeing the Green Domes, Phaser Array, and the Exterior Lights. Also the Torpedo Tubes need some work, they look like "Evil Eyes". (BTW, why are the tubes armed in Dry Dock?) :eek:

Science Officer: Well screenshots tend to be more deceptive than actual footage. But to me it still needs some tweeking. (At least the female models don't look like Playboy Playmates from other games.) :D

Klingon Outpost: For a minute, I thought we were in WoW and "storming the castle" :p

Anyhow, you think there would be some defense turrets around.

The Terrain is nice, but I'm not too fond of the grass. Wonder if they actually can provide cover from being visually spotted?
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    They have said that they want the game to run well and look good on a wide variety of computers, so that means it will be scaleable. Let them finish building the world and everything before they put the final polish and spit-shine on everything. They aren't even at Beta yet.

For all we know, they may do something similar to Lord of the Rings Online, where they have the default, regular client that installs from the retail discs, and then there's a high-rez client that players can download (patch certain texture and .dat files) if they have high-end machines. LOTRO is a gorgeous game on high-end machines but can still be scaled down to a mid-range computer.

Even if the graphics stay the same as these screenshots, I think it looks good. Watch an episode of TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, they are all on the bright, colorful side, especially TOS, TNG, VOY. They aren't exactly ALIENS with Ripley looking for Xenomorphs in the shadows. I wouldn't expect a Trek MMO to look like that. This isn't a post-apocalyptic FPS, it's an MMO.

The ships may look bright and colorful (i.e. "cartoony" to some) but they may need to be so they can render the big dog fights in the vastness of space, the final frontier. The planet-side shots already look better than WOW. And we may not be seeing the final render of lighting, specular highlights, etc.

So far the game is looking good. I just can't wait to play it! But I will wait as long as it takes them to make the game they are wanting to make, even if there's delayed release.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well, my impressions:

Overall
    Generally, I like the look. There's a few design elements I take sception to, though ... primarily, the apparent "Blue = Fed, Red = Klingon" oversimplification. I'd rather installations got flags, banners, and painted-on-the-wall emblems to identify them, rather than "giant colored window-like things".

Ship in Drydock
    Looks nice; very detailed, too. It seems you've gone for discrete single-point "phaser emitter" architecture, rather than arc-based "phaser array" architecture; I suppose it makes showing where a shot comes from easier. Also, knowing which firing arcs still have functional weapons.

The Lady in Blue
    I like the uniform details. Hopefully there's a range of possibilities for us to choose from, so we can personalise our clothes as much as we can personalise our ships.

Oh, and I'd like to be able to go with slight variatiosn from Bridge-crew member to Bridge-crew member; for example, I'd like to have my security officer be straightlaced and wear her uniform strictly By The Book, while the science officer is a bit more easy-going and wears his "jacket" unfastened, and the medical officer wears elements of their native racial "star navy" in her univorm - like Worf wore that sash/bandolier thing.

Mister Big-Hands
    Yeah. Those hands ARE big. Or his head's small. One of the two; the proportions are a bit .... off.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Someone said the "Federation vessel in dry dock" is a Centaur-class starship, so I looked that up on Google.

Cool diagram of Centaur-class frigate

The ship in dry dock looks like a faithful reproduction of this ship, down to the domes on the under side of the saucer section (the only variation being that in the game the domes are green). It doesn't look like the Centaur class ship uses the phaser array.

But then again, we know the Galaxy class does, and the only time we see a Galaxy class ship fire phasers in the trailer it doesn't look like it does the special animation of the energy sliding around the array before shooting out. Maybe they are not going to incorporate that to cut down on rendering for less lag during big dog fights.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    nice Screenshots, i want to play....:)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Great screen shots can't wait to play
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Every time I see or read somthing new abaut sto I get all excited and can´t wait till release date. Maby it´s because I trie to keep my expetations as low as posible, so when somthing new is realsesed on the site I get all excited abaut it.

And even if I get decipointed abaut the game I´ll still play it alot just for the exploration part of it. However the more I think abaut it the more unlikly it is, to not like the game, considering that all peases of info and screenshots points in the way of it getting to be orsam.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Glorious! Please add more as soon as possible... and perhaps add a concept art section, I'd love to see Cryptics artists at work :D
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Liking the uniform.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I wonder if the large hands were made in conscious thought. For The Old Republic MMO that was recently announced, the developers consciously made the decision to make the characters and their items oddly proportioned (e.g. the lightsaber hilts are huge) based off of the proportions used on Michelangelo's David (suggesting "heroic" proportions). It may have been a similar decision made independently (TOR was announced after STO) by the two companies?
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wao,cool screenshots =)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    very nice screenshots :D

wonder what those yellow orbs are on the Centaur class though..and from what i have found out they are not standard so itis obviously some sort of upgrade or apart of its refit

plus since it was built in the same era as the Excelsior...well doesnt that hint that some older ships could be included too?

love how that klingon base looks although i would expect a few more klingons around it...either that or they were scared off by his huge hands haha :D

and amazing detail on the science officer (whom from now i shall refer to as Ezri since she resembles her alot) :D
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    apart from the usual embellishments - pointy ears, alien markings, different hair, etc. why do all the faces (from all the pics/vids so far) look generally the same? Wheres the customization?

The big hands are a tad disturbing... hope that's not the norm for humanoids
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yep nice pics, would'nt mind these ones for my desktop background myself :D
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    yea nice screens
    love that they have a Centaur class I all ways liked the older style hulls in stead of the sleek areo dynamic look they started to go with enterprise E. and voy.
    glade there is going to be some varity to hull styles.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Centaur with bobblybits - how retro! :p

I like the uniforms - is updated yet retains the feel of the uniforms in the era of star trek we're most familiar with.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    IanD967 wrote: »
    plus since it was built in the same era as the Excelsior...well doesnt that hint that some older ships could be included too?

Well, it's been confirmed for a while that you can make ships reminiscent of the older classes, but all the details of ship customization are not known. In character creation, it seems as though we're given a "toybox" of pieces that we can mix and match, such that we can put a Klingon forehead, Gorn eyes, and Vulcan ears on our avatar and make it a new species. The same idea might apply to the creation of a ship. You might be able to take an Intrepid class primary hull, slap it on a galaxy class secondary hull, and then attach Excelsior class warp nacelles to make a new class of ship. Or, you can take the galaxy Class primary hull, slap it on a Galaxy class secondary hull, and include Galaxy class warp nacelles, effectively giving you... a Galaxy class ship.

All the news so far makes me think that this is how things will ultimately work, but I am not 100% sure. I am also unsure as to whether or not we construct every ship that we earn, or if we select from canonical ships and then gain the ability to switch out its components after the fact.

One article explicitly says that we may not have the ability to fly an exact replica of the Miranda class, but that we will be able to create a ship that more-or-less looks like one. This suggests that the "Miranda class" won't be present in game, but if you take a Constitution class primary hull, scrap the secondary hull, and put Miranda style warp nacelles attached to the primary hull you'll effectively have your Miranda class. The same might be true of the Centaur class in the screenshots. For all we know one of the Devs is a fan of the design and so created a ship that looked like it. It might not be a true Centaur class per se.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Beautiful stuff! Thank you Cryptic! You guys are doing some genuinely incredible work.

I wonder, with a Centaur being there, are my hopes to have a modernized Excelsior class ship going to be fulfilled? I hope so!

Keep it coming guys! You guys are going to make Star Trek even better. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I can't wait anymore GIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Seeing the centaur class in this era for the game makes me have hope that we will get to use the excelsior and ambassador class ships as well :) I am dying to see more info on what ship classes will be in the game that we have already seen in the various star trek series :D
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    In terms of the uniform variation from what we saw in the trailer, I noticed that the Trill science officer doesn't have any rank pips so maybe she is a cadet?

I love the screenshots...I have not been this excited about a game in a long time. Star Trek is one of those genres that I think was meant to be MMO.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    This game is looking great! Thanks for the surge of info and now pictures.
    If those are ingame, I am totally happy with the graphics.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    cool screebshots:)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Seeing the centaur class in this era for the game makes me have hope that we will get to use the excelsior and ambassador class ships as well :) I am dying to see more info on what ship classes will be in the game that we have already seen in the various star trek series :D

you cant get the same class but you can make one similar
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Since the large hands seem to be troubling some, it was noted before over on the Champions board that you can scale things like hand and feet size so I would not worry about that particular element atm.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well, it's been confirmed for a while that you can make ships reminiscent of the older classes, but all the details of ship customization are not known. In character creation, it seems as though we're given a "toybox" of pieces that we can mix and match, such that we can put a Klingon forehead, Gorn eyes, and Vulcan ears on our avatar and make it a new species. The same idea might apply to the creation of a ship. You might be able to take an Intrepid class primary hull, slap it on a galaxy class secondary hull, and then attach Excelsior class warp nacelles to make a new class of ship. Or, you can take the galaxy Class primary hull, slap it on a Galaxy class secondary hull, and include Galaxy class warp nacelles, effectively giving you... a Galaxy class ship.

All the news so far makes me think that this is how things will ultimately work, but I am not 100% sure. I am also unsure as to whether or not we construct every ship that we earn, or if we select from canonical ships and then gain the ability to switch out its components after the fact.

One article explicitly says that we may not have the ability to fly an exact replica of the Miranda class, but that we will be able to create a ship that more-or-less looks like one. This suggests that the "Miranda class" won't be present in game, but if you take a Constitution class primary hull, scrap the secondary hull, and put Miranda style warp nacelles attached to the primary hull you'll effectively have your Miranda class. The same might be true of the Centaur class in the screenshots. For all we know one of the Devs is a fan of the design and so created a ship that looked like it. It might not be a true Centaur class per se.

very good point you have although i am fully aware of what the ship customisation is capable of :) its just surprising to actually see a ship that does look pretty damned close to the original look

plus there isnt anything saying that we cannot just choose a standard class like you can with the races so instead of creating your own race you can pick one of the ready made ones with a change here or there and the same could be said for the starships so that if you dont want to create your own ship you can pick one of the already created ones :)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Great pics thanks, the guys hands do look a little big, but everything else looks great, well done Cyptic!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, Cryptic - listen to everyone's input and take notice - awesome graphics, very well done... but horrible hands. I, also, do not like the large hands. I realize that they make carrying guns, etc. easier to program, but they don't "fit" the rest of the look imho.

I'm sure if the game came out and the hands were still big I'd be able to ignore it, but I still think better proportioned hands would be ideal.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    With each bit of new info it makes me want to play this game more and more.