test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Next year's story arc to "change the face of the game"

Comments

• lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    My general problem with storyline is it mainly treats me as Federation even when playing my KDF or KDF alligned Romulan and JH. A great storyline change to bring back an unhappy group would be starting to value everyone. Its not nice to have mostly one sided stories I mean. I am not totally sure what Gecko meant but hopefully it is a consideration.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @lordmerc22 said:
    > My general problem with storyline is it mainly treats me as Federation even when playing my KDF or KDF alligned Romulan and JH. A great storyline change to bring back an unhappy group would be starting to value everyone. Its not nice to have mostly one sided stories I mean. I am not totally sure what Gecko meant but hopefully it is a consideration.

Ok now we have something story related. Revamping dialogue to be less faction/race agnostic could indeed be a "change the face of the game" moment.

Dont forget Gecko(Al) likes to exaggerate
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    > @lordmerc22 said:
    > My general problem with storyline is it mainly treats me as Federation even when playing my KDF or KDF alligned Romulan and JH. A great storyline change to bring back an unhappy group would be starting to value everyone. Its not nice to have mostly one sided stories I mean. I am not totally sure what Gecko meant but hopefully it is a consideration.

Ok now we have something story related. Revamping dialogue to be less faction/race agnostic could indeed be a "change the face of the game" moment.
    Yes. And some people would indeed be happy about it.

However, it'd also be a lot of voiceovers to redo, which is expensive. Somehow I doubt the happiness of the minority KDF separatists is worth that much to Cryptic.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    > @lordmerc22 said:

It's something that was popular in Foundry missions. The devs of course know this, and some of the newer missions have options like this.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • philchapphilchap Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    well might be hoping to much , maybe crew feel more ike a crew not place holders.
    "talent" nah, it's more that they don't have a reason to devote days or weeks of work to making it so you can customize random NPCs that no one will see :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,117 Arc User
    Again, Cryptic, do you see what sensationalized comments can cause?

I think it depends on the psychological profile of the intended recipient. Some people love the hype and will then defend the latest album of their favorite artist/newest movie in the franchise/newest book in the series with their life because it is the best ever. I am more in your camp here: if you're hyping me up, you better deliver. But are we the majority?

On the other hand, many backlashes over the last years have come from too hyped-up expectations and created bad blood beyond what was justified. Think - we had them in another thread recently - Mass Effect: Andromeda or Fallout 4. Serviceable and fine games which however failed to live up to what some players wanted, result of "worst game evvaaaa".

In the end I probably won't be disappointed here because I don't expect anything major at all. And I guess that's what I'll get.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    > @lordmerc22 said:

It's something that was popular in Foundry missions. The devs of course know this, and some of the newer missions have options like this.

Not options, when the dialogue railroads you down the Federation path. One option, and one only.
  • philchapphilchap Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    philchap wrote: »
    well might be hoping to much , maybe crew feel more ike a crew not place holders.

See... Yet another post hoping for SYSTEMIC change when Cryptic has made it clear that the change will be to the Story. Again, Cryptic, do you see what sensationalized comments can cause?

Incidentally, philchap, I would also like to see this. But that would mean that they would have to actually do some WORK on ship interiors, and they simply don't have the talent to do so.

my first thought was actually bought up already flying from the bridge. which would be cool. my second thought and one think still carry alittle weigh it something noone has guess yet. by season 17 is the next one?
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    Flying from your bridge has been asked and answered many times and reasons given for why it will never happen.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    This thread has turned into a perfect example of why the devs "don't talk about upcoming content."
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    Can Geko be accused of 'Gatekeeping' for this kerfuffle? ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    > @lordmerc22 said:

Not options, when the dialogue railroads you down the Federation path. One option, and one only.
    Hmmm if you're talking about the discovery holosims…. that's because you're basically playing out a holonovel.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    Not when Professor Moriarty is around. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,434 Community Moderator
    Sounds like he wants the game to turn into Planetside 2...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,630 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Nah, he just wants a Star Trek game to be Star Trek... you know where we explore strange new worlds, seek out new life, new civilizations...

Oh wait.

JJ Abrams came along... "We come in peace! SHOOT TO KILL!"
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,662 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    they have taken half the missions out already..
    They have done no such thing.

have not played a new Klink or feddy bear lately have you?
    there are more than a few MIA episodes they wer even addressed as removed for updates
    We Want Vic Fontaine
    as ar as "game changing" story lines, I can think of 2. 1. the Kelvans finally show up and the Allaince takes the fight to Andromeda, or 2, a Klingon Civil war. I think that one is highly unlikely but it would give the option of the KDF leaving the Alliance. The gorn revolt, the federation intervenes in the impending destruction of the Gorn homeworld, the KDF flips the bird to the Alliance and breaks off relations. knowing they cannot beat the allaince YET, they withdraw and begin to build thier war machine... but it won't happen because it's widely known the Devs are all Kirk.. they don't like the Klingons
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,434 Community Moderator
    It wouldn't be the Gorn that cause a Civil War. It would probably be J'Ula.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,275 Arc User
    The klingons wouldn't leave the alliance because that would mean the devs would have to make klingon focused content and I don't know if you've played the last 4 years or so worth of story missions, but they're clearly not designed for a klingon point of view. Much easier to use the alliance as a scapegoat and just make fed content that all 3 factions play.

(And hey according to the lore the Gorns hate the klingons with a fury, though outside of the lore accolades and the book and comics cryptic has they don't really show it much. Hell Ambassador Stass acts more like a klingon than a lot of klingon npcs which is kind of stupid.)
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,098 Arc User
    as far as "game changing" story lines, I can think of 2.
    the Kelvans finally show up and the Alliance takes the fight to Andromeda
    the KDF flips the bird to the Alliance and breaks off relations
    Either one of these would be great, and would certainly change the face of the game. I'd prefer the bird myself, but the Andromeda Galaxy would be cool to.

Nah, he just wants a Star Trek game to be Star Trek... you know where we explore strange new worlds, seek out new life, new civilizations...

Oh wait.

Get out of my headspace...

How DARE you say exactly what I'm thinking?!?!

:p lol :p

charge him rent
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User

Oh wait.

^^^^
    This comment shows you really didn't WATCH any Star Trek" ; you just listened to the opening narration by Shatner (TOS) or Stewart (TNG) as neither DS9, VOY, ENT or DSC have opening title voice over.

If you had actually watched the shows, you'd know they'd TALK about what they were there to explore...and then the plot complication -which would be the FOCUS of the next 42 - 50 minutes would occur, and we the viewer would be off on the wild adventure (TOS); or monotonous moralizing (TNG). ;)

Now did the occasionally try to do an episode with what one could call real 'exploration'? Yes, but such episodes were more the exception then the rule.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,430 Arc User

Oh wait.

Yeah, JJ started that. It never struck anyone before....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1pzN3CgANE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtU_FZAcCZo
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,630 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    jonsills wrote: »

Oh wait.

Yeah, JJ started that. It never struck anyone before....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1pzN3CgANE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtU_FZAcCZo

Really Jon? You have got to know I was quoting that exactly, right? It's just so increadibly accurate and appropriate for 'New (JJ) Trek' I couldn't pass it by. :tongue:
    I love it when people say this because it totally ignores that there is in fact star Trek AFTER TOS, but before the Kelvin timeline, and NONE of it was about that
    -TNG was largely a show about politics, and Picard mostly dealt with races that the Federation already knew about. Seeking out NEW life was not the focus of his mission.
    -DS9 was a war story between the powers of the Alpha Quadrant, and the Dominion. Again, seeking out new life wasn't the primary goal.
    -VOY was a story about people trying to get home. That they ran into new alien races was a side affect of their primary mission, and not the mission itself. They were not in the Delta Quadrant to seek out new life or civilizations, nor did they actively try to do so. They just ran into whatever they ran into on the straightest line back to Earth they could take.
    -Enterprise was the only show, besides TOS, to focus on just going out there and exploring things. Mostly because it was a damn prequel and thus kind of had too. But even then, the actual substantive focus of the show was the Temporal Cold War/Delphic Expanse/Xindi plot that was the running thread of the first three seasons.

So no, one does not need to "explore strange new worlds, seek out new life, new civilizations..." to be a Star Trek game, since Star Trek was rarely ever about that.

Yep, and each subsequent series from TOS strayed further and further from the core. TNG probably stayed as close to the tenants of Starfleet as a point of contact between civilizations that could be had after TOS, most likely because Roddenberry still had some input on it. To be honest with you, DS9 was an abomination. It was simply a soap opera set in a war setting. Pretty much the opposite of the bright, hopeful future Roddenberry had envisioned. The only reason it even made it onto TV was by riding TNG's coattails and countering the competing Babylon 5 series at the time. Voyager tried to get back to the core values of Starfleet, but was crippled by poor writing. Enterprise made the 'prequel' mistake of too much retconning - and again poor writing for most of it's run. And let's not even get into the nightmare that is ST:D. Hollywood has lost the ability to tell compelling stories these days it seems. It's all flash and no substance. And Star Trek isn't the only franchise affected. Look at the train wreck Star Wars has become.

Say what you will, if it weren't for TOS (even with a number of its own terrible episodes), NONE of this other stuff - including this game - would even exist.

If the mighty Gekko really wants to change the face of the game, he wouldn't do badly by taking Sirsitsalot's suggestions at an exploration system in the post above.
    That song was inspired entirely by TOS, NEW Trek or old is irrelevant that is what Trek has always been. Discovery excellent, doing better than any previous Trek series at this point in their cyvle and is not in any way at all a trainwreck. Nor does star wars have any problems except jackass fans that exist in every fanbase.

To be fair... Last Jedi was a trainwreck because the director decided to basically YOLO everything and derail what was set up in TFA because reasons.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,430 Arc User
    You understood that "We come in peace, shoot to kill" dates back to TOS, but you still want to complain that it's a "new" thing?

I give up, man. You're somewhere between They Changed It, Now It Sucks and It's the Same, Now It Sucks. It's hard to communicate with someone wedded so savagely to a single point of view, one at variance with available data.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Haters' gonna hate.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,148 Arc User
    Can we trash the Alliance yet?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • xungnguyenxungnguyen Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Can we trash the Alliance yet?

Not yet, but who knows? Maybe we'll be able to do it.
    temporal_lapras__royal_flagship__by_lapry101-dbutq96.png

"Simba, you have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are … you are my son and the one true king." (Mufasa)
This discussion has been closed.