test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Discovery Season 3 Discussion *spoilers obviously*

1679111216

Comments

  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 2,632 Arc User
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    Some dialogue seemed to suggest Discovery being renamed to Discovery-A was a result of keeping their time hopping secret.

    I knew I wouldn't get my XRT-55D.

    I doubt if Kurtzman's bunch even know what an XRT-55D is.
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I doubt if Kurtzman's bunch even know what an XRT-55D is.

    They knew about benemite crystals and quantum slipstream drives. I'm pretty sure they know how to do their research, especially with Kirsten Beyer on the writing staff.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 2,632 Arc User
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I doubt if Kurtzman's bunch even know what an XRT-55D is.

    They knew about benemite crystals and quantum slipstream drives. I'm pretty sure they know how to do their research, especially with Kirsten Beyer on the writing staff.

    The thing is, how much do they actually listen to her? Or understand the context of what she says?. That can make quite a bit of difference.

    And as for quantum slipstream drives, that is one of the big reference points of VOY and a two second search would get them to the fact that it uses those crystals for anyone who does not know about them already, though that would be sort of like not knowing the wormhole in DS9 had timeless aliens in it.

    Conversely, the XRT-55D is rather obscure, it was shown a few times as a wireframe (and only actually talked about once) but you have to actively stop and examine it to read much of the display and a lot of viewers don't bother to really analyze ENT like that. And according to the behind the scenes interviews very few of the top DSC creative staff actually watched any of the Star Trek series, in fact some mentioned that they never saw anything but the movies so they would not have seen it even as a barely glanced at display.

    I would really like to see the ship in the game too, but with DSC altering the look of the future the same way they did with pre-TOS I doubt it will happen since there will probably be a stream of fugly DSC ships to do instead.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 10,415 Arc User
    DSC's future shios will be the ENT-J debacle all over: The ship(s) is(are) a poorly made rushjob for background fluff. Nobody really cares, however in STO the ships are the core aspect of the game. And they want it to be screen accurate. And so the poorly made rushjob becomes a 200$ prime item in the game.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    > @angrytarg said:
    > DSC's future shios will be the ENT-J debacle all over: The ship(s) is(are) a poorly made rushjob for background fluff. Nobody really cares, however in STO the ships are the core aspect of the game. And they want it to be screen accurate. And so the poorly made rushjob becomes a 200$ prime item in the game.

    Dont you be dissing that beautiful J boyo
  • shadowfang240shadowfang240 Member Posts: 35,849 Arc User
    the STO J ISN'T accurate to what's seen on screen though - cryptic's version actually has detail​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

    RIP Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, Rayshard Brooks & Calvin Munerlyn

    blacklivesmatter.png

    #LegalizeAwoo

    A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"


    "It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."

    "Curiosity is bad! It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed...and more importantly, it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 14,378 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    I didn't find the main plot of this episode very interesting. It took a direction that I was happier that they'd been slightly moving away from - namely over-focus on Burham. And I have to admit, I found the way everyone accepted what Burham was saying based on her 'confession' and, basically, saying "forget my request" a little hard to beleive.

    Personal preference, but I've enjoyed the episodes that have given other characters a chance to shine more - and this episode kinda tried to do that (the XO Tilly sub-plot) but the main story overwhelmed it.
    Post edited by reyan01 on


  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,462 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I didn't find the main plot of this episode very interesting. It took a direction that I was happier that they'd been slightly moving away from - namely over-focus on Burham. And I have to admit, I found the way everyone accepted what Burham was saying based on her 'confession' and, basically, saying "forget my request" a little hard to beleive.

    Personal preference, but I've enjoyed the episodes that have given other characters a chance to shine more - and this episode kinda tried to do that (the XO Tilly sub-plot) but the main story overwhelmed it.

    So much this. Burham gets so tiresome. The way she wispers and whines her way through 90% of her dialogue, I whished she would leave Discovery for good and give others a chance to shine. Nobody is nearly as annoying as her.

    And what about making the least qualified, least experienced and most anxious person on the entire ship the new first officer? It's just getting silly now...
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I didn't find the main plot of this episode very interesting. It took a direction that I was happier that they'd been slightly moving away from - namely over-focus on Burham. And I have to admit, I found the way everyone accepted what Burham was saying based on her 'confession' and, basically, saying "forget my request" a little hard to beleive.

    Personal preference, but I've enjoyed the episodes that have given other characters a chance to shine more - and this episode kinda tried to do that (the XO Tilly sub-plot) but the main story overwhelmed it.

    So much this. Burham gets so tiresome. The way she wispers and whines her way through 90% of her dialogue, I whished she would leave Discovery for good and give others a chance to shine. Nobody is nearly as annoying as her.

    And what about making the least qualified, least experienced and most anxious person on the entire ship the new first officer? It's just getting silly now...

    The MB persona, what was the intent in its representation? From the time of her appearance, to how she deals with things...I realized at some point, she was broken. And I should layout that reason.

    Traumatized at the loss of her parents.

    She almost died from critical injuries, but was saved by an Essence sharing of a Sarak's Katra *and to this day, that was never extracted from her*

    Shares a life with a Vulcan family from her preteens to earlier adulthood. *Meanwhile her own bio mom watched from afar*

    She goes through the equivalent of human/Vulcan mental discipline teachings, which suppresses her own trauma, meanwhile she deals with 'Spock' mental issues while growing up.

    As she progresses to early adulthood showing potential at exceeding in her studies...she gets another 'trauma' effect, she was denied on advancing further into the Vulcan Academy Hall of Science--that privilege went to Spock *and he turned it down for Starfleet* And because... she is Human.

    Sarak later finds a Fed ship and put her there, to learn on how interact with others of her own kind...*since Vulcan was no longer a place for her*

    Spent the first 7 years of life, learning Federation directives and protocols, and get a commission of an officer rank at the end of it. *Never once she has been to Starfleet academy before that*

    She causes a war with the Klingons *due to her personal bias and trauma from her past* Cause a lot of deaths indirectly, including her mentor. And the rest you know if you watched the past seasons.

    And the big question that came to my mind...she got in, as privileged person at first, but later as the story progressed, was she an experiment by Sarak to see how a human born, taught in a Vulcan mindset can function in a proper setting?

    They never showed how she adjusted to the loss of her original family, she got traumatized again she was denied to excel further into the Hall of Science. And oh, had a fallen out with her foster brother for a time.

    What is shown here, anything of importance in her life...is simply taken away brutally...and I suspect she never heal properly back on Vulcan, never got the nourishing aspect to cope with loss. And now let lose in the universe, with a human/vulcan soul/essence mix and all the tendencies of being a smart TRIBBLE, with no mental guidance on how to apply it in a proper frame.

    She wants it done now, and doesn't care how it accomplished.

    And we or some of us...are suppose to except like it is normal?


    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 10 year journey
    49158602353_d7aa42e67a_w.jpg


  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 9,290 Arc User
    Michael Burnham is broken. The fact that she's a fundamentally decent person after all that is truly amazing, but there's a reason why Saru dismissed her as his first officer - she's too rash, in part because she's broken. She only just began to realize herself this last episode that she's been repeatedly traumatized, losing family after family (her parents killed - as far as she knew, anyway - her adoptive parents never knowing what to do with her, losing her Shenzhou family due to her rashness, her brother going missing, then losing her entire universe, believing she can make it because of her Discovery family, only to lose them with no assurance she'd ever see them again (there was no way to know if the ship would appear in the same millenium she was in)...). And this was apparently before Starfleet made Ship's Counselor a dedicated posting, so even if she decided to seek help, the best she's got is Hugh Culber. He's a nice guy, but I don't think psychology is his main focus.

    I know you're used to the heroes of Trek shows being guys who've got their tribble together, but she's not one of those guys. Michael Burnham is a stone mess. Only reason I can possibly ship her and Book is because he's pretty broken too, and maybe they can find a way to glue each other back together - I've seen it work IRL. Other than that, I'd suggest any man, woman, or other considering a close personal relationship with her might want to start running now.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 10,415 Arc User
    I think Burnham's role were originally multiple characters which got folded into one during the development process of the show. She's Janeway-level all over the place.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,473 Arc User
    the STO J ISN'T accurate to what's seen on screen though - cryptic's version actually has detail​​

    And it will be interesting how many 32nd Century ships are improved by Cryptic.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 2,632 Arc User
    The fact that so far the "future" ships seem to be little more than quick slap together models made up of simple geometric shape slices with very little actual detail work makes me wonder how long they actually plan to keep the series there.
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 9,034 Arc User
    The fact that so far the "future" ships seem to be little more than quick slap together models made up of simple geometric shape slices with very little actual detail work makes me wonder how long they actually plan to keep the series there.
    they have said there are no plans to return to the past.

    Discovery has never put much detail into ships beyond the Discovery, Sarcophagus, Enterprise, and D7, since none of them ever really factor in.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,473 Arc User
    The fact that so far the "future" ships seem to be little more than quick slap together models made up of simple geometric shape slices with very little actual detail work makes me wonder how long they actually plan to keep the series there.
    they have said there are no plans to return to the past.

    Discovery has never put much detail into ships beyond the Discovery, Sarcophagus, Enterprise, and D7, since none of them ever really factor in.

    Plans change. However, if Discovery's crew returns to the past, then it would be without the Discovery. There is still the Section 31 series with Empress Georgiou, but we don't know if it is set before Discovery travels to the 32nd Century, set during the 32nd Century, or involves Empress Georgiou and maybe a few others to travel to the 23rd or 24th Century. So until we know the fate of Empress Georgiou at the end of Season 3, then there is no way to know now if she won't return to the past.
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 14,378 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    szim wrote: »
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I didn't find the main plot of this episode very interesting. It took a direction that I was happier that they'd been slightly moving away from - namely over-focus on Burham. And I have to admit, I found the way everyone accepted what Burham was saying based on her 'confession' and, basically, saying "forget my request" a little hard to beleive.

    Personal preference, but I've enjoyed the episodes that have given other characters a chance to shine more - and this episode kinda tried to do that (the XO Tilly sub-plot) but the main story overwhelmed it.

    So much this. Burham gets so tiresome. The way she wispers and whines her way through 90% of her dialogue, I whished she would leave Discovery for good and give others a chance to shine. Nobody is nearly as annoying as her.

    And what about making the least qualified, least experienced and most anxious person on the entire ship the new first officer? It's just getting silly now...

    With regards Tilly's promotion in position, I don't know. I mean, she's proven she can rise to the occasion when the situation demands it. For example, when she had to fake being Captain Killy she played the part perfectly (at least after she'd received motivation to do so).

    I think Tilly, much like Burham (although to a lesser extent) is another 'broken' person - she clearly had a troubled upbringing and received little in the way of parental support. However, again, she does have an underlying confidence and capability about her that we've seen on occasion, and it seems as if Saru is trying to nurture those aspects somewhat.

    And honestly? Whilst this situation may be a little hard to swallow for some, I don't really see how it is any worse than Wesley, who didn't even have any sort of commission (or at least not one he'd earned), being permitted to fly the Enterprise-D. TNG doesn't get some free pass here because of how revered it is by many.

    And an even better example? Nothing (in my opinion) tops the sheer unbeleivable ridiculousness of Kelvin timeline Kirk being promoted from Cadet to Captain.


  • shadowfang240shadowfang240 Member Posts: 35,849 Arc User
    except the sheer unbelievable ridiculousness of the player being promoted from cadet to captain (or worse, from CIVILIAN to captain in the romulan case)

    and you can't claim extenuating circumstances in STO's case, because that was there in the KT movies too​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

    RIP Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, Rayshard Brooks & Calvin Munerlyn

    blacklivesmatter.png

    #LegalizeAwoo

    A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"


    "It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."

    "Curiosity is bad! It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed...and more importantly, it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,179 Arc User
    except the sheer unbelievable ridiculousness of the player being promoted from cadet to captain (or worse, from CIVILIAN to captain in the romulan case)

    and you can't claim extenuating circumstances in STO's case, because that was there in the KT movies too​​

    Well, I disagree a little. Players in STO are given captaincy of a Miranda class ship (at least originally.) That is basically like making someone captain of a rowboat. Giving them captain of a first class ship of the line, like KT Kirk, is a lot harder to swallow.

    In the Romulan case, well, you're not military, you're essentially a privateer so your rules are all that matter on your ship.


    As for ST:D why doesn't Starfleet put a 32nd century officer as first officer? Don't they need someone with actual experience in the tech, politics, and issues of the time period? (Maybe someone who can explain why Vulcan apparently has a moon now?)
  • shadowfang240shadowfang240 Member Posts: 35,849 Arc User
    it's not supposed to, according to MA, though they note it has 'close planetary companions'...whatever that means - i guess maybe it has an orbit-locked planet nearby​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

    RIP Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, Rayshard Brooks & Calvin Munerlyn

    blacklivesmatter.png

    #LegalizeAwoo

    A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"


    "It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."

    "Curiosity is bad! It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed...and more importantly, it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,555 Arc User
    Both Zachary Quinto and Ethan Peck grow up to be Leonard Nemoy.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    I never once suggested whatsoever that Romulan ships were powered by dilithium. I said they were powered by artificial singularities and to the best of my knowledge, there was never a mention anywhere in a canon source that said they require dilithium for anything.
    Val, you are missing the important question. Whether or not Romulans use dilithium for FTL is irrelevant. The important question is:

    Does Mecha-Cthulu use dilithium for FTL?

    If an android summons a mechanical horror from the void beyond the stars, will it answer? Will it end all meat-bag life in the universe? Can it? Will it be forced to waggle it's mecha-dentrites like flagella in an undignified manner as it slowly swims from planet to planet?

    These are the real questions posed by the Burn. Everything else is a waste of brainspace.
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 9,034 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    An interesting, though not very informative episode.

    We did learn the origin of the Burn, the Verubin Nebula. We also learn there is apparently a Starfleet ship distress signal coming from the nebula, which has become warped by various spacial things to become the song everyone has heard.
    Post edited by somtaawkhar on
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 9,290 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Also Adira announcing themself as nonbinary, much like their actor. I was wondering why the Powers What Is kept crowing about representation, given that while Blu themself is nonbinary, Adira had been designated as a her. Cool to see them assert themself.

    I do wonder whether the ship in distress was a victim of the Burn, or managed to cause it via interaction with the signals from the pulsar. I am also curious about what's going on with Georgiou - apparently she actually is suffering spatial distortions during her episodes, it's not just indicating what she feels like. And are the phenomena linked somehow? Could the signal that caused the Burn be somehow causing anyone from the Mirror Universe to... decohere?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 2,932 Arc User
    The preview for next week’s episode was very interesting to say the least
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,473 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Also Adira announcing themself as nonbinary, much like their actor. I was wondering why the Powers What Is kept crowing about representation, given that while Blu themself is nonbinary, Adira had been designated as a her. Cool to see them assert themself.

    I do wonder whether the ship in distress was a victim of the Burn, or managed to cause it via interaction with the signals from the pulsar. I am also curious about what's going on with Georgiou - apparently she actually is suffering spatial distortions during her episodes, it's not just indicating what she feels like. And are the phenomena linked somehow? Could the signal that caused the Burn be somehow causing anyone from the Mirror Universe to... decohere?

    Considering that Adira has a bunch of previous hosts in her consciousness, then they and them are perfect pronouns for Adira Tal. It has nothing to do with being nonbinary. As far as we know, the only person within Adira Tal that is nonbinary is Tal since each host is male or female. The closest in reality to Adira Tal is people with multiple personality disorder that can interact with each personality not nonbinary individuals. So would a person with multiple personality disorder be nonbinary since they switch between only male and female personalities or would it require a nonbinary personality in order for that person to be nonbinary?

  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 9,034 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    jonsills wrote: »
    I do wonder whether the ship in distress was a victim of the Burn, or managed to cause it via interaction with the signals from the pulsar. I am also curious about what's going on with Georgiou - apparently she actually is suffering spatial distortions during her episodes, it's not just indicating what she feels like. And are the phenomena linked somehow? Could the signal that caused the Burn be somehow causing anyone from the Mirror Universe to... decohere?
    I am going to guess the ship is the USS Discovery from the Calypso short. It being left there 1,000 years ago, at the origin of The Burn, to be there when it happened, and record data on it.


    Also, the Ready Room preview for the next episode has glasses man explain that they discovered during the Temporal Wars that excessive time travel can make one very sick, as a person's molecules are designed to function in the time they were created. While everyone on the Discovery traveled through time, and is fine, Phillipa is suffering problems not just because of the time travel, but also due to the fact she jumped universes.

    Glasses man shows a hologram of a Betelgeusian time soldier, who had crossed over from the Kelvin timeline, and had the same problems Phillipa has. Him being the only known person, before Phillipa, to have traveled both through time, and between universes, to such a degree. He explains that her molecules are struggling to either go back in time, or jump the cosmic divide back to her universe.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 2,632 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    I do wonder whether the ship in distress was a victim of the Burn, or managed to cause it via interaction with the signals from the pulsar. I am also curious about what's going on with Georgiou - apparently she actually is suffering spatial distortions during her episodes, it's not just indicating what she feels like. And are the phenomena linked somehow? Could the signal that caused the Burn be somehow causing anyone from the Mirror Universe to... decohere?
    I am going to guess the ship is the USS Discovery from the Calypso short. It being left there 1,000 years ago, at the origin of The Burn, to be there when it happened, and record data on it.


    Also, the Ready Room preview for the next episode has glasses man explain that they discovered during the Temporal Wars that excessive time travel can make one very sick, as a person's molecules are designed to function in the time they were created. While everyone on the Discovery traveled through time, and is fine, Phillipa is suffering problems not just because of the time travel, but also due to the fact she jumped universes.

    Glasses man shows a hologram of a Betelgeusian time soldier, who had crossed over from the Kelvin timeline, and had the same problems Phillipa has. Him being the only known person, before Phillipa, to have traveled both through time, and between universes, to such a degree. He explains that her molecules are struggling to either go back in time, or jump the cosmic divide back to her universe.

    So that is how they plan to get her back for the Section 31 series if it ever makes to to air. So far they have taken the most obvious (and least compatible) option for every "twist" they think will surprise the viewers. Pathetic.

    They also don't seem to realize that Discovery has jumped dimensions hundreds of times in spore travel since they leave prime and travel though the quantum fungus realm before popping back into prime (or elsewhere like mirror). Also that "designed to function in the time they are created" would mean some entropy effect and even normal warp drive plays games with time dilation which would mess that up.

    By that logic someone who has traveled to much in warp should have their molecules try to get back to their homeworld or jump into the future to follow the amount of time their FTL travel would have taken at sublight or some similar nonsense. I know Trek is not hard sci-fi, but DSC is a total space fairy tail.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,179 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    jonsills wrote: »
    I do wonder whether the ship in distress was a victim of the Burn, or managed to cause it via interaction with the signals from the pulsar. I am also curious about what's going on with Georgiou - apparently she actually is suffering spatial distortions during her episodes, it's not just indicating what she feels like. And are the phenomena linked somehow? Could the signal that caused the Burn be somehow causing anyone from the Mirror Universe to... decohere?
    I am going to guess the ship is the USS Discovery from the Calypso short. It being left there 1,000 years ago, at the origin of The Burn, to be there when it happened, and record data on it.


    Also, the Ready Room preview for the next episode has glasses man explain that they discovered during the Temporal Wars that excessive time travel can make one very sick, as a person's molecules are designed to function in the time they were created. While everyone on the Discovery traveled through time, and is fine, Phillipa is suffering problems not just because of the time travel, but also due to the fact she jumped universes.

    Glasses man shows a hologram of a Betelgeusian time soldier, who had crossed over from the Kelvin timeline, and had the same problems Phillipa has. Him being the only known person, before Phillipa, to have traveled both through time, and between universes, to such a degree. He explains that her molecules are struggling to either go back in time, or jump the cosmic divide back to her universe.


    Honestly that's just absurd. Star Trek has already embraced the theory of quantum universes, see TNG Parallels. Every possible divergence creates a new universe, and time travel caused divergences do the exact same thing, see ST 2009, VOY Endgame. And this should affect everything, not just people, if it is at the quantum level. How about those whales from ST4 Voyage Home, the USS Bozeman, or the Doctor's mobile emitter, all permanently displaced in time and thus universes as well?

    This is really really dumb, and not remotely thought out, if it is as you describe.
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 14,378 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    I am going to guess the ship is the USS Discovery from the Calypso short. It being left there 1,000 years ago, at the origin of The Burn, to be there when it happened, and record data on it.

    Yeah - I thought the same thing. Certainly the facts that Discovery was in a nebula and powered-down in 'Calypso' also support this theory.

    Although the fact that the Discovery we saw in 'Calypso' appeared to be in its pre-refit state does raise a few interesting questions.
    Post edited by reyan01 on


  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 9,290 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    starkaos wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    Also Adira announcing themself as nonbinary, much like their actor. I was wondering why the Powers What Is kept crowing about representation, given that while Blu themself is nonbinary, Adira had been designated as a her. Cool to see them assert themself.

    I do wonder whether the ship in distress was a victim of the Burn, or managed to cause it via interaction with the signals from the pulsar. I am also curious about what's going on with Georgiou - apparently she actually is suffering spatial distortions during her episodes, it's not just indicating what she feels like. And are the phenomena linked somehow? Could the signal that caused the Burn be somehow causing anyone from the Mirror Universe to... decohere?

    Considering that Adira has a bunch of previous hosts in her consciousness, then they and them are perfect pronouns for Adira Tal. It has nothing to do with being nonbinary.
    SARU: (referencing Adira's signal-interpretation algorithm) How long will that take?

    STAMETS: Not more than a few hours. She's pretty fast.

    SARU: Update me the moment you have something, Commander.

    STAMETS: Of course.

    (Saru and Tilly leave, Adira bends over console. A beat.)

    ADIRA: (looking up from console) They're fast.

    STAMETS: Who?

    ADIRA: Um - "they", not "she". I've never felt like a "she", or - or a "her", so I would prefer "they" or "them" from now on.

    STAMETS: Okay.

    ADIRA: And... I've never told anyone but Grey.

    (Stamets smiles)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
Sign In or Register to comment.