test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A period base mission

robert#4620 robert Member Posts: 129 Arc User
Just a thought, it would be interesting if our captains did a few missions in where we go back in time. Maybe like in the wild west or maybe modern time?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    That is why the foundry was founded and now it's gone because of the game mechanics it took to keep it running
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    That is why the foundry was founded and now it's gone because of the game mechanics it took to keep it running

Honestly it would have been very hard to impossible to make missions outside of the main time frames of the Trek series in the Foundry as you could use only in-game assets.

Earliest mission I tried to make in the Foundry timeline wise was set in the 2250s (during season 1 of DSC to be exact).

But a setting like the wild west would be very hard to replicate as Foundry had no gunpowder weapons and limited costume options.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    The devs could sort of do a western using assets from Wastelands as far as the buildings go, just set them on patchy (or full) grass instead of nothing but sand, but yeah, it would look strange with no western weapons of clothing.

On the other hand, they do have a reasonable amount of TOS stuff so they could do more time travel things to that era and get more use out of those old assets, which would be a nice change of pace for the players.
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    I don’t know about a western—but maybe like “Spectre of the Gun,” reference or something. I do, however, really want a fedora.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    And yet people running around in period top hats and holding hand axes is apparently okay....

Sometimes, I wonder just how much Cryptic plays down how utterly ridiculous things in the game actually are - maybe someone needs to start taking screenshots and videos of all the 'IP-degrading' things in STO - along with all the visual vomit - and send them off to CBS.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    And yet people running around in period top hats and holding hand axes is apparently okay....

Sometimes, I wonder just how much Cryptic plays down how utterly ridiculous things in the game actually are - maybe someone needs to start taking screenshots and videos of all the 'IP-degrading' things in STO - along with all the visual vomit - and send them off to CBS.
    ​​

Of course it is ok and the "IP restrictions" thing is utter nonsense, especially for canon content.

maybe but sometimes IP holders have some really weird hang ups that make sense only to them, CBS is not alone on this IIRC Disney has odd rules that make no sense on the surface regarding how their IPs should be used and Games Workshop at least used to be infamous in regards to the level of control they wanted over their Licenses.
  • Options
    spiritborn wrote: »
    maybe but sometimes IP holders have some really weird hang ups that make sense only to them, CBS is not alone on this IIRC Disney has odd rules that make no sense on the surface regarding how their IPs should be used and Games Workshop at least used to be infamous in regards to the level of control they wanted over their Licenses.

CBS is not Disney. CBS saying no to characters walking around as Captain Proton yet being perfectly fine with walking around dressed as Abe Lincoln or in civilian clothes strains credibility.

No arguments there but that's the issue with CBS not thinking the implication on what they allow or don't allow, not my post.
  • Options
    robert#4620 robert Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    For some reason I want to see a "Flying Stagecoach" in this game. lol
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    The problem with Captain Proton and the like is the texture library. Sure, they could probably bash up something that looks like Captain Proton (or whatever) models for things, but they would be covered with the same textures that are used in other parts of the game (including being in color, not black-and-white) and that makes a lot of difference. And making textures takes a while (I know from experience from having a clothing store in Second Life for a few years).

Sure, if they had Nanite and Lumen from Unreal Engine 5 it might bring the cost in time and other resources to make the sets for those scenarios down to the point where it is not a problem, but with the current static manual build environment and texture library it would cost almost as much as making a brand new game.
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    Well, there is the TERRIFIC TOS Devidian episode. I'd adore an arc of similar and it's the reason I won't allow my TOS toon to travel to the 25th Century...I'm trying to level her with just four episodes, but I don't want to leave original ESD and those episodes!

And oh, but the fond memories of making that drink with a stemmed glass...
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    Because Captain Proton is something that, in universe, is a holodeck program, and thus, isn't something you will run into while exploring the galaxy.

Where did any of the various Trek crews run into Gorn dressed up like Abe Lincoln while exploring the galaxy?
    The specific style of it is wholly unique -- it doesn't mesh with any other content anywhere else in this game. Not even a little. There's no 'reuse' for it to be had outside of more Captain Proton.

None of it can be used to make a new TFO? It could never be used again to dress up an alien world that is technologically at a lower level than the Federation? There is some hard rule somewhere that says there can only ever be a singular Captain Proton mission or story arc?

I oh-so want to copy the Captain Proton threads I've made over the years with ideas for how they could just be so fun.

In fact, Tribble it...

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1262102/captain-proton-arc-update

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/comment/13520251

I would ADORE it. Adore, adore, A.D.O.R.E. because it would just be such fun and I'm sorry, but Disco has made Star Trek so miserable and dreary over the last few years, that the game's crying out for it.

And I know that if anyone replies to those threads, they'll get accused to waking the dead (something that I still disagree with, when so much effort was put into a thread that new people might want to add to) but I couldn't copy and past it all.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    As always, if this is the excuse Cryptic has used it is indeed a very, very poor one that does not hold water.
    Except its not, and is something every developer struggles with.

I remember in the official artbook for Skyrim they talked about how the throne of Whiterun was supposed to be this big crystal throne, that had the history of Skyrim carved into it. However, the asset was considered too unique to justify the cost of making, so they had to cut it and isntead just gave the Jarl an otherwise normal chair.
    Cryptic can very easily recoup the costs involved by selling themed costume pieces, ships, lock/promo box items and the like.
    They have actually specifically mentioned this wouldn't work. Due to the IP considerations they can't have people running around in Captain Proton gear and the like. Same reason swimsuits don't work off of Risa.

you know, you claim not to be, but you certainly ARE the cryptic apologist, so I'm dropping the BS flag.

post up the blog, video, whatever to back your claims on what Cryptic has said.
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    This falls into the same issue holodeck content is in I would guess.

Crpyitc has said in the past they would like to do holodeck content like Dixon Hill, Captain Proton, etc. but the assets needed for such content are so unique, and unable to be used elsewhere in the game, that it would basically require making a whole other game's worth of content for something that would have really limited use.

Trying to do a Wild west mission would likely have those same issues. Hence why our time traveling so far has stayed within the timeframe of ENT into Daniels era future.

Would be cool though.

yeah, that's why NeverWinter has(had) been forever since I logged into NW the B&W areas. it's an INSTANCE to say it would be recreating a whole game is absolute BS. in fact, when they program the backdrops, guess what? the framework and rough details are *gasp* in BLACK AND WHITE, on then do the eves like Tacofangs start coloring things in.
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    For some reason I want to see a "Flying Stagecoach" in this game. lol

Driven by a cowboy who talks like the Duke :D
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    While I don't watch every livestream, in my experience when I have watched the livestreams, the information they convey is accurate to the best of their knowledge. I think there were a couple mixups, but that was internal that usually got caught immediately and corrected. You know... the usual live TV mistake stuff that may be a piece of information one person has that the other doesn't and points out.

I suppose if they do have a youtube channel, I can run it by the other mods to put up a link or something in GNN for people to easily access the livestream archive.

As for the swimsuits... I can understand the limitations. Although there is a part or two that, at least last I saw, were available in off duty.
    Also... I will point out that swimsuits are actually usable on the fleet Colony as well as Risa.
    And frankly I don't want to see Gorn in speedos everywhere I go. I don't know WHAT it is about Gorn in speedos but... its just not right man! And I can see some possible legal issues with any Captain Proton gear and outfits as someone might have an issue with it due to Buck Rogers or some other old school Sci-Fi setting similar to how Captain Proton was supposed to emulate.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Watch their weekly livestreams. This has been mentioned multiple times over the years. I'm sure @rattler2 has heard them say it also. If you want to find it yourself go onto their YouTube channel and start watching their livestream archive on there. IIRC They made the comment again not to recently about why swimwear wasn't allowed outside of Risa.

yeah, no, that's not how it works. YOU are the one making the Bullcrap claims YOU have been challenged to verify your statements. put up, or shut up or be known as the shill-tool you are
    Spock.jpg

This discussion has been closed.