test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

📢 The Reddit/Twitter dev tracker thread 📢

Comments

• phoeniz1994phoeniz1994 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    I saw console versions of the game gave Caitians and Ferasan long hair finally, when are we PC Players going to get them? :)
    0he9rXF.png
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,166 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    trekhead wrote:

At the time that the pandemic hit, Cryptic still had a very centralized work culture. You just didn't work from home. (In 2012 I suffered a very bad leg injury and was hospitalized for a month and then spent two months having to learn how to walk again, and while I was lucid and functional, the company just kept me on leave and didn't set me up to work at home until the very end of my recovery.) Managers worried that if people were allowed to stay home, they'd just slack off and not finish their assigned tasks. In addition, the IT department still had to deal with security issues. Attempts at hacking our network are a constant threat, because crackers out there are always trying to get into any database that has credit card info or proprietary software. Thus our IT team was very leery of the possibility of man-in-the-middle attacks that could be carried out against someone working remotely, especially since not everyone is an expert in internet security—we have artists, HR personnel, writers, and so on who use computers routinely but aren't high-skill technical professionals who can judge how to make a perfectly secure internet environment.

When the pandemic shut us down, we basically had two choices. One, figure out some way to get everyone up and running again ASAP. Two, shut the company into maintenance mode, furlough most of the team, and keep a tiny critical staff to keep the games limping along with no updates until the pandemic ended.

Cryptic leadership chose plan #1, and our IT department figured out a way for us to secure our internet structure so that people could work from home. Management found that (to the surprise of those who thought folks would just be lazy) people still needed things to do to keep them busy, to feel like they were contributing somehow or doing something productive during the pandemic, or just challenges to tackle to keep their minds busy, and though individuals varied in the kinds of hurdles they had to deal with, our teams were resilient and our team-members motivated. We were able to adjust to videoconference meetings, distributed workflow, and schedule shifts to accommodate people who had to care for children or relatives, folks with restrictive home environments, or even people who wound up not living anywhere near the rest of the team any more.

​

The whole shift wasn't without its challenges. Many people felt the increased stress from the pandemic and this put extra pressure on our communications and teamwork. Learning to use new remote tools was a curve, and there were specific drawbacks that we had to accommodate; this often slowed down workflow. Producers and managers had to accept that our schedules were going to shift and we wouldn't always be able to complete everything we wanted to do. The company as a whole worked hard to give people tools to deal with these problems.

​

A year in and there are still challenges to our workflow, though we have established a sort of "new normal" and as shown by our continued releases we're able to keep working on our games. The fact that Cryptic is now embracing the work-from-home structure is an exciting time, as team members have the possibility of moving to places where they can be with family or just escape from the difficult housing prices of the area. Since the company's retaining a base of operations, people who like going to an office to work and/or socialize will be able to do so once the pandemic ends.

All in all, it's been a definite learning curve, but while it has been hard on our teams, it's also come with some benefits and with some new resilience.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/m2r1rd/geko_posts_about_the_teams_experience_dealing/gqlf0pd/

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    Kael made a surprising reveal at the end of the stream tonight, towards the end of 2021 we'll be getting a T6 Steamrunner!
    https://clips.twitch.tv/BovineAnimatedRaccoonDoubleRainbow-n5XN_0Ae5mNHFgUM

Oh thanks for sharing that, evilmark444

I think it looks good even at that progressive stage

I just wonder how much "fluff" will be included with it to make it a $50-$60 ship pack lol
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Kael made a surprising reveal at the end of the stream tonight, towards the end of 2021 we'll be getting a T6 Steamrunner!
    https://clips.twitch.tv/BovineAnimatedRaccoonDoubleRainbow-n5XN_0Ae5mNHFgUM

Oh thanks for sharing that, evilmark444

I think it looks good even at that progressive stage

I just wonder how much "fluff" will be included with it to make it a $50-$60 ship pack lol

There probably won't be any fluff, there's nothing particularly iconic about the Steamrunner so it should just be a normal C-Store release, though it'll probably have either a cross faction or ships of the line bundle option.as well.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    The changes to Command abilities were very welcome. Not perfect (like the command progression still being slow and some abilities not affecting it, emergency artillery still underwhelming, or subspace interception still often being activable despite having no valid targets), but it's a step in the right direction.
    trekhead wrote:
    Managers worried that if people were allowed to stay home, they'd just slack off and not finish their assigned tasks.
    [...]
    Management found that (to the surprise of those who thought folks would just be lazy) people still needed things to do to keep them busy, to feel like they were contributing somehow or doing something productive during the pandemic, or just challenges to tackle to keep their minds busy, and though individuals varied in the kinds of hurdles they had to deal with, our teams were resilient and our team-members motivated. We were able to adjust to videoconference meetings, distributed workflow, and schedule shifts to accommodate people who had to care for children or relatives, folks with restrictive home environments, or even people who wound up not living anywhere near the rest of the team any more.
    [...]
    Producers and managers had to accept that our schedules were going to shift and we wouldn't always be able to complete everything we wanted to do. The company as a whole worked hard to give people tools to deal with these problems.
    And those people are in charge of other people...

Even people who are introverted or know introverted people know humans can't stay without stimuli (and not simply the 'gaming, playing, chatting and overall being a lazy no-life' kind) for long before starting to get mentally affected, even if they've been "alone" most of their life. So imagine employees in the video game industry...

I'd like to hope those events will help managers, producers, HR, etc. re-evaluate their views on how to treat employees, but well, I don't expect it to stick.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1

Maybe she'll do some VO for the game one day :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

Maybe she'll do some VO for the game one day :)

She very well could "break that ceiling" I think is the saying pertaining to Star Trek captains in STO. I wouldn't want her to be short-changed though for breaking the barrier & being the first neither. I'd enjoy them all (episode series captains) doing parts in STO myself.

When Cryptic announced the ship I even found some a video on YouTube, new to me & it was recommended which is a bit creepy, about Captain Janeway's statue in Bloomington, Indiana which I thought was sort of cool.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    Considering Tu'vok has the Voyager now, I'm not sure if there'd be a particularly interesting/exciting role for her character in the Prime Universe now. The Mirror Universe, however, I could definitely see Mirror-Janeway going on a rampage as she pillages the Delta Quadrant. It could probably be tied into the return of Mirror-Leeta somehow(reinforcements from the Delta Quadrant or something).

Plundering the Krenim for their temporal technology; Stealing Voth Phasic Cloaking tech; Developing Fluidic Energy Lances from dissecting 8472/Undine ships; Rapid regenerative armor/shields from Borg; 'improving' agony/enslavement tech with Devore anti-telepath systems; and the list goes on..

Mirror Temporal Science Destroyer Intrepid, anyone?
    edited March 2021
    Thomas revealed on Twitch that he's working on a bit of a quality pass on a few of the older T6 ships, adding a bit more detail and such, with a new Type 7A material to go along with it as the new "canon" 2409 Starfleet ship look. Not all ships will be getting a quality pass, and not all ships will get the new material due to the work involved. He showed an updated Reliant with the work-in-progress Type 7A material, and said he will be starting work on a quality pass for the Andromeda tomorrow.

twitch.tv/thomasmarrone

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/949891156?t=01h14m29s
    Post edited by evilmark444 on
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,805 Arc User
    Considering Tu'vok has the Voyager now, I'm not sure if there'd be a particularly interesting/exciting role for her character in the Prime Universe now. The Mirror Universe, however, I could definitely see Mirror-Janeway going on a rampage as she pillages the Delta Quadrant. It could probably be tied into the return of Mirror-Leeta somehow(reinforcements from the Delta Quadrant or something).

Plundering the Krenim for their temporal technology; Stealing Voth Phasic Cloaking tech; Developing Fluidic Energy Lances from dissecting 8472/Undine ships; Rapid regenerative armor/shields from Borg; 'improving' agony/enslavement tech with Devore anti-telepath systems; and the list goes on..

Mirror Temporal Science Destroyer Intrepid, anyone?

Janeway could put her flag on Voyager without dislodging Tu'vok, or on an entirely new ship. Vice Admirals do not directly command ships, captains do. She could lead a dispersed task force of which the player's ship is part of quite easily on some wide ranging mission for instance (or at least something that runs for the two scenarios, a TFO, and a few patrols that seems to be the typical thing now anyway).
    reyan01 wrote: »

Quite pleased about this one, personally. I've always rather enjoyed that TFO.

I didn't like it initially because of all the turrets & their interruptions. I wouldn't dare participate in it unless I was piloting a cloaking ship. Nowadays I still prefer a cloaking ship but it's manageable without too.
  • phoeniz1994phoeniz1994 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    Any news on any Caitian Long Hair options? :)
    0he9rXF.png
    edited March 2021

Because the question came up a lot on the stream, I'm gonna add that there currently are not any plans to make any bridge interiors with these assets, the devs are only building these new interior pieces for future missions and such.
    eaY7Xxu.png

Because the question came up a lot on the stream, I'm gonna add that there currently are not any plans to make any bridge interiors with these assets, the devs are only building these new interior pieces for future missions and such.

Well of course it's a shame about no future plans for any more ship interiors, but not unexpected.

That being said, those are some nice crisp shots of the hallway.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2021

Well of course it's a shame about no future plans for any more ship interiors, but not unexpected.

Yea I agree it would be AMAZING if Federation Ship Interior's got refitted/updated to use this in Federation Interior Hallways in 2410. I think it looks wonderful!

The one thing I've always LONG wished for is updating Ten Forward, Captain's Quarter's, and Captain's Ready Room; to use more placed items in those three rooms using the Trophy Mechanic even if we had to buy Trophies with GPL & Dilithium! Then if you could change various Workstations, Sofa, Table Chairs, Chair, Pet Bed/Fish Tank, Artifact, Book Shelves, Musical Instruments, Paintings, Area Rugs, and could slowly add several or slowly expand them. It also be nice to see a return to (some) missions unlock other Trophies from time to time, like they did at one time to place in those 3 rooms depending on your faction interior. <3

eKwJKul.png

I've always wanted to be able to show a bit more of the Captain's personality on my Ships.

Time to go watch their twitch by google 'twitch' & 'cryptic studios'

Still I think this is likely for a new Mission, or several (in fact) using it for Ships, Starbases as they said; and it's using a Modular Design, as I suggested to this forum (4-5 year ago) for Ship Interiors! Kudos and looks amazing from what I've seen so far... ...getting really excited to see the full potential this will eventually give them.

Great update, and so nice to see! o:)
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png

Yea I agree it would be AMAZING if Federation Ship Interior's got refitted/updated to use this in Federation Interior Hallways in 2410. I think it looks wonderful!

The one thing I've always LONG wished for is updating Ten Forward, Captain's Quarter's, and Captain's Ready Room; to use more placed items in those three rooms using the Trophy Mechanic even if we had to buy Trophies with GPL & Dilithium! Then if you could change various Workstations, Sofa, Table Chairs, Chair, Pet Bed/Fish Tank, Artifact, Book Shelves, Musical Instruments, Paintings, Area Rugs, and could slowly add several or slowly expand them. It also be nice to see a return to (some) missions unlock other Trophies from time to time, like they did at one time to place in those 3 rooms depending on your faction interior. <3

eKwJKul.png

I've always wanted to be able to show a bit more of the Captain's personality on my Ships.

Still I think this is likely for a new Mission, or several (in fact) using it for Ships, Starbases as they said; and it's using a Modular Design, as I suggested to this forum (4-5 year ago) for Ship Interiors! Kudos and looks amazing from what I've seen so far... ...getting really excited to see the full potential this will eventually give them.

I've sort of always wanted my ship's interior to be a very minor fleet starbase of sorts, just a few rooms, with all the possible amenities like you mentioned: "Then if you could change various Workstations, Sofa, Table Chairs, Chair, Pet Bed/Fish Tank, Artifact, Book Shelves, Musical Instruments, Paintings, Area Rugs," something to personalize it.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2021

eKwJKul.png

I've sort of always wanted my ship's interior to be a very minor fleet starbase of sorts, just a few rooms, with all the possible amenities like you mentioned: "Then if you could change various Workstations, Sofa, Table Chairs, Chair, Pet Bed/Fish Tank, Artifact, Book Shelves, Musical Instruments, Paintings, Area Rugs," something to personalize it.

Yea it's nice to see them finally trying to introduce Modular (Design) more often, I suggested it for Starship Interiors as it provide a lot more flexibility back in the day. Despite that I like Starship Interiors, the topic came up in that or another thread at the time, people wanted missions on Starships a bit more often; as more of the shows were focused there. Still it was nice to see them explain all the benefits they are realizing, including changing the appearance adjusting a few textures, or replacing how sections look, or even how they are laid out.

I don't know if they'll ever apply or extend this to Starship Interiors, yet the flexibility of Modular design is so vast!

I suspect the main focus is Missions, for visiting various Ships, or smaller Space Stations as explained; yet has potential to do more as well... I think this is extremely good news, regardless how they fully choose to utilize it! <3

So hopefully they continue this trend. 11 of out 10 Stars! One of the best updates, in a long time!
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    Make of it what you want folks. A extremely late (and well done) April fools joke or the real deal. You decide! :)

pjxgwS8.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    Well, given it was posted on the 2nd...I wouldn't call that EXTREMELY late, but it probably is a joke.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Hmm... Or, to be nitpicky, posted at 11:59pm on the 1st makes it still the 1st. So possibly joke.

Or this is what Kael meant when he said he was nervous about the 1st landing on a Thursday and what he had to announce.

So maybe he dressed up a real announcement like a last minute joke so that he technically made the reveal on the 1st as he needed to. And leaned into it because of the years of teasing on that particular ship.

He spent all day fending off jokes about Oberth being the 6th ship to "date" for the blog gag.

Lotta people saying it matches the usual placeholder registry numbers Cryptic normally uses, and based off a real VOY concept art they left behind.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
    foxman00 wrote: »
    Make of it what you want folks. A extremely late (and well done) April fools joke or the real deal. You decide! :)

Looks legit, but I'm absolutely shocked that that thing is getting the T6 treatment before the Nova ... the Nova is a beautiful ship with a similar design style to the Sovereign class and was strong enough to survive being stranded in the Delta quadrant for years, while the Oberth is an absolutely hideous design on a ship that instantly explodes when hit by a single shot meant to disable it.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User

Looks legit, but I'm absolutely shocked that that thing is getting the T6 treatment before the Nova ... the Nova is a beautiful ship with a similar design style to the Sovereign class and was strong enough to survive being stranded in the Delta quadrant for years, while the Oberth is an absolutely hideous design on a ship that instantly explodes when hit by a single shot meant to disable it.

Posted at 11:59 PM on 4/1 = Legit?? I'd say it's an end of day April Fools joke.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,805 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    If it IS a real ship, I like the look more than the canon 2370s version if they clean it up a bit. It probably is a joke though, if you look closely at the picture the forward saucer section is just a separate piece shoved into place and nothing matches up.

If they merged it into one peanut/flattened pear-shaped unit with the "saucer" detailing making a kind of infinity-sign shape it would be a great design reminiscent of some of the organic curved stuff Jefferies used in TOS design (like the shuttle that supposed to be used but they didn't have the time or budget to build it).

Posted at 11:59 PM on 4/1 = Legit?? I'd say it's an end of day April Fools joke.

I highly doubt that, I think it's more likely that it was scheduled to be announced yesterday but Kael was scared people wouldn't believe it on April 1st (especially considering his attitude towards the Oberth), so he waited until the last possible minute that it could be announced without being late.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,523 Community Moderator
    Wait... that was what Voyager could have looked like?
    Glad they went with the Intrepid honestly.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)