test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Three New Screenshots! (November 26, 2008)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Raven0238 wrote: »
    I have to ask this question, it seems that, graphic-wise, some of the screenshots that we have been given look inconsistent, some like the vulcan outpost look amazing, while others though conceptually very nice like the starship in drydock, look like a cartoon, not something, I think we expect from STO. Are the graphic settings really low, or is it the full effect??

Nope. Those are actually high quality graphics, just not the style you are expecting. The style seems to be bright, vibrant colors rather then more photorealistic shading. This is a design choice and is not usually indictive of the engine itself.
    After all, look at Team Fortress 2. It uses similar shading styles and it's run off the Source Engine, which produces Half-Life 2.

My point is:
    If you don't like how it looks, blame the designer, not the engine.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Also consider that typically your not going to be standing 3 feet away from a star ship, and that they may need the ability to render 40+ of them on screen at once.

Long story short, Its all about optimization. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Varrangian wrote: »
    Seriously did ya'll know today was my birthday? :D Thanks

happy b-day van. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    i agree these are great screens, cant wait for the next tid bits of screens, info ,and movies. that will lead up to stos launch :D keep up the great work cryptic.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Boo! Hiss! Damn you all and your broken phaser arrays with giant impediments and futuristic non-Medieval stereotypically Medieval style castle... Damn you.:( I wanted a genuine Medieval world and a single, unbroken arc of phaser array. I have a dream, that every child can fire all his firepower in every direction without spinning like a top, and can visit alien amusement parks full of mystery and redshirt life threatening danger, Preserver worlds full of humans in strange analogs of Earth, and kill interesting people across the universe. I have a dream! A dream, of a Star Trek without giant, pointless, glowing panels instead of windows, and has not a wheel in sight. Where everyone has a personal shield, and a phaser with at least 16 settings, three of which are for punching bowling ball size holes in people. Where I can prance about without fear of of seeing something so out of character that I want to cry...

Other than that, I enjoyed the new pictures greatly.:D
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Love it!Big hands i know your the one:)
    Thanx again Cryptic!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Do the hands look really big on the federation officer outside the Klingon outpost to anyone else?

That's because the uniform... It's too tight, it interrupts the blood circulation. I mean just look at the skin rash on the science officers neck, painful!

Just kidding :D
    Thanks for the three new screenshots, my faith in humanity is restored to a certain degree!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    thanks for the candy
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Great pics!! I love the detail and pastel colour effect. This colour scheme is an excellent tool for artists to create and distort the mood of the viewer (especially if ur at a screen for 7hours).Good choice Cryptic:)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    happy b-day van. :D

Well thank you very much Angelphoenix.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    You guys are soo going to blow WoW out of the water. Anything I can do to help make that happen, let me know. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    whoohoo! I was hoping for more screen shots the other day (anything besides just more text answers really) and here they are! Keep it up! :D:D
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    awesome screenshots, graphics look amazing.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Great pics! Forget the dry overcooked land ornithoid. I give thanks for the STO team responding to the community and sharing these pics with us.

I love the shot of the Klingon Outpost, I recognized it as Klingon architecture before reading the screenshot's title. That Feddy red shirt is sooo going to eat some disruptor blasts.

The ship also looks really good. I can't wait to see some Klingon ships :D I wondered if we would actually dock in a dry dock as opposed to just docking at a starbase. Are dry docks used for upgrades? repairs? both?

I wondered if Trills were among those "and several others" that was mentioned in previous interviews regarding playable races. Will they be joined with symbionts or non-joined Trill like Ezri was?

Keep up the great work STO Team! :)

P.S. That Federation officer needs to stop using those creams that enlarge certain extremities.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Did anyone else pee their pants a little when they saw these screenshots? I think they're great. I'd just like to see some of the user interface.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ooooo! Pretty and that Centaur looks sexy! Guess I'll be geeking out for the rest of the night now. Wootness!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I give this an
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ooh yeah me too! I want to see the UI's for both Federation and Klingon gameplay, shipboard and planet-side.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    To borrow a saying from a different sci-fi series. Shinny!
    Thanks for the Thanksgiving gifts. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Razor wrote:
    We've added three new screenshots to our gallery! Included is a first look at a Federation vessel in dry dock and a Science Officer with peculiar markings!

See them in our gallery!

The shots look great, thanks for giving us a few more peeks into the world of STO. Can't wait to play!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Although the screenshots are great, I'm not gonna lie, still not impressed with the "cartoony-ness"
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Although the screenshots are great, I'm not gonna lie, still not impressed with the "cartoony-ness"

Play Wow For 5 minutes, then say it is cartoony.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Thank you for another update, it's like christmas
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    ooooh i can already feel the questions coming on, like what are those green things on the ship? is the zipper a customization option or a new uniform? does that federation officer have a really big errrr...?

thankyou for the pics cryptic!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Do the hands look really big on the federation officer outside the Klingon outpost to anyone else?

If you watch the trailer there hands look the same as in the new screen shots
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    um... if you are serious that these are in game renders/screen shots then the art team needs to fire the persons doing the textures. This is 2008 not 2004, this is a game to be played on top of the line computers, from what I see the quality of the textures and the lighting is horrid, something from a cut scene on a ps1!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    If Large-Handed-Man is indeed not human, then perhaps the devs should consider making those hands a bit bigger to clear up this confusion. :D

Now, can Cryptic commit to releasing more screen shots within the next 2 weeks? We went nearly 2 months this time, which is really not cool given this game's history with its fans. It would be very smart to reward even the slightest goodwill of fans with some sign of progress once or twice every month.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It's intentional. Just like how Team Fortress 2 is intentionally colored the way it is and not realistic like Half-Life 2, even though they use the same engine. It's just the style they chose.

STO wrote: »
    um... if you are serious that these are in game renders/screen shots then the art team needs to fire the persons doing the textures. This is 2008 not 2004, this is a game to be played on top of the line computers, from what I see the quality of the textures and the lighting is horrid, something from a cut scene on a ps1!
    Actually the direction of the art is intentional. It's not the decision of the artist what style to draw it, but the decision of the project leader (Craig) about what art style to use. It's like, as I've mentioned. Team Fortress 2 vs Half-Life 2. Sure they could have made TF2 more life-like, but they didn't and it's still awesome AND high quality.

Just because you can't see someone's facial pores doesn't mean it can be rendered on a PS1.
    Although if we have an MMO that can do 60FPS of a CGI render that probably took a full day to render, I think that's impressive.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    If Large-Handed-Man is indeed not human, then perhaps the devs should consider making those hands a bit bigger to clear up this confusion. :D

Now, can Cryptic commit to releasing more screen shots within the next 2 weeks? We went nearly 2 months this time, which is really not cool given this game's history with its fans. It would be very smart to reward even the slightest goodwill of fans with some sign of progress once or twice every month.

It could just be the way the camera is positioned.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Rgoodfel wrote: »
    To borrow a saying from a different sci-fi series. Shinny!
    Thanks for the Thanksgiving gifts. :D

Shinny indeed my friend ! love these new pics thank you cryptic , awsome job as always.