Install Arc
Options

A kick feature for TFO's

Comments

• Options
    daimon97daimon97 Member Posts: 368 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    People need to realize, every single system can be abused. There is no such thing as an abuse proof system. Folks already abuse the ability to AFK right now and still collect rewards. That hampers the other 4 players with no means of remedy for them. That is an even greater abuse than someone being booted from a run.

Yeah all systems can be abused...but one which can be SO BLOODY OBVIOUSLY abused that it took me all of 2 seconds to come up with how to do it is not a good system. Sometimes nothing at all is better than a bad system. And no, I don't think a system where you can grief other players out of their reward is better than one where one person leeches. Not saying I am a fan of leechers mind you...my past posts should be pretty clear on my views of them...but vote kick is a terrible idea that needs to go away in ALL games.

Yeah, I agree with you on this.

The best counter in advanced queues.. get your DPS up to the point where you can do it all yourself, then ignore your team. If they want to work together and everyone is active.. then great.. lets do this. If they are going to AFK or be stupid, I just ignore them and steam roll the queue by myself.

You can't argue with that when you have people blindly throwing money at lockboxes as the main source of income for the business model they use. Although its more clear with ground combat with the briefing time seeing what you are dealing with because if you see a minigun, blast assault, and/or herald lobi weapon its a dead giveaway that you are not dealing with knowledgeable players or possibly brand new players who haven't learned anything about the game yet.

Um.... what's wrong with the herald staff weapon?

Nothing it is still one of the best, just not the best
  • Options
    No, I don't want anything done. AFK is not a problem. It just gives me a chance to do more. Elitist are not a problem. I've had chat off for 8 years. Trolls are a problem. Giving them control is the craziest suggestion I've ever seen on these forums.

Consider the undine infiltration mission. I remember when people played all these missions. During that time I played this let's say 200 times. Every time I would wince waiting for someone to mess up the questions. How often was this on purpose? Who knows. But it was more than a few. Then we have placing the cover shield to block access to the final cave. This was done so often I believe they had to change the mechanic of the cover shield.

Even if the trolling is only 1% of players it will happen every single day, which is way more than it happens now.

I think saying AFK is not a problem is kind of a stretch.. I personally don't want lazy trolls to do nothing and reap the rewards of others.. We just need to find a way to implement it in such a way that such trolls wont abuse it
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    No thank you. I have no interest in getting spammed with vote kick requests because someone does not like the ship another person on the team is using. Very hard pass on this one.

Do people seriously think people will vote others because of the ships they use?...
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    daimon97 wrote: »
    Do people seriously think people will vote others because of the ships they use?...

Absolutely. No question this will happen. We already see this now with some making comments about people playing the "wrong" ships in TFOs.

But that makes no sense whatsoever, do elitist players ship shame others? In all my years I never knew that existed
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Your idea is a solution to a problem that does not exist while causing an infinitely bigger issue by giving griefers more power.

Agreed completely. If I had to briefly sum up my opposition to this idea, this would be a succinct explanation of why.
    But that makes no sense whatsoever, do elitist players ship shame others? In all my years I never knew that existed

Sadly, yes.. that’s a very real thing. And you can bet an Infinity Promo pack that people would constantly use a vote/kick system on people that are flying ships that “suck.” It’s a sad reality and it opens the door to a problem that’s bigger then the issue the proposed system was designed to fight.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Until you can come up with a way of preventing Epeen boots, no. I actually had people screaming at me in chat because I was flying a megawell ship. and heaven forbid someone make an error because they are new to a TFO.... way too many ways of being screwed over that outweighs any benefit.

This is another reason why I'm hesitant regarding vote kick abuse. If you don't measure up to some perceived measuring stick of some random person, or you're not using an "authorized" build according to some random dude... they retaliate. Adding a vote kick may encourage more discrimination over builds. We already have enough issues with people just launching attacks over perceived issues. We don't need to give them more tools.

I will admit that the build discrimination may not be a COMMON thing, it happens enough that it comes up every once in a while on the forums.

it happens enough that I do not do TFOs unless it's a grind for an event. if it's an endeavor, pass. I decided to do one of the borg TFOs, cannot remember which, and I inadvertently chose advanced. I died quickly and often in the first couple minutes and the abuse coming over the chat from 2 of the players was enough that I just signed out. If I want to get yelled at I'll open the door the next time the blue-hair from the HOA says my lawn needs to be cut because it's 1/4 inch too high.

it happened a second time when I decided to do a random and tried to do a ground. of course my traits were set up for space. I died, and the team started screaming I'm stupid and I should not play "their" game. twice in probably 5 outings not related to an even, where everyone is playing is enough that there are too many toxic players that think TFOs especially Borg TFOs are their own personal domains. actually, I could care less if they put in a kick mode. all it would do is ensure I don't play TFOs at all.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well, it has the same number of Console slots as a FT6X. It doesn't have the specialized seating, but in many cases they're not used anyway. And as there will be one less Boff seat, it can be one of those blasted Engineering seats that you may not miss anyway. My two cents for those complainers who should rotate on one of the Warp Nacelle Pylons.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    No thank you. I have no interest in getting spammed with vote kick requests because someone does not like the ship another person on the team is using. Very hard pass on this one.

yes and maybe not even the ship but the weapons. I have seen chat comments Oh, they are a POLARON user DISRUPTOR is SO much better, or my favorite, Geez a rainbow ship. apparently the complainer did not bother to see the player was using different versions of the same weapon type to get set bonuses...
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    Just went another Azura Nebula Rescue and I had the same griever player I came across 3 times this week, even tho we both are ignoring each other.... and I constantly reported him for afk and grieving...
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Just went another Azura Nebula Rescue and I had the same griever player I came across 3 times this week, even tho we both are ignoring each other.... and I constantly reported him for afk and grieving...

Cold is right man.. the ignore feature does nothing but chat block them. The 'Report' feature does nothing either, it's a placebo intended to make you feel better. Cryptic does not pursue any type of violation that doesn't involve Zen. If you have a transaction that they think might be fraudulent.. banned instantly. If you do literally anything else, no matter how many times you do it, nothing will ever happen. No one is receiving your reports and no one cares.

Just letting you know.. sorry man.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options

Cold is right man.. the ignore feature does nothing but chat block them. The 'Report' feature does nothing either, it's a placebo intended to make you feel better. Cryptic does not pursue any type of violation that doesn't involve Zen. If you have a transaction that they think might be fraudulent.. banned instantly. If you do literally anything else, no matter how many times you do it, nothing will ever happen. No one is receiving your reports and no one cares.

Just letting you know.. sorry man.

That is rather disappointing...But still
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,325 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    darkblade... normally I don't argue with mods, but the hat isn't on right now. We're all equal right now.
    You're taking what I'm saying a bit more on the practical side. I'm leaning a bit more towards the ego side of some who are obsessed with their epeen performance. We actually had an incident here on the forums where someone got directed to a build guide over their build... and it was acutally the guy who WROTE said guide who got pointed to it!

On top of that... people WILL assume your build is terrible and will attack over it if so inclined if your "numbers" don't line up with some self percieved level requirement. Therein lies a problem because it could be that its NOT the build, but the player. But that doesn't matter to some people, its "get gud or gtfo". Someone might even just see Tetryon beams and assume they suck because its not the uber damage dealing metabuild of the week.

I'm not calling out the practicality of it. I'm calling out the Human side of it.

Like I said, we do need SOMETHING to deal with AFKers and toxic players in TFO runs. But at the same time we need to find a way to keep said system from being abused by elitists who get so bent out of shape if someone "drags their numbers down" in Infected. Because I hate to say it, but there are people in game who do that to varying degrees. And they don't care about your build other than the fact it is "obviously garbage" because you're not performing to their perceived level. Doesn't matter if you're a veteran or a rookie, you get the lash for insulting your superior by not performing as well or not using a "proper", by their definition, build. Anything that reduces their numbers is an insult. That could be you not having an optimized build, or it could be you having a megawell build that pulls things away from them while they're trying to alpha strike.

Its not all gear. Its ego.
    I'm not totally against having a vote kick. I'm just seeing how it can be abused in the current environment.

To be honest, at this point, I find staying away from ISA as much as possible (except when Random dumps me in there) benefical; because if there is anywhere you're going to find an Epeen waving Juggernaught pilot, its there.

Controversial opinion here, but given the choice of some OP epeen waving 'look at muh DPS' bore or an AFK'er, I'll take the AFK'er.

Wait what? Are you saying ppl brag to AFK'ers with their dps? Did I get that right?

Not exactly, although I'd assume the AFK'ers see the parse numbers from the 'look at muh DPS!' bores when they post said results in chat.

I did encounter many AFKers (mostly in Azura Nebula Rescue Advanced) where they wouldn't move a bit but always taunt other players, saying stuff like "Thanks for the free run suckers, God you all suck, etc etc" Never saw anyone with that dps talk... perhaps not yet.

Do you know how easy it is to dump several groups of Tholians on them?
    Two birds in one strike: Afk-ers get hammered and tholians are far enough from rescue ships not to be a bother.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    questerius wrote: »
    darkblade... normally I don't argue with mods, but the hat isn't on right now. We're all equal right now.
    You're taking what I'm saying a bit more on the practical side. I'm leaning a bit more towards the ego side of some who are obsessed with their epeen performance. We actually had an incident here on the forums where someone got directed to a build guide over their build... and it was acutally the guy who WROTE said guide who got pointed to it!

On top of that... people WILL assume your build is terrible and will attack over it if so inclined if your "numbers" don't line up with some self percieved level requirement. Therein lies a problem because it could be that its NOT the build, but the player. But that doesn't matter to some people, its "get gud or gtfo". Someone might even just see Tetryon beams and assume they suck because its not the uber damage dealing metabuild of the week.

I'm not calling out the practicality of it. I'm calling out the Human side of it.

Like I said, we do need SOMETHING to deal with AFKers and toxic players in TFO runs. But at the same time we need to find a way to keep said system from being abused by elitists who get so bent out of shape if someone "drags their numbers down" in Infected. Because I hate to say it, but there are people in game who do that to varying degrees. And they don't care about your build other than the fact it is "obviously garbage" because you're not performing to their perceived level. Doesn't matter if you're a veteran or a rookie, you get the lash for insulting your superior by not performing as well or not using a "proper", by their definition, build. Anything that reduces their numbers is an insult. That could be you not having an optimized build, or it could be you having a megawell build that pulls things away from them while they're trying to alpha strike.

I'm not totally against having a vote kick. I'm just seeing how it can be abused in the current environment.

To be honest, at this point, I find staying away from ISA as much as possible (except when Random dumps me in there) benefical; because if there is anywhere you're going to find an Epeen waving Juggernaught pilot, its there.

Controversial opinion here, but given the choice of some OP epeen waving 'look at muh DPS' bore or an AFK'er, I'll take the AFK'er.

Wait what? Are you saying ppl brag to AFK'ers with their dps? Did I get that right?

Not exactly, although I'd assume the AFK'ers see the parse numbers from the 'look at muh DPS!' bores when they post said results in chat.

I did encounter many AFKers (mostly in Azura Nebula Rescue Advanced) where they wouldn't move a bit but always taunt other players, saying stuff like "Thanks for the free run suckers, God you all suck, etc etc" Never saw anyone with that dps talk... perhaps not yet.

Two birds in one strike: Afk-ers get hammered and tholians are far enough from rescue ships not to be a bother.

While a brilliant tactic, the afkers in most Azura Nebula use cloak and stay faaaar away from the ships. I feel like if there won't be a kick feature, the devs shud ensure at least the ignore feature should work correctly
  • Options
    doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,191 Arc User
    There are sooo many afk players simply standing still throughout the TFO just to get the reward. Please add a kick feature where players can vote to kick afk or grieving players
    I stand still through a few TFO's because I don't need to move to kill the enemy. Let's say Swarm, i play the first 2 parts and on the 3rd I just stand protecting my lane. Starbase One i just stand kill Klingons no need to fly around until the end. I often been talked to that I leech and that i m afk, yet I probably killed more then the person complaining. I think also that some people go afk because somebody is on the door, the phone is ringing by the end of the day its just a game and its not like you can't play the TFO's singlehanded. The whole system is a you get a reward for participation there is no difficulty no TFO you can't finish unless its bugged. I don't understand the point here. Are AFK people who are really afk and not even autofire / rotate ect... annoying ? Yeah maybe but why would I waste a single thought on if they get a reward or not? In this game there is no competition unless PVP which well is pretty dead. So I care less if somebody gets a reward box, if somebody opens a promobox and gets a ship. Maybe you need start asking yourself why that is such a big deal for you in a game where you can do almost everything single handed.

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • Options
    There are sooo many afk players simply standing still throughout the TFO just to get the reward. Please add a kick feature where players can vote to kick afk or grieving players
    I stand still through a few TFO's because I don't need to move to kill the enemy. Let's say Swarm, i play the first 2 parts and on the 3rd I just stand protecting my lane. Starbase One i just stand kill Klingons no need to fly around until the end. I often been talked to that I leech and that i m afk, yet I probably killed more then the person complaining. I think also that some people go afk because somebody is on the door, the phone is ringing by the end of the day its just a game and its not like you can't play the TFO's singlehanded. The whole system is a you get a reward for participation there is no difficulty no TFO you can't finish unless its bugged. I don't understand the point here. Are AFK people who are really afk and not even autofire / rotate ect... annoying ? Yeah maybe but why would I waste a single thought on if they get a reward or not? In this game there is no competition unless PVP which well is pretty dead. So I care less if somebody gets a reward box, if somebody opens a promobox and gets a ship. Maybe you need start asking yourself why that is such a big deal for you in a game where you can do almost everything single handed.

I do not have issues handling myself. My issue is people reaping rewards of someone else. If 3 people do all the work and 1 just stands there (no firing and anything) that person should not get any rewards. But either way I stand my ground. If there won't be a kick feature, at least ignoring a player should ensure you don't end up in the same team with that person again
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,325 Arc User

While a brilliant tactic, the afkers in most Azura Nebula use cloak and stay faaaar away from the ships. I feel like if there won't be a kick feature, the devs shud ensure at least the ignore feature should work correctly

The Tholian NPC's ignore cloak once aggro with their web so that's not a problem.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options

The Tholian NPC's ignore cloak once aggro with their web so that's not a problem.

How would I pull them to afkers tho? The only way I see that happen is that multi tractor beam ability :dizzy:
  • Options
    edited January 2021

I do not have issues handling myself. My issue is people reaping rewards of someone else. If 3 people do all the work and 1 just stands there (no firing and anything) that person should not get any rewards. But either way I stand my ground. If there won't be a kick feature, at least ignoring a player should ensure you don't end up in the same team with that person again

So...going by that logic, if 3 people do 90+% of the damage on the map and the other 2 players basically do nothing...why should they get the reward? Hell if ONE person does 90+% of the damage on the map, why should do the other 4 players get any rewards than. Yeah I have done maps where I ALONE have done 90+% of the damage on the map with the other 4 being in the 2-3% range to JUST avoid the AFK penalty in advanced maps. Going by your logic, vote kicking people who don't perform up to the elitists level means vote kicking them out is fine...it is not. You seriously don't see a problem with a play with my way or else?!? The devs have set a threshold for what they consider you are AFK, if the player is meeting that, than they met the requirements and that is that.

Oh no no you misunderstand. I am not saying anything like that. Performing bad in a TFO is no reason to be kicked! Hell the person can be a beginner, low on EC, could be having a bad day, etc. I am in no way saying we should kick bad performing players. I am talking about pure afkers. Those that do NOTHING, not even engage the enemy just stay at the same spot the whole TFO not even engaging. Just moving slightly to ensure they dont get dced. Hope that was a bit more clear.
  • Options

So...going by that logic, if 3 people do 90+% of the damage on the map and the other 2 players basically do nothing...why should they get the reward? Hell if ONE person does 90+% of the damage on the map, why should do the other 4 players get any rewards than. Yeah I have done maps where I ALONE have done 90+% of the damage on the map with the other 4 being in the 2-3% range to JUST avoid the AFK penalty in advanced maps. Going by your logic, vote kicking people who don't perform up to the elitists level means vote kicking them out is fine...it is not. You seriously don't see a problem with a play with my way or else?!? The devs have set a threshold for what they consider you are AFK, if the player is meeting that, than they met the requirements and that is that.

Oh no no you misunderstand. I am not saying anything like that. Performing bad in a TFO is no reason to be kicked! Hell the person can be a beginner, low on EC, could be having a bad day, etc. I am in no way saying we should kick bad performing players. I am talking about pure afkers. Those that do NOTHING, not even engage the enemy just stay at the same spot the whole TFO not even engaging. Just moving slightly to ensure they dont get dced. Hope that was a bit more clear.

So what do you consider pure AFK?
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • Options

Staying away from combat, possibly cloaking , not doing the missions and going on very low impulse to avoid being idle
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,716 Community Moderator
    Battle of Korfez and anything with a mandatory minimum would like to have a word with you on that one.

Folks shouldn't have to do 2092309482304918242398420398401928301275081428 DPS or whatever the current record is. But if a TFO requires everyone on the team to put forth 20k DPS at the minimum, and the person isn't meeting that 20k minimum, then they are not ready for that content and have no business being in that random queue until they up their game. If you have 4 people at the 20k minimum, and the 5th person is at only 10k DPS, then that 5th person not carrying their weight has guaranteed that run to fail because 10k DPS is missing from the team. That's not fair to the other 4 people in the run to be expected to carry the 5th guy. In that example the 5th guy is not ready yet, BUT will be given some proper time and learning. The group as a whole must be taken into account, and not just one guy. That's why I have also advocated for a Proving Grounds type of thing in addition to better tutorial type items.

Give people enough information to make a basic cohesive build and let them go from there. Not forcing a build, but give folks the info they need to make some basic builds and then decide from there what they want to do, and potentially get into more difficult content. As to how far up that ladder they want to go will be up to them. I'm willing to bet quite a few would agree that there's not enough critical information for folks to at least understand what each thing does. "Here's why it's a good idea to match weapon types" and some basic tips.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options

Staying away from combat, possibly cloaking , not doing the missions and going on very low impulse to avoid being idle
    Those people don't get rewarded though.
This discussion has been closed.