test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

April 2023 Outage Discussion Thread

Comments

• eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    Was in for the second time today, a combined total of 50+ patches, game got hung on a loading screen and had to shut down, now I cant even get the launcher to launch, it just keeps getting better lol

• dispatcher988#5476 dispatcher988 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    eazzie wrote: »
    Was in for the second time today, a combined total of 50+ patches, game got hung on a loading screen and had to shut down, now I cant even get the launcher to launch, it just keeps getting better lol

And??? Did they take the launcher down?
  • razartrek1razartrek1 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited April 2023

Same here was loading into Red Alert and got jammed on loading screen with no movement or anything/patching into instance. Had to Alt F4 kill it now its stuck on "Cryptic Laucher Autoupdater" Tried connecting 10 times and counting. :(

"My life spans millennia. Legions have risen to test me… My ascendance is inevitable. A day, a year, a millennium—it matters not. I hold the patience of stone and the will of stars. Your striving is insignificant. Let your death be the same."
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    I freakin give up today - just bought a bunch of zen the other day too.
    You can extend the events - but unfortunately you can't extend my free time after it's passed.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• dispatcher988#5476 dispatcher988 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    razartrek1 wrote: »

Same here was loading into Red Alert and got jammed on loading screen with no movement or anything/patching into instance. Had to Alt F4 kill it now its stuck on "Cryptic Laucher Autoupdater" Tried connectiong 10 times and counting. :(

Lets hope they took it down to deploy another "fix" lol
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    Good morning! Sorry I'm late to the party, folks, but I was up late dealing with all of this as well. And a girl has gotta get her rest sometime. 🤷‍♀️ As y'all can see from Kael's post, yes, the devs are deploying a fix this morning via an alternate method to get this out faster, since last night's fix has been rolling out too slowly. As for calls of compensation, the Events are being extended due to this downtime. There has been no other word of anything else. With regards to the false sunsetting blog, yes, it was a fake. And Cryptic knows who did it and they accepted responsibility and publicly apologized. There is a stickied thread in this very subforum for those who need an official statement on the matter. Meanwhile, we'll keep you informed as new information comes. We know that this is frustrating for many of you, but please, continue to be patient and civil. Thank you!
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User

Had something similar happen to me just now. After God knows how many patch downloads and force verify I finally got to the loading screen. It started to load at a snail's pace and then I was bounced out with a error code. now the launcher won't start. I am not anxious to start this all over again for the same results.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Thank you BMR
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    This is NOT a good look for Cryptic, it's management or its various Dev teams. They appear to have a piece of software THEY originally created but that nobody currently at the company understands.

(And if you consider this a Flame - yeah, after 2 days of "we're working on it" - in 20 years of MMOs, I've never seen a company chase its own tail like this.)

Even WAY back in the SoE EQ days when they had servers down for days because the tech was very new - they KNEW the issues, and had a fix, and yes the rollbacks were occasionally painful, but at least they knew how to fix their own systems and at least related the issues and gave regular progress updates.

Nailed it.

Any other game dev company with code base thats over a decade old would have re-hired or made new hires of coders and dev's who would have went through the old code and re-learned what the former staff had coded.

The only time this would not happen? When a game is in "maintenance mode" or partial "maintenance mode" waiting for new investment or waiting for the slow decline into closure.

Now, personally, since Cryptic was taken over about 2 years ago by a new company i am leaning towards the latter, new investment, new hires, new dev's who will go through the old codebase and relearn its tricks, or ultimately rip it out and slowly replace it with newer code which is on a more known codebase platform. STO is in partial maintenance mode. Its more than a decade old codebase which most of the team that created it have gone, and the new team dont know what half the interactions do.

However, they are still creating new content and this is the key, if it was a case of them re-releasing old content in new packages then yes, they are simply trying to cash in on the game while it's still living, byt the fact they are making new content means theres still future investment which will happen. With any luck, that future investment entails bringing on a new team who will re-learn the old codebase. Other MMO's thats getting on in years go through the same partial maintenance mode cycle, but those other MMO game companies havent done what Cryptic done...let practically all of the staff that knew the codebase of the game leave.

I speak from experience here, having worked at a couple of game companies in the past.
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • jonnyrocket#1627 jonnyrocket Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Was working good got kicked now I cant even get updater. up .error connection idol to long
  • arakim5arakim5 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    This is the point where you acknowledge you are now pushing the new patch out, and the downtime will be X.X hours.
  • antc43antc43 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    So after my 4th 8 gig download today the game finally launched without throwing up an error ... and then proceeded to crash before I got to the char select. Now the launcher won't even open at all, just says 'Trying to update the launcher.....'
  • tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    Yeah, "Trying to update the launcher, please be patient." Tried connecting 17 times.
  • dakotadahotnessdakotadahotness Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    (DOOM comments removed. - BMR)
  • lordosirislordosiris Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Im glad im not the only one with the same issue :dizzy:
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Let's not be posting DOOM posts. They're not allowed any more than DOOM threads are allowed.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    edited April 2023
    Folks, it is completely unnecessary to make separate threads on this issue. /merged threads /title change.
    GrWzQke.png
  • startrekaeorrostartrekaeorro Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    BMR, will we be getting guidance on what we need to do when they implement the new fix? The previous fix never gave us any guidance on what we needed to do, leaving most people doing the endless loop of patches with no idea if it was doing anything.
    “Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. ”― E. Rommelvn1d8jtiy2sg.jpg
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    Hamster is D E A D, Hamster dead

Seriously though, I tried to start the game, no luck getting to the actual launcher, just a white text box on upper leftgand side of my monitor reading attempt to connecvt to server failed.

I am assuming they brought it down to fix the launcher issue.

I am wondering if they will give us an extra day of the EVENT Campaigns for the yearly prize.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • maelphaedormaelphaedor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    And after getting in a playing a couple hours, crashed out entering a task force because of patch server and now won't even connect to the patch server at the launcher. With luck they are fixing it...
  • cisticolacisticola Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    leemwatson wrote: »
    husanakx wrote: »
    Game was fine for me last night. Same issue as everyone else now. I was wondering why the game was so dead last night.

They'll get it I'm sure. Stuff happens with online games. Its been a rocky week, fix it up Cryptic or we might think there is more to your internal joke network. lol Take care of business then go have some beers.

It wasn't Cryptic, it was someone in a fleet within the game. I thought it was kinda obvious from the post and tw@tter address.

It really isn't clear right now about the source of that "joke". While they are saying that it was someone else, I haven't seen that confirmed by any other source. It could be 100% accurate or it could be damage control. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: To clarify, I'm not saying it's true, just the source hasn't been confirmed*

I'll confirm it then, It was meant as an internal joke within a fleet, the fleet one of my toons is in, and before anyone says anything, no I had nothing to do with it.
  • dakotadahotnessdakotadahotness Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    Censoring the masses isn't a good look
    BMR, will we be getting guidance on what we need to do when they implement the new fix? The previous fix never gave us any guidance on what we needed to do, leaving most people doing the endless loop of patches with no idea if it was doing anything.

If any special actions need to be taken by the player in order to get into the game, guidance should be provided, otherwise, I would say the patch should fix the issue. Personally, I'm waiting for final resolution before I attempt any patching. No sense in burning up data.
    GrWzQke.png
  • offdutee#5693 offdutee Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Got up this morning hoping to finally be able to log in to the game. Another patch started, by 10% it was at a Gig downloaded. Then it happened, I got an error message saying that the connection to the patch server had timed out. As of 1255 hrs. I have not been able to even launch the launcher. I keep getting the "timed out" error message. I realize the devs are trying to keep providing new content, but this is getting ridiculous. They keep breaking more and more of the game with each new patch that is supposed to fix things that they broke, so the end result is that the new content and features are one step forward and two steps back. Have any of the managerial staff ever heard of quality control?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    stark2k wrote: »
    I am wondering if they will give us an extra day of the EVENT Campaigns for the yearly prize.

I would assume that if the participating event is extended, then the Event Campaign will still register progress from those extended days as it is from a participating event.

Crying DOOOOOOM and throwing accusations with a malicious tone is not allowed per forum rules.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • getsgreasedgetsgreased Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    Never mind.
  • thaedaristhaedaris Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Hi! Thank you for the update!
  • thejigsaw#6577 thejigsaw Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Honestly, I can't wait to get back in to vend for the last two ships I really "need" on the game, but it is good to know the events are extended a day. I started having login issues last night, and hope things are fixed by later on. Some people mentioned compensation and as someone who did work in management, I can say it would go a long way if people got a free T-6 coupon or something along the lines, since it appears people were really expecting it this Anniversary. Overall it is a really fun game and I look forward to playing, but when a multi-day issue pops up its usually best to give a freebie.

Violating forum rules isn't a good look either.
    GrWzQke.png
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    I was able to login again after previously being unable to for more than 24hours.
    Done dailies and hopefully later this evening when all the mandatory RL stuff is done some game time can be allocated.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
This discussion has been closed.