test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Three New Screenshots! (November 26, 2008)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I laugh in the faces of those whom would claim this game has "cartoon graphics"... MWAHAHAHAHAAA!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    In terms of the uniform variation from what we saw in the trailer, I noticed that the Trill science officer doesn't have any rank pips so maybe she is a cadet?

I love the screenshots...I have not been this excited about a game in a long time. Star Trek is one of those genres that I think was meant to be MMO.

You know I saw that too and before clicking on the next picture of the Star Fleet guy in front of the Klingon Fortress I was kind of hoping that had decided to put the rank on the cuffs instead.

I'm curious what they going to do about rank, as it would be nice to be able to see people's ranks to judge if they are the right "level" to group with.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for these. Very, very nice. I particularly liked the starship in drydock, as it just ramps up my desire to "get out there" and explore even further!

Cheers,

KOS
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The screen shots are nice , but are women in this environment unable to have long well looked after hair ?
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    LordDave wrote: »
    I think it confirms all suspicion that the shots we see are completed, ingame shots rather then early stage graphics. This means that STO is going to have bright, vibrant colors, which deviate from realism. The characters alone are nestled in the uncanny valley.
    Personally, I like it. I know some people hate it, but I don't let medium bother me so: YAY!

I suspect we're not done yet, graphics-wise. We've both seen MMORPGs, I'm sure, where the graphics were getting tweaked, refined, and "smoothed" right up until the end of beta. While the general flavor of the graphics seems to be set, I wouldn't be shocked if further refinements remain to be seen.

Just sayin',

KOS
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Pacew wrote: »
    Yeah it is a centaur class

A Centaur, or a 2409 uprated version of a Centaur?

I'm not being a smart-TRIBBLE here. I'm serious. I'm still wondering whether we'll be seeing, say, Excelsiors or Centaurs which are hold-over "relics" of earlier eras in-game -- or whether the idea will be that classes get tweaked, changed, and uprated over the decades (as opposed to phased out, or replaced with a new class)?

Thus, a Centaur class ship like this retains the same general look as its "ancestor", but the ship itself in 2409 is a very different, very modern beast, in its technology and its interior configuration.

It's something I've been wondering about, anyway.

KOS
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Do the hands look really big on the federation officer outside the Klingon outpost to anyone else?

I think it may be a trick of perspective in the particular pic. We need some more screens to compare against until we can know for sure.

Cheers,

KOS
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Is it just me, or have there been changes to the Starfleet uniform since the trailer?

You know, all the chatter from Jack Emmert et al about "uniform options" in-game (sorry, Parker, I'm too lazy to link all the bits right now) has me wondering if there will even be a hard-and-fast standard uniform in the current military sense?

I sometimes suspect we'll see a range of "Starfleet sanctioned options" (kinda like how Kirk had the green wrap-around tunic sometimes, or Picard the grey-shirt-and-jacket ensemble) and as long as your characters' uniforms draw from elements in the "sanctioned options" list, you're considered officially "in-uniform".

Thus, Klingons in the Federation (like Worf) -- if such a service option comes -- could wear their sash, and still be "right" with the uniform code. And so on.

Certainly, certain uniform combinations will be more common (i.e. whatever the majority of Starfleet NPCs get clothed in by default), but players and their command crews may have more leeway.

Just a suspicion of mine,

KOS
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    You know, all the chatter from Jack Emmert et al about "uniform options" in-game (sorry, Parker, I'm too lazy to link all the bits right now) has me wondering if there will even be a hard-and-fast standard uniform in the current military sense?

I sometimes suspect we'll see a range of "Starfleet sanctioned options" (kinda like how Kirk had the green wrap-around tunic sometimes, or Picard the grey-shirt-and-jacket ensemble) and as long as your characters' uniforms draw from elements in the "sanctioned options" list, you're considered officially "in-uniform".

Thus, Klingons in the Federation (like Worf) -- if such a service option comes -- could wear their sash, and still be "right" with the uniform code. And so on.

Certainly, certain uniform combinations will be more common (i.e. whatever the majority of Starfleet NPCs get clothed in by default), but players and their command crews may have more leeway.

Just a suspicion of mine,

KOS

Since this really is a topic I've been interested in from day one, I will shed this bit of light on the subject...
    Whether you join the Klingon Empire or put on the Star Fleet insignia, uniforms don't offer many customization options. While you can adjust some features of your dress, Cryptic has concentrated their character creator on body and face adjustments.

From the GI article. While things are always subject to change, I've not seen anything to suggest the above quote is no longer valid.

As many know I'm a big supporter of uniform customization, so this is a little disappointed, but at least there will be some options if not "many".
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Varrangian wrote: »
    Since this really is a topic I've been interested in from day one, I will shed this bit of light on the subject...

From the GI article. While things are always subject to change, I've not seen anything to suggest the above quote is no longer valid.

As many know I'm a big supporter of uniform customization, so this is a little disappointed, but at least there will be some options if not "many".

Thanks for this V -- I have the Game Informer article here also.

Our problem is that we don't know what "many" means to the original speaker.

He may have meant that STO won't work like Cryptic's last game, City of Heroes, where dozens and dozens of costuming options became available over time. This may simply be the speaker's way of saying that a uniform code will be enforced (no bathrobes, boxer shorts, cowboy hats, or hawaiian shirts while on duty, thank God).

Thus, the uniform itself is non-negotiable while on duty, but there may still be options so long as you adhere to the "in-uniform" requirement.

As always, imprecise terms are the enemy of those of us who just wanna know! :D

Thanks for talking -- and happy belated birthday,

KOS
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for this V -- I have the Game Informer article here also.

Our problem is that we don't know what "many" means to the original speaker.

He may have meant that STO won't work like Cryptic's last game, City of Heroes, where dozens and dozens of costuming options became available over time. This may simply be the speaker's way of saying that a uniform code will be enforced (no bathrobes, boxer shorts, cowboy hats, or hawaiian shirts while on duty, thank God).

Thus, the uniform itself is non-negotiable while on duty, but there may still be options so long as you adhere to the "in-uniform" requirement.

As always, imprecise terms are the enemy of those of us who just wanna know! :D

Thanks for talking -- and happy belated birthday,

KOS

I agree the imprecise language is a butt in this case. Though, and perhaps this is my worry showing through, I take it to mean that we will not have a lot of options. But I could be wrong and I'd be happy to be wrong in this case.

Thanks for the happy birthday, now if I could just get Cryptic to launch on 11-26-09 :D
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yep. I agree with LordDave. I am also more satisfied with the hair and face detail. The ship's edgy saucer section is evident but it won't bother me much if at all. After all I don't think that you will spend a lot of time staring up very close at your ship even in the battle and even then your mind will be too occupied to notice the edginess. I will get utmost satisfaction that my ship is well equipped and there is a lot of interesting stuff to do with it rather from checking pixels on the nacelles. I bet some people will dislike it at first but I am sure that after they are submerged into the game play very few will even be bothered by somewhat bright colored or edgy graphics.
    Good work Cryptic. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wow...

The touch of the game really appeals me.
    And the trill model, only thing there's to say is "omg omg omg". Also I can already imagine myself running towards a town and seeing klingons down the road, damn this game has a whole lot of promise.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The ship looks great, and I look forward to having a Trill around on my bridgecrew
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Those new screenshots of the game look awesome.

I can't wait till the game comes out though. I would love to play it.

I don't want to rush cryptic on bringing out the game.
    What i want is that they bring out the game in due time, so all bugs and loopholes are out of the game, and that they bring out a great game. (not one that they bring out and 2 weeks later they need to bring out a patch to fill the 100 of bugs still in the game.)

Oh, and i can't wait to use the 'beam me up scotty' technology. :p
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Howcome they threw away the gray uniform? .. This style appeals me more though.

I like the non-realistic grafics accutally... it will probably be alot more compatible with my computer aswell. (im poor and lacks loads of latinum)

The docked ship reminds me of EVE abit , this vast space behind it and all...

no i think this game is going to be a real hit , especially for people who have some years behind them since Star Trek takes abit of "thinking" to it.. sure i could show someone who is 15 an episode and he/she likes it .. but the thought behind most episodes takes some exeperience to melt .. and i hope its the same with the game so we dont end up with a new World of Warcraft.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What's gioing on with all the approval around here? Couldn't we mix it up with a bit of unreasonable criticism?

I guess I'll just have to adjust to everyone being so happy :p

Great job Cryptic
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What's gioing on with all the approval around here? Couldn't we mix it up with a bit of unreasonable criticism?

I guess I'll just have to adjust to everyone being so happy :p

Great job Cryptic

Should I start complaining about the lack of kilt options for uniforms?
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Varrangian wrote: »
    Should I start complaining about the lack of kilt options for uniforms?

Im Scottish so thats my job . . . .I want a kilt damn it!!!! :p

Instead of a sporin it could be a big comm badge :D:p
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Let me just say that I for one really like the new uniforms, I hope that it is a standard design. I prefer the new look over the trailer uniforms. I hope these stay and are consistent.

I thought the graphics were somewhat cartoony. I enjoyed seeing the space dock but I would have liked a little more realism. I think my computer will handle it, as most probably would.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Toaster87 wrote: »
    Im Scottish so thats my job . . . .I want a kilt damn it!!!! :p

Instead of a sporin it could be a big comm badge :D:p

LMAO... it would have to be a furry comm badge :D
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Nice Screenshots! Can't wait to be able to play this game.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I want to see more planet surface screenies. We have plenty in space.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    nice, thank you Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    This is exactly the kind of update I hope to see whenever I log onto the main Star Trek online website! Thank you for posting these!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Let me just say that I for one really like the new uniforms, I hope that it is a standard design. I prefer the new look over the trailer uniforms. I hope these stay and are consistent.

I thought the graphics were somewhat cartoony. I enjoyed seeing the space dock but I would have liked a little more realism. I think my computer will handle it, as most probably would.
    If this were a single player game I would be all for super-realistic graphics. But considering it's possible to have dozens of ships involved in a battle - I'd much settle for an "7" "8" or "9" on a scale of 1 to 10 if it meant I wasn't lagging horriby around the universe.

As is, I think the graphics look great. The Centaur and character model look really nice. The Klingon building looks just like I imagine a Klingon building would.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Looking good, cant wait to play this!:cool:
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    In terms of the uniform variation from what we saw in the trailer, I noticed that the Trill science officer doesn't have any rank pips so maybe she is a cadet?

I love the screenshots...I have not been this excited about a game in a long time. Star Trek is one of those genres that I think was meant to be MMO.

I'm also disappointed by the lack of pips. Don't cadets have stripes and such on their uniform shoulders?

I love me some rank pips.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Forgive me if my question seems stupid (I'm a complete newbie as far as MMOs and Cryptic products are concerned)...

Why do the screenshots look more like paintings than like rendered CGI?

(I should be able to handle really technical responses... I am familiar with C/C++ and have read about and experimented with the basics of DirectX and OpenGL).
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Forgive me if my question seems stupid (I'm a complete newbie as far as MMOs and Cryptic products are concerned)...

Why do the screenshots look more like paintings than like rendered CGI?

(I should be able to handle really technical responses... I am familiar with C/C++ and have read about and experimented with the basics of DirectX and OpenGL).

It's the chosen art style of the game. Bright, high contrast colors. Also the faces are lacking in photo-realistic textures, which makes them look "cartoony". This has nothing to do with the engine itself, but the decision on which direction to take the art.