test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not a fan of the new Sythn wave TFO

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I've been listening to some Sabaton songs while doing the TFO. Mostly things like The Lost Battalion and The Last Stand. Things that kinda fit the scenario.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    I think the idea was good but then the translation was horrific and boring. More timers, more repetitive stuff oh and did I mention more timers. I don't even care if its bugged or not anymore its just boring and probably now one of the top AFK TFO's.

Why do you upgrade your gear if you can't use it to your advantage. I can play all this stuff with white mk ii gear... But yeah I'm not a fan of the new TFO however the idea behind wasn't bad.

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I've been running the TFO for about a week now... I haven't really seen any AFKers. Honestly saw more during Mirror Invasion.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    I am just happy I can do the episode for this event. It may not be as fun as Quark's Lucky Seven ferenginar's elite strike squad, but its still a decent episode.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    I usually spend most of it under cloak transporting people around without firing a shot (the synth sensors must be horrible, they never detect me doing that no matter how close they are). Then during the protection phase I make up enough damage not to get the AFK penalty. What I don't understand is why some people just fly around shooting things at random and ignoring the rescue crew/activate ships objective when the scoring at the end makes it plain that it is the only important thing in the scenario.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    I usually spend most of it under cloak transporting people around without firing a shot (the synth sensors must be horrible, they never detect me doing that no matter how close they are). Then during the protection phase I make up enough damage not to get the AFK penalty. What I don't understand is why some people just fly around shooting things at random and ignoring the rescue crew/activate ships objective when the scoring at the end makes it plain that it is the only important thing in the scenario.

Do ships still get stuck? Because if they still get stuck, that's why they don't activate ships. Stuck ships just make the whole thing take longer.

No, they fixed that problem already. And even then it was mostly the transports that were a problem (I still don't transport to them much), the fighting ships rarely got stuck because as the ship they were chasing when they hit the station got further away the enemy ships behind them made them turn around and pull away from the station. The transports on the other hand were seeking the fixed point at the end of their corridors so if they hit the station they just stuck there until the scenario ended.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    I have been playing it solo for the last four runs and find I like it much more that way and it ends in less than 15 minutes. I have grown accustomed to the music and pay no attention to it in the background. All and all I can say I like this TFO now.

how are you playing it solo?
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • gulremalgulremal Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I have been playing it solo for the last four runs and find I like it much more that way and it ends in less than 15 minutes. I have grown accustomed to the music and pay no attention to it in the background. All and all I can say I like this TFO now.

how are you playing it solo?

Private queue for this one can be played solo

Yup and you can stay entire mission under the cloak at starting position, and grab your daily 55 complimentary marks and event progress.
    I am not risking that, cause if it is unwanted(by the devs) its an exploit. Exploits can result in bans. Had friends get banned in similar situation on other mmos - they also didnt realise what they were doing was an exploit. My advice would be to get confirmation(kael, borticus or somehow, that this isnt an exploit)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    even if it is an exploit, cryptic doesn't ban for minor ones - they'll just patch it out and call it a day, like how they patched the ability to see what random TFO you would be getting before you actually launched into the map​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Since this is the first time we had synths as enemies, I guessing they might be adding synths to the game and by that I don't mean as Boffs or Doffs, what I'm getting at is synth captains, a lot of players really wanted to play as Soong-type androids when this game first came out but CBS said no, maybe they changed their minds.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    I've been very tempted to sit by the station put a coffee cup on the spacebar and walk away for 15 minutes.. that or just buy the damn thing out.. onjly thing is I don't know if the set is even WORTH all this

As much as I hate leeches...just do the coffee cup...they want you to buy it out, that is their goal with this debacle. They want you to open your wallets because that is ALL they care about anymore
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I've been running the TFO for about a week now... I haven't really seen any AFKers. Honestly saw more during Mirror Invasion.

I don't know if there are a ton of afk'ers...but sure seems to be times where a lot of people are just sitting around pewpewing instead of rescuing people and transporting them to ships. Yesterday's run we had to have lost half a dozen ships or more from the circle collapses
  • radonneradonne Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    duasyn wrote: »
    Played it for the first time today. It's average, but then considering the idea of the TFO, not sure what they could do to make it better. I appreciate a TFO that's not just "KILL STUFF!!" but for what we're doing, it does seem a bit long. And I assume it's a no-fail on a timer so you just do stuff and wait for it to end. Not sure which event I want to do for my daily requirement. I've already done the other mission 9 times (once of each alt) but might prefer additional runs of that vs any more of the Synth Attack? *shrugs* Depends if I want more than 1 of the sniper polearm weapon per toon...

The simple solution? Have the ring shrink like now...but the mission ends when you save X number of transports. No collecting at the star base and have a run...no min time limit. When you save say 40 transports, the map ends.

Just so. The whole TFO design was focused way to much on the time gates and way to little on the actual gameplay.

-R
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    lianthelia wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »

I don't know if there are a ton of afk'ers...but sure seems to be times where a lot of people are just sitting around pewpewing instead of rescuing people and transporting them to ships. Yesterday's run we had to have lost half a dozen ships or more from the circle collapses
    Its sort of understandable as its more fun to play like that and makes the TFO go faster. Its just how I play when I solo it. This is one of those TFO's where you get punished for playing correctly as it takes much longer.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    I does not make the STF go faster by any means, because every phase is timegated.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    My go to music during the souless slog of this stf is the transformers 2006 (the animated one, not the foresaken Bayformer ones) OST - flying a bop to 'The Touch' and 'Dare to be stupid' makes it a little more palatable

That said, doing it to Dragonforce 'through the fire and the flames' or bat out of hell (max length version) is a close second
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    I does not make the STF go faster by any means, because every phase is timegated.
    I was under the impression from what other people said that the timegate is longer when you save more people and ships. By never pressing the F key the TFO goes faster?

Though because there is no advanced or Elite version and I have gone from having fun blowing stuff up, to now getting bored so starting the TFO and walking out the room until it finishes. Same results.

• jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    I was under the impression from what other people said that the timegate is longer when you save more people and ships. By never pressing the F key the TFO goes faster?

Nope. As I said, every phase is timegated whether you save people or not, with the difference being that the last one doesn't have a visible counter like the others.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Took a few days off from the TFO, finishing the daily event through the mission.
    Tried the TFO today, still a thoroughly unpleasant experience.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    i don't even get why the transports are gathering at the starbase anyway...they should be hauling TRIBBLE away from mars at best possible speed - unless they're evacuating the station, but then why are the reactivated combat ships staying behind in that case?​​
    Not sure I understand this either.

To be honest, the whole scenario we are presented with seems like a lesson in how NOT to deal with a crisis of that nature.

I mean, why are WE beaming survivors up only the dump them on another ship?! Why is our ship not a viable safe-haven?!
    Why do the combat-worthy ships sit in drydock waiting for either A: a sufficent number of suvivors to be dumped on them or B: death. So stupid.

Don't get me started on the music... i just loaded the real version of the song to see how it feels, and changes the ambient a lot.. not that HIDEOUS fm music!!... god, i hate syntetised music!!!, hate it!!... i miss my Gravis Ultrasound..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    edited October 2020
    gaevsman wrote: »
    reyan01 wrote: »
    i don't even get why the transports are gathering at the starbase anyway...they should be hauling TRIBBLE away from mars at best possible speed - unless they're evacuating the station, but then why are the reactivated combat ships staying behind in that case?​​
    Not sure I understand this either.

To be honest, the whole scenario we are presented with seems like a lesson in how NOT to deal with a crisis of that nature.

I mean, why are WE beaming survivors up only the dump them on another ship?! Why is our ship not a viable safe-haven?!
    Why do the combat-worthy ships sit in drydock waiting for either A: a sufficent number of suvivors to be dumped on them or B: death. So stupid.

Don't get me started on the music... i just loaded the real version of the song to see how it feels, and changes the ambient a lot.. not that HIDEOUS fm music!!... god, i hate syntetised music!!!, hate it!!... i miss my Gravis Ultrasound..

And yet...the music is the best(or least bad) part of this TFO

Its the absolute worst worst (space) TFO since I returned to STO in late 2017 aka definitely the worst in 3 years time worth of content

I guess not everything can be good, they can have hits and misses, but none of the team behind tried it to see if its fun? and that before we take into account it launched in a mess of bugs
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    For me, my biggest complaint is the music. It needs to go! Sure, I can turn the music off but it turns off the music for the whole game. I like some of the in-game music but this TFO I would prefer had none over the nails on a chalkboard stuff it currently has.

I think the way to improve it would be the length. As it currently is, maybe that could be more of the Elite side just with much harder enemies. Make an Advanced version that takes away one of the rescue phases to bring it down to two instead of three. Shorten the last onslaught of enemies as well with less damage than Elite. For Normal, I would like to see only a single phase of rescues. Keep the enemies the way they are now and significantly reduce the wave after wave of spam at the end. That way, I think most people would find a variant they would enjoy. 20 days is definitely way too long for this grind!

Agreed, the music for this TFO sounds like an 8-bit MIDI file from a late 1980s era DOS game when sound cards first came out for PCs; compared to the majority of other BGM in the game (some of which I quite like).

Excuse me, but. o_O

The music that played for me was Mars by Gustav Holst. Written in 1915.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmk5frp6-3Q

Did you guys hear something different? Because that was an orchestra.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    people are complaining about the STO version, not the original - the original is fine, at least to me​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    feiqa wrote: »
    jcsww wrote: »
    For me, my biggest complaint is the music. It needs to go! Sure, I can turn the music off but it turns off the music for the whole game. I like some of the in-game music but this TFO I would prefer had none over the nails on a chalkboard stuff it currently has.

I think the way to improve it would be the length. As it currently is, maybe that could be more of the Elite side just with much harder enemies. Make an Advanced version that takes away one of the rescue phases to bring it down to two instead of three. Shorten the last onslaught of enemies as well with less damage than Elite. For Normal, I would like to see only a single phase of rescues. Keep the enemies the way they are now and significantly reduce the wave after wave of spam at the end. That way, I think most people would find a variant they would enjoy. 20 days is definitely way too long for this grind!

Agreed, the music for this TFO sounds like an 8-bit MIDI file from a late 1980s era DOS game when sound cards first came out for PCs; compared to the majority of other BGM in the game (some of which I quite like).

Excuse me, but. o_O

The music that played for me was Mars by Gustav Holst. Written in 1915.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmk5frp6-3Q

Did you guys hear something different? Because that was an orchestra.

Yes, in a midi form, but it is The Planets.. the midi is hideous... and that is what is playing in the TFO... wish they would put the one in the video.. it would be epic.. but no... i hate midi!!!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
This discussion has been closed.