test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

2 STO devs are listed in the credits for Picard Season 2

13»

Comments

• solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »
    Kael commented on the pushback about his silly “it may be the biggest news ever (sic)” when it clearly was not:

Still it is really cool. I can’t wait to see the episode. But the developers really dropped the ball. They didn’t need a big content drop just anything like another t6 coupon get the ship from yesterday’s Picard would have made all that “hype” seem more worth it.

The big new is that they are coasting on publicity from other people’s work.

I for one agree with Kael, this IS the biggest news ever for STO. Voice actors and new ships are always great, but having STO original designs be canonized and make the jump to live action TV is on a while new level entirely. It validates everything the devs have done in a way that almost nothing else ever could, in fact the only thing that could ever top this would be an episode or even full TV series set in the STO time period and featuring characters and stories taken directly from the game.

It may not be something that can actually be interacted with in the game, but this was still an absolutely monumental bit of news for both the game and the developers.

Then they should've been clearer about it, instead of inadvertently building the wrong kind of hype--which they must've known they were doing, if they were paying any attention at all to the responses to their countdown tweets. This is entirely on Cryptic.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    It may not be something that can actually be interacted with in the game,

I think that's kind of the entire point. Something that doesn't actually affect the game(unless there is some massive influx of new players, which is doubtful) can't reasonably be it's 'biggest news ever'.

That said, I would certainly agree it's the 'biggest news ever' for the 2 devs in question. This is no doubt extremely cool for them.

So biggest news ever for Thomas/Hector? Absolutely.

Biggest news ever for STO? No.

Still something "cool" for STO? Sure.

Those 3 things things can all be true without contradicting each other.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Kael commented on the pushback about his silly “it may be the biggest news ever (sic)” when it clearly was not:

Still it is really cool. I can’t wait to see the episode. But the developers really dropped the ball. They didn’t need a big content drop just anything like another t6 coupon get the ship from yesterday’s Picard would have made all that “hype” seem more worth it.

I for one agree with Kael, this IS the biggest news ever for STO. Voice actors and new ships are always great, but having STO original designs be canonized and make the jump to live action TV is on a while new level entirely. It validates everything the devs have done in a way that almost nothing else ever could, in fact the only thing that could ever top this would be an episode or even full TV series set in the STO time period and featuring characters and stories taken directly from the game.

It may not be something that can actually be interacted with in the game, but this was still an absolutely monumental bit of news for both the game and the developers.

Then they should've been clearer about it, instead of inadvertently building the wrong kind of hype--which they must've known they were doing, if they were paying any attention at all to the responses to their countdown tweets. This is entirely on Cryptic.

I disagree that it was the wrong kind of hype considering how blatantly obvious the tease was after just two days. You had:

1) a countdown that ended at the Picard season premiere
    2) intentional use of a word people often confuse with canon
    3) hidden images of the canonized ships in four of the teases
    4) Thomas and Hector listed as being involved with Picard season 2

Anyone who thought for even a second that it could be anything else either wasn't paying attention, or wasn't thinking logically. They've had big name VOs, new ships, new missions, and expansions before so it couldn't be any of that, and things like moving to a new engine simply aren't feasible, so I can't even think of anything else anyone COULD realistically expect to fit the bill for "biggest news ever in the history of STO".
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited March 2022
    Something that doesn't actually affect the game can't reasonably be it's 'biggest news ever'.

I could not possibly disagree more with this statement, for reasons that I've already explained.
    eaY7Xxu.png

I disagree that it was the wrong kind of hype considering how blatantly obvious the tease was after just two days. You had:

Anyone who thought for even a second that it could be anything else either wasn't paying attention, or wasn't thinking logically. They've had big name VOs, new ships, new missions, and expansions before so it couldn't be any of that, and things like moving to a new engine simply aren't feasible, so I can't even think of anything else anyone COULD realistically expect to fit the bill for "biggest news ever in the history of STO".

...Uh-huh. That may be how you saw it, but it's a bit much to say that anyone who thought it could be something else "wasn't paying attention or wasn't thinking logically". Especially since your view that this counts as "big news for STO itself" is not exactly universally held. If you'd paid attention to the tweets responding to the countdown, you'd have seen considerable speculation that the "big news" was about something STO would be doing that was related to PIC. For example, the widespread theory that we'd gotten Patrick Stewart as the Terran Emperor. Which, considering he's done VO work for Trek games in the past, would not be out of the question but would arguably be the "biggest news in STO history".

This is big news for the art guys. It is not big news for STO players, especially not STO players who don't watch the new Trek shows.
    If you'd paid attention to the tweets responding to the countdown, you'd have seen considerable speculation that the "big news" was about something STO would be doing that was related to PIC.
    I saw the speculation, and I simply could not understand how so many people were looking at the facts and essentially getting 2+2=1.
    For example, the widespread theory that we'd gotten Patrick Stewart as the Terran Emperor.
    That could still happen, but it wouldn't be announced until the content patch that reveals him which is still a few months away at the earliest. And since we've already had one classic captain that would NOT be the biggest news in the history of the game anyway, it would simply be on par with Kate Mulgrew (imo Bakula, Shatner, and Brooks would all be at that same level as well if they were to ever appear).
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • malaghaasmalaghaas Member Posts: 2 Arc User

This, so very much. Honestly I don't get people sometimes. It could honestly lead to bigger things for STO with further collaborations that benefit both parties. Making STO more than a little beta canon, side project money-maker.
    malaghaas wrote: »

This, so very much. Honestly I don't get people sometimes. It could honestly lead to bigger things for STO with further collaborations that benefit both parties. Making STO more than a little beta canon, side project money-maker.

And I don't get those defending Kael. "Could" lead to bigger things. As things stand? It's a nifty little detail. Not "biggest news in STO history". That was a titanic overstatement, and no one should be surprised that a lot of us expected something more relevant.
    edited March 2022
    Something that doesn't actually affect the game can't reasonably be it's 'biggest news ever'.

I could not possibly disagree more with this statement, for reasons that I've already explained.

Um, yeah. I know.

And "I could not possibly disagree more with your statements, for the reasons that I've already explained" too.

See what a silly reply that is? :p
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    It would be slightly ironic and humorous if some of that Synergy means more in-game story tie-ins, like they did with Discovery, considering the Devs mentioned there weren't plans for more tie in so soon.

That being said, I suspect it'd be synergy in the most common forms; new lockbox/lobi/Promo/Event ships and equipment for STO, and more newly canonized ships and maybe even equipment for Trek. On a longshot, maybe even cribbing some STO original story and canonizing it.

On the subject of the latter, if they can get the Odyssey-class canonized at the very least, that would really make my day as real big news, considering that one was the one born of a "Next Enterprise" design competition jointly held with CBS (insofar as that CBS owns the rights and can implement it or not into Alpha canon). Next would be canonizing the Intel ships as modern S31/Klingon Intelligence/Zhat Vash Agent ships, or at least, the Fed versions, considering the design language is coincidentally similar to the Disco-era S31 ships.
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    I was kinda hoping the "biggest news in STO history" would mean something in, y'know, STO itself.

I confess to feeling similarly. Oh, I'm glad to see some canonization here, but... the hype left us hanging. (Although I DID manage to get my hands on the Inquiry from the Lobi store yesterday. Just for giggles.)
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
    edited March 2022
    joshmaul wrote: »
    I was kinda hoping the "biggest news in STO history" would mean something in, y'know, STO itself.

I confess to feeling similarly. Oh, I'm glad to see some canonization here, but... the hype left us hanging. (Although I DID manage to get my hands on the Inquiry from the Lobi store yesterday. Just for giggles.)

It's hard to explain exactly, but we seem to be in this "weird" situation where people are defending something that doesn't really make sense.

I mean, let's say "randomSTOplayer" is watching Picard S2E1 and sees a ship from STO. What is the normal/expected reaction? Probably something like:

"Oh wow, that's a ship from STO! That's really cool!"

I mean, that sounds completely normal and reasonable. Now here is a much less "normal/reasonable" reaction:

"ZOMG THIS IS THE BIGGEST NEWS IN STO HISTORY"

Let's just be honest here: Kael is the community manager. It's literally his job to overhype everything and make it sounds like as big a deal as possible. The language he used was just him doing his job.

Normal/reasonable people should be able to understand that, and not try to actually defend the wording as being literally true. Unfortunately, this seems to have become an "us vs them" situation; like you either have to be a "White Knights" or a "Hater".

There should be room for reasonable people to say "no it's not literally the biggest news in STO history, but I get it's Kae's job to act like it is, and it's still really cool".

But hey, it's the internet. It is what it is :p
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited March 2022

Um...Given the premiere of Picard Season 2 - for all we know it could have been that they got Patrick Stewart to voice something for the game; and for MY MONEY getting William Shatner (Will never happen and not just because they can't afford him - one of STO's previous CMs - Branflakes - as well as Al Rivera, saw to that); OR Patrick Stewart to do VO for STO WOULD be bigger for STO then the game getting 4 of it's designs 'canonized' and some other digital assets used in the show.

Yes, it IS a big deal for the STO Developers involved (and Thomas and Hector and their modelling teams deserve all the props they are getting for that to be sure) and yes, it is a big deal for for the game from a marketing perspective; but honestly, for the Community Manager to claim it's the Biggest/Best thing to happen to STO THE GAME - sorry, no - it honestly is not; but it just shows how out of touch Kael is with the REASON he has a job with Cryptic. (Oh, and BTW his blog proofreading skills failed again as it wasn't: The 2399 Picard Uniform is returning to the Zen Store; it was the 2399 regular/non-Admiral uniform (which Picard himself has never worn on the new series) that returned to the Zen store.)

So yeah, nice to see Kael continue to do his usual mediocre job as Community Manager of STO. (And yes, I know of his issues, so at this point, the blame for that aspect continues to lie with Cryptic Upper Management in that since they know of his particular issues, they should get him some assistance to make sure their marketing copy is accurate; OR like many aspects of STO given the state of some aspects of this game - they really don't care about how their marketing comes across in public.)
    Post edited by crypticarmsman on
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,098 Arc User
    After checking the news page and logging into the game today it appears that nothing has changed. There is yet another ship sale but the opportunity to spend money on the game is around 24/7/365 so hopefully the "biggest news ever" has just been delayed.

Am hoping for a "once every 5-10 years" type of expansion and will be keeping my fingers crossed.

After hearing the game is having it's "best years ever" so many times the past while it'll be great to see what new and exciting things these record profits have enabled.

Congrats to the two devs on their accomplishments in a TV show.
    Y'know, I honestly feel sorry for the art guys. This is an incredible achievement for them, no question about it, fully worth celebrating--but because Kael and whoever gives him marching orders decided to be, well, cryptic about it, it's tarnished by the irritation from let-down players.

That irritation, IMO--in case that wasn't obvious by now...--is fully justified, but it's an absolute crime it has to impact what should be an unalloyed celebration of their accomplishment. But that's all on Cryptic and their mismanaged PR.
This discussion has been closed.