test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

📢 The Reddit/Twitter dev tracker thread 📢

Comments

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    This is not actually a Reddit/Twitter post, but I think it's gonna get a correction post soon:
    20210420185235_1.png?raw=1
    For those wondering, it's the First Contact event that is supposed to end on the 22nd.

EDIT: OK, so something is definitely wrong with the timers. Now, it properly says it ends on the 4th of May... BUT:
    20210420191747_1.png?raw=1
    And now, the two events randomly keep switching their end dates.
    20210420192142_1.png?raw=1
    It's actually pretty funny as it feels like even the system itself is sick of having more than 1 grindy events happening at the same time.
    Post edited by saurializard on
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Yeah, that's been happening for awhile now. If there's any overlap at all, it will show the timer for the one you first saw when you clicked the Event tab. If you select the other event on the side bar, then click another tab like Episodes, then click back, it'll show the right timer for that event. Until you click the first event again.

So many events end at 10am server time with new ones beginning at 8am server time that there's usually only a few hours overlap if it's the same day, and much of that time is taken up with Server Maintenance. Most players won't notice it, and it's so temporary it's not really worth fixing.

But we have an unusual 2 day+2hr overlap this time, so more people will notice. Most players will forget soon after.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
    Yeah, that's been happening for awhile now. If there's any overlap at all, it will show the timer for the one you first saw when you clicked the Event tab. If you select the other event on the side bar, then click another tab like Episodes, then click back, it'll show the right timer for that event. Until you click the first event again.

So many events end at 10am server time with new ones beginning at 8am server time that there's usually only a few hours overlap if it's the same day, and much of that time is taken up with Server Maintenance. Most players won't notice it, and it's so temporary it's not really worth fixing.

But we have an unusual 2 day+2hr overlap this time, so more people will notice. Most players will forget soon after.
    You don't even need to change tabs. Clicking on Event campaign or even closing the window and reopening it can suffice.
    #TASforSTO
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »

Why is it always Twitter he uses to obtain player feedback? :#

Because the majority of people won't go on a multiple-tweet explanation and so they'll just refrain from answering alltogether.
    Since people that are all "this is lovely uwu" don't need more than one tweet to say that, this MO ensures two things:
    - people that wants to bring concrit to the table won't bother 95% of the times;
    - people with complaints will go in, write something in a very sarcastic/ironic way and be submerged by other tweets pretty much insulting them for voicing their opinion, albeit not in the best possible way.

It's a very clever and commonly used tactic and it's worked, so far.
    The worse about this is the ending "not really looking for 'there's too many events' :)". The emoji is just insulting, but then again he is incapable of doing anything in any kind of professional manner, and the whole thing just screams: "tell us what's good but keept the bad to yourself", because technical and UI aspects reflect only marginally on the business practice of the entire thing, so they're inconsequential.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.

Why is it always Twitter he uses to obtain player feedback? :#

Because the majority of people won't go on a multiple-tweet explanation and so they'll just refrain from answering alltogether.
    Since people that are all "this is lovely uwu" don't need more than one tweet to say that, this MO ensures two things:
    - people that wants to bring concrit to the table won't bother 95% of the times;
    - people with complaints will go in, write something in a very sarcastic/ironic way and be submerged by other tweets pretty much insulting them for voicing their opinion, albeit not in the best possible way.

It's a very clever and commonly used tactic and it's worked, so far.
    The worse about this is the ending "not really looking for 'there's too many events' :)". The emoji is just insulting, but then again he is incapable of doing anything in any kind of professional manner, and the whole thing just screams: "tell us what's good but keept the bad to yourself", because technical and UI aspects reflect only marginally on the business practice of the entire thing, so they're inconsequential.
    ^this

And besides, even if they don't like the answers, they can always say the classic: "that's not what the data we choose to interpret in our way without accounting other related stuff casting doubts on our claims says".
    #TASforSTO
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    how many people do you think actually follow those rules? and unless you're a famous person, they have neither the ability nor the care to discover otherwise - just use a fake name like i did for both twitter and facebook​​

except because of all this they now know that IS my name. So if I change it they will know I'm violating the real name policy.

The real issue is why they think my name is not acceptable. I did everything in my power to make it clear that I wasn't an impersonator, just someone who happened to have the same name.

Odd, i just put my second name as my nickname, Gaevs, that's what i preffer anyway...

Good for you. If you read what I wrote you would know that I am not in the same situation. I don't have a nickname. The name they won't let me use IS the only one I use in real life. They've effectively imposed two policies which, between them, have left me with no useable name.

According to the Twitter impersonation policy, simply having the same name isn't supposed to get you suspended:

https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/twitter-impersonation-policy

Idk how long it's been since you tried, but it might be worth appealing again if it matters to you. I personally only use Twitter for giveaways and such.

Yeah. I went through all of that. Appeals, etc. Didn't get anywhere. "We have received multiple reports even after you appealed", etc. They decided that forcing me to change my name, in order to stop the reports, was a reasonable solution. But also refused to explicitly authorize me violating the real name policy. "Just use your nickname".

It's not a problem except when it comes to this horrible communication from STO: the devs seem to only want to communicate via twitter and reddit. And the reddit STO mods banned me also (for separate reasons). So I can't interact with them at all.

Do you know what an ALIAS is? Do you know what an ASSUMED NAME is? Do you know what a PEN NAME is? Do you know what a PSEUDONYM is? For the love of cheese, please pick one.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    I tried twitter a long time ago but I never used it much (so little in fact that I forgot to change the email associated with my account before that email provider shut down). While it occasionally had something useful most of it was useless inane chatter even on supposedly serious channels (or whatever they called them, I haven't used it in so long I forget) or even worse had trolls moving in spewing poison all over (though I have heard that was cleaned that up somewhat a little while ago).
    edited April 2021
    gaevsman wrote: »
    how many people do you think actually follow those rules? and unless you're a famous person, they have neither the ability nor the care to discover otherwise - just use a fake name like i did for both twitter and facebook​​

except because of all this they now know that IS my name. So if I change it they will know I'm violating the real name policy.

The real issue is why they think my name is not acceptable. I did everything in my power to make it clear that I wasn't an impersonator, just someone who happened to have the same name.

Odd, i just put my second name as my nickname, Gaevs, that's what i preffer anyway...

Good for you. If you read what I wrote you would know that I am not in the same situation. I don't have a nickname. The name they won't let me use IS the only one I use in real life. They've effectively imposed two policies which, between them, have left me with no useable name.

According to the Twitter impersonation policy, simply having the same name isn't supposed to get you suspended:

https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/twitter-impersonation-policy

Idk how long it's been since you tried, but it might be worth appealing again if it matters to you. I personally only use Twitter for giveaways and such.

Yeah. I went through all of that. Appeals, etc. Didn't get anywhere. "We have received multiple reports even after you appealed", etc. They decided that forcing me to change my name, in order to stop the reports, was a reasonable solution. But also refused to explicitly authorize me violating the real name policy. "Just use your nickname".

It's not a problem except when it comes to this horrible communication from STO: the devs seem to only want to communicate via twitter and reddit. And the reddit STO mods banned me also (for separate reasons). So I can't interact with them at all.

Do you know what an ALIAS is? Do you know what an ASSUMED NAME is? Do you know what a PEN NAME is? Do you know what a PSEUDONYM is? For the love of cheese, please pick one.

Yes I do. I am not stupid.

Twitter's name policy says that members are expected and required to "use the name you are known by in real life". They will not allow me to use the one and only name I have that qualifies (because they have decided that it's easier to force me to change than to dismiss the false claims that I am a celebrity imposter). Sadly, it's my legal name, and neither I nor my family was even aware he existed until I was already an adult.

It didn't initially say that (did not when I signed up) but does now, and that change was made prior to my contact with their staff.

I generally don't sign up for sites with such rules (having run into the same issue in the past), but they changed the rules on me. And when I explicitly asked them to authorize me to not follow their real name policy (in response to their opening the issue of possible impersonation), they dodged, then demanded I change my name without that permission, (apparently, though they never said this, believing that I was lying about having no other qualifying name - they kept insisting I just use my nonexistent nickname) and eventually banned me for not complying fast enough.

So your plan is I should use some other name anyway, in full and knowing violation of Twitter's policy, and basically hoping they never just up and ban me again, simply because Cryptic can't be bothered to communicate on their own forum?

But yes, go on blaming the victim.

Twitter has always been sleazy and two-faced about names. When it first came out they actually advertised in Second Life and made devices available (those are script-imbedded virtual objects that do various things, vaguely similar to extensions in regular games) to tweet/receive tweets directly in the game. After they got a bunch of people to sign up their avatars they flip-flopped and demanded that they use their real names instead -- in a game that did not allow real-world names to be used within it (Second Life changed that policy years later though). The twitter company probably figured enough people were so addicted to tweeting by that time that they would switch to a regular twitter account or something.

And the way the devices worked there would have been no way to do that without changing the avatar's name to match the person's real name which was literally impossible (and against the rules at that time anyway) since at that time the avatar surnames were picked from a rotating list of about a dozen or so and the names on that list were purposely spelled in an odd way even if one of them happened to be similar to the person's real name which would have been against twitter's rules.

I did make a regular twitter account a few years later because the college I went to was a bit like STO, they never used their student portal news page for anything and tweeted instead, and I never used it for anything after I graduated.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    So your plan is I should use some other name anyway, in full and knowing violation of Twitter's policy, and basically hoping they never just up and ban me again, simply because Cryptic can't be bothered to communicate on their own forum?

But yes, go on blaming the victim.

And then after all that effort, your feedback would likely just be ignored anyway. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
    I don't get why DSC keeps going for the Star Wars look like Booker's ship has, Star Wars is not the box office powerhouse it was when old Paramount was in that tug-of-war with Roddenberry, Paramount execs trying to turn Star Trek into a Star Wars clone (no pun intended) and Roddenberry pulling the other direction. With a few exceptions (like The Mandalorian) it has been derivative and lackluster at best ever since Disney got their claws into it. Kurtzman has definitely not been "stealing the right stuff" as his mentor JJ Abrams would say.

It is nice to see something like the self-reconfiguring extruding controls TOS was supposed to have but the production tech at the time could not do affordably (and swapping them off-camera just made it look like continuity errors), though it would have been a lot nicer if they had done a TOS era show with them and the powered-turn chairs that extruded from the floor in front of the stations when needed.
    Another Twitter Feedback post.

It really is 'interesting' that the only place they feel they can ask questions like this is Twitter.....

Can we re-engineer our "community manager"?

- sorry, still banned from Twitter.

I mean, at this point it would be impossibile to find someone that does a worse job, because he ain't doing the job at all, so a re-engineering would be most welcome.
    Please, give the job to someone else.
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    edited April 2021

It really is 'interesting' that the only place they feel they can ask questions like this is Twitter.....

I mean, at this point it would be impossibile to find someone that does a worse job, because he ain't doing the job at all, so a re-engineering would be most welcome.
    Please, give the job to someone else.

thats why i mentioned in another post elsewhere, that they should either hire a new CM, or allow him to placate himself on twit and whatever else he finds his feelings not hurt, and allow dark or rattler to be the main CM for the forums.

I'd rather they hired a new one, but letting him juggle Twitter is fine... provided we do get another CM anyway. And sorry to say, but no "moderator in my free time" is gonna cut it, especially because a CM's work is not only limited to being active on the forums as they're supposed to be the link between the playerbase and the devs.
    Does that mean I don't want the CM coming around to the forums regularly? Quite the contrary, actually. I simply recognize that, in this day and age, one single platform is not enough for a variety of reasons: we've got people banned from one platform (like @westmetals is from Twitter), we have people that haven't got the faintest idea on how to use Reddit and don't want to learn, we have those that prefer remaining on the forums because it's the only official platform, and so forth and so forth.

This is what Kael is willfully ignoring in favour of going on Twitter where there's pretty much only people going "they're mean TRIBBLE, don't listen to them, you're doing a wonderful job uwu".
    Post edited by jennycolvin on
    kv1Ohsx.png

allow dark or rattler to be the main CM for the forums.

Dark and Rattler are not CMs, they are volunteer mods. They have mod powers and more direct methods of contacting Kael than we do, but otherwise they are normal forum users just like you and me. They are not CMs, and they do not get paid.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User

Yeah - He needs a: 'ability to proofread and correct marketing copy before posting it publicly' module added ASAP. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    This is what Kael is willfully ignoring in favour of going on Twitter where there's pretty much only people going "they're mean TRIBBLE, don't listen to them, you're doing a wonderful job uwu".

Well, lets not forget the Livesteams.....

Which are actually no better since, much like Twitter, he can be very selective about what he does or doesn't address and say "we're not talking about X" from the onset.

He's a lot better about what he answers than some other companies. Whenever Blizzard does a Q&A for WoW (usually only happens at BlizzCon nowadays) they pretty much only answer the softball questions that either people don't care about or that people who pay attention to announcements already know the answers to. I'm also not sure if WoW even has a CM anymore, because Lore's twitter now describes his job as "I handle streamer and content creator relations for WoW and WoW Classic."

What I'm getting at is that as frustrating as it can be when Kael only posts things on Twitter, his work as CM is one of the few areas where STO significantly outperforms the WoW team.
    eaY7Xxu.png

Which are actually no better since, much like Twitter, he can be very selective about what he does or doesn't address and say "we're not talking about X" from the onset.

He's a lot better about what he answers than some other companies. Whenever Blizzard does a Q&A for WoW (usually only happens at BlizzCon nowadays) they pretty much only answer the softball questions that either people don't care about or that people who pay attention to announcements already know the answers to. I'm also not sure if WoW even has a CM anymore, because Lore's twitter now describes his job as "I handle streamer and content creator relations for WoW and WoW Classic."

What I'm getting at is that as frustrating as it can be when Kael only posts things on Twitter, his work as CM is one of the few areas where STO significantly outperforms the WoW team.
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DamnedByFaintPraise
    #TASforSTO
    Quite frankly, I don't care how he's performing compared to anyone else, because we're not talking about anyone else. We're talking about him.
    And as far as STO goes, he's hands down the worst CM we've ever had - and yes, I know what kind of CMs we had in the past.
    The reason is one and only one: he's not doing his job.
    kv1Ohsx.png

edited April 2021

True, STO isn't too bad compared to the lower ones in the PR spectrum though it isn't one of the best about it either (unless that kind of thing has eroded considerably further than I thought).

For instance, Secret World Legends has an official Discord channel (they also have a traditional forum but I have not been there) and while they don't seem to have a formal CM (the team is tiny even compared to STO) the devs themselves keep an eye on the channel and occasionally drop in.

Defiance used to be really good at keeping in contact with the playerbase too before they got bought out and split into two versions. Not only did they have a good relationship with the forums, sometimes the CMs and even a dev or two could be found ingame from time to time, and there was a sort of informal event in the form of a crazy slaughter-race starting at the new-player start area and went across the whole open-world map to the furthest point of land now and then.

Second life also had great communication between the company and the users, and they also put in appearances inworld (though it was more like town halls rather than something out of Mad Max) or them just wandering around looking at the sims (maps) players had built (one time I ran across someone with the "Linden" surname (only the company people had them) with a first name I didn't recognize and chatted with him a bit, it wasn't until later that I found out he was the CEO of the company taking a break and wandering around in the game).

On the other hand, I have noticed that company/player contact has been dropping in general in games the last half decade or so, maybe STO could be one of the ones near the top nowadays like SWL currently is.
    On the other hand, I have noticed that company/player contact has been dropping in general in games the last half decade or so, maybe STO could be one of the ones near the top nowadays like SWL currently is.
    I wonder *cough*DLC*cough* what could *cough*season passes*cough* be the reasons *cough*lootboxes*cough* that would cause *cough*sub-par mobile games*cough* this progressively less *cough*crunch and harassment scandals*cough* present contact between *cough*broken promises*cough* video game companies and *cough*"mainstreaming" franchises that were loved for not having "mainstream" features*cough* players.

Truly, this is *cough*timed-exclusives*cough* a complete mystery to why *cough*overpriced re-re-releases/"remasters"*cough* such phenomenon would *cough*day-1 patches*cough* occur, but it's probably *cough*more and more expensive and blatant overhyping campaigns*cough* millenials' fault again, somehow.
    #TASforSTO
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User

I don't think literacy skills are on the re-engineering list. :P
  • kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    I don't think literacy skills are on the re-engineering list. :P

:hushed:
    I think they can. The only thing that`s exempt from that one is `communication`, which has a hard-coded 2.5% (proc) chance of activating.
    Folks - I really can't say anything specific about this, but I hear that you're upset, Console Captains. On Tuesday, there will be a reason for you to be less upset about the price difference. And sadly, that's all I can say.

I realize everything is scheduled to be revealed on specific days, but when something is so obviously gonna TRIBBLE people off like this they should schedule the positive spin they're gonna add on to be revealed at the same time as the bad news.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    Folks - I really can't say anything specific about this, but I hear that you're upset, Console Captains. On Tuesday, there will be a reason for you to be less upset about the price difference. And sadly, that's all I can say.

I realize everything is scheduled to be revealed on specific days, but when something is so obviously gonna TRIBBLE people off like this they should schedule the positive spin they're gonna add on to be revealed at the same time as the bad news.

Cryptic Studios Marketing Dept. Slogan: "Shooting Ourselves in the foot since 2008...Why change now?" ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."