test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

what counts? (melee kills)

spy8446spy8446 Member Posts: 585 Arc User
So we have the tommy gun and shotgun and the special melee weapons like the winter wonderland plasma batleth etc.
will these weapons count and do away team melee kills count or is it 100% player melee kills?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    I dunno about the energy based melee weapons but I'm pretty sure no ranged weapon attack you count, though their melee attack might. So you can't go hosing them from distance with the Tommy Gun if you want it to count but you might be able to bash their heads in with the butt of the gun.

Also I dunno about Away Team melee as they're so bad at it that I never use melee with them.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    spy8446 wrote: »
    So we have the tommy gun and shotgun and the special melee weapons like the winter wonderland plasma batleth etc.
    will these weapons count and do away team melee kills count or is it 100% player melee kills?

Ranged Physical damage does not count. Items like the Thompson are assault weapons even though they deal Physical Damage, the only kills that count are from weapons listed by the game as Melee. The Shotgun and Leq's Throwing Knives also do not count.

Despite earlier reports, bridge officer kills do NOT count toward the Melee Goal, only kills made by your captain with a melee weapon. While Bridge Officer Melee kills don't count however, giving them melee weapons will prevent them from shooting your target from range before you can reach it so an all melee team will progress the goal faster.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    my bo's are without weapon ,toon has emperors sword , am at 500kills ,done around 15 missions
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    I dunno about the energy based melee weapons

My Dual Nanopulse Mek'leth's are carving their way through the recruit tasks. Soooo much better than the recruit bat'leth I was using.

(also, one possible advantage of equipping your away team with melee weapons, even if the kills don't count... they steal a heck of a lot less kills from you.)
  • Options
    poddlipoddli Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    I switch them to passive. They'll still place generators and heal me, but they don't shoot or use offensive powers.
  • Options
    poddli wrote: »
    I switch them to passive. They'll still place generators and heal me, but they don't shoot or use offensive powers.

Thanks for the tip
  • Options
    lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    If you're running a tactical captain, the Lunge and Sweeping Strikes kit modules also count toward recruit melee kills. I've been using them for the bulk of the melee kills on my recruit.
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    What would be really nice is visual kill tracker, so one knows how far into the grind they are. A space one to.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    arabatur wrote: »
    What would be really nice is visual kill tracker, so one knows how far into the grind they are. A space one to.

Very much agreed. Would be nice to have something to say "Right, you have X of Y. Keep going!" The jump from 500 to 1000 will be no picnic, to say nothing of 1k to 2.5k.

Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • Options
    darkwing228darkwing228 Member Posts: 83 Arc User

Very much agreed. Would be nice to have something to say "Right, you have X of Y. Keep going!" The jump from 500 to 1000 will be no picnic, to say nothing of 1k to 2.5k.

Yep, they really don't seem to have put much thought into this recruitment event and seem to have gotten everything from a random number generator.
  • Options
    spy8446spy8446 Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    I think Deferi invasion zone might be the best place to grind for the melee kills, if your smart
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited February 2021
    Any zone where you have enemy groups that aren't shy about getting up close and personal should work.

+Defera would probably be the best because you don't take any BOffs with you, and Borg don't run.
    +Nimbus might work with the Gorn Canyon as most Gorn tend to want to close in on you even with ranged weapons, and there's the worms that don't move and scorpions that have to melee.
    -Nukara sucks as the Tholians won't stay in melee, and prefer ranged radiation attacks.
    - Voth Battlezone I would also say is a no go. Voth tend to want to stick at range mostly and have a couple disables, especially with the higher tier Voth soldiers and the Dinos.
    /Not really sure how New Romulus stacks up. Hirogen might make for good melee farming, and scorpions are present as well, however hostile Romulans and Tholians will prefer to stay at range.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    smi3thsmi3th Member Posts: 211 Arc User

I think they have tried to do this and so far failed. When I look at my ground traits sometimes I see a "Melee Tracker" ground trait that does nothing and doesn't have a logo.

I'm not sure why it's a problem since the "Thirst for Battle section had a level progress bar. You would think that something liek that would be in place for the other sections.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Any zone where you have enemy groups that aren't shy about getting up close and personal should work.

+Defera would probably be the best because you don't take any BOffs with you, and Borg don't run.
    +Nimbus might work with the Gorn Canyon as most Gorn tend to want to close in on you even with ranged weapons, and there's the worms that don't move and scorpions that have to melee.
    -Nukara sucks as the Tholians won't stay in melee, and prefer ranged radiation attacks.
    - Voth Battlezone I would also say is a no go. Voth tend to want to stick at range mostly and have a couple disables, especially with the higher tier Voth soldiers and the Dinos.
    /Not really sure how New Romulus stacks up. Hirogen might make for good melee farming, and scorpions are present as well, however hostile Romulans and Tholians will prefer to stay at range.

I'd say New Rom is a no go as Hirogen prefer to stay at range as well only the scorps prefer melee as they don't have a ranged attack.
  • Options
    khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    in the mission partisans just activating the cornor with targs and putting your crew on passive is probably faster than running all over the place, you can kill the targs as they spawn. i got about 2k kills in 40 mins

i just spammed the 1 key with nano'pulse mek'leths those things are silly fast.
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    khazlol wrote: »
    in the mission partisans just activating the cornor with targs and putting your crew on passive is probably faster than running all over the place, you can kill the targs as they spawn. i got about 2k kills in 40 mins

i just spammed the 1 key with nano'pulse mek'leths those things are silly fast.

You know a requirement is a fail if you are required to stand in one spot, with your BOffs turned into morons (passive), and have to spam the same attack for 40 minutes.

Come on Devs, you're better than this. We should be able to accomplish these requirements through normal play (i.e. make BOff attacks count too), not be forced to 'farm' kills.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    what's even worse is you specifically have to land the KILLING BLOW to get credit - i don't even want to know how many kill credits i've lost to my boffs whenever i forgot to set them passive (which does nothing to stop them summoning things - i really ought to remove all those until this is over with) or to other players in shared zones like nimbus or nukara​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Does Jayla's staff count, or no?
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    Partisans mission, in the arena -- get the spawns going around all 3 generators (yes, you can have all 3 active), and you'll have a near-constant stream of melee-focused (or exclusively) enemies coming for you.

I was mostly focusing on open world areas like Defera.
    You know a requirement is a fail if you are required to stand in one spot, with your BOffs turned into morons (passive), and have to spam the same attack for 40 minutes.

Come on Devs, you're better than this. We should be able to accomplish these requirements through normal play (i.e. make BOff attacks count too), not be forced to 'farm' kills.

I doubt that was their intention at all. Its possible that they intended the player to use melee more often along the way through the story. Not just farm in one place for about an hour. Its the players that come up with various strategies, and develop the easiest paths towards a goal. No objectives are designed with that particular route in mind. So its not a fail on the Devs part. Blame players for coming up with the path of least resistance.
    Does Jayla's staff count, or no?

The melee attack probably does. Hell... even a basic rifle butt attack will probably count because it is considered a melee attack. ANY weapon can melee, except for the Cyclic Modulation weapons that have no melee. Bet even the Khan Cannon's melee sweep would count towards melee kills.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Since one requirement is also to complete all episodes, my plan is to melee and ambush everything and see where I end up by the end.

At my current rate of episode play, I'll know in a few months how far I get on those kill counts. Then the RTFO parts. And only then I'll worry about grinding the rest of the kills out if I really need to. But at the current rate, I'll clear the kills before I finish the other requirements. So I'm not worried yet about a grind.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • Options
    With a beam build on a Battle Cloak ship, Ambush kills are a breeze. I'm already working towards the last part of that particular track thanks to my Qugh balance beam build. Cloak, move in, AP Beta, Kemo, FAW, Emergency to Weapons, decloak and light myself up like a Christmas Tree. B)
  • Options

I doubt that was their intention at all. Its possible that they intended the player to use melee more often along the way through the story. Not just farm in one place for about an hour. Its the players that come up with various strategies, and develop the easiest paths towards a goal. No objectives are designed with that particular route in mind. So its not a fail on the Devs part. Blame players for coming up with the path of least resistance.

Well, if I'm any example... I am halfway through the story arc missions trying to use nothing but melee attacks with my captain. And you know what milestone I'm at currently? 50 kills. (Well somewhere between 50 and 100 since there is no tracker).

So 50. Through normal game play. Halfway through the story arcs.

That is what I call a fail.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Well, if I'm any example... I am halfway through the story arc missions trying to use nothing but melee attacks with my captain. And you know what milestone I'm at currently? 50 kills. (Well somewhere between 50 and 100 since there is no tracker).

Hmm. My Recruit is partway into Romulan Mystery (Frozen is next). Has done one featured mission (Kitomer Discord, to get the Nanopulse Mek'leths), and Nimbus III up to Installation 18. I equipped my away team with Batleths, as well. Level... 22? 23?

I'm just above 1k kills.

edit: but yeah, I'm not particularly enjoying it. I can't wait to be able to use a gun again.
  • Options
    khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User

Don't think melee was ever meant to be our primary weapons, you can save yourself a lot of time using one of the strategies posted in this thread. but i don't disagree ,the task was a bit meh. at least the ambushes can be done passively
  • Options
    paddy#3322 paddy Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Hmm. My Recruit is partway into Romulan Mystery (Frozen is next). Has done one featured mission (Kitomer Discord, to get the Nanopulse Mek'leths), and Nimbus III up to Installation 18. I equipped my away team with Batleths, as well. Level... 22? 23?

Since you mentioned it, is Installation 18 on Nimbus bugged? I haven't run it in ages but tried to complete it on my new Klingon recruit and it locks up every time. Dropped the settings, force verify, still locks up. Just curious if it's bugged now and I missed reading about it.
    RIP (2022) : Officer Wilbert Mota, Corporal Charles Galloway, Detective Jason Rivera, Officer Fernando
    Arroyos, Officer John Painter, K9 Jedi, K9 Maya, Deputy Constable Neil Adams, Officer Jorge
    David Alvarado, Sergeant Joshua Cordell, Trooper Martin Mack, Trooper Branden Sisca,
    Lieutenant William Lebo
  • Options
    paddy#3322 wrote: »

Since you mentioned it, is Installation 18 on Nimbus bugged? I haven't run it in ages but tried to complete it on my new Klingon recruit and it locks up every time. Dropped the settings, force verify, still locks up. Just curious if it's bugged now and I missed reading about it.

Haven't actually tried it yet. The first 'buggy' bit is that it didn't trigger after I finished the previous mission, and I had to do a lot of searching to find the contact who'd give it to me.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    One bug that has been in Installation 18 for years is that if you let the alarms go for too long it glitches the scenario so it will not progress. The first priority has to be to clear the way to shut those alarms down.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

I'm just above 1k kills.

edit: but yeah, I'm not particularly enjoying it. I can't wait to be able to use a gun again.

So Nanopulse seems to be the key here (I've been using the supplied Sto-Vo-Kor Batleth - apparently a very stupid choice). Either that or BOff attacks DO count. So what is it? Do they count or not???
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    So what is it? Do they count or not???

No, they do not.
    Insert witty signature line here.
This discussion has been closed.