test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Next year's story arc to "change the face of the game"

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    This is not Bridge Commander.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    Look... I can afford to buy every single item on the C-store. I can afford to plunk down money on keys to open lockboxes.

Well congratulations on your ludicrously gainful employment.

Good job. Now quote the part where I explained why I don't buy that stuff... Go on... You can do it.

Oh I couldn't actually give two fuzzy toes if and why you do or don't do anything with your money.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    What was the annoying pain in the neck part of doffing was when sector space was broken up into more sectors than it is now. Each Sector had it's own slew of doffing missions. This was true, and I remember this because I did it countless times, for both the menu UI and the ship interiors.

You had 13 Sector Space Blocks and 14 Exploration Clusters which all had different Doff Missions in both the Menu UI and the Ship Interiors. So 44 Maps to check at all times.

With map load times, this on average took over 2 hours to do once.
    Each sector still has it's own set of assignments. They're just all squeezed into impossibly tiny, unmarked strips at the edges that you have to look up on google to even find and then buzz back and forth while staring at the assignment list to be able to stop on just the right spot.

The old way was better.
    I use the astronavigation overlay as an assist. it has the boundaries marked, you just need to figure out which boundary to park on.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    If they did get Patrick Stewart in that would be so awesome!
    I doubt its Patrick Stewart. They have said the cost to get him is so high they would have to do a whole story arc just about him to warrant it, and I doubt they would do such a thing even after the Picard show is out.
    tousseau wrote: »
    A new game engine perhaps? Or, STO 2?
    A new game engine would mean remaking the whole game in said new game engine. You can't just copy paste the code from one game engine into another. That wouldn't be changing the face of the game, that would just be making a whole new game.
    Well mid 2020 is the next expansion release if they follow past releases.
    That number has likely been thrown off due to the "expansion over time" thing they are doing with Discovery.

they have taken half the missions out already.. would not surprise me if they were rewriting to a new engine
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    I got it! a race of robots will blow up all the planets and your starship will lead a convoy of transports.... no wait.... not that I know! a big explosion on the moon blasts it out of orbit and you are stuck on the super accelerating moon without warp drive.... no... un you use an experimental drive system and gt thrown so far away that you have no idea where the Federation is.... and you get a new robot Boff...
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Battlestar Galactica gets Lost in Space in 1999. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Look... I can afford to buy every single item on the C-store. I can afford to plunk down money on keys to open lockboxes.

Well congratulations on your ludicrously gainful employment.

Good job. Now quote the part where I explained why I don't buy that stuff... Go on... You can do it.

Oh I couldn't actually give two fuzzy toes if and why you do or don't do anything with your money.

And you missed the point. Not surprising, really. BWAITJ?

I'll save him the trouble. You don't buy stuff because in your mind, there's nothing that you WANT to do. In my opinion, that's a you problem.

For me, if there's nothing new to do to the game, I will wait and find something else to do with another game. I'm content logging in and doing the TFOs when they come around.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    > @vegeta50024 said:
    > sirsitsalot wrote: »
    >
    > nrobbiec wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Look... I can afford to buy every single item on the C-store. I can afford to plunk down money on keys to open lockboxes.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Well congratulations on your ludicrously gainful employment.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Good job. Now quote the part where I explained why I don't buy that stuff... Go on... You can do it.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Oh I couldn't actually give two fuzzy toes if and why you do or don't do anything with your money.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > And you missed the point. Not surprising, really. BWAITJ?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I'll save him the trouble. You don't buy stuff because in your mind, there's nothing that you WANT to do. In my opinion, that's a you problem.
    >
    > For me, if there's nothing new to do to the game, I will wait and find something else to do with another game. I'm content logging in and doing the TFOs when they come around.

Thank you Vegeta, prince of all comments. It is impressive how someone can consistently be such an utter single dangle.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I want interior stuff, probably more than the next guy, but this also ignores the fact that DOFFing originally took place in the ship until players complained about having to go to their ship interior to do it, so it was removed to be UI only.

This isn't entirely true. Doffing always had a UI Component which was accessible from the menus. That UI component was fine.

What was the annoying pain in the neck part of doffing was when sector space was broken up into more sectors than it is now. Each Sector had it's own slew of doffing missions. This was true, and I remember this because I did it countless times, for both the menu UI and the ship interiors.

You had 13 Sector Space Blocks and 14 Exploration Clusters which all had different Doff Missions in both the Menu UI and the Ship Interiors. So 44 Maps to check at all times.

With map load times, this on average took over 2 hours to do once.

And THAT, while not necessarily BAD design, is most definitely convoluted design. The solution I would have gone for would have been making it where you could travel to different sectors while in the ship interior, utilizing timers to simulate travel and tie-ins to the appropriate sector's DOff assignment list. This way, from a standpoint of Doff Assignments, you wouldn't have to load any other maps, unless you personally wish to beam down to a planet or station, or have need to actually fly around a space map.

Oh, but God forbid we actually circumvent the sector space travel, even though we can already transwarp to pretty much anywhere without even a travel timer to simulate the journey. But I digress...

I am now talking about how exploration, which when Cryptic put up a poll for what people were most interested in seeing, actually had the most votes... But I think that Cryptic had convenced themselves that it would have been the least favorable option and only threw it in to make that point with actual numbers with a "see we asked you and you didn't want it."

We DID, and the most they did towards it was an narrative point: Now that the war's over we can get back to exploring, only again, like I said, what we got in terms of gameplay went right back to blowing things up and killing people. They never intended to do exploration any real justice. Even though it is what the majority of those who voted on that poll wanted. So what was the poll's point?

We spoke and they ignored us. But they can honestly say that Starfleet got back to exploring because that is what that season's narrative said in terms of how it started off.

So FEH!

If you spend a significant amount of time aboard your ship to do stuff like Admiralty or Duty Officer tasks and Crafting, that means you spend a significant amount of time outside social zones. You might ignore Zone Chat for good reasons, but you can still see all the other ships in Earth orbit or near DS9 or all the other characters on Earth Space Dock, so you still have some semblance of contact with other players.
    But on your bridge or ship interior, you will be alone.
    There is very little narrative reason for players in command of their own ship to spend time on the interior of other players. Mechanics that would require that would feel thematically wrong and forced.
    It might probably be easier to create mechanics that require people to visit your Starbase (there already exists one, with the ability to use certain fleet stores to get access to whatever a fleet has access to), but if it is too customable, it would have the same problem as ship interiors have.

I think for that reason alone more stuff to do inside interiors is not really a desirable thing to do. It would probably be desirable to have missions play aboard interiors, but unfortunately, we all all these special snowflake interiors that will mean that the only interiors we'll visit will be that of NPC ships (or tutorial ships), because Cryptic is not going to implement the same mission for dozens of different map layouts.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    This is not Bridge Commander.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    > @sirsitsalot said:
    >
    > Thank you Vegeta, prince of all comments. It is impressive how someone can consistently be such an utter single dangle.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Oh... I'm an utter single dangle... Am I supposed to feel hurt by that comment?

Apologies. It was meant to say dingle dangle. Phone keyboards are far too small.

And no it was not intended to be hurtful. We're hardly discussing anything that has any serious impact on people. Or at least shouldnt anyway.

To be hurtful in such context would be somewhat melodramatic.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    OK. This is not

Star Trek: Judgment Rites
    Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force 1 & 2
    Star Trek: Starfleet Command
    Star Trek: Borg
    Star Trek: Bridge Crew
    Star Trek: The Next Generation A Final Unity

I could go on....
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    <snark>Really? I'm sorry. I thought it was. All this time...</snark>

Try again. Harder. YOU FAIL!

Actually... if it is the truth... then I don't. Have a nice day.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    Please quote where I said let us fly our ship from our bridge?

Alrighty then...
    The solution I would have gone for would have been making it where you could travel to different sectors while in the ship interior, utilizing timers to simulate travel and tie-ins to the appropriate sector's DOff assignment list. This way, from a standpoint of Doff Assignments, you wouldn't have to load any other maps, unless you personally wish to beam down to a planet or station, or have need to actually fly around a space map.

Utilization of timers for flying from the bridge was shot down by Tacofangs. For an explanation, please see the FCT.

Now, if we could desist with derailing the thread with talk of game changing mechanics, which are not what was referred to by Geko or what this thread is about.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @sirsitsalot said:
    > baddmoonrizin wrote: »
    >
    >
    > Please quote where I said let us fly our ship from our bridge?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Alrighty then...
    >
    > The solution I would have gone for would have been making it where you could travel to different sectors while in the ship interior, utilizing timers to simulate travel and tie-ins to the appropriate sector's DOff assignment list. This way, from a standpoint of Doff Assignments, you wouldn't have to load any other maps, unless you personally wish to beam down to a planet or station, or have need to actually fly around a space map.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Utilization of timers for flying from the bridge was shot down by Tacofangs. For an explanation, please see the FCT.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > In all fairness, If I recall correctly, Taco gave this response before everything of consequence got a transwarp instant-travel button next to it in the mission queue... To that end I redact my suggestion for a timer and put forth an instant travel option, since that's the direction the game actually has gone.
    > Now, if we could desist with derailing the thread with talk of game changing mechanics, which are not what was referred to by Geko or what this thread is about.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You mean it's what he WISHES it won't be about, in spite of the sensationalist verbiage that was used automatically leading to an assumption to the contrary... But very well... I will refrain from any further systemic discussion.

From the FCT

) Flying Your Ship from the Bridge

Official quote from TacoFangs -
    tacofangs wrote: »
    >SNIP<

I read it. And like I said, Taco originally posted this before everything of consequence got an instant travel transwarp button in the mission queue. So really we don't even NEED sector space at all when we can just click a button and go right to where the mission starts. And if we can just bypass sector space like that, we don't even need a travel timer to simulate a journey...

So like I said, I redact my suggestion for a travel timer and instead opt for just telling the helmsman where to go, and once the engage command is given, all relevant interactable elements in the interior are updated according to the scenario parameters.

That would only work, if they changed the infrastructure on how the game handles where your ship is from where you leave sector space and plop it back down in an area where you are supposed to be.

I believe the only reason we have free transwarp in the first place is so that it mitigates the slow travel time when you have a low level character. I'm honestly content not using the transwarp button and traveling to the next location.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    You mean it's what he WISHES it won't be about, in spite of the sensationalist verbiage that was used automatically leading to an assumption to the contrary... But very well... I will refrain from any further systemic discussion.

I thought this thread was about "the changing face of the game" by next year's story arc. And we know that at least this time it won't be bridge commandeering. Maybe later, maybe not - if I were a gambling man I'd know where to place my bets, but this time it's a given, so I'd say let's do BMR a favor and drop it in this thread.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Maybe what we'll get is a formal declaration of the "Alliance" being not just a military coalition of necessity, but a formal political entity, a "meta" Federation.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @sirsitsalot said:
    > baddmoonrizin wrote: »
    >
    >
    > Please quote where I said let us fly our ship from our bridge?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Alrighty then...
    >
    > The solution I would have gone for would have been making it where you could travel to different sectors while in the ship interior, utilizing timers to simulate travel and tie-ins to the appropriate sector's DOff assignment list. This way, from a standpoint of Doff Assignments, you wouldn't have to load any other maps, unless you personally wish to beam down to a planet or station, or have need to actually fly around a space map.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Utilization of timers for flying from the bridge was shot down by Tacofangs. For an explanation, please see the FCT.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > In all fairness, If I recall correctly, Taco gave this response before everything of consequence got a transwarp instant-travel button next to it in the mission queue... To that end I redact my suggestion for a timer and put forth an instant travel option, since that's the direction the game actually has gone.
    > Now, if we could desist with derailing the thread with talk of game changing mechanics, which are not what was referred to by Geko or what this thread is about.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You mean it's what he WISHES it won't be about, in spite of the sensationalist verbiage that was used automatically leading to an assumption to the contrary... But very well... I will refrain from any further systemic discussion.

From the FCT

) Flying Your Ship from the Bridge

Official quote from TacoFangs -
    tacofangs wrote: »
    >SNIP<

I read it. And like I said, Taco originally posted this before everything of consequence got an instant travel transwarp button in the mission queue.
    Despite us having this, we still see plenty of ships in Sector Space flying around. Everyone sitting in their bridge interior watching timers pass would still be very different.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
This discussion has been closed.