test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

My two cents on the updated Borg TFOs

somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 10,222 Arc User
Pros
-Addition of VA makes the content feel more current
-Addition of objective markers means people have no excuse to miss the probes in Khitomer Vortex, and makes it clearer what you should be targeting in Infected space
-The breakdown of mission rewards at the end makes it clearer what you got marks for doing
-What appears to be minor visual updating in some of the maps has cleaned up some of the worst of the dated graphics the TFOs had
-The briefing cooldowns in "Into the Hive" ensure the team stays together, and you don't have people rushing off ahead like idiot
-The addition of a more obvious and clearer virus bar in the second stage of "Into the Hive" again makes it clearer how much longer you have to wait.
-Making it an objective to defeat all of the Queen's guards means people can't by bypass that encounter by running past it like before.

Cons
-ISA is still stupidly primitive to the point a caveman could do it
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    I can see some of the DPS people maybe throwing a fit over not getting free damage numbers off the Gates if they use AoE stuff in Infected, but overall I think its actually a pretty good change. More straight forward, more clear...

Also ran Kitomer. My usual job of Defense on one side is now much easier now that I don't have to worry about the gate attacking me while on Defense, so I can get within 10k of it now. I also noticed that while fighting Donatra, when she cloaks ships spawn from the Temporal gate.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    Visuals are better indeed, voice overs are good too.

The status bar was always there in Into the Hive, it's just more visible now.

To be fair, most of the markers are a bit silly. Yes, they serve a purpose but I doubt it's going to make a difference. If, previously, people were ignoring the text saying that the probes needed to be destroyed (besides the probes themselves, which were hardly invisible), they'll likely still do it if there's a marker above it.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    The most serious con is the additional waiting time in space, and breaking up Into the hive into smaller pieces.

Letting players just move on without the continuous breaks in-between was much better. You already had to wait for everyone to arrive in the first two rooms - perhaps with good reason - but adding a third waiting time just before the Queen is only annoying.

All these breaks take the action out of the mission and reduces immersion. On the other hand, regarding that, adding more drone reinforcements is a good thing and makes things more dynamic.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,472 Arc User
    I say no to removing the fail conditions on Elite, it is Elite and you need those to complete the TFO. The fail conditions should be removed for Normal though.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I would guess it's there to stop people from having to sit for 30 minutes pounding away at a massive sponge the way we did for 6 months after delta rising.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    In my opinion only Devs of a single player arcade game should give into the experience the OP describes.

We play a mmoprg! It has a clear and open character progression curve which lasts for two years. More so we play a space combat game. Of course dealing damage, staying alive and min-maxing the resulting DPS is the very core element of it. Of course our relative position on the progression curve reflects that heavily. It is the way it is supposed to be.

Personally I find it very rude how the OP blames the game for his wrong expectations and what’s worse his team-mates indirectly for his gaming experience. In advanced they make stuff too easy for him because they have too much DPS and on elite it’s the other way around? Not enough DPS there to beat the checks?!

Yea sorry, that’s not how it works! If the relative position on the progression curve of this game has stuck the OP between two settings somehow it’s up to him to either get better or worse or to socialize himself into the right group of people helping him with that.

As a mmorpg player I did.

My first ISE in over half a decade was not supposed to be about numbers or a record. I wanted to feel the map, get an idea how it is supposed to be played in a qualified but not over qualified group. That’s why I declined an invitation by the DPS league admins yesterday (Sorry Soludor & Spawny) and took my first ISE in years with my fleet, my gang! We all have different standings, different skills. What a great game I got as result. @spiritborn and @jennycolvin where both in as @pottsey sadly had CD. Lol I got a bloody nose 3 times underestimating the maps opposition but everybody in my team and I fought bravely and, considering the fail conditions, we barley managed to beat the map. A bud and I even used phone to coordinate the nanites on the right side which was needed after some mess up on left (stuff we only do for record runs usualy). And you know what’s even better? For the first time the 260 defensive perk points I have to take the next year don’t feel like a waste. Awesome! I’m going to get them!

Thank you DEVSs, thank you friends. I like the new ISE revamp. Elite teams will find it too easy of course but it’s nothing unexpected considering the direction of this title. As an elite player I can adapt to that easily and uphold the fun.

Glad to see my fears about the Borg revamp were not nessesary.

As for those uhappy, we have lots of other maps with non mmorpg DPS centric arcade stuff, timegates, auto wins and what else in it. Go play them! They could really use some life for sure. :D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    My first ISE in over half a decade was not supposed to be about numbers or a record. I wanted to feel the map, get an idea how it is supposed to be played in a qualified but not over qualified group. That’s why I declined an invitation by the DPS league admins yesterday (Sorry Soludor & Spawny) and took my first ISE in years with my fleet, my gang! We all have different standings, different skills. What a great game I got as result. @spiritborn and @jennycolvin where both in as @pottsey sadly had CD. Lol I got a bloody nose 3 times underestimating the maps opposition but everybody in my team and I fought bravely and, considering the fail conditions, we barley managed to beat the map. A bud and I even used phone to coordinate the nanites on the right side which was needed after some mess up on left (stuff we only do for record runs usualy). And you know what’s even better? For the first time the 260 defensive perk points I have to take the next year don’t feel like a waste. Awesome! I’m going to get them!

Eh eh, Pete... I must confess I giggled a little when I saw you exploding the first time, don't be mad!, all the while thinking "I'm next".
    Seriously though, I had a lot of fun because finally something IS difficult! I brought in a character that was not my main one and it still was a nice run!
    As Pete said, be barely managed to beat the fail conditions, but we managed and I have something to look forward to to better myself and to experience fully with my friends and my fleetmates.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,988 Arc User
    Eh eh, Pete... I must confess I giggled a little when I saw you exploding the first time, don't be mad!​​
    Did you get a screen shot of Peter exploding?
  • Options
    Lol folks, I popped 3 times like a total beginner. Well as far as isE is concerned... I was. :D
    animated.gif
  • Options
    Can only comment on those I played yesterday.

The good:
    ISE: Finally! It is much better balanced against the achievable progression curve of elite players. For high end teams it’s still too easy but for mixed teams its great fun. The core mechanics of the map stayed intact and since the rest can be adjusted via social networking a clear win-win for this game. :)

The bad:
    ISA, KSN: They seem to have reduced the hit points and resistances of the critters resulting in an easier fight than ever before. Having a player like me in those maps could cause further problems as in AFK penalties or disabled map goals as I simply out DPS everything solo. :|

The ugly:
    HGE: Small disappointment here! Stupid timer and what’s worse they dummied it down by removing most of the elite drones. Lol yea, apparently elite drones are too elite for elite. I don’t care by how much they cripple advanced and why but making elite easier than it already was uncalled for. It only caters to bad players with too much arrogance. :'(
    animated.gif
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The ugly:
    HGE: Small disappointment here! Stupid timer and what’s worse they dummied it down by removing most of the elite drones. Lol yea, apparently elite drones are too elite for elite.
    As someone who playtested the original on tribble... I don't remember it having more than a few... ever. It's always had armies of cannon fodder to mow down, but not a lot of elites.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    We all explode every once in a while.. even Pete. :lol:
    Post edited by seaofsorrows on
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    The ugly:
    HGE: Small disappointment here! Stupid timer and what’s worse they dummied it down by removing most of the elite drones. Lol yea, apparently elite drones are too elite for elite.
    As someone who playtested the original on tribble... I don't remember it having more than a few... ever. It's always had armies of cannon fodder to mow down, but not a lot of elites.

As somebody who enjoyed the original a thousand times on holodeck I already missed 2x4 Elite drones in the alcoves of the first room. All that’s left are Advanced and Tac drones now. Perhaps Cryptic made a mix up with the settings. My team had elite mode confirmed by 3 players hence my verdict here.
    animated.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    We all explode every once in a while.. even Pete. :lol:

I look forward to giving these a try, I'll stick with the people I know will be fun to play with.

Cryptic did fine this time mate. We will be in for some fun in the new elite space maps. I promise. :)
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
  • Options
    protoneous wrote: »
    Eh eh, Pete... I must confess I giggled a little when I saw you exploding the first time, don't be mad!
    Did you get a screen shot of Peter exploding?
    Sadly, I didn't!​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    In my opinion only Devs of a single player arcade game should give into the experience the OP describes.

We play a mmoprg! It has a clear and open character progression curve which lasts for two years. More so we play a space combat game. Of course dealing damage, staying alive and min-maxing the resulting DPS is the very core element of it. Of course our relative position on the progression curve reflects that heavily. It is the way it is supposed to be.

Personally I find it very rude how the OP blames the game for his wrong expectations and what’s worse his team-mates indirectly for his gaming experience. In advanced they make stuff too easy for him because they have too much DPS and on elite it’s the other way around? Not enough DPS there to beat the checks?!

Yea sorry, that’s not how it works! If the relative position on the progression curve of this game has stuck the OP between two settings somehow it’s up to him to either get better or worse or to socialize himself into the right group of people helping him with that.

As a mmorpg player I did.

Thank you DEVSs, thank you friends. I like the new ISE revamp. Elite teams will find it too easy of course but it’s nothing unexpected considering the direction of this title. As an elite player I can adapt to that easily and uphold the fun.

Glad to see my fears about the Borg revamp were not nessesary.

As for those uhappy, we have lots of other maps with non mmorpg DPS centric arcade stuff, timegates, auto wins and what else in it. Go play them! They could really use some life for sure. :D

Yeah the Borg rewamp was loads of fun, ironically even though I was probably worst player in the group (granted that not saying much) I didn't explode though I did end up at 1% or 2% health a couple of times.

Due to real life reasons I don't tend to have that much time to play during the week so it feels nice that time I do have doesn't feel like it was wasted.
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    The issue with the DPS numbers in Infected is simply the mission has now a longer start time - So running a parse can be a bit tricky for some.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    reyan01 wrote: »
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    [[...]}
    Seriously though, I had a lot of fun because finally something IS difficult! [...]

But... it isn't.... it is not difficult in the slightest. It's just a matter of what gear you equip. It COULD be difficult... but the game makes sure it won't be, since ISE makes sure you have a certain minimum DPS, so you will never have to struggle for a victory there.

You think it was somehow difficult? You didn't struggle. Struggling would mean to doubt if you make it. Not "in time", but if you make it at all. If your teammates will bail on you because it just seems so overwhelmingly difficult.

This very game used to offer that. Then came laughably high DPS and blew this whole game mode up in favor of "MOA POWAAA!". And some clowns don't even know that, and claim "this is how it's supposed to be", because they don't know any better.

It's just so sad.

Its ironic really. I seem to recall players here saying "adding more HP to the enemy NPCs isn't the answer!". Yet at the core of it, that's exactly what has happened; they made the NPC ISE ships extra HP and gave them (frankly medicore) healing abilities.
    And its being applauded.....
    Yep, it's ironic that I seem to recall players here saying that it's a joke because they ended up in a run with 3 juggernaughts that simply annihilated everything and the first thing they did was coming to the forums to complain, as if the entire playerbase is composed of players like the one they ended up in queue with.

It's ironic that the moment I went in there with my fleetmates - all people that are well in the gold DPS league and with which I could run every advanced and elite with ease - we couldn't even get past the first wave and ended up failing the queue miserably... all the while screeching like banshees and having the time of our lives.

And for your information, @sophlogimo we did struggle with Pete and the others and we barely made it - as Pete himself said, but, as usual, is more convenient to ignore part of someone's post when it doesn't go well with our own narrative, ehi?

And since when has Infected EVER been anything more than "pew pew pew" with a little side of "I'll block the probes, you take care of the transformer" immediately followed by "pew pew pew on the probes" and then rinse and repeat?

You want coordination? Cool, I want it too and I was one of the people that argued strenuously against the removal of Infected: Manus from the random queue because it does require coordination.
    You want team work? See above.

ISE is harder than what I expected it to bee and for that, I'm grateful.
    If you don't think so, then go in there and trash everything. If you can't, because it's just a "high DPS check", then I suggest you play something else.
    Also, and this come from someone that has raided for years in actual, irrevocably, difficult content: DPS checks have always been part of stuff like this. Granted, there must still be mechanics - which are still present in ISE, however idiotic you might think them to be - but considering how this game has been going for the past year and more, I'm extremely grateful they didn't just make it another time-gated, infinite-waves auto-complete queue.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

• Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    I remeber when the Borg where given more abilites, like EPtE, and more inteligence... they felt like a real challenge.. and they didnt even upped the HP!... ahhh, good times, wished they keept that AI en Advanced and Elite.. :blush:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    Playing the game how the game tells you to play it fails consistently as an entertainment activity. That means the game fails as a game.

I know you developers don't care for advice, but after such a titanic disappointment, I just have to give advice for free: Fix the DPS nonsense with the game's systems, and remove the fail conditions on Elite. ALLOW PEOPLE TO STRUGGLE, AT LEAST ON ELITE.

Define "DPS nonsense". First off, Elite is supposed to be the most difficult setting in the game. It's not supposed to be super easy, hence the fail conditions. Unless you're one of those folks who always runs in a pre-made team where everything is rehearsed down to the last 1s and 0s of the queue, people already struggled on elite for the most part, barring a few exceptions. Removing the fail conditions from elite removes any and all incentive people may have to grow and do better. For that matter why would grow and do better to beat the auto-fail conditions when they can just wait it out and have it handed to them? Simply because you're not a fan of it doesn't mean it's "failed as a game." It simply means it's not your cup of tea, which is fine as you're entitled to that opinion, but it's little more than that, an opinion. DPS itself is not the problem nor has it ever been.

I'm sure this next bit will get me called an elitist but I'm going to be perfectly blunt. Elite again is meant to be the toughest difficulty in the game, and it's meant for you to bring the thunder with your A game. If a person is constantly failing on elite, this means they need to either adjust their tactics/gear and try again, or run with a team of similar individuals. If they do those things and still fail, then barring a game breaking issue, the problem isn't the queue, but the player not being ready for elite content just yet. Simply because that player isn't yet ready for elite content does not mean there is a problem with the queue. Yeah I know that's not a popular statement and not what folks are going to want to hear, but if you don't bring your A game for these new queues, it's going to end badly for people.
    I would guess it's there to stop people from having to sit for 30 minutes pounding away at a massive sponge the way we did for 6 months after delta rising.

Yeah, we shouldn't get the feeling that all those massive Borg ships are somehow an actual enemy or something.

If folks had sorted their gear they weren't a threat though. The problem with ships at the start of Delta Rising was they were purely damage sponges and nothing more. Even with moderate gear and a basic cohesive build, you were never in any danger of dying. The issue wasn't that extra HP was added, but that too much of it was added and it made all end game fights tedious as a result. Even fleet alert missions went on ridiculously longer than they needed to for the first little while. I get that they didn't want things dying purely in 2 seconds, especially on elite, but there was no reason it needed to take sometimes up to 30 minutes to kill one ship in Delta Rising, purely because it was health sponge, and not because of boss fight mechanics or such. It was grind for the sake of grind that added nothing of value to the game. That's why it was changed.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    One more experience to add in, out of the 2 ISE runs I got into last night:

Total duration: 486s
    Team total DPS: 700k (230/160/150/80/80)
    Personal Deaths: 2 (everyone had at least 2)

This was a team that were no slouches, and yet it took 6 minutes with multiple deaths and some near misses. We were bringing our relative A-game, and it felt balanced around that. The only thing I saw was that the generators were still taken out a little early/individually, and it felt like they could stand to have a bit more health so that if they weren't coordinated, it would allow enough time for spheres to get over.

All in all, it still feels like a pumped up ISA, but pumped up fairly near the right amount to feel in line with other elites in the game. Nothing in STO is probably ever going to be akin to raids, but this is a good step.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    -Addition of objective markers means people have no excuse to miss the probes in Khitomer Vortex, and makes it clearer what you should be targeting in Infected space
    Meh, more useless handholding. People "miss the probes" in Khitomer on purpose because missing them doesn't do anything.
    -The breakdown of mission rewards at the end makes it clearer what you got marks for doing
    Meh, I didn't even notice they put one in. Never read them in any of the missions that have them.
    -The briefing cooldowns in "Into the Hive" ensure the team stays together, and you don't have people rushing off ahead like idiot
    Con. Utter waste of time.
    -The addition of a more obvious and clearer virus bar in the second stage of "Into the Hive" again makes it clearer how much longer you have to wait.
    Long enough to get coffee. :p
    -Making it an objective to defeat all of the Queen's guards means people can't by bypass that encounter by running past it like before.
    Con. Yet another tactical choice nerfed to oblivion. Though shalt jump through the hoops as ordained!
    Cons
    -ISA is still stupidly primitive to the point a caveman could do it
    Which is still better than all the autowin TFOs that even a baked potato could do.
This discussion has been closed.