test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Best carrier? best overall pets?

Comments

• Options
    chrisevans34chrisevans34 Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    hey guys, so new one for you's for those carriers lovers out there, whats your @IGN can get adding wouldnt mind doing some stuff with other fellow carrier lovers :)
  • Options
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Superior Area Denial is great with beam pets too. It's just a good all-around pet trait especially with tactical flyers that field six beam arrays. Giving them all FAW1 improves their output substantially when fighting groups of enemies.

Keep in mind that SAD triggers not only off FAW but also CSV. You don't need cannons to use CSV to trigger SAD.

true, but the thing is, being how i use my abilities, i just cycle thru trays 9 & 10 using a button, it would activate both at the same time, hence the global cd thing, with 2 beamover loads every 15 seconds its activated just dont get why BFAW is 20sec global cd and BO is 15secs global cd :(
  • Options
    just gone thru all of them, BO, CSV & CRF all have 15 secs Global cooldown, but BFAW has 20 secs global cooldown :(
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Lost souls and jem gunboats are nicely proactive about hunting their targets, something they share with the rommie drones. A lot of the others might be that way if they didn't have abilities that they start using as soon as red alert is triggered regardless of the range they are from the target.

The new support frigates are woefully sluggish at following a player anyway but if you make the mistake of targetting an enemy 20km away from you (and therefore 30km+ from them) they'll decide that's close enough to trigger alert status and due to the range and not being able to shoot they'll just sit able spamming whatever it is they spam and not making any meaningful progress towards the target. Ideally this could be countered by using recall and deploy but as hangar commands are a coin toss whether they work or not you might find yourself with pets sat in their bay refusing to move and unable to summon more until you can drop from combat in order to dump and re-slot the offending pet.
  • Options
    ok so the Elite jem attack ships better choice for my jem dreadnought/support carriers? thanks im a lil confused lol
  • Options
    There is no best pet and carrier though there are top tier and trash tier. Drone Ships and Lost Souls are top tier. Squadrons are top tier but behind drones and souls. 2nd best carrier for me is the Xindi Carrier and all 3 types of Xindi pets. Best carrier for me is the Vorgon Ryn'kodan but best carrier is a personally thing based on play style. The Voth Carrier and both Jem carriers are top tier as well. The new rom carrier is top tier purely from how amazing Drone ships are. Take away drone ships and use other pets and its a middle tier carrier.

From what I remember from testing Tactical Flyer Squadrons are middle tier. Pretty good but not as good as the top pets.

https://www.sto-league.com/a-brief-guide-to-getting-the-most-out-of-hanger-pets/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/iflimr/dps_comparison_of_various_hangar_pets_including/

Lots of data there for best pet. Best DPS pet changes based on traits used, bridge officer powers used and map being played.

see how you have said those are top tier, can we talk about universal top tier pets? like a really good vivable frigate i can use on ANY carrier, like my miracle worker D7 carrier? thanks
  • Options
    leemwatson wrote: »
    I hate to disagree with the others, but the best C-Store Carriers are BOTH of the Jem'hadar characters, providing you stick to a Polaron build. The 2 Wingmen pack a big punch, and you can use the Squadran hangars or Frigates on top of that. Obviously the actual best Carrier is the Donnie.

question why would you need to stick with Polaron weapons? thanks
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    leemwatson wrote: »
    I hate to disagree with the others, but the best C-Store Carriers are BOTH of the Jem'hadar characters, providing you stick to a Polaron build. The 2 Wingmen pack a big punch, and you can use the Squadran hangars or Frigates on top of that. Obviously the actual best Carrier is the Donnie.

question why would you need to stick with Polaron weapons? thanks

I would like to know that as well. There is nothing on either ship that is specific to Polaron builds. The only reason to keep them polaron is if you want them to be authentic to Jem'Hadar or if you want your pets and your carrier to share the same energy type since Wingmen always use Polaon.

Any energy type is fine on those ships.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,988 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    There was an impression that polaron tactical consoles buff the wingmen. Doesn't mean you have to use polaron but that doing so increases their damage.

Would that mean that using polaron is an optimal choice ? :smile:
  • Options
    protoneous wrote: »
    There was an impression that polaron tactical consoles buff the wingmen.

Yes and No.

It buffs their strafing maneuver, but that's all I know of. Hardly worth pinning yourself to a specific energy type. They also benefit from +Damage stuff like the DPRM as well, so it's not just limited to Polaron. I don't think it buffs their regular attacks, I'll have to look it up.

I do use Polaron on my Jem Carrier because it looks cool.. but I certainly wouldn't say you're required to. :smile:
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    There is no best pet and carrier though there are top tier and trash tier. Drone Ships and Lost Souls are top tier. Squadrons are top tier but behind drones and souls. 2nd best carrier for me is the Xindi Carrier and all 3 types of Xindi pets. Best carrier for me is the Vorgon Ryn'kodan but best carrier is a personally thing based on play style. The Voth Carrier and both Jem carriers are top tier as well. The new rom carrier is top tier purely from how amazing Drone ships are. Take away drone ships and use other pets and its a middle tier carrier.

From what I remember from testing Tactical Flyer Squadrons are middle tier. Pretty good but not as good as the top pets.

https://www.sto-league.com/a-brief-guide-to-getting-the-most-out-of-hanger-pets/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/iflimr/dps_comparison_of_various_hangar_pets_including/

Lots of data there for best pet. Best DPS pet changes based on traits used, bridge officer powers used and map being played.

see how you have said those are top tier, can we talk about universal top tier pets? like a really good vivable frigate i can use on ANY carrier, like my miracle worker D7 carrier? thanks
    As far as I recall there are no top tier universal Frigates. The only universal Frigates I can think off are bottom tier and in the case of the Elite Yukawa Frigates the worst pet in game from a DPS point of view.

The top universal pets among fed would be the new Elite squadrons followed by Elite Mirror Universe Shuttle, Elite Class F Shuttlecraft, Advanced Peregrine Fighters and I think its universal but needs checking the Elite Aeon Timeships. Not a fan myself as they die fast but Elite Obelisk Swarmers and Elite Class C Shuttle can put out good DPS when you use FaW with Gravity Well.

Please note the above list is not a strict order of best to worst. That changes based on traits used, piloting, powers used and map being played. Its more with have a list of good pets and bed pats over a strict list of best to worst.

• Options
    just really being trying to think what other pets i can use on my Rommie/KDF toon which has the Awesome D7 carrier :)
  • Options
    As far as I recall there are no top tier universal Frigates. The only universal Frigates I can think off are bottom tier and in the case of the Elite Yukawa Frigates the worst pet in game from a DPS point of view.

whats actually wrong with them?

Is it that with some pets, even tho they have quite a few different abilities (boff abilities) and this whereas the problems lie, the pets activate these too often and in the wrong places away from enemies, as AI in game is kinda useless. shame really, what they should of done is keep the pets simple, like just FAW/BO/CSV/CRF/TS/HY and what they should do for increase in variety, is just like we do with weapons/consoles, where they just simply become stronger, more health, and more weapons. that way would make pets more viable.
  • Options
    whats actually wrong with them? the elite yukawa frigates

Is it that with some pets, even tho they have quite a few different abilities (boff abilities) and this whereas the problems lie, the pets activate these too often and in the wrong places away from enemies, as AI in game is kinda useless. shame really, what they should of done is keep the pets simple, like just FAW/BO/CSV/CRF/TS/HY and what they should do for increase in variety, is just like we do with weapons/consoles, where they just simply become stronger, more health, and more weapons. that way would make pets more viable.
  • Options
    well looking thru my choice of pets and all i can see that i can use on my D7 carrier is the Elite Yukawa frigates orrr the support frigates as can be used on any carrier, now what i like about the support frigates being KDF/Rommie, i can use either the Rommie, the kdf or the Jem'hadar support frigates, meaning i can have mix n match .
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    well looking thru my choice of pets and all i can see that i can use on my D7 carrier is the Elite Yukawa frigates orrr the support frigates as can be used on any carrier, now what i like about the support frigates being KDF/Rommie, i can use either the Rommie, the kdf or the Jem'hadar support frigates, meaning i can have mix n match .

Yukawa's have the worst AI imaginable. They fly around aimlessly and half the time they don't even attack anything, they just fly around lost. They're completely and totally worthless and you're wasting resources if you use them.

If you're using a D7 with a KDF use either the Tactical Flyers or go with Elite Nausicaan Stingers, they're amazing. If you don't own the Guramba you can buy the fleet version using free FSM's from Reputation and that will unlock them for free.

There is no good Frigate to use with that ship. If you use a Romulan ship, you can use Romulan Drones.. other then that just avoid Frigates completely.
  • Options
    just seen the new thing they doing yas add one those tokens to my D7 carrier a 6th trait slot (maybe a extra console slot) device slot yas yas yas lol
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Just finished my Carrier testing and updated https://www.sto-league.com/a-brief-guide-to-getting-the-most-out-of-hanger-pets/

Pretty surprised by the results Elite Stalker Fighter Squadrons are coming out as top DPS causing me to swap to a Fleet Caitlin Carrier. Not that far behind are Elite Scorpion Squadrons, with Jem’Hadar fighter Squadrons in 3rd place although not that far behind Scorpions. Main testing done in Stranded in Space against 2 ships only. Followed by a HSA and ISA run. Same order of performance over all 3 maps and all testing done multiple times. With the below build the Elite Stalker Fighter Squadrons are massively beating previous top hanger pets like Droneships.

Build is

Personal Traits: Holographic Mirage Decoys + Wing Commander
    Starship Trait: Scrabbled Fighters + Dominion Coordination + Relaunch and Repair + Voth Carrier Synergies + Superior Area Denial
    Consoles: Console – Universal – Swarmer Matrix + Enhanced Carrier Synergy (3-piece set bonus from the Ancient Obelisk Technology Set)
    Bridge Officer Powers: (Rank doesn’t matter) Tactical team + FaW + Rapid Fire + Engineering Team + Photonic Officer + EptW + Gravity Well
    Pets: x2 Elite Squadrons. With the above setup these can push out over 100k DPS from the hanger pets alone.
  • Options
    Not had chance to test this. In theory the Lukari 3part set excluding the warp core as you use the Ancient Obelisk Ancient Obelisk Warp Core would provide a nice combination. The Ancient Set gives your pets EptX while the Lukari set gives your pets in 5km shield healing and Scramble Fighters hull heals.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Just finished my Carrier testing and updated https://www.sto-league.com/a-brief-guide-to-getting-the-most-out-of-hanger-pets/

Pretty surprised by the results Elite Stalker Fighter Squadrons are coming out as top DPS causing me to swap to a Fleet Caitlin Carrier. Not that far behind are Elite Scorpion Squadrons, with Jem’Hadar fighter Squadrons in 3rd place although not that far behind Scorpions. Main testing done in Stranded in Space against 2 ships only. Followed by a HSA and ISA run. Same order of performance over all 3 maps and all testing done multiple times. With the below build the Elite Stalker Fighter Squadrons are massively beating previous top hanger pets like Droneships.

Build is

Starship Trait: Scrabbled Fighters + Dominion Coordination + Relaunch and Repair + Voth Carrier Synergies + Superior Area Denial
    Consoles: Console – Universal – Swarmer Matrix + Enhanced Carrier Synergy (3-piece set bonus from the Ancient Obelisk Technology Set)
    Bridge Officer Powers: (Rank doesn’t matter) Tactical team + FaW + Rapid Fire + Engineering Team + Photonic Officer + EptW + Gravity Well
    Pets: x2 Elite Squadrons. With the above setup these can push out over 100k DPS from the hanger pets alone.

sounds pretty damn good, but alas im on a Rommie/Klink :( need to see what pets on i can really use on my D7

also just seen, the ancient obelisk set thought only useable on the obelisk carrier?
    Post edited by chrisevans34 on
  • Options
    gonna get me some elite
    Not had chance to test this. In theory the Lukari 3part set excluding the warp core as you use the Ancient Obelisk Ancient Obelisk Warp Core would provide a nice combination. The Ancient Set gives your pets EptX while the Lukari set gives your pets in 5km shield healing and Scramble Fighters hull heals.

interesting need to look into this
  • Options

Build is

also why you using dominion cooridination when it dont work with SAD?
  • Options
    damn it to hell lol, shame the Tzenkethi BZ is borked, i need to farm marks and 15 those canisters lol
  • Options

Build is

also why you using dominion cooridination when it dont work with SAD?
    Dominion Coordination does work with SAD. When you use Overload, Rapid Fire or Surgical Strikes your pets get 33% damage boost. So I fit Rapid Fire as there is no cooldown problem alongside FaW. No cannons fitted.

1 item of the Ancient Obelisk set used to be locked to the Obelisk Carrier. Don’t remember the date but relatively recently it was changed in the patch notes and now works as a universal. At least from the Fed point of view its universal. Not sure if KDF have access?
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    now all we need cryptic to do is change them, cause those new carrier 6 weapons slots, 11 console slots, 2 hangar bays.....it seems pretty meh tho such a let down as we lose out on the flight deck carriers that can have 8 weapon slots :(

It's sad but they don't care...there are some simple changes they could have made to carriers without just throwing more weapons onto it...but all they care about was putting out a product as quick as possible
  • Options
    [quote="pottsey5g;c-13623821 [/quote]
    Dominion Coordination does work with SAD. When you use Overload, Rapid Fire or Surgical Strikes your pets get 33% damage boost. So I fit Rapid Fire as there is no cooldown problem alongside FaW. No cannons fitted.

1 item of the Ancient Obelisk set used to be locked to the Obelisk Carrier. Don’t remember the date but relatively recently it was changed in the patch notes and now works as a universal. At least from the Fed point of view its universal. Not sure if KDF have access?
    [/quote]

well im going to have to buy the ship 800 lobi and try it out lol
    so see with regarding the SAD/CA i been using CA as i can proc it every15secs, running 2 X BO1
  • Options
    im really no good at this whole "quote" bit lol
  • Options
    hehehe well i went and brougt me the Tzen-tar carrier, and the advanced obelisk so get the 3piece set
  • Options

Build is

see the Enchanced carrier synergy, how useful is it to use? thanks
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    Oh god, I still use a fleet Jhu'ael with elite scorpions. facepalm
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
This discussion has been closed.