Install Arc
Options

[Forums] Trying Out Reactions

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    What a bad idea! Last thing we need is ppl grinding their axes by downvoting!

Yeah, it's kinda silly. We already have one or two people that just downvote everything.

If it makes em feel better then cool I guess.
    But you at least you know whose threads to vote down in retaliation!

I suspect there is going to be a lot of this. :smiley:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Not everyone can be civil in responding to posts though. We've seen it alot. Also maybe they don't have an opinion on why but do agree or disagree on something, so why should they be forced to dictate why they agree or not. It also means we cut down on the simple "I agree" or "I disagree" posts for said people who don't have a reason they wish to share.
    If you cannot or will not add to the conversation, then... don't. It's that simple. Pressing the "you suck" button or the "you rock" button adds nothing to the conversation. If you want to make a poll, then make a poll. This "feature" just adds clutter and reduces actual conversation.

rattler2 wrote: »
    +Another option for people who don't want to directly post a response. (IE selecting Insightful or LOL)
    That is not a pro. That is a con.

Again, if you cannot or will not add to a conversation, move along. Carpet bombing a thread with "you rock" and "you suck" does not inject new ideas or viewpoints into the discussion. Why do you like a post? Why do you dislike a post? If you are going to explain your view, then the button is redundant. Just, grab your keyboard (or iphone/tablet equivalent) and respond.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    looks more like a way to win popularity contests and publically shame those simply because they are unpopular and those same people will always downvote no matter what, in the same way those playing the most respectful will always be upvoted no matter what.

Don't see the point in it to be honest.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options

Yeah, it's kinda silly. We already have one or two people that just downvote everything.

If it makes em feel better then cool I guess.

a form of public shaming. and the rules need to be updated to account for this discrepency as they are clear on not naming and shaming.

honestly i'm not much of a fan of this popularity contest by up and down voting.

that is always in the back of my mind. what works on paradox as starsword likes shouting about, it won't always work elsewhere. and i'm certain there are going to be those who will downvote specific individuals no matter what, a clear abuse of the new system.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Hehe, I think up voting Sea’s, Tune’s and Meimei’s post will be a full time job in the future. :D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Dislike this message. Each dislike is a victory! Victory is Life! Dislike is Victory! Therefore Dislike is Life!
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Hey folks,

You'll notice some new buttons on posts in the forum. These allow you to react to a post without having to respond, and will have some noticeable effect on which posts move to the top of the forum. It's somewhat similar to Reddit's system. We're giving it a try to see how we like it, please let me know any feedback you might have.

The Quote and Flag button need to look visibly different and preferable retain their old position on the right.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Ignoring the reasoning for the like/dislike button for now, what in Grethor’s name have you done to the mobile version of the site?!?!??

The bottom of each post is just a jumbled mess of text links for the report/like/dislike etc buttons and makes viewing things a damned nightmare on shorter posts.

Good lord please fix this mess.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Bad idea i'm afraid.

Firstly because it allows people to voice opinions without really making any effort, topics are at risk of just getting blindly downvoted and made to look terrible without even people justifying their objections. It's essentially dumbing down the whole point of a discussion forum to a point where people just hit a single button rather that have to make a valid argument or proper post with actual words.

Secondly there are clearly on this forum alone groups of friends who will always defend and support each other, and "attack"any opinions which go against their own. Essentially what you've created here is gong to result is a daft circle-jerk for these group where they make their points of view look popular and better, and downvote en-mass the counter opinions.
    At least with the requirement to actually type a written response people can see the argument unfold and judge each reply on its own merits, this system removes all of that.
    It's going to almost encourage "faction" voting against opposing points of view, thus serving zero purpose in correctly indicating what posts are actually useful/funny/interesting/factually correct.

Lastly, you've definitely got a fair crop of fruit from the idiot tree on the forum who will happily just randomly down/up vote posts just to troll and mess with the situation. I can think of several names offhand who will happily just downvote everything to be difficult. So the responses don't mean anything.
    Post edited by lordsteve1 on
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    jordan3550jordan3550 Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    > @lordsteve1 said:
    > Ignoring the reasoning for the like/dislike button for now, what in Grethor’s name have you done to the mobile version of the site?!?!??
    >
    > The bottom of each post is just a jumbled mess of text links for the report/like/dislike etc buttons and makes viewing things a damned nightmare on shorter posts.
    >
    > Good lord please fix this mess.

I thought it was just my phone having trouble with site till I read your post
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Despite my overwhelming love towards Reddit community, as you've all most probably seen, I'm still extremely active in here. There are 2 main reasons why I prefer forums - one of them being this place here NOT having an upvote-downvote system (well, at least in the past). Sure, it's probably not going to matter much, as I believe the posts will still be kept chronologically, and unpopular posts won't be automatically hidden upon reaching certain number of downvotes, but it's definitely going to be used as a petty tool to show hate towards people you don't like. Without offering much substance. So yeah, not a big fan of it.

(Second reason is traditional forum layout being, in most cases, much more comfortable to use.)
  • Options
    Hehe, I think up voting Sea’s, Tune’s and Meimei’s post will be a full time job in the future. :D

Haha, why thank you. I'll be doing the same, just replace my name in your quote with yours. :D

Actually, I seriously hope they understand it's not so good of an idea before someone goes crazy and forms a voting block.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Majority Rule

This weekend, I watched the episode "Majority Rule" of The Orville. I have to say it was rather apropros.

NdPIKDD.png

And regarding this picture, what's up with being numbers of times people flagged because of Spam and Abuse open for public eyes? And what is even Promote?
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @artan42 said:
    > Downvoted because I now can .​​

That's off-topic :P
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I want a "madness" and "silly" option.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    Let the STO downvote wars commence. (I was going to put Reddit instead of STO but its copyrighted)
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    No, actually, I changed my mind. Let's keep this feature. I just want to see how much downvotes and potentially flaggings as abuse a dev can get when they decide to post something stupid again.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    welcome to wannabe Reddit
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    I'm quite sure that a few places had an up and down vote system even before reddit existed.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    I take it you don't 'Like' the idea? ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    The overall Vote Counter in the Profile is jumbled on top of each other on Mobile. I would suggest that people check their Profiles to see what they look like.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Majority Rule

This weekend, I watched the episode "Majority Rule" of The Orville. I have to say it was rather apropros.

NdPIKDD.png

And regarding this picture, what's up with being numbers of times people flagged because of Spam and Abuse open for public eyes? And what is even Promote?

Yes I too thought that was a bit questionable. Surely things like reports of behavior like that should only be visible to the mods?
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Majority Rule

NdPIKDD.png

Good catch. Abuse reports should always remain outside the purview of the general public. Even downvoting, IMHO, as it tends to breed personal resentment (and subsequent retaliation).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Majority Rule

NdPIKDD.png

Good catch. Abuse reports should always remain outside the purview of the general public. Even downvoting, IMHO, as it tends to breed personal resentment (and subsequent retaliation).

some might even see it as a personal badge of pride how much they are loved and hated. or how much they can show they are a mixed bag. some will literally ride that train like they have no life going from tailored responses to pm's looking to change minds to get those to go from down voting to up voting.

The long term prospects of this reactions system looks dubious at best. it has been met with a mixed response from what i can tell of the multiple threads. one here, two in general, one in off topic. (Edit: Threads elsewhere have since been removed)

What works elsewhere like Paradox and Reedit should stay there, there is already more than our fair share of toxicity and it doesn't need another fuel source to work from.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    You should charge zen to click on the vote icons. That would discourage vote trolling since they'd actually have to pay for it somehow.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    Majority Rule

NdPIKDD.png

That's a big part of why I don't see the point in this mess. If you downvote something, which basically is turning the entire forum into a giant poll on everything. There are going to be some who feel like someone downvoting their opinion is an attack on them and retaliate. I get that PWE might be trying to cash in on the like addiction that still fuels people on Facebook, but we seriously don't need that here. If PWE wants our opinions in the form of a poll, just create a thread with a poll.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    burstorion wrote: »
    Needs a facepalm reaction

This is most certainly needed around here!
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I'm a little late to the party but my advice is GET RID of the ability to vote down. If someone likes it they can vote someone up if someone doesn't they can say nothing. WoW even got rid of this feature on their forums and I don't think the FFXIV one ever had it. the ability to vote someone down when your opinion doesn't matter (unless your a mod) is a very bad thing.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    pork77pork77 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    I'd like to have the option to activate and deactivate that feature, depending if I'm following a discussion, or just need some info quickly.
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

... and of course, I'd love to have a T5/6 Kamarag, like there is a T5/6 Ambassador.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)

Not being someone that's got onto the whole antisocial media bandwagon or twitter, facebook, etc I can't see myself ever using them.
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on