test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulans, Fly the Ships of Your Allies!

Comments

• thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Would like to be able to put romulan colors put on the ships and Romulan Colored fed/kdf bridge options. Even Romulan Colored Voyager Bridge/interior and the over 2000 zen Galaxy Bridge/interior. They might not be able to do at this time new bridge interior options but they could add colored variants of the bridges and interiors for Romulan Republic players. All they would need to do is change the coloring and leave everything else the same.
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Would like to be able to put romulan colors put on the ships and Romulan Colored fed/kdf bridge options. Even Romulan Colored Voyager Bridge/interior and the over 2000 zen Galaxy Bridge/interior. They might not be able to do at this time new bridge interior options but they could add colored variants of the bridges and interiors for Romulan Republic players. All they would need to do is change the coloring and leave everything else the same.

I think Romulans in general need more bridges. They literally only have one. The only other I can think of is the Kelvin which I am not sure if you can use on other ships apart from the Lobi ship it is from. Correct me if I am wrong.
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited May 2018

I think Romulans in general need more bridges. They literally only have one. The only other I can think of is the Kelvin which I am not sure if you can use on other ships apart from the Lobi ship it is from. Correct me if I am wrong.

Well given how difficult it is for them to make just one bridge and get it all set up. They won't add anymore bridges or interiors unless its a special one or just a bridge. But they could copy those existing federation and kdf interiors and change the coloring to be more romulan. While also giving romulans the option to use Romulan and Reman hull textures on Federation and Kdf ships. So they could give the romulans the romulan/reman colored variant of the Voyager and Galaxy interior and defiant interiors.
    Damn it.... 1000 words of explaining why the RSE isn't dead just got erased by adding a edit on my phone. Instead of saving it deleted it from existence. >_< I bet J.J. is smiling somewhere right now that it got obliterated just like Romulus.
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
  • georikzaberiskgeorikzaberisk Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    So this should mean the end of the 3 faction ship bundles going forward I hope... no real reason to buy all 3 factions anymore unless you want more AS cards. Frankly imo they should all be "Alliance ships" and only 1 faction.

No. I don't think so. To be honest it's more of a gamble in my opinion. Lets just say this, Currently the most numerous ships most specially with sci-vessels are with the Feds. In fact we all have to agree that no matter what other may say population wise Fed players are the ones coughing the money as of right now. Now to be honest I don't know if the Cryptic Staff had these in mind but here is what I think, If you can have let say a casual player or new Star Trek fan play the game who only knows the franchise let say because of the new movies or not deep in to the lore there is a high chance they will prefer making Feds. Feds after all are newbie friendly. But let say they where curious about the other factions and have already spent some zen on a ship or two for their feds, looking at let say the Romulans who I think is popular as much as the Klingons one of the thing that might turn-them off are the ship variety. But lets put that aside from now and will talk a bout it a bit later.

With the new system coming up, these curious players now can try the Roms without the ship issue since they can use their bought Fed ships. Now curiosity is a great factor. Most probably as time goes by these new players will come meet pro Romulan players and will learn about how good Romulan ships end game are (Well except Sci ships. And we know why. Not saying what they do have is bad though). This will create a potential market for these new Player to invest on end game ships for Roms. If that happens the rise of sale value for Rom ships will rise. These in turn means profit and profitable goods will make, if Cryptic actually does it right, Enable new selections for the Roms.

But how about the Klingons? Well maybe if these worked with the Roms then just maybe they will implement something similar to the KDF. But I can already see some KDF rioting over these in the forums. But numbers in sales do not lie though. And if the numbers went up for these two factions Cryptic, as I said before if they do these right, can ask permission to add more variety to the ships for the other factions.

Look, these are all just speculations and I would say you guys take this with the grain of salt because to be honest I really have no idea what the staff of Cryptic are thinking nor the situation they are in. But in a marketing stand point these are the logical thing I can see for this update.

I just hope if whatever they are aiming for in the end, they can make these game much better. I know they can't please anyone and I really didn't like some of the things they didn't do for the game, most specially for the PvP aspect of the game. There is still no viable Guild/Fleet War for instance. Yeah I know that PvP is not anyone's cake because some players just don't like it, not competitive or just plane sour losers. But it keeps some players in the game. I have always wanted Cryptic to implement RO2's arena system PvP where all equipment are given by default and some OP skills are restricted to make sure strategy and team work is the key factor in winning and not just some Ker'rat scenario where everyone can be hit and run or one hit kill (Which BTW mostly happens because people going to Ker'rat thinks that the gear they have that works on PvE would do fine on that area which is totally wrong.)

Anyway these are just my opinion and peace guys.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User

There is one other Romulan bridge: the Scimitars have a unique bridge. Granted it's literally JUST the bridge plus the Thalaron room, but it's a Romulan alternative. Not owning a Scimitar, I don't know if it can be used on other Romulan ships, I only saw it while visiting a friend's ship.
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    @terranempire
    I am told that a small percentage of the STO player base uses the Romulan faction. Maybe that's wrong. I don't know. I'm glad you have a whole fleet that's Romulan. That's cool. Have at it. But what are the statistics? What are most people playing as when they play STO? Is your fleet correctly representive of the player base as a whole, or are you playing in a minority neighborhood? What are the actual numbers?

Those numbers aside, there are still players who choose not to play as Romulan. There are a few reasons for this. (Including the obvious: they like Fed and KDF better). Some don't like the whole sub-faction thing, and the Romulans have the fewest playable races, to name a couple of reasons. My previous post was presenting why a number of players shy away from the Romulan faction, namely, the singularity core problem.

IMO, the devs did not do singularity cores and Romulan ships right. I will concede what others have said; that singularity cores are 40% less efficient and that is canon. If I were a Romulan engineer then the obvious solution is to make those singularity cores 40% bigger! Problem solved. Note that the D'deridex (sp) is more than 40% bigger than a Galaxy class cruiser, and that Picard never defeated one in battle (as far as I know). Yet the Galaxy can tank better in this game. Now, it is too late to fix this problem. Singularity cores are what they are in this game, and that is not going to change. I'm not asking for that. The easy solution at this point is to design a few Romulan ships with warp cores so that Romulan players like myself can have a Romulan ship that can play like a real cruiser. Every other faction gets to have cruisers, and I want one that looks Romulan. Maybe another answer is to design a new power core that is unique to STO that has the same power levels as a warp core.

I don't understand how making one Romulan cruiser (or even a few of them) with a warp core is going to "Federationfy" the Romulan faction. That is worse than having Romulan players play in actual Federation ships? This wouldn't take anything away from you. Even if the devs did this, you could still play with all the warbirds with singularity cores that you wanted. The warp core is hardly exclusive to the Federation. Every KDF ship uses them, as do the cross faction ships. It is also canon that the first warp cores the Romulans ever got were originally Klingon, not Federation.

You say that you and your fleet claim allegiance to the Romulan Star Empire. I assume that includes the Tal Shiar. You do know that the Tal Shiar took a couple of pure Romulan warbirds, added Borg technology and a warp core, and called them "Tal Shiar adapted" ships, right? How do you feel about that? If the Tal Shiar can use warp cores, so can the Republic.
    Wow, that sucks. Don't understand why a Dev would want to wipe everything non-Fed from the game. Less work? Why bother calling it STO if he prefers Feds only. Should have called it Federation Armada Online.
  • killer1986chriskiller1986chris Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    I have been hoping for T5/u to open up as they're technically not top of the line anymore but T6 is taking it further than I had hoped/wanted personally. However my admiralty will like this.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    it's actually a conscious choice by the devs, not the players. the storyline has been bent to rush forward the 'galactic alliance' at ludicrous speed, first by stripping the klingon faction of it's unique gameplay elements, and now by a de-facto no-more-Romulan ships arrangement, where you get to be a good federation citizen. Geko actually noted in a podcast this year that the only reason KDF still exists, is that it's too much trouble to remove from the engine.

Not surprised that Geko said that. He has openly hated the KDF and Romulans from the start. By the Great Bird, I can't wait till that man is fired, quits or retires. Whichever happens, it can't happen soon enough! Than we can have a multi-faction game again.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

got Scimitar? that bridge is fun. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    > @markhawkman said:
    > terranempire#7881 wrote: »
    >
    > thevampinator wrote: »
    >
    > Would like to be able to put romulan colors put on the ships and Romulan Colored fed/kdf bridge options. Even Romulan Colored Voyager Bridge/interior and the over 2000 zen Galaxy Bridge/interior. They might not be able to do at this time new bridge interior options but they could add colored variants of the bridges and interiors for Romulan Republic players. All they would need to do is change the coloring and leave everything else the same.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I think Romulans in general need more bridges. They literally only have one. The only other I can think of is the Kelvin which I am not sure if you can use on other ships apart from the Lobi ship it is from. Correct me if I am wrong.
    >
    >
    >
    > got Scimitar? that bridge is fun. :D

Yes, I bought the flagship bundle few months back. Haven't used them yet. Saving them until I get my Iconian set and working on getting a few starship traits from the command and battleships. Good to know there is another one besides the cramped one I currently use.
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »
    it's actually a conscious choice by the devs, not the players. the storyline has been bent to rush forward the 'galactic alliance' at ludicrous speed, first by stripping the klingon faction of it's unique gameplay elements, and now by a de-facto no-more-Romulan ships arrangement, where you get to be a good federation citizen. Geko actually noted in a podcast this year that the only reason KDF still exists, is that it's too much trouble to remove from the engine.

Not surprised that Geko said that. He has openly hated the KDF and Romulans from the start. By the Great Bird, I can't wait till that man is fired, quits or retires. Whichever happens, it can't happen soon enough! Than we can have a multi-faction game again.

Hmm I'm not sure how I feel about this. It might have been his personal opinion in regards to removing all things KDF from the game but I doubt its Cryptic's overall stance on the matter.

Thinking about it although the pro-Klingon player group is small, many of them are both loud and passionate who will buy stuff to support their faction. I doubt it costs Cryptic anything/much to keep already existing KDF content in the game and there will always be new players who will buy it. Even if the gain is small that's still more profit being brought to Cryptic than if they'd removed the KDF options. Its just more profitable to leave the wider array of options as they are for those who love Klingons.

As for adding new KDF or KDF-exclusive content..... I honestly can't say whether its profitable for Cryptic in the long run. Given that they still do from time to time suggests that yeah it is at least a bit profitable. Again profit they'd lose out on if they stopped making anything new for the KDF. But I don't know the metrics. I don't know how hard it is to design and fit on different skins for each faction once a new ship is designed.

Anyway tl;dr.....

I'm not sure Cryptic as a whole would want to remove the KDF faction/stuff even if they could. It'll always generate profit from the pro-KDF players and even ones who are very predominantly SF like me, but still run a Fed-RR and KDF character or two like me.
    mikoto8472 wrote: »
    Hmm I'm not sure how I feel about this. It might have been his personal opinion in regards to removing all things KDF from the game but I doubt its Cryptic's overall stance on the matter.
    It's little more than an excuse to bash Geko. It's so over-exaggerated at this point it's not really "true."
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • midevilchaos#4670 midevilchaos Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    Glad to hear this tremendous news. I love the prospect of flying different ships from a different faction. For those who hate the idea... simple solution: just don't fly non-Rom ships. Simple as pie! No one is forcing anyone to fly Fed/KDF ships.
    mikoto8472 wrote: »
    It's little more than an excuse to bash Geko. It's so over-exaggerated at this point it's not really "true."

except he said it himself, more than once over the years, Mark. "KDF is Unprofitable", "I wish we'd never made the faction"-he said it. further, his actions support the statements.

one of the GOOD things about Geko, is that he's been rather more consistently honest than is really expected with regards to his stances and positions. He's never made a secret of his disdain for Klingons, or their players, in the entire time he's been around. the only reason KDF's gotten anything post Legacy of Romulus, has been because Salamiinferno's been making him do it. Geko originated the multi-year moratorium on KDF in the c-store, he's basically established the conditions here, and it's mostly an outgrowth of his decisions combined with his statements.

quit gaslighting on this, it's not 'overblown' to observe that the lead developer (the only stable middle-manager in the team) is openly hostile to an entire segment of the playerbase, and has been for years.

He's been open about it, nothing covert, dirty, sneaky, or deceptive here, there's no 'conspiracy' to uncover. "Geko doesn't like Klingons" is like "Nancy Pelosi doesn't like Republicans", okay?

acknowledging an openly expressed position is not mongering, Mark, it's simply acknowledging a fact.
    See, the part of your diatribe that's wrong is that you're choosing to interpret it as a statement of intent, rather than as an assessment of the reality of the situation.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    i am an avid Romulan player (KDF aligned) and have NONE actively played FED toons (my AOY toon still hasn't finished all the missions).

It seems to me like Cryptic is aiming at blurring the "Faction" thing altogether.
    Which, on itself, is perhaps a good idea, IF this means more new content and more frequent queues, and longer lifespan of the game. Frankly i have no information on STO's profitability as of 2018.

Also, it would mean every new "faction" gets an own starting story, then we all play as alliance.

It COULD mean a starting arc for vulcans, cardassians or andorians, or any other playable race, THIS - i would find AWESOME. I would even delete some toons and start these anew :D

It would mean there could finally be a new vulcan ship or andorian ship on the way.

It would mean my Romulan/your Fed could play the Fek'hiri mission arc.

It would mean more space-barbie if uniforms were shared.

It would mean less dev time on developing new missions for "the alliance" - so perhaps a new release to every Film would be possible (yes, starting with the V'Ger) :D .

Theme change - do you think there will be a new recruitment event coupled with the new release?

• duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User

Notably, the "Klingon" blog this week suggests they're going to crumble the Klingon empire to dust...off-stage to facilitate that, with a manpower shortage and a destroyed economy, along with domestic instability. Which is a GREAT excuse to not do any more Klingon ships and relegate them to 'non faction' or 'cross faction' offerings for the rest of eternity until the servers go offline or they can strong-arm the tech people into melding the factions on a mechanical level.

Perhaps that is the reason why there are no T7 ships being released?
    IMHO also a good thing, we don't need new tier of ships, but we can always expand/evolve the ones we have with some kind of system to be introduced..

Do you mean the official blog found here in the "news" section?

It's both, Mark. The statement-of-intent and the outcomes are consistent and self-reinforcing. When Geko made that statement, 20% of STO players were running KDF toons, and that was with a barrier of having to level a Fed to 25 to even make one, there were a handful of missions built by devs who don't work at Cryptic anymore, and most KDF players had to level via PvP and grinding the random encounters in their isolated sector.
    I remember that, it didn't suck as much as you claim. I do have to question how many of that 20% figure is people who made A KDF character and didn't play them regularly. I made a KDF character back when the level barrier was 8. I got bored of having almost nothing to do and didn't go back until the level barrier got upped to 25. See, PRIOR to the level increasing to 25, THAT was when playing KDF REALLY sucked. The level cap increase to 25 coincided with the release of the DoFF system. At which point a lot of people made KDF alts for the dilithium farming and not because they like Klingons. Oh right, those dilithium farming alts might be part of the 20% figure too.
    the "Unprofitable" statement was in relation to what was, at the time, the worst ship for the money Cryptic had ever offered-on release, the Bortasque was a gimped and crippled version of the Odyssey, and the Varanus (which sold 'in the dozens') was a gimped copy of the Free Federation science vessel available at level 40.
    You whine about this a lot. Except it's exaggerated to the point of being untrue as has been mentioned every time you'd brought it up before.
    Poor quality doesn't sell, but it was enough of an excuse to essentially abandon the faction (except for the work done in off-hours by a few staffers for no money) for just over 2 1/2 years.
    Right... and I'm sure you would have me beleive it's just a coincidence that this was the same time period where almost nothing was done elsewhere in the game?
    During that time, Geko consistently denigrated and expressed personal hostility toward KDF players, and the faction, and termed it (rather famously) as "Monster play."
    nice try.... But Monster play had a specific context and you're willfully ignoring it. It was specifically due to the PvP focus the KDF had at launch. Which got ERASED when the starting level for KDF got upped to 25.
    but at no point has Geko ever been other than straight with his views or his intentions, and those views and intentions get carried out, because he's been the only consistent policy-maker on the staff.
    Your deliberately skewed comments do not actually reflect the reality though.
    duaths1 wrote: »
    Notably, the "Klingon" blog this week suggests they're going to crumble the Klingon empire to dust...off-stage to facilitate that, with a manpower shortage and a destroyed economy, along with domestic instability. Which is a GREAT excuse to not do any more Klingon ships and relegate them to 'non faction' or 'cross faction' offerings for the rest of eternity until the servers go offline or they can strong-arm the tech people into melding the factions on a mechanical level.
    Perhaps that is the reason why there are no T7 ships being released?
    IMHO also a good thing, we don't need new tier of ships, but we can always expand/evolve the ones we have with some kind of system to be introduced..

Do you mean the official blog found here in the "news" section?
    99% sure he's talking about the story blog with Martok talking to J'mpok. Also 99% sure Pat's comment is little more than hysteria.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • jtfrost1jtfrost1 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    I'd also like the ability to use the Vizier Promotional Command Assault Cruiser on more of my characters please
    Post edited by jtfrost1 on
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    my main is a romulan captain, I use various ships, but never I could use a fed ship, they are just ugly. I have deleted 1 fed toon and replaced it by a kdf toon, the kdf faction is more interesting. i hope that the devs will continue to create special stuff for the roms and the klinks my favourites factions, but this is a great idea for those who are interested.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    The ability makes sense considering the Romulans are not a fully independent faction, but in practice it is very situational at best. I think it is fairly safe to say that no one (or at most very few) makes a Romulan character intending to fly a foreign ship.

That said, I run a Dhelan and an account-wide unlocked Rhode Island in parallel with each other on the one character I have that is still of the proper level range for it, switching off to try different ways of doing the missions, but I would not even consider running a Federation ship instead of a Romulan one as one of the leveling ships.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I started claiming all the Federation T5/T6 Store ships for my Romulan Characters for Admiralty, what a chore that was. Now my Romulans have the largest Admiralty fleets. In the midst of doing my Vanguard Recruit, more claims there.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.