test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Play as a Jem'Hadar When Victory is Life Launches!

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    So, any chance of playing a Vorta with the same mechanics in place?

(Simply have a Vorta skin over the Jem'Hadar body and no need for the White (but no Shroud either)
    Telekinetic powers are an acceptable replacement. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    So, any chance of playing a Vorta with the same mechanics in place?

(Simply have a Vorta skin over the Jem'Hadar body and no need for the White (but no Shroud either)

tenor.gif?itemid=3992247
  • Options
    vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    fftt wrote: »
    I sure hope with the jump start to level 60 Cryptic isn't skipping some of the benefits that would normally be gained by gold members for actually leveling their characters: retrain tokens, BOff slots, inventory space, etc. And I was really expecting a Gamma Quadrant recruitment event with the release of ViL similar to the previous recruitment events where you worked towards achievements like leveling, crafting, and duty officers but if everything is given to us at creation what'll we work towards?

I think that's the real reason behind the end of non-LTS subscriptions, and the beginning of the Elite Starter Pack at this time. The next "faction" starts at level 60, so no level-up goodies for them from subscribing. So you buy the Elite Starter Pack and then grab the Reclaim version, and voila, you get most of the subscription goodies on your already-level-60 Jemmie.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    fftt wrote: »
    I sure hope with the jump start to level 60 Cryptic isn't skipping some of the benefits that would normally be gained by gold members for actually leveling their characters: retrain tokens, BOff slots, inventory space, etc.

That's excellent point. I'm LTS and when I make a new toon I look forward to getting all my leveling bonuses including what you mention, but also free ships (which are useful at End Game for Admiralty), etc.

Cryptic, can we get any details on this, please?

Edit: Not just subscriber, but also Vet rewards?
    Post edited by lordhavelock on

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    The lack of a Cardassian faction is huge wasted potential for this game.
  • Options
    locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    This new faction is just screaming "Make a ton of us and do admiralty and doffing all day long"... I can already feel a disturbance in the exchanges.

tenor.gif
  • Options
    cross821cross821 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    The lack of a Cardassian faction is huge wasted potential for this game.
    Yep. All bc they wanted to make JM, its both funny and sad.

• Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    I like this but I really wish playable Vorta were also an option, even if it was a race added to the other faction like Cardassians.
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I really do perfer that the Faction is called The Dominion rather than Jem'Hadar. That way if/when they expand it to include Vorta (and others, though they didn't show very many species from the Gamma Quadrant in DS9, which was still very much set in the Alpha Quadrant, despite the Wormhole), it's not hindered by a Species name.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,034 Community Moderator
    I really do perfer that the Faction is called The Dominion rather than Jem'Hadar. That way if/when they expand it to include Vorta (and others, though they didn't show very many species from the Gamma Quadrant in DS9, which was still very much set in the Alpha Quadrant, despite the Wormhole), it's not hindered by a Species name.

The one problem with that is we've really only seen a single species involved with the Dominion Military, that being the Jem'Hadar. The Vorta act more like administrators.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    This unique process has them combat-ready within days of being birthed.

jem'hadar are HATCHED, not birthed​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    "Jump-Started Careers..." Yeah, not sure about this. Kinda want to do it the old fashioned way. But, what the hell its all good.
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • Options
    schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    vonestel wrote: »
    Is this something a lot of you have been clamoring for? Sure I get it's new content, it's something different, some of the game mechanics stuff sound interesting. I'll play one myself for a bit just to see the new stuff. But really? A Jem'Hadar? Why? They're a slave race, I pity them more than admire them. Apart from pure gaming reasons, why does anyone want to run a Jem'Hadar?

Different forms of media can frame the same characters in different ways.

On the one hand, "we're a race of genetically engineered clone troopers, and fighting for our creators is all we have" is a tragic and menacing hook for a character in a live action drama.

On the other hand, "kicking butt and being awesome is the basis for our entire culture" is a pure and simple hook for a character in a video game.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    The jump-start chareer is another attempt to gain new players and KEEP them interested. They have said time and time again that the are pretty successful at getting people to try out the game, but most of them quit for good just a few hours in. That's why they revamped the Fed tutorial and early missions. And that's probably why they open up the endgame to brand-new players.
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    Please re-consider about the Vorta ... you can't make a Dominion faction without playable Vorta! :( Jham'Hadar is great and all, but without the Vorta, it's like only half-a-faction. :(
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    It was already stated there is no playable Vorta and that leaves Boffs, but i wish Cryptic would shut this Vorta idea down for good and FCT it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    solvedsolved Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Please, there will be no Dominion Faction. We are gettin' the Jem Hadar .. Odos privat Army. Nothing else.
  • Options
    jabofneurospinejabofneurospine Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    I'm a bit conflicted on the instant level 60. It'll save a lot of time and effort, but also make the characters a bit detached. Although I suppose the character feeling like a pregen seems reasonable considering that in a sense that's exactly what the jem'hadar are.

I'm also not sure about the ability to start as a jem'hadar without playing the game before. It's good in concept on paper, but I've personally ruined my experience with a couple of games by trying to start with an instant jump to cap and have friends who have done the same. Some people may go back and start from the beginning and end up playing the game, but a bad initial experience with a game is really bad for player retention. Of course it'll help the new player problem if the starting gear, skills, traits, etc are well thought out. That said, I'm not sure there's really a better way to make a new faction appealing to veteran players who would see leveling new characters as a grind that's wasted on a character that isn't one they've already invested their time in. I'm not sure it'll work out great, but I think it's worth trying at least and there's always a chance none of my concerns will be an issue.

I'm still excited for the expansion of course, can't wait to play a jem'hadar. I am a bit disappointed about the vanguard jem'hadar just being pay for advantage jem'hadar+ rather than being something with their own identity though.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    "Choosing a Faction
    "At the end of their tutorial, Jem’Hadar will be presented with a choice of assisting the Federation or Klingon Empire."

So, it's a romulan rip off?
    You're not even going with a new faction...
    Well, that sucks...

worse still is the way it was written in that paragraph which makes no sense:
    STO Blog wrote:
    Choosing a Faction

At the end of their tutorial, Jem’Hadar will be presented with a choice of assisting the Federation or Klingon Empire. Which of these poor, pathetic Alpha Quadrant races most needs the help of the mighty Jem’Hadar is entirely up to you, and like the Romulans before them, Jem’Hadar will be able to command most of the starships of their allies.

Why it makes no sense is because they are allied now, what good would it do to upset a new ally by making veiled threats about their inferiority when it was proven when they were enemies that they weren't nearly as inferior as is claimed.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @fun4ever#6757 said:
    > Is there will be Jem'Hadar Recruitment Event???
    > I hope so... And i hope rewards will be as good as Temporal Agent Recruitment (but not as lackluster Delta).

Yes and according to Tribble it will start on 6th June
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Pass.... Why bother?
    Victory is life? Really?
    I thought we weren't doing any "bad factions"?
    What about the Cardis? What about the Ferengi? What about the Mirror universe?
    The jem jadar have been done to death already. Thanks but no thanks, I'm not interested.

Technically, the Dominion aren't acting as the enemy in this expansion, based on Scylla and Charybdis. They are going to be an ally in the upcoming battle with the Hur'q.

Cardassians are more of a Federation protectorate at this point. They're not doing a faction out of them. Nor are they likely going to do one for the Ferengi.

The Mirror universe is however a "bad faction" in terms of the Terran Empire. It's a long shot to get them.
    "Choosing a Faction
    "At the end of their tutorial, Jem’Hadar will be presented with a choice of assisting the Federation or Klingon Empire."

So, it's a romulan rip off?
    You're not even going with a new faction...
    Well, that sucks...

Cryptic is calling them a faction because when it comes down to it, they will have a unique storyline (the tutorial at least), their own transporter effects and such, and they get their own boffs and equipment, including ships.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    From what I have read at this time there seems very little reason to create a Jem hadar character after the tutorial you ally with the Fed of KDF. You get a free jem hadar ship and you can use fed or kdf ones once you pick the faction you ally with. your already specced and some other grinds are already taken care off. but I just don't believe the new faction is worth me making a alt for this expansion,
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    Paid 129.99 for the top package. Now I have to pay more for Odo's Vanguard Jem'Hadar.
    At least there is still room to add Vorta and Breen this way even though my wallet wont be happy about it.
  • Options
    richyrich1991richyrich1991 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    Overall I'm happy with how this sounds though if they were determined to to do the species lock for the Dominion I would have given the science toons the Vorta instead (as there are Vorta doctors etc.) then the Jem'Hadar can have the other two.

And as we're starting at level 60 I was just wondering what pre-Hurq content will we get access to? Can we still go to the other battlezones like the Dyson sphere with the Voth or to Kobali Prime to fight the Vaadwaur etc.
    I get that in canon they would only really serve the Dominion's interests but as players we want to fight a variety of enemies.
    "As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives.
    This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Victory is Life!"
    njflWNG.jpg
  • Options
    gothkid1972gothkid1972 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    dessniper wrote: »
    Paid 129.99 for the top package. Now I have to pay more for Odo's Vanguard Jem'Hadar.
    At least there is still room to add Vorta and Breen this way even though my wallet wont be happy about it.

Odo's Vanguard is just the Jem Vanguard from the Top Package...no need to spend extra
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    szim wrote: »
    The jump-start chareer is another attempt to gain new players and KEEP them interested. They have said time and time again that the are pretty successful at getting people to try out the game, but most of them quit for good just a few hours in. That's why they revamped the Fed tutorial and early missions. And that's probably why they open up the endgame to brand-new players.

Agreed - most MMO's do this now. In fact we should really count ourselves lucky that, as things stand this only applies to newly created Jem'Hadar characters. SWTOR introduced something called the 'Master Datacron' (or something like that) that instantly converts ANY new character to maxed-out level, and drops a heap of max level items in the character's inventory too.

Though I guess, depending on how successful the expansion is, it's not too big a stretch of the imagination to see STO doing the same at some point, especially since they've implement it in a limited fashion with the Jem'Hadar faction.

EVERY MMO does this now...Honestly this is the Only one I play, that doesnt offer a max level token to purchase. Alot of them even give the tokens for free to subs, or everyone on Anniversary's.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Honestly would prefer a Mirror Universe Faction...Most of my Fleet, and friends only watched the TRIBBLE Mirror episodes, in fact it was about the only time I heard anything positive about TRIBBLE (Pretty sure the Mirror Universe is a lot more popular than most think)