What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Forums] Trying Out Reactions

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)

Not being someone that's got onto the whole antisocial media bandwagon or twitter, facebook, etc I can't see myself ever using them.

I gave you a lol. You are now part of the system. Muhahaha.​​
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    Hey folks,

You'll notice some new buttons on posts in the forum. These allow you to react to a post without having to respond, and will have some noticeable effect on which posts move to the top of the forum. It's somewhat similar to Reddit's system. We're giving it a try to see how we like it, please let me know any feedback you might have.

The Quote and Flag button need to look visibly different and preferable retain their old position on the right.
    That’s a good point and I was wondering if the flag is next to reactions will make people think it’s a reaction flag to come back to a post?

Another thing that confuses me about reactions is being at the bottom of the post by the time I have seen them I have already read the post or skipped it. At which point the reactions are irrelevant for telling me anything useful about the post. Its not like I am going get to the bottom see a bunch of down posts and retroactively skip the post.

On the plus side on my mobile I see zero reactions. So I can skip this useless feature.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Hope it won't.

Reddit is one of those places I consider to be part of the antisocial media wagon because while the theory of how it works is sound the way it actually works is more like a blend of mob mentality and playground popularity contest.
  • Options
    captaintroikacaptaintroika Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    I'm certain you won't recognize the irony in what's about to occur, OP.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    nimbull wrote: »
    You should charge zen to click on the vote icons. That would discourage vote trolling since they'd actually have to pay for it somehow.

On the GTA V forums, I believe they implemented a system where you cannot just gratuitously downvote, but need an amount of positive 'karma' yourself too (a certain negative/positive ratio), ere you can do so, to prevent trolling and/or malicious use of downvoting.

Heck, you could even do away with downvoting altogether, and still reach the same effect (ranking by upvotes only). That would definitely take the spite out of the system.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Funny that. There are times I actually have thought and pondered whether or not I'd actually vote up and down on posts around this neck of the woods. Having said that, I can't say I ever expected it to actually happen! O_o

With that, I do agree that eliminating the ability to downvote may like promote harmony within the forums. Or, if it must be retained for any reason, perhaps make it so one cannot see names of downvoters? Would that be possible?
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I want a "madness" and "silly" option.

I want one that says 'noncanon' so I can accurately flag people's headcanon they're trying to pass off as fact.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    patrickngo wrote: »
    consider this: the Devs spend more time with Reddit, than they do here. maybe they're hoping here will become more like Reddit?

Sure, because it's the upvote-downvote system that makes Reddit better than forums, right? It possibly can't be anything else, like, I don't know, the community?
    artan42 wrote: »

I want one that says 'noncanon' so I can accurately flag people's headcanon they're trying to pass off as fact.​​

You can't react to your own posts.
  • Options
    The only thing I could see me actually downvoting are the posts promoting the idiotically timed flash sales.

A global game needs to cater to the global timezones.
  • Options
    And could someone please tell me what the heck 'Promote' is supposed to do!? Promote in rank? Promote the idea of their post?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    And could someone please tell me what the heck 'Promote' is supposed to do!? Promote in rank? Promote the idea of their post?

Btw, where is this "promote" button, even?
  • Options
    pork77pork77 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    Semi-off topic: I wish they've added a "to the top" button at the end, first... or some other method to navigate the forum after finishing reading a threat.
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

... and of course, I'd love to have a T5/6 Kamarag, like there is a T5/6 Ambassador.
  • Options

Btw, where is this "promote" button, even?

Oops, LOL, seems that 'Promote' button is only on your own Profile. Well, in that case, I guess only moderators and such would be able to vote in such a manner.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    Also, something curious I discovered, when you look at your profile, there's something called "points" and a number behind them. As far as I understand, per every "Vote up" and "Insightful" on your posts you get 1 point, and 2 points for every "Awesome". Vote down and LOL doesn't seem to have any effects, rest I haven't seen but I'd bet it's the same with those.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    These buttons are perfect. Also, I want a "Banned" button.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    patrickngo wrote: »
    consider this: the Devs spend more time with Reddit, than they do here. maybe they're hoping here will become more like Reddit?

Sure, because it's the upvote-downvote system that makes Reddit better than forums, right? It possibly can't be anything else, like, I don't know, the community?
    artan42 wrote: »

I want one that says 'noncanon' so I can accurately flag people's headcanon they're trying to pass off as fact.

You can't react to your own posts.

Can't see why I would need to.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    sampopapunensampopapunen Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    (Off topic, trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • Options

See, this is a good example of why I hate this new system: why would 2 ppl mark my above post as off-topic? Asking about the 'Promote' button is as on-topic as it gets in this thread. And I still wouldn't mind an answer.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Classic diversion. The more people spend time Up/Down voting and post about Reactions, the less time they have to complain about AoD, TFOs, and lack of Romulan Ships. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    edited September 2018

See, this is a good example of why I hate this new system: why would 2 ppl mark my above post as off-topic? Asking about the 'Promote' button is as on-topic as it gets in this thread. And I still wouldn't mind an answer.

I noticed the same thing. People are already starting to go around voting down/marking everything off topic. I got downvoted for saying something was interesting in another thread.

Edit: LOL and it looks like you even got reported for "abuse" on a comment that couldn't possibly be seen as abusive.
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    kyle223cat wrote: »

I noticed the same thing. People are already starting to go around voting down/marking everything off topic. I got downvoted for saying something was interesting in another thread.

Edit: LOL and it looks like you even got reported for "abuse" on a comment that couldn't possibly be seen as abusive.

Yup, this is exactly what I feared would happen: the swinging of old axes. Went from 4 downvotes to 28, in no time, all done by the same person. I reported it to BMR, but I don't think they're really ready to deal with the fallout of this move of theirs to implement this not-entirely-well-thought-out system. We'll see, though.

Sorry to hear it's been happening to you too. You know what they say "Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate." :p And I'm sure I ticked off a few ppl in my days; but I always believe ppl generally like me (which I know is probably sounding a bit silly). Anyway, I really, really, implore the Devs to get rid of downvotes altogether. I didn't think it would happen to me (so soon) per se, but things are unfolding exactly as I predicted, the moment I heard about this new voting system. No good can come of downvotes.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User

Yup, this is exactly what I feared would happen: the swinging of old axes. Went from 4 downvotes to 28, in no time, all done by the same person. I reported it to BMR, but I don't think they're really ready to deal with the fallout of this move of theirs to implement this not-entirely-well-thought-out system. We'll see, though.

Sorry to hear it's been happening to you too. You know what they say "Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate." :p And I'm sure I ticked off a few ppl in my days; but I always believe ppl generally like me (which I know is probably sounding a bit silly). Anyway, I really, really, implore the Devs to get rid of downvotes altogether. I didn't think it would happen to me (so soon) per se, but things are unfolding exactly as I predicted, the moment I heard about this new voting system. No good can come of downvotes.

Agreed. I think we're talking about the same person too. :D
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    hawku001x wrote: »
    These buttons are perfect. Also, I want a "Banned" button.

I have a "banned" button. :mrgreen:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options

Have you ever thought of not abusing others then? :D For example, next time try to post something less intelligent than you usually do. This is STO forums after all, we can't have insightful posts here!
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    After giving this silly system a day. 1 insightful, 4 down and 2 up. notably a downvote on the same issue on this very thread, like someone had already made their mind up no matter what that i deserve it. So my early point about publically shaming has hit the point exactly. It is the exact same thought others had about the downvoting being a tool of abuse, especially with that 28 downvote.

get rid of it?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    I've seen people get downvoted simply because they said they would pass on particular new game content which the downvoter happens to like, that is pretty pathetic really.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Yeah this is a silly system to have in the forums.
    All people are already starting to just blindly up/down vote posts simply because of who is posting. It serves very little purpose when groups of friends or whatever just go about upvoting to promote some sense of them being better or more correct than anyone else. Or contrary to that, people just downvoting simply because they disagree.
    Reddit has the system sure but even there people have no clue how to use it sensibly, it's just a playground popularity contest and I don't think it brings anything meaning to the forums.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)

Not being someone that's got onto the whole antisocial media bandwagon or twitter, facebook, etc I can't see myself ever using them.

I gave you a lol. You are now part of the system. Muhahaha.​​

Ah well.

At least someone caught the sarcasm.