test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why are the forums suddenly white?

Comments

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,265 Arc User
    Just to add to what 99% of the people have said this all white layout is "not good", I got tendency to get migraines from watching things that are too bright and this could trigger that and it's generally just hard to read and use so even if reverting to the old version isn't an option a darker background would be preferred.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Well, we know whoever was responsible for this disaster obviously isn't a Reman - they never would've let this blinding layout get released.
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,026 Community Moderator

intentional? speaks volumes of how well someone doesnt know the community nor how to offer options that most pages do now...such as, lets call it "dark mode."

impress upon them they didnt seek out feedback prior and that also should/could have been done. why would they think going from black to white would be impressive?

anyway, lets hope they fix this soon. this is horrid...and thats saying it nicely.

Yea... You, Me, the other mods, even Kael are feeling like Slamek right now.

"Its too bright in here!"

I blame the people behind the forum software for slapping us with this... spotlight in our faces.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,265 Arc User
    Well, we know whoever was responsible for this disaster obviously isn't a Reman - they never would've let this blinding layout get released.

I think they're an Aenar as I suspect anyone with capability for vision wouldn't have OKed this.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    You guys all stay safe and enjoy the game.. I'm outta here until they enable a Dark Mode..

I'll have none of this super bright light in my face.. but I honestly can't believe they will leave it like this permanently.

Seriously, this is awful. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    I have trouble with the idea it was done intentionally. Not because of the "Oh, god, white!" part. But because of how all those quick links/etc at the bottom of the page take up such a huge amount of wasted space. It's like all the page formatting got nuked or some kind of html error, not an actual "design".

edit: ah, I see. If you go to the forums via that "New Website", those links are along the side of the page, and the formatting is totally different.
    Still awful, just in a different way. (no borders, no contrast, everything still a vast field of white. Just much more cluttered & busy.)
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User

Your own post is a good example. That yellow text of the first line, against the white background, is just impossible to read.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Here's something interesting, while the dark mode chrome extension I use (Dark Reader if anyone is curious) doesn't work on the old site, it DOES work when I go to the forums through the new website Kael posted a link to. So that's a work around for people who hate white backgrounds.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    OMG, Mark! You can't just ask forums why they're white!

:D
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User
    Well I guess it was by design then. I installed a dark chrome extension, all good.
    Cryptic... I'm pretty sure Vanilla easily supports a theme option. Perhaps a simple dark/light mode button on the header would be in order.
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    A quick question. Is there a way to change the background color in the new forums as a user? Perhaps I might be missing a small icon but I looked and could not come up with one. Not a biggie since I like the update but the brightness does a number to the eyes and was hoping there is a way to tweak it.

Thanks for any tips!
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    The only way I know of currently is to install a dark mode extension in your browser, and then access the forum through the new website http://www.playstartrekonline.com/

For some reason dark mode extensions don't work on the old forum link, I guess maybe because that version used an image as the background instead of a block of color?
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    So, quick update here. This was done...intentionally. Not by me, obviously. I've impressed upon the folks responsible that this particular color layout is actively painful for many of us, and they said they are looking into a color change. I'll keep ya'll updated and keep bugging them best I can.

So much for Gearbox leaving Cryptic alone. Wow - they aren't even allowed to decide stylesheet changes on their own forums any longer...
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Here's something interesting, while the dark mode chrome extension I use (Dark Reader if anyone is curious) doesn't work on the old site, it DOES work when I go to the forums through the new website Kael posted a link to. So that's a work around for people who hate white backgrounds.

Thank you, this is worth a lot! My old extension (Vanilla forum enhance) is naturally done now. But dark reader helps a lot, plus I still have the redirect script blocked so I use the forum.arcgames.com URL which makes this a weird, minimalistic but thanks to dark reader usable experience.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,779 Arc User

Also definitely not a Terran, neither species would be able to handle a normally lit room, maybe Q (specifically John de Lancie's Q) is to blame for this, it's like that white room from the Tapestry episode.
  • Options
    Your own post is a good example. That yellow text of the first line, against the white background, is just impossible to read.

Yea... I can't use my mod font color to let people know I'm speaking as a mod because it wouldn't show up on this. Cyan on White is no bueno.

Kael's talking with the guys behind the forums about the color. We'll keep you guys updated as best we can.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Yea... I can't use my mod font color to let people know I'm speaking as a mod because it wouldn't show up on this. Cyan on White is no bueno.

Kael's talking with the guys behind the forums about the color. We'll keep you guys updated as best we can.

There is a lot of talk about the colour but do we know anything about all the missing pages? Like how do we copy our characters to tribble? Where is the tribble link, wiki link, and all the other now missing pages? Do you know if anyone is looking into that?
  • Options
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »

There is a lot of talk about the colour but do we know anything about all the missing pages? Like how do we copy our characters to tribble? Where is the tribble link, wiki link, and all the other now missing pages? Do you know if anyone is looking into that?

Tribble was brought down a week or two ago because people had found a way to get into the new tutorial and it wasn't complete yet, who knows when they'll bring it back up.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    keppoch1keppoch1 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    > @ambassadorkael#6946 said:
    > I have zero idea how this occurred, and I hate it. We'll get it fixed.

I like it. The old version was hard to read on my phone. I could not see the whole discussion title or comments unless I tilted my phone.

This new version not only is easier to read but fits on my phone perfectly.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2022
    husanakx wrote: »
    You guys may have accidently edited your main stylesheet. lol
    style.min.css; major.min.css; style.min.css
    border-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.3);

I'm going to assume its not supposed to be Full on 255 white.
    Just hit it with a text editor... 10s fix. ;)

Well it seems Neverwinter forums are also white, so I'd assume Champions is as well, as is even PWI. So what ever happened effected the main Arc site on a global scale.

@ambassadorkael#6946
    Only suggestion is the News Pages for STO & Neverwinter, Champions, PWI, etc... the stylesheets for all NEWS pages are still using their more standard colors like forums used to be; so maybe if someone used those stylesheets to see old colors for each of the sub-sites, it at least get your colors right.

euNouLk.png
    Some of the subsites aren't white anymore, at least that's a step forward; though a few still are.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2022
    husanakx wrote: »
    You guys may have accidently edited your main stylesheet. lol
    style.min.css; major.min.css; style.min.css
    border-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.3);

I'm going to assume its not supposed to be Full on 255 white.
    Just hit it with a text editor... 10s fix. ;)

Though honestly, I'm surprised they just don't RESTORE from backup; not everything, just the style sheets that had the old settings when it looked a lot better. Though each forum area, likely has it's own stylesheets. So even a back from the 9th or 8th would need to restore them all, possibly even the master for the sub categories too.

For example:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/arc/#/discussion/1195098

Still shows as white.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Well, it's not white anymore.

But even on the new forum page (with the formatting somewhat correct), it's an unreadable mess. It's not just me, right? I think this might be the worst forum design & layout I've ever seen. WTF
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Well, it's not white anymore.

But even on the new forum page (with the formatting somewhat correct), it's an unreadable mess. It's not just me, right? I think this might be the worst forum design & layout I've ever seen. WTF

Not just you.. it's bad.

But yeah.. the darker theme is a great first step.. that white was just eye searingly painful. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    The forums are currently looking terrible for me. There's not enough lines dividing things, and the box that I'm currently typing in isn't a "box" at all, just one more part of the grey background that happens to have "Leave a Comment" floating above it.

Also, there's two versions, the https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline and the https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline I can only start a new topic in one of them.
  • Options
    Yea... its a start, but there is still a LOT that needs to be done.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,474 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    I am glad it is not blindingly white anymore but I still prefer the Arc Forums the way they used to be. Glad it is in dark mode now. Please revert it back to pre-Gearbox. While the forums did not work very well on phones, at least the presentation was not all over the place like this current rendition of these forums is. It is hard to see if something is bookmarked since it is white on dark. When something is bookmarked, the white becomes dark and it is difficult to see what is bookmarked and what is not. Next time do a poll before you do this again. Thanks.
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
This discussion has been closed.