test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New promo ship = "Courage" class from DSC s3

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Point 1: And that is different from being knocked out how? The result was the same either way.
    Point 2: And yet... they turtled?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    It's different because 'knocked out' implies an active cause, not the effects of entropy.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    They didn't get knocked out, they just suffered from the same problem as any other piece of technology eventually suffers from, no matter how advanced - they started breaking down, and no one was coming by to fix them.

And the Federation still had more than enough resources - and access to those resources - to build a few clearing ships if they wanted to (I mean, they built all those ships they use to keep the distortion field up around HQ, plus all the ships they had for their patrol fleets, so they clearly still had access to production facilities for components, refinement facilities for alloys and shipyards to put them all together), even in their reduced state...and they had more reason than most to want to try and clear the network.​​

You know what would have been fantastic...after The Burn and all of Starfleets top of the range ships being blown apart, that all would be left is the ships in museums. Let them roll out the 1000-year old Reliants and Excelsiors...if they must, include the Tron deflectors and silly missing nacelles, but to repurpose the only things that they had left.

Why won't Disco accept, acknowledge and make use of what came before? It would allow the people who are affronted by it, to actually find someone to appreciate and even love.
  • Options
    It's different because 'knocked out' implies an active cause, not the effects of entropy.​​

The effects are the same. Doesn't matter what the cause was. Shot down or wore out, the systems were knocked out either way, meaning they were unusable. Please don't turn this into a "sentient vs sapient" argument.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Just thinking, if this ship can fly in two different directions based on mode, doesn't that sort of take the wind out of the sails on the Borg Cube flying 'explanations'?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    Just thinking, if this ship can fly in two different directions based on mode, doesn't that sort of take the wind out of the sails on the Borg Cube flying 'explanations'?

No it doesn't. This ship still has defined features that will identify "Front" and "Back". A cube... doesn't.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    Yea, also a Cube don't bank left or right as it turns, like 99.9% of other ships we see!
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Not to mention...where would you even get a nuclear battery small enough to fit in a car?​​

It was one of the reasons it was deemed non-viable, those cars had to be huge even by 1950s standards so building them became way too expensive.

Nuclear batteries that small are not hard to build, there was one used in experimental pacemakers that was about the size of a pack of regular cigarettes including all the shielding (RCA even made one small enough to go into a hearing aid). The problem is that nuclear batteries are very expensive compared to boiled-water reactors, and along with the possible dangers of them being ripped open in collisions posing a health hazard, just were not a viable idea.

And the best ones run on Promethium, of which there are only a few hundred grams known to exist at any given time on earth, so building batteries large enough for a car is much more of a problem than building one small enough.
    kayajay wrote: »
    They didn't get knocked out, they just suffered from the same problem as any other piece of technology eventually suffers from, no matter how advanced - they started breaking down, and no one was coming by to fix them.

And the Federation still had more than enough resources - and access to those resources - to build a few clearing ships if they wanted to (I mean, they built all those ships they use to keep the distortion field up around HQ, plus all the ships they had for their patrol fleets, so they clearly still had access to production facilities for components, refinement facilities for alloys and shipyards to put them all together), even in their reduced state...and they had more reason than most to want to try and clear the network.​​

You know what would have been fantastic...after The Burn and all of Starfleets top of the range ships being blown apart, that all would be left is the ships in museums. Let them roll out the 1000-year old Reliants and Excelsiors...if they must, include the Tron deflectors and silly missing nacelles, but to repurpose the only things that they had left.

Why won't Disco accept, acknowledge and make use of what came before? It would allow the people who are affronted by it, to actually find someone to appreciate and even love.

Probably because Moonves absolutely hated Star Trek and wanted to use the name (and fanbase) for a generic modern sci-fi show that was less objectionable to him but still able to coattail the Kelvin movies to tap into the action-movie fan revenue that Paramount stumbled onto with the two movies they had done up until then. Unfortunately, even after ousting Moonves the die was already cast for DSC and CBS is likely wary of tinkering too much with something that is already working well enough for them.
  • Options
    rjoy79rjoy79 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    I keep seeing the Courage-class flying and I feel that it's going in the wrong direction... Isn't the vertical diamond-shaped hull supposed to be at the front, with engineering protruding out from the middle?
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    rjoy79 wrote: »
    I keep seeing the Courage-class flying and I feel that it's going in the wrong direction... Isn't the vertical diamond-shaped hull supposed to be at the front, with engineering protruding out from the middle?
    The ship was seen flying in both directions in the TV show, so the ship can fly both directions in-game depending on what mode the player is in.

Probably a case of forgetting which way it was supposed to fly, the show is just riddled with errors :D
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    lianthelia wrote: »
    The ship was seen flying in both directions in the TV show, so the ship can fly both directions in-game depending on what mode the player is in.

Probably a case of forgetting which way it was supposed to fly, the show is just riddled with errors :D

There was some interesting commentary on this design on the ten forward stream. In a nutshell, CBS outsources the designs of these fillers ships to outside art studios and sometimes does not even know which end is the intended front or back unless the art studio explains it. The fact that the ship flew both ways on the show could be because:

A: that was the actual intent of the designers, or

B: CBS officially made the decision themselves after receiving the design, or

C: someone working on Discovery did not actually know and just made a best guess.

However, regardless of the behind the scenes details, what actually happens on screen is canon. So it is apparently canon that the ship flies in both directions, regardless of whether that was the RL intention or not.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Maybe ask for designs that have clearly defined fores and afts, then - and if the people you outsource to fail to deliver, send it back and tell them to do it over...and over and over and over again, until they get it right.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    Maybe ask for designs that have clearly defined fores and afts, then - and if the people you outsource to fail to deliver, send it back and tell them to do it over...and over and over and over again, until they get it right.​​

Hey, it's entirely possible they asked for unusual designs and got exactly what they asked for. It's also entirely possible they were told "we made this to fly both ways". We just don't know.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    lianthelia wrote: »

There was some interesting commentary on this design on the ten forward stream. In a nutshell, CBS outsources the designs of these fillers ships to outside art studios and sometimes does not even know which end is the intended front or back unless the art studio explains it. The fact that the ship flew both ways on the show could be because:

A: that was the actual intent of the designers, or

B: CBS officially made the decision themselves after receiving the design, or

C: someone working on Discovery did not actually know and just made a best guess.

However, regardless of the behind the scenes details, what actually happens on screen is canon. So it is apparently canon that the ship flies in both directions, regardless of whether that was the RL intention or not.

So they are taking random off the shelf third party designs now? That certainly explains a lot of why they look so bland and generic with no Star Trek feel to them at all. They probably are literally rejected Star Wars designs...
  • Options

I couldn't disagree with you more. It feels like a really traditional design and that back end works nicely. It's got all the hallmarks of a Federation ship and I know and want them and I'm absolutely loving flying it.

With Discovery mucking about with things and it being the only decent thing to come out of the JJ-Verse, it's refreshing to have it around.
  • Options
    kayajay wrote: »

I couldn't disagree with you more. It feels like a really traditional design and that back end works nicely. It's got all the hallmarks of a Federation ship and I know and want them and I'm absolutely loving flying it.

With Discovery mucking about with things and it being the only decent thing to come out of the JJ-Verse, it's refreshing to have it around.

Not sure where you are seeing the resemblance to anything Trek besides the smooth curves that make it look less industrial than the usual DSC design. The only ships it looks much like are from TAS if you mix the Ancient Pod ship and the negative universe ship together (and that isn't particularly close). It is still a very Star Wars looking design.

• Options
    doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    Seems to be a hit ship haven't seen it yet in game. Buddy of mine has seen it once... I guess it pays off to put out ships nobody really cares for...
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    EDIT: Seems the moderator doesn't like comparisons to a toilet. Too bad an an obvious (and honest) assessment isn't allowed any more.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    A couple of points of clarification please:

1: are you giving actual orders as a mod (as in "if you don't do this your post will be edited/you will be suspended/etc") or just making a personal request?

2: there is a difference between bashing something (aka "this sucks, it's terrible, etc") and saying the actual SHAPE of a ship reminds you of a RL item (be it a toilet or anything else a person may see in the shape). Which of those things("bashing" vs "this shape looks like X") are you asking (or ordering?) people not to do?
    1. I made a personal request earlier, and I've had to step up to mod level request because its getting out of hand.
    2. Yes there is a difference between saying you don't like it, and elaborating in extensive detail, even going so far as to show pictures as a comparison, in a way that basically comes across as derogatory.

IMO the constant comparisons and almost memeifying of it is starting to evolve into a smaller scale version of the Discovery Acronym issue, and how that was being used in a derogatory manner to attack the show. While I agree a bit that the design is pretty meh... I'm not going to go out of my way to drag it through the mud to the level its getting to. I don't want this ship to be used as a proxy to attack Discovery by people because Mods crack down on the more derogatory acronyms used by people. I'm trying to keep the peace here.

I agree with those who compared it to a toilet seat; not because of bashing, but because it simply looks that way. Has nothing to do with Discovery; the Dewan ships (that looked like toilet brushes), suffered from the same issue. It's about lack of quality control. Someone at Cryptic needs to do a sanity check before releasing those.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    A couple of points of clarification please:

1: are you giving actual orders as a mod (as in "if you don't do this your post will be edited/you will be suspended/etc") or just making a personal request?

2: there is a difference between bashing something (aka "this sucks, it's terrible, etc") and saying the actual SHAPE of a ship reminds you of a RL item (be it a toilet or anything else a person may see in the shape). Which of those things("bashing" vs "this shape looks like X") are you asking (or ordering?) people not to do?
    1. I made a personal request earlier, and I've had to step up to mod level request because its getting out of hand.
    2. Yes there is a difference between saying you don't like it, and elaborating in extensive detail, even going so far as to show pictures as a comparison, in a way that basically comes across as derogatory.

IMO the constant comparisons and almost memeifying of it is starting to evolve into a smaller scale version of the Discovery Acronym issue, and how that was being used in a derogatory manner to attack the show. While I agree a bit that the design is pretty meh... I'm not going to go out of my way to drag it through the mud to the level its getting to. I don't want this ship to be used as a proxy to attack Discovery by people because Mods crack down on the more derogatory acronyms used by people. I'm trying to keep the peace here.

I agree with those who compared it to a toilet seat; not because of bashing, but because it simply looks that way. Has nothing to do with Discovery; the Dewan ships (that looked like toilet brushes), suffered from the same issue. It's about lack of quality control. Someone at Cryptic needs to do a sanity check before releasing those.

My guess...they're out-sourcing the designs and either don't care, or don't proof them. You really need to run it past someone, who maybe doesn't even play STO and see what they think. Everyone I've spoken to says...Kidderminster.
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    I agree with those who compared it to a toilet seat; not because of bashing, but because it simply looks that way.

A very fancy "designer"-toilet-seat perhaps. I think that the Courage looks more like some overdesigned modern architecture personally, but I can't say anybody comparing it to a toilet is wrong either.

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    I agree with those who compared it to a toilet seat; not because of bashing, but because it simply looks that way.
    I've seen a lot of toilet designs in five decades on this planet, and I've never, ever seen a toilet that looks even vaguely like a Courage-class, unless you take one particular angle, ignore perspective, and squint. By that logic, a Constitution-class is nothing more than a pizza cutter, and a Vor'cha is a giant fork.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    jonsills wrote: »
    By that logic, a Constitution-class is nothing more than a pizza cutter, and a Vor'cha is a giant fork.

Yeah, you're actually right on. If someone said match a picture of those 3 ships with those 3 items(as in "which ship looks like which item?") a person could definitely do that. And the "pizza cutter" comparison/joke is pretty well known:

https://www.amazon.com/ThinkGeek-Star-Enterprise-Pizza-Cutter/dp/B004FQDWP0

The difference is a "pizza cutter" or a "fork" don't have the same negative connotation as a toilet, so some are taking that particular comparison a lot more...personally?...than when people compare other ships to other items.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    The difference is a "pizza cutter" or a "fork" don't have the same negative connotation as a toilet, so some are taking that particular comparison a lot more...personally?...than when people compare other ships to other items.

Ironically, most public toilets are way more sanitary than the average shopping-cart they keep touching with their hands, so people should show more respect :D
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of toilet designs in five decades on this planet, and I've never, ever seen a toilet that looks even vaguely like a Courage-class, unless you take one particular angle, ignore perspective, and squint. By that logic, a Constitution-class is nothing more than a pizza cutter, and a Vor'cha is a giant fork.

Well, I always thought it was much more like a bottle opener. I've got a Connie bottle opener.
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    I think the look of the Courage is like a soft serve ice cream cone. With the middle bit being a flake (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flake_(chocolate_bar)) stuck at a 90 degree angle
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Is... this thread about a ship, or about interpretations of design (even for icecream-cones now) and modern art?

If so I'd say it's a trapezoid with traces of pi
This discussion has been closed.