test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

2 STO devs are listed in the credits for Picard Season 2

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    The Constellation would need a normal T6 first to meet the second criteria though,

Good news! A T6 is not part of the requirements per your earlier post:
    The criteria the devs have given are:

1) Hero ship or a ship that "carried" an episode/movie
    2) Has at least two existing in-game variants before the Legendary is released so that cosmetics, consoles, and traits can be bundled

See, no mention of a T6, so that's great.

And I know you are not one of those incredibly lame people that move the goalposts, so your original requirements are met :p

They aren't MY requirements, they are the devs.

Sorry, let me rephrase that: the requirements you originally stated (which did not mention T6).

Not "yours", but the ones you stated. There, all better now :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    Correlation does not imply causation - just because every legendary so far has had a prior T6 version, doesn't mean that's a requirement for making one. The devs had been running on fumes as far as unreleased T6 canon designs are concerned when they released the first legendary.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    The Constellation shares skins with the Cheyenne, does it not? So there are enough variants out there. Plus as “Picard’s Ship” there are already plenty of goodies to bundle in with it. Those Picard season 1 uniforms that were given out for an anniversary event and not seen since for example.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    Without posting any spoilers..

The Season 2 Premiere of Picard has an appearance by a Gagarin Class from STO as well as the Ross Class. Without saying anything spoilerish, they are part of 'The Armada' if you want to look for them.

So now we have a STO specific design appearing in TV.. that's pretty cool.
    Post edited by seaofsorrows on
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    dragonseye1138dragonseye1138 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited March 2022

The Season 2 Premiere of Picard has an appearance by a Gagarin Class from STO as well as the Ross Class. Without saying anything spoilerish, they are part of 'The Armada' if you want to look for them.

There's also a rather prominently displayed Sutherland-class. That deflector is unmistakable. Perhaps it's just a nod to the game, but it may also mean that some elements of STO are official canon now.
    Q is a Magical Girl.
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    Congratz to them both, but dubbing having four ships from STO in background shots as the "biggest news in STO history" is excessive and not deserving of all the hype our estemeed CM tried to create for it.

This is just probably the result of all the criticism about the copy-pasted armada of season 1, and since they technically own everything in STO, they could use these designs without a problem while also "freeing" some time for some of their own staff to do other things for the show.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

There's also a rather prominently displayed Sutherland-class. That deflector is unmistakable. Perhaps it's just a nod to the game, but it may also mean that some elements of STO are official canon now.

The Reliant is there as well, but more difficult to make out because it's small and further away. Kael and Thomas did a stream about it late last night, and Thomas explained that after the fan dislike of the copy-paste fleet production designer Dave Blass wanted to flesh the fleet out more in season 2, and someone mentioned STO to him which led to him contacting Thomas. And apparently since the ships aren't shown up-close they didn't need to be upscaled or anything, they just used the in-game models that Thomas had built.

Oh and apparently some of the old Canon ships used STO models as well, while other models were obtained from Eaglemoss.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    Here's the YouTube upload of last night's stream:

https://youtu.be/H85XGOTHx0I
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    Courtesy of Reddit; they labeled some of the ships seen in the Twitter teaser.

Spoiler'd for space, rather than for spoilers, since the original image is floating about on the internet already.
    qZaL9kD.png
  • Options
    The 'Excelsior' class is far more likely to be the 24th-century variant seen at the end of LD S2 - the Obena class. Unless it's one of the remaining Excelsiors has left...why it has a green deflector dish though, I have no idea.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    Yeah... I'm happy for the STO crew, but "biggest news in STO history" was, IMO, not the right way to hype this. Cool, a few ships are now canon--let's use this as an excuse to have yet another sale, of stuff people likely already have or still can't afford anyway!

I was kinda hoping the "biggest news in STO history" would mean something in, y'know, STO itself.

If they'd just been upfront with what was going on, I'd honestly just be happy for the STO art guys. Being teased like this does not amuse me at all.
  • Options
    dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    Yeah... I'm happy for the STO crew, but "biggest news in STO history" was, IMO, not the right way to hype this. Cool, a few ships are now canon--let's use this as an excuse to have yet another sale, of stuff people likely already have or still can't afford anyway!

I was kinda hoping the "biggest news in STO history" would mean something in, y'know, STO itself.

If they'd just been upfront with what was going on, I'd honestly just be happy for the STO art guys. Being teased like this does not amuse me at all.

Pretty much this.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    These four ships will likely be part of future Star Trek guides and magazines, they will be discussed on youtube channels and get massive exposure far beyond the STO player community. It's a big achievement and they very much deserve it. The high quality of ship and environmental art is the reason why I'm still playing this game after so many years. Congratulations Thomas and team!

That being said, what were they thinking hyping this as "the biggest news in STO history"? It's completely inconsequential for STO as a game. And obviously most people were expecting actual game content, a new expansion, storyline, voice actor, some even the annoucement of STO2. Can anyone blame them for being disappointed? It's definitely not how you should do things like this...
  • Options
    szim wrote: »
    These four ships will likely be part of future Star Trek guides and magazines, they will be discussed on youtube channels and get massive exposure far beyond the STO player community. It's a big achievement and they very much deserve it. The high quality of ship and environmental art is the reason why I'm still playing this game after so many years. Congratulations Thomas and team!

That being said, what were they thinking hyping this as "the biggest news in STO history"? It's completely inconsequential for STO as a game. And obviously most people were expecting actual game content, a new expansion, storyline, voice actor, some even the annoucement of STO2. Can anyone blame them for being disappointed? It's definitely not how you should do things like this...

Bingo. This is great news for the art guys--and utterly meaningless to the players. Especially to the--I suspect not exactly small proportion of--players who don't even watch PIC. Hyping this when the only affect on the game is yet another sale IMO shows Cryptic's PR to be very out of touch.
  • Options
    The 'Excelsior' class is far more likely to be the 24th-century variant seen at the end of LD S2 - the Obena class. Unless it's one of the remaining Excelsiors has left...why it has a green deflector dish though, I have no idea.​​

If you look closely it has the L shaped nacelle pylons of the Excelsior class rather than the Sovereign style pylons that the Obena has, and the nacelles look like Excelsior Refit nacelles with red bussards (a look you can get in-game by using the Intrepid hull material). I suspect this is the
    USS Excelsior
    since it gets mentioned a couple times in dialogue.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,265 Arc User

The green deflector could be a trick of light, with the front the ship being washed with light from the Borg(?) ships from the foreground, after all the normal color for the Excelsior deflector is a pale blue so a bright green light could overpower the natural color of the deflector.
  • Options
    I SERIOUSLY doubt the USS Excelsior is still around on the cusp of the 25th century...the class may be a workhorse, but I doubt the prototype itself would still be around 120 years later...not outside of a Museum, anyway.​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    I SERIOUSLY doubt the USS Excelsior is still around on the cusp of the 25th century...the class may be a workhorse, but I doubt the prototype itself would still be around 120 years later...not outside of a Museum, anyway.​​

It might just be a 24th century refit of the excelsior there are some other shots that to me look different then the USS excelsior.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,265 Arc User

Name reuse is nothing new for Starfleet even if the registry changes after all the TOS Enterprise wasn't NX-01-A, but NCC-1701.

So this ship could be the USS Excelsior, just not the NX/NCC-2000 but a rather a later ship with the same name as the name sake of the class, at the angle from the pic I can't see the name or registry of the ship (or if there even is one), but considering Excelsior's were used all the way to the end of the Dominion war and it was also implied that not all those were relics from the 23rd century but rather some were fairly recently built ships it shouldn't be odd that there might be a name or 2 that were reused especially from more prominent ships like the class-namesake.
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    There was also a Nomad/Emissary class ship too, the Avalon I think it was called.

It does call a bit of a timeline thing into question if the Gagarin class was meant to be made in 2410 after they got the Yard 39 ships but i guess fluff in the blogs can easily be retconned.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    Well, I'll be damned and take what I said back.

Even if it was over-hyped, as expected, it's still very nice to see what TvTropes call Canon Immigrants in a strictly canon series.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    Well, I'll be damned and take what I said back.

Even if it was over-hyped, as expected, it's still very nice to see what TvTropes call Canon Immigrants in a strictly canon series.

That it is, but it wasn't nice of Cryptic to act like it meant something for the actual game. Not as bad as what Bioware's been up to lately, but still not nice.
  • Options
    koihimenakamurakoihimenakamura Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    [ . . . ]

I'm very happy for the art team. Having their art be on a flagship streaming show is a feather in their cap.

I don't get how this is the biggest news in STO, and worthy only of a sale.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,513 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    The Excelsior type does look more like the standard TNG version rather than the Obena class, plus while it is hard to tell what exactly the range is supposed to be the window scale makes it look more like a traditional Excelsior size-wise as well.

The overall effect of the shot is lightyears better than the rubber-stamp fleet Riker had back in the first season, and the cooperation could be a very good thing for both the show and the game in the long run, and that is the important part.
  • Options
    faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    To add to this, above and beyond those 4 ships Thomas and Hector got to work with John Eaves and Doug Drexxler on the new Stargazer design. Just from what we can see of it we can pick up some of the STO aesthetic design cues. Which is amazing. Although not so surprising when you think about it. STO is perhaps the longest continuously running Star Trek property. It’s not like the one and done single player games. And somebody in production over at Paramount finally figured out “hey these guys have a ton of new ship designs, in a format we can use!” They’ve found the digital equivalent of wandering through the model makers offices looking for all the little oddball kit bash models they used to do in their spare time, and using them for the big battle scenes.
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    i jokingly said to my partner "THATS MY SUTHERLAND CLASS, NO ONE CAN CLAIM OTHERWISE" :D
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    For the as the thing we play, it's a minor thing, but for the game and its place in the history of the Star Trek franchise, this is pretty significant. Computer game content barely stands above fan content in terms of canonicity, to have just a ship from a game being canonized is a serious accomplishment. And it's also quite significant for Star Trek, because that's one of the few times that beta canon fed back into the alpha canon.
    The only other example we had of that before was the Luna, which was originally just artwork made for Star Trek novels. And now it didn't just appear in lower decks (which as animated comedic show kinda feels like it can get away with more than the typical show), but also in Picard.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    Kael commented on the pushback about his silly “it may be the biggest news ever (sic)” when it clearly was not:

Still it is really cool. I can’t wait to see the episode. But the developers really dropped the ball. They didn’t need a big content drop just anything like another t6 coupon get the ship from yesterday’s Picard would have made all that “hype” seem more worth it.

The big new is that they are coasting on publicity from other people’s work.
This discussion has been closed.