test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

April 2023 Outage Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,990 Arc User
    Find something else to play while the problem is being fixed, best thing I can think of right now.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      dakotadahotnessdakotadahotness Member Posts: 170 Arc User
      Censoring the masses isn't a good look

Violating forum rules isn't a good look either.

Weak sauce, but you carry on.
    • Options
      xraiderv1xraiderv1 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
      theres the happy middle of the road..of..yunno..actually following the rules? speaking as a 10+ year admin of a scifi pixel art website here. that said..

onto the topic at hand:

launcher wont even load, its stuck on updating launcher now.
      Murphy's laws:
      1- Murphy’s Law tells us that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
      2- And anything that does go wrong will get progressively worse.
      3- And if you survive the first two laws it’s time to panic.
    • Options
      husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,600 Arc User
      edited April 2023
      Attempted view is invalid.

Well that is a new one.

Wonder if this is something to do with a Chrome backend in the launcher. Anyway this is kinda funny. lol
    • Options
      patchl#5938 patchl Member Posts: 4 Arc User
      So i was in for a while now getting an error code 4 about 40% of a download of an instance it couldn't finish the download then crashed and trying to load again getting the error code 4 now unable to view
    • Options
      illutian#6317 illutian Member Posts: 2 Arc User
      Yep. same thing happened to me, was in for a bit then froze and crashed, and getting Error Code 4
    • Options
      echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User

You violate forum rules, your post gets edited, simple as that. You didn't read the rules before you posted?

How is that weak sauce? She was doing her job as moderator. You do yours by not posting against forum rules, simple as that.
      Now a LTS and loving it.
      Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
      I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    • Options
      clannmacclannmac Member Posts: 279 Arc User
      Aye; this only just appeared for me as well - new take on the same "patch/crash" problem?
      2h2naqid2i8f.jpg
      366400.jpg

Fleet Commander
      Caprica's Revenge
      (...actually active since November 2010, which may one day be important to archaeologists, but not to anyone else...)
    • Options
      swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
      husanakx wrote: »
      Attempted view is invalid.

Well that is a new one.

Wonder if this is something to do with a Chrome backend in the launcher. Anyway this is kinda funny. lol

I've been able to get in the past two days without any issues. After various timeouts, I'm now getting
      Error 4: Attempted view is invalid as well.
    • Options
      clannmacclannmac Member Posts: 279 Arc User

Woody down, mate...you DO realise this is just a GAME, yeah - not "the end of all things?"

P.S. Talking smack to the Devs and such: not a good way to get what you want, even as a customer.
      366400.jpg

Fleet Commander
      Caprica's Revenge
      (...actually active since November 2010, which may one day be important to archaeologists, but not to anyone else...)
    • Options
      tanadanattanadanat Member Posts: 76 Arc User
      edited April 2023
      I wonder when Cats will appear as an error message...

All your base are belong to us
    • Options
      shocke89shocke89 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
      edited April 2023
      (Flaming/trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    • Options
      patchl#5938 patchl Member Posts: 4 Arc User
      anyone try turning it off and back on again? :)
    • Options
      Probably time for Cryptic to flash the red server down light. Have people stop nailing their patch server... and then go through their logs or whatever they have to do to fix the issue. Honest suggestion... perhaps its time to just roll back this weeks patch completely and run on a 2 week old version till it can be sorted next week.
    • Options
      neskweeekneskweeek Member Posts: 7 Arc User
      edited April 2023
      If they planned a disaster recovery plan, which is obviouslly not the case : at 1 day off this is generally not even a question you ask anymore .
      But hey ... testing and planning is doubting
    • Options
      ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,677 Community Manager
      Hey gang - don't want to send too many "we have no update" updates, but just to keep you informed, the team is still working hard on trying to pinpoint the best way to fix this issue, which is affecting all Cryptic games right now. Hopefully some good news today.
    • Options
      I've played for many years seen some outages but this one appears to be more complicated than those previously. The fix for it may take some time wish they could swap it to unreal engine 5 but I bet that would be cost prohibitive.
    • Options
      angusmcfifexiii#8078 angusmcfifexiii Member Posts: 12 Arc User
      Sucks that the game is down. Makes me realize I might spend too much time in the game.
    • Options
      kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
      clannmac wrote: »
      Aye; this only just appeared for me as well - new take on the same "patch/crash" problem?
      2h2naqid2i8f.jpg

Yep, same here. This is what i'm getting after the launcher patched.
      "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
    • Options
      str8nge1str8nge1 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
      The Borg will stop at nothing to keep First Contact from happening
    • Options
      stusaysmoostusaysmoo Member Posts: 42 Arc User
      edited April 2023
      Hey gang - don't want to send too many "we have no update" updates, but just to keep you informed, the team is still working hard on trying to pinpoint the best way to fix this issue, which is affecting all Cryptic games right now. Hopefully some good news today.

Thank you Kael for coming here to say that, do not underestimate how much even a "there is no update" matters when things go to the dogs... MOST of us no doubt are fully supportive of all your efforts to solve this quickly, but with no contact it can be easy for some to fill the gaps with "nobody cares".. so for me at least, thanks for the (no) update :)
    • Options
      fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,274 Arc User
    • Options
      xsi1exsi1e Member Posts: 109 Arc User
      edited April 2023
      Sure hope that they extend the events. Because have not been able to play since the 6th. Launcher will not patch, sometimes it goes 2 attempts then closes itself other times it will go 10 attempts, then let me log in just to say the connection took to long to respond and timed out then close itself.
      1kltX02.jpg
    • Options
      edited April 2023
      I've played for many years seen some outages but this one appears to be more complicated than those previously. The fix for it may take some time wish they could swap it to unreal engine 5 but I bet that would be cost prohibitive.

They would have to recreate the entire game. So ya cost prohibitive. :)

Also their engine has many advantages over Epics engine which is in no way a MMO engine designed to run on STO level server hardware. (STO doesn't have the population to justify a massive increase in server costs) Of course they seem to be having more and more of these issues the last few years... I think embracer may want to look at staffing levels and or giving staff the resources (time) to identify the largest issues and fix/rebuild as needed to ensure the game runs smoother going forward.
    • Options
      husanakx wrote: »

They would have to recreate the entire game. So ya cost prohibitive. :)

Also their engine has many advantages over Epics engine which is in no way a MMO engine designed to run on STO level server hardware. (STO doesn't have the population to justify a massive increase in server costs) Of course they seem to be having more and more of these issues the last few years... I think embracer may want to look at staffing levels and or giving staff the resources (time) to identify the largest issues and fix/rebuild as needed to ensure the game runs smoother going forward.

Spot on.
    • Options
      modernpaladin1modernpaladin1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
      edited April 2023
      This is how it starts. The creators of the technology retire, and those tasked with managing it don't fully understand how it works, and so it slowly fails. Today: Star Trek Online. Next year, hopefully not the power grid...

On a more serious note- I'm getting an attempt to patch followed a bit later by "the connection was idle for too long" and the launcher closes. Over and over. Presumably connection is off while they try to fix?
    • Options
      rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,108 Community Moderator
      xsi1e wrote: »
      Sure hope that they extend the events.

They've already said the events will be extended.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • Options
      This is how it starts. The creators of the technology retire, and those tasked with managing it don't fully understand how it works, and so it slowly fails. Today: Star Trek Online. Next year, hopefully not the power grid...

On a more serious note- I'm getting an attempt to patch followed a bit later by "the connection was idle for too long" and the launcher closes. Over and over.

I'm getting the same issue.
    • Options
      cunningstunt9001cunningstunt9001 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
      The ritual to appease a Machine Spirit hailing from the Dark Age of Technology is a long and complex one.
    • Options
      theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,990 Arc User
      edited April 2023
      I'm going to leave STO be until it's fixed, find another game to play in the meantime or do something else.
      Not worth getting stressed over, it'll be fixed when it's fixed even though it might be an inconvenience.
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      This discussion has been closed.