Install Arc
Options

ST Discovery: Lethe (1x06)

Comments

• Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    I like it
    kekvin wrote: »
    Personally i think the admiral is going to learn from mudd about what lorca did to his last crew and escape.

That's a good one.

From Mudd you can only learn one thing: Don't believe that man a single word.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I don't like it
    2. Holograms are everywhere in DIS. It even replaced the ship-to-ship onscreen-communication. Do you really want to nitpick about holoDECKs now? They never said on-screen when exactly it was invented or when they started to have them on starships.
    Why not? You think it's believable that it took Stafleet 108 years to get from Discovery's holodeck to TNG's holodeck? In the first 5 episodes of Discovery holograms were only half-transparent, 3-dimensional projections that had no substance. Now not only do holograms have substance, they can also be interacted with. If this kind of technology had been available in 2256 why would Picard and his crew be amazed to see the same thing in 2364.

Nitpicky you might say and maybe you're right. But it's the accumulation of small inconsitencies like this that makes it harder and harder to believe that Discovery is in fact an updated version of 23rd century Star Trek.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I like it
    szim wrote: »
    2. Holograms are everywhere in DIS. It even replaced the ship-to-ship onscreen-communication. Do you really want to nitpick about holoDECKs now? They never said on-screen when exactly it was invented or when they started to have them on starships.
    Why not? You think it's believable that it took Stafleet 108 years to get from Discovery's holodeck to TNG's holodeck? In the first 5 episodes of Discovery holograms were only half-transparent, 3-dimensional projections that had no substance. Now not only do holograms have substance, they can also be interacted with. If this kind of technology had been available in 2256 why would Picard and his crew be amazed to see the same thing in 2364.

Nitpicky you might say and maybe you're right. But it's the accumulation of small inconsitencies like this that makes it harder and harder to believe that Discovery is in fact an updated version of 23rd century Star Trek.

Inconsistencies have been there throughout Star Trek. And DIS is more consistent so far than Enterprise, which trolled continuity right from the start and a lot more in just four seasons with a lame excuse of a temporal cold war as a cover-up.

Now... holodecks and holograms are just that. What kind of improvement aside from better quality and stability do you expect? The holograms for communication for example are not the same quality as in 'For the uniform' on DS9 for example (though in that episode it was really just a gimmick for giggles).

The holographic klingons seemed to fluctuate a lot and didn't leave remains, at least not for long (may be to save RAM). Worf's training-programs on TNG had defeated enemies laying around, and on his recreations of klingon folklore on DS9 Jadzia mentioned the program to eventually have corpses and blood everywhere while they were preparing them.

Basically it's like how you're going to improve everything over time. Not every technology makes hyperjumps while it's improved upon over time.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    OK, you guys want to debate, argue, and/or bash on the show, fine. Please don't insult, demean, and/or bash on each other. Thank you.

Huqv2Ci.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    I like it
    Oh, I liked this very much.

I also liked how it added another facet to the Sarek/Spock conflict. Sarek would have disappointed either way when Spock decided to not join the Expeditionary Fleet/Science Academy, but that he had sacrificed the career of Micheal for nothing would add a level of bitterness.

Also interesting to see that the Vulcans are still quite racist towards humans (or anyone).
    Why are they trying to make Captain Lorca so very unlikeable? I'm pretty sure he expected the meeting to be a trap before the admiral even left the Discovery. And he refuses to make a rescue attempt because he doesn't want to lose his command. Ah and oh yes, he's a psycho.

Adding this to the usual plethora of inconsistencies, like a holodeck in the TOS era, turns this into the worst episode so far.

3/10

Like I said in another posting, on the psycho scale, I give the captain 4.5 out 5 chainsaws.

TRIBBLE: We enjoy pissing off the fans.

Right? In hindsight even the sex seemed manipulative. He wanted to get her off his back, to make her overcome her concerns...

In hindsight? I think that was clear from the start, most likely even to her. But she knew prying further wouldn't help. (And crazy is good in the sack. ;) ) And hey, it actually helped her figuring him out.
    This is why I like Lorca as a character in a story. Things happen around him, and because of him. As a person, I wouldn't like to be within five miles of him, but that's an entirely separate matter. (Mind you, I don't understand why he doesn't set off Saru's threat ganglia. He sets off mine, and I haven't even got any.)
    The only real plot hole. :p
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I like it

In hindsight? I think that was clear from the start, most likely even to her. But she knew prying further wouldn't help. (And crazy is good in the sack. ;) ) And hey, it actually helped her figuring him out.

It also helped her almost getting killed. But no risk, no fun, eh? :D

Seriously though. While I appreciate certain parallels between Lorca and Dukat... that phaser was set to kill. That was red glow.

I kinda understand now what might have happened to Picard between Generations and First Contact. Picard broke into a medical lab of Starfleet, got hands on a sample of Lorca's DNA and injected that to himself...

It makes perfect sense now!
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Also interesting to see that the Vulcans are still quite racist towards humans (or anyone).

well, that's hardly a new thing - it extended all the way into the 2370s, after all​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    I like it
    valoreah wrote: »
    I don't remember Kirk ever sleeping with a superior officer to get what he wants.

He slept with quite a few alien beauties to get what he wanted, and I have zero doubt if he needed to do so with a superior officer to get his way, he would have.

Usually, there was always either a genuine emotional component for him there, or they actually were manipulating him in some way. And he usually was protecting the crew or the Federation in some manner, not his own hide.

But I think that's all fine. We don't have to like Lorca as a person. He clearly isn't an exemplary ideal of a Starfleet Captain (aka he's not Kirk, even if he has a way with ladies). But his character is definitely interesting.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I don't like it

Inconsistencies have been there throughout Star Trek. And DIS is more consistent so far than Enterprise, which trolled continuity right from the start and a lot more in just four seasons with a lame excuse of a temporal cold war as a cover-up.

Now... holodecks and holograms are just that. What kind of improvement aside from better quality and stability do you expect? The holograms for communication for example are not the same quality as in 'For the uniform' on DS9 for example (though in that episode it was really just a gimmick for giggles).

The holographic klingons seemed to fluctuate a lot and didn't leave remains, at least not for long (may be to save RAM). Worf's training-programs on TNG had defeated enemies laying around, and on his recreations of klingon folklore on DS9 Jadzia mentioned the program to eventually have corpses and blood everywhere while they were preparing them.

Basically it's like how you're going to improve everything over time. Not every technology makes hyperjumps while it's improved upon over time.

I've never been a fan of prequels and I've never been a fan of time travel either. Both create tons of inconsistencies and only mess with what has been a somewhat persistent fictional world. In my opinion Discovery would have worked much better in the post-DS9 era. The new propulsion system and technology such as holographic communication, the war against radicalized Klingons, a Federation that was put on the edge by the Dominion war, making them think less about morals and more about survival.

I can't help but notice such inconsistencies. I can live with the updated looks of Discovery. Making it look like 60s Star Trek would have been silly. But it's just as silly to rewrite integral parts of the Star Trek canon for no apparent reason other than to create controversy.

And no, not every technology makes hyperjumps. But then we are not amazed by technology that looks more or less the same today as it did 100 years ago.
  • Options
    jiralinriajiralinria Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    I like it
    Well I really like Discovery, despite being skeptical at first. So this episode really makes me wish they would release the next episode sooner :)
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I like it
    I've never been a fan of prequels and I've never been a fan of time travel either. Both create tons of inconsistencies and only mess with what has been a somewhat persistent fictional world. In my opinion Discovery would have worked much better in the post-DS9 era. The new propulsion system and technology such as holographic communication, the war against radicalized Klingons, a Federation that was put on the edge by the Dominion war, making them think less about morals and more about survival.

I can't help but notice such inconsistencies. I can live with the updated looks of Discovery. Making it look like 60s Star Trek would have been silly. But it's just as silly to rewrite integral parts of the Star Trek canon for no apparent reason other than to create controversy.

And no, not every technology makes hyperjumps. But then we are not amazed by technology that looks more or less the same today as it did 100 years ago.

About prequels... well I didn't expect much when DIS started, especially since I disliked ENT so much, but it managed to surprise me.

That somewhat persistent fictional world was persistent in a political "landscape" mostly. There was much less overall consistency than one might think.

The most persistent thing about Star Trek was that we have had three major factions and cultures from the start, with the federation being a matured space-USA and the klingon empire, and the romulan star empire.

Their presentations and depictions fluctuated a lot. The only things that were always set in stone were:

Takes place mostly in alpha and beta quadrants.

Federation is a utopian society that successfully unified many cultures and worlds under a single banner, granting prosperity and help to everybody in need.

Klingons have always been a proud people of warriors. That's it. Everything else changed a lot between TOS, TNG, ENT and now DIS.

Romulans were always a big secret, on TNG they were way more prominent. They are secretive and also changed their habits quite a bit. On TOS they were shooting non-romulans on sight (for the most part). On TNG they were challenging the other powers by trying to trick them into starting a war FOR them.

DS9 fleshed out the cardassian union quite a lot, but they rose from nothing to greatness and were reduced to ashes again (I personally think the most logical thing to do for them after the Dominion War would be to just join the federation that will certainly be happy to make that happen anyway).

That's basically all that is "persistent". Everything else is somewhat interchangeable. If things look like they looked in TOS or not doesn't have any impact on the story of DIS.

I don't mind their heavy use of holographic tech. It doesn't really impact anything. And viewscreen-communication would make a standard-TV-audience yawn because that'd be like "so they still use a better skype in the future? Do they play chat-roulette with Ferengi?".

I don't mind that klingon birds of prey and D7's look different. I don't mind that klingons are a lot more fanatic, because to an extent they've been like that already. They definately act like klingons would act before Praxis blew up, just more extreme.

DIS has a much stronger focus on establishing an actual STORY (like DS9 did in parts), CHARACTERS and PERSONALITIES that are not just patterns of perfect officers or humans/aliens. They have motives for what they do.

The spore-drive is *brand-new* and highly experimental in Discovery. Nobody, not even the remaining team of scientists fully understands it yet. It's new to both the audience as well to the people on the show. Transwarp was brand-new in STIII. And Starfleet didn't mention using it again ever since. So... may be, spore drive will eventually be a failure like the Excelsior-experiment? I'm certain there will be a good explanation why it'll never come up again. It was also never explained why exactly they dropped Excelsior's transwarp. Because Scotty's sabotage can't be it - that'd make Starfleet angry, but not have them drop the entire experiment.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    I don't like it
    I think Saru perfectly knows what Lorca can be capable of. At least he gets that Lorca is to be reckoned with, that's why he told Burnham she'd be a perfect fit for Lorca when she tested his reaction to Ripper. But Saru also has faith in the chain of command, so an actual captain he serves under will be less likely to worry him personally than a convict.

I'm not entirely convinced that is the case as we don't really know what Saru knows or how much he knows of Lorca. Saru could be almost completely oblivious to the Captain because he could respect Lorca so much as a captain he would just take Lorca at his word, so in reality he knows virtually nothing of his commanding officer. But then again he may know everything but that wouldn't fit with Saru's moral compass to allow such a dangerous man to remain in command of a Starship almost knowing Lorca's goals do not align with Starfleets or those of the crew.

I would like to think that Saru is still adjusting to Lorca's style of command. Going from the cautious thinker of a commanding officer to one that seems to suffer from ADD and PTSD would be very different. However, I think Saru is a little more suspicious of his commanding officer after the unusual change in behavior when it comes to approaching a situation. I would assume Lorca thought it could be a trap and made mention of the Admiral's qualifications to fulfill the mission. Lorca also knows Starfleet tends to play it safe, so they will not send in their "secret weapon", at least not yet anyway. I think Saru will eventually question the Captain's reluctance to not act to save the Admiral when in every other situation, Lorca tends to do what he wants and that usually reflects on diving into any given situation head first.
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    I like it
    So, All Access was acting a fool last night.

I had lots of skips, stutters, and buffering issues. I know this has happened for others, but this was the first time for me.

I liked what I did see, but I want to watch a full stream of it again, uninterrupted.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    I like it
    mhall85 wrote: »
    So, All Access was acting a fool last night.

I had lots of skips, stutters, and buffering issues. I know this has happened for others, but this was the first time for me.

I liked what I did see, but I want to watch a full stream of it again, uninterrupted.

You definitely should, I think it was maybe one of the best episodes yet.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    Then again, perhaps Lorca does set off Saru's threat ganglia - but what might happen should Saru disobey sets them off worse.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    alexhurlbutalexhurlbut Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    Wanting to see something matching the era, not to mention likable characters, and not generic sci fi is not zealous.

No, however being unwilling to accept change of any kind, regardless of how egregious or slight, is being zealous.

I'm sorry, but you consider the Klingon Retconning, including the iconic ships, "slight"?
  • Options
    I like it
    Wanting to see something matching the era, not to mention likable characters, and not generic sci fi is not zealous.

No, however being unwilling to accept change of any kind, regardless of how egregious or slight, is being zealous.

I'm sorry, but you consider the Klingon Retconning, including the iconic ships, "slight"?
    Yeah, pretty much. I liked the old ship and the old look, no doubt about that, but it's just not really what I found important. TNG already retconned the Klingon culture, so I am eager to see whether they genuinely go into a completely different direction, or are trying to reconcile the TOS Series, TOS movie and TNG era Klingons.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Maybe the reason why Lorca is being portrayed as a d*** is due to plans to get rid of him either by being imprisoned or killed. If we had Picard killed off and Riker take over in Best of Both Worlds, then lots of fans would have been upset. However, if Lorca is removed from Discovery, then there would be some cheering.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    • Yeah the Constitution had a holodeck in TAS. It's hardly surprising that a technology Starfleet has known about since ENT wouldn't be around in DSC. The fact they are amazed by it in TNG can be chalked up to the same excuse you use for the brand new time-warp drive in The Cage.
    • Lorca is not supposed to be sympathetic (or that's the impression I'm getting anyway). Burnham is the hero (or protagonist rather) not Lorca.
    • I'm not a fan of the racing stripes on the sides of the shuttles.
    • Vulcan looks godsdamn beautiful with those red trees. And very in keeping with ENT and 09 as well. Even the interior of the Vulcan Shuttle was very retro. The exterior vaguely resembled the lander from FC.
    • I thought the Vulcan head of the Science Academy looked quite like the one from the KT that Spock told to go stick his ears where the sun shineth not. Right down to the casual racism.
    • Whomever is playing Sarek does a really good job of blending the TOS and KT versions of him into a single character.
    • I'm starting to love Kol. He's amusingly evil. Like Gawron but actually intimidating.
    • The Klingon council members we see now in the flesh don't look as goofy as they did as holograms but they're still hugely hit and miss. I like some Klingons makeup (Voq and Kol especially) but others, like the female one with a necklace over her face or the one covered in scars (who looked very Reman) look daft.

Not a single ship has been retconed. You know, as not a single ship that has previously existed has popped up yet to be retconned.

And the whole Klingon situation is an insertion of differences not alteration of existing ones, thus not significant.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    alexhurlbutalexhurlbut Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    Yeah, pretty much. I liked the old ship and the old look, no doubt about that, but it's just not really what I found important. TNG already retconned the Klingon culture, so I am eager to see whether they genuinely go into a completely different direction, or are trying to reconcile the TOS Series, TOS movie and TNG era Klingons.
    Reconcile? When we saw that *all* of the leaders of the Great Houses were like the 'clergy' Klingons? There's nothing to suggest that this revamp look is supposed to be an ethnicity among the Klingons.

• Options
    kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    I like it
    This epsoide also plays well into spocks back story in 09 As well as tos. Id say they r keeping to cannon surprisingly well
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Also, on Vulcan at the beginning, what is that in the sky? Does Vulcan have a moon or not. Is TMP more canon than the frequently retconed TOS? Is the fact that TMP was further retconed with the removal of the large object in the Directors Cut a stance on that?

Is the fact that Delta Vega is a large planetoid in the Vulcan system in 09 a retcon of TMP:DCs retcon of TMPs retcon of TOS' statement that there is no moon of Vulcan? Does DSC back this up?

Is there more than one planet called Vulcan? Is Spock a pathological liar? Is Spock even his name?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    I like it
    Reconcile? When we saw that *all* of the leaders of the Great Houses were like the 'clergy' Klingons? There's nothing to suggest that this revamp look is supposed to be an ethnicity among the Klingons.

Actually, I am not talking about the looks, but the culture. The 23rd century Klingons seemed really different from the TNG Klingons. There is nothing Samurai Viking about them in TOS or the movies. They were, as we all know, basically Soviet Russia stand-ins then.
    And I hope we get to see some of the cultural changes that the Klingons underwent that lead them on that path.
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    I like it
    • So, I'm not sure if I'm buying into Burnham's connection to Sarek. I've made my peace with the long-distance mind meld, as "The Immunity Syndrome" shows that Vulcans can have some sort of telepathic connection over long distances. I guess I just don't know where they're going with this, and I hope that this connection doesn't remain as "cool but unnecessary."
    • Lorca is just so interesting to me. I'm not ruling out the idea that Lorca is from the MU, but part of me hopes this is a red herring. I get shades of so many captains/admirals in him... a little PTSD-riddled Matt Decker, a little Ransom, a little Kirk, a little Jellico, a little Pressman. I don't know if he is playing the long con, or if he's a seriously troubled & broken man. He's quite the character.
    • I thought Cornwell was going to die outright, which I wasn't on-board with. She played a good opposite to Lorca, and I want to see more of her (because she'll unlock the mystery of Lorca, I think). Plus, she called out a lot of the questionable things Lorca has been doing, which makes sense for a good Starfleet admiral to do. Thumbs up for her!
    • I don't think this did a thing to dissuade the Ash Tyler/Voq theory. In fact, some of these scenes even reinforced this idea for me. A good spy would have a good cover story, but Tyler's story about his parents are a good cover for anyone who wants to start poking around. It really made me wonder if they are going to use Tyler to betray Lorca, maybe by even killing him.
    • Glad to see Stamets isn't Evil Stamets, and is just... high? LOL, glad to see we'll see more of him and his condition next week.
    • Enterprise and spock name drops. Cool, I guess. And I don't really care that Discovery has a holographic laser tag arena. Canon is still intact for me, LOL.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    mhall85 wrote: »
    • Glad to see Stamets isn't Evil Stamets, and is just... high? LOL, glad to see we'll see more of him and his condition next week.

Still doesn't disprove that Stamets isn't from the Mirror Universe. Although if he starts growing a goatee, then we will know for sure.