Install Arc
Options

Intrepid Class Skin

13»

Comments

• Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Moving on back to Intrepid class. Another skin is the Sternbach Voyager concept model. My favourite part is the long warp nacelles. It does look awfully skinny looking and I think the nacelles would look better outwards just a little (keep them hung low but sticking out to the sides). The shape of the saucer reminds me of the U.S.S. Prometheus.

http://i.imgur.com/9POXpy7.jpg
    https://66.media.tumblr.com/1ca2bcd81f04724fc7690267e06cec12/tumblr_nyaqhkOAET1rzu2xzo1_640.jpg
    http://fsd.trekships.org/art/images/dv-5.gif

There are a few variants with fins on top and below the hull as well. Someone asked Rick Sternbach what the fins on the Voyager concept were for, he said they were there to give the producers who 'own' the show something to remove and feel they contributed something. I thought that was pretty hilarious. :D
    Post edited by terranempire#7881 on
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,026 Community Moderator
    I wonder if they actually used the Intrepid concept design as a basis for Prometheus. Like you said the saucer is like that on Prometheus.

We've seen Star Trek recycle concept art for new ships. The Defiant concept was recycled as the Nova, the old TMP Enterprise concept was recycled as the Crossfield class...
    Wouldn't surprise me if the Prometheus was inspired by the Intrepid concept.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    boy, am i really glad the developers asked for those last minute changes...that 'final version' looks horrible​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I wonder if they actually used the Intrepid concept design as a basis for Prometheus. Like you said the saucer is like that on Prometheus.

We've seen Star Trek recycle concept art for new ships. The Defiant concept was recycled as the Nova, the old TMP Enterprise concept was recycled as the Crossfield class...
    Wouldn't surprise me if the Prometheus was inspired by the Intrepid concept.

I think lot of them do including the Nova and Sovereign. I also like flipping my ship models upside down and seeing how they would look if they were designed the other way around.
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
  • Options
    boy, am i really glad the developers asked for those last minute changes...that 'final version' looks horrible​​

To each their own. Do you hate the whole thing or anything in particular?

For me I can't stand how shrivelled up the entire body of the ship looks. It especially noticeable in the eaglemoss model. The back section and hull needs beefed up.

I do like the saucer section though. It really reminds me of the Orville :)
    da2426a982970e659cf43a8c9ebfb418.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    the saucer is good, as it is with the prometheus - just the rest is awful

also glad they decided to only use the saucer for the prometheus too and not the entire thing​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    The back part of that proto-Intrepid reminds me of the Danube Runabouts.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

To each their own. Do you hate the whole thing or anything in particular?

For me I can't stand how shrivelled up the entire body of the ship looks. It especially noticeable in the eaglemoss model. The back section and hull needs beefed up.

I do like the saucer section though. It really reminds me of the Orville :)
    da2426a982970e659cf43a8c9ebfb418.jpg
    The Orville looks like a ship designed by an Eldritch horror to me. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    I mostly want warship voyager so I have an excuse to use the intrepid ship (at least a variant of it) on a non-science toon.
    Post edited by avoozuul on
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »

That's what I just thought, too. Maybe they intended the VOY to also be an "upscaled" runabout at some point, like the Defiant originally?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,511 Arc User

That's what I just thought, too. Maybe they intended the VOY to also be an "upscaled" runabout at some point, like the Defiant originally?

That is definitely possible if you watch the way things are designed in the shows themselves. They usually tell the computer to start with something, add or subtract things from other things, and then finish by telling the computer to take care of the details to make it work. Real-world wise it makes a good excuse for using parts from different scaled models on the same ship.
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited October 2019

There were multiple sketches for the Voyager prior to the now infamous Sternbach-Concept. Some of the older Voyager-sketches are more like runabouts, others bear resemblance to vulcan starships and one even looks like an upside-down Altair-class. They're also featured in the book 'The Art of Star Trek' and likely in newer iterations of it.

This discussion has been closed.