test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

ST Discovery: Lethe (1x06)

mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
edited October 2017 in Ten Forward
So the next episode is coming tomorrow or monday depending where you are in the world and the service you watch. As per usual: What are your thoughts on this episode?
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.

ST Discovery: Lethe (1x06) 35 votes

I like it
57%
shpoksirm1963garaks31mustrumridcully0reyan01meimeitoomhall85eldarion79tousseauvaloreahevilmark444khan5000kekvinbawdytieflingshevettheraven2378lordgyorjiralinriaredeyedravenfoxman00 20 votes
I don't like it
25%
szerontzurjcswwcruzistthay8472szimthelordofshadesskhctaylor1701dwestyofoz 9 votes
i don't care
11%
mirrorchaospatrickngodarakosskabutotokugawa 4 votes
Other (What are your thoughts)
5%
daveynywhere2r1 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Other (What are your thoughts)
    CBS cut off my subscription before it was over.....hence I could not see Episode 5 and never responded to my inquires about it.

It was some stupid form with the usual canned response: Case ##### has been created. A customer service representative will contact you shortly. Yeah...never got a response at all. App kept hanging up on my Fire TV box, anyways...right from the get go.

They can go hang themselves, if they think I am EVER buying their services, again.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I like it
    I thought Vulcans didn't lie??
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User

isn't that exactly what spock did in The Enterprise Incident?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,371 Arc User
    Vulcans will lie through their teeth, provided it seems the logical course of action. We've seen them do it a lot.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    And reward for worst Captain ever goes to Captain Lorci. It was previously a tie between Captain Janeway and Captain Ransom.
  • Options
    i don't care
    Not the best episode of Discovery i have seen to date. Mostly about the Vulcan Katra and events transpiring around Spock along with the usual secretive Vulcan response to opening up about an experience.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I don't like it
    Why are they trying to make Captain Lorca so very unlikeable? I'm pretty sure he expected the meeting to be a trap before the admiral even left the Discovery. And he refuses to make a rescue attempt because he doesn't want to lose his command. Ah and oh yes, he's a psycho.

Adding this to the usual plethora of inconsistencies, like a holodeck in the TOS era, turns this into the worst episode so far.

3/10
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    Why are they trying to make Captain Lorca so very unlikeable? I'm pretty sure he expected the meeting to be a trap before the admiral even left the Discovery. And he refuses to make a rescue attempt because he doesn't want to lose his command. Ah and oh yes, he's a psycho.

Adding this to the usual plethora of inconsistencies, like a holodeck in the TOS era, turns this into the worst episode so far.

3/10

Like I said in another posting, on the psycho scale, I give the captain 4.5 out 5 chainsaws.

TRIBBLE: We enjoy pissing off the fans.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    I don't like it

3/10

Like I said in another posting, on the psycho scale, I give the captain 4.5 out 5 chainsaws.

TRIBBLE: We enjoy pissing off the fans.

Right? In hindsight even the sex seemed manipulative. He wanted to get her off his back, to make her overcome her concerns...
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    I don't like it
    Vulcans joined ISIS, huh?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    I like it
    Ash is so likeable it's going to be cruel if the theories are true, Kol's a sneaky swine, Stamets is high as a kite and Lorca's a very naughty boy. I'll give the holodeck a tentative pass since either TAS (or the novels ?) had one retrofitted on the Enterprise, and Discovery's a cutting edge science vessel.

And I laughed at the snippet in After Trek where Jason Isaacs fought to keep his fortune cookies on his desk and would pretend to read the fortunes of crew members :)
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I like it
    See, I didn't dislike Lorca any more than before over his actions. If anything, he became more sympathetic in my eyes, as he is clearly struggling with everything that's happened to him. Abandoning the Admiral was something I expected before she even left, and did not seem to be something he enjoyed doing, he was just desperate to keep his command and so made the right decision for the wrong reasons.

Something was definitely off about Stamets, and Lorca clearly noticed and seemed concerned. I wonder how that will play into next week's episode.

And that bit at the end about Burnham acknowledging she could never have been everything Sarek wanted, if Tyler really is Voq then he would understand exactly how she feels given how he was treated due to being albino. Was an interesting conversation.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    I don't like it
    starkaos wrote: »
    And reward for worst Captain ever goes to Captain Lorci. It was previously a tie between Captain Janeway and Captain Ransom.

As much as what Ransom was doing was wrong. At least he had a valid motive behind it. Lorca's motive is simply doing whatever he feels suits his motivations at the time.
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    I like it
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Vulcans joined ISIS, huh?

If you watched Enterprise more closely you'd notice that those vulcan extremists were a thing already. They picked it up again, they didn't invent it.

Anyway...
    Lorca is becoming the Gul Dukat of Starfleet now. That's a GOOD thing. He's ambitious and ruthless and knows how to fool people. And yet, he's entertaining and likeable in a way.

They're not aiming for making him unlikeable. The aim is to make the audience feel that while he's a Starfleet-captain he's also a dangerous man that will go over regulations and corpses if it helps him achieve his goals. And it's all based on the fact that he has a dark past that we had some hints and few details of so far. If anything that makes him feel like an actual person rather than a cardboard-cutout. If the writing on Nemesis would have been decent Shinzon would have had similar potential as well.

First he doesn't think twice about violating regulations to mount a rescue for Sarek. Then, after learning that an admiral who will eventually make him step down to go into rehabilitation got in the hands of the enemy he's like "Oh well, yeah, we can't risk it, let's just wait for further orders." He's smart. And I still think he's going to be Garth of Izar, or at the very same level.
    Post edited by redeyedraven on
  • Options
    kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    I like it
    In tas theres a holodeck they call it the recreation room. Gd epsoide tho. Im sure there will be a rescue attempt at some point for the admiral.
  • Options
    I like it
    kekvin wrote: »
    In tas theres a holodeck they call it the recreation room. Gd epsoide tho. Im sure there will be a rescue attempt at some point for the admiral.

If you ask me, if Lorca is gonna get the task he might take it, but he might try to dispose of the admiral in order to not having to step down after the war.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    a holodeck in the TOS era,
    your Trekkie card is hereby revoked. :p

1: Archer encountered Xyrillians with the technology in 2151.

2: At some point before 2270, the NCC-1701 was equipped with a "Recreation room" which was a precursor to the holodeck.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    I like it
    This is why I like Lorca as a character in a story. Things happen around him, and because of him. As a person, I wouldn't like to be within five miles of him, but that's an entirely separate matter. (Mind you, I don't understand why he doesn't set off Saru's threat ganglia. He sets off mine, and I haven't even got any.)

Worth remembering, I think, that the original series boasted no small number of COs who came completely unglued for one reason or another. Garth, Decker, Tracey.... Oh, and the Enterprise had a holodeck. TAS is too canon.

Overall, I thought that was a pretty well-done episode - primarily character driven, and handled effectively. And it leaves me wanting to know more - what's up with Stamets? Can Tyler be trusted? What is Lorca going to do, and what about the rest of his crew? I want the answers to those questions... which, well, suggests that the show's good enough to pull me in. It's not the original Star Trek I remember, granted, but I'm beginning to think it's a good enough thing in its own right.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I like it
    shevet wrote: »
    This is why I like Lorca as a character in a story. Things happen around him, and because of him. As a person, I wouldn't like to be within five miles of him, but that's an entirely separate matter. (Mind you, I don't understand why he doesn't set off Saru's threat ganglia. He sets off mine, and I haven't even got any.)

Worth remembering, I think, that the original series boasted no small number of COs who came completely unglued for one reason or another. Garth, Decker, Tracey.... Oh, and the Enterprise had a holodeck. TAS is too canon.

Overall, I thought that was a pretty well-done episode - primarily character driven, and handled effectively. And it leaves me wanting to know more - what's up with Stamets? Can Tyler be trusted? What is Lorca going to do, and what about the rest of his crew? I want the answers to those questions... which, well, suggests that the show's good enough to pull me in. It's not the original Star Trek I remember, granted, but I'm beginning to think it's a good enough thing in its own right.

I think Saru perfectly knows what Lorca can be capable of. At least he gets that Lorca is to be reckoned with, that's why he told Burnham she'd be a perfect fit for Lorca when she tested his reaction to Ripper. But Saru also has faith in the chain of command, so an actual captain he serves under will be less likely to worry him personally than a convict.

I bet though that Saru's ganglia would have gone off on the Defiant under Sisko in 'For the uniform' when he ordered to fire trilithium-augmented quantum torpedoes on a defenseless colony.
  • Options
    i don't care
    I think Saru perfectly knows what Lorca can be capable of. At least he gets that Lorca is to be reckoned with, that's why he told Burnham she'd be a perfect fit for Lorca when she tested his reaction to Ripper. But Saru also has faith in the chain of command, so an actual captain he serves under will be less likely to worry him personally than a convict.

I'm not entirely convinced that is the case as we don't really know what Saru knows or how much he knows of Lorca. Saru could be almost completely oblivious to the Captain because he could respect Lorca so much as a captain he would just take Lorca at his word, so in reality he knows virtually nothing of his commanding officer. But then again he may know everything but that wouldn't fit with Saru's moral compass to allow such a dangerous man to remain in command of a Starship almost knowing Lorca's goals do not align with Starfleets or those of the crew.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    TRIBBLE: We enjoy pissing off the fans fanatical zealots .

^ Corrected that for you.

Wanting to see something matching the era, not to mention likable characters, and not generic sci fi is not zealous.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I like it
    Wanting to see something matching the era, not to mention likable characters, and not generic sci fi is not zealous.

If you want something that matches your headcanon and previous canon, watch previous canon. It's not like they deleted the other Trek-shows from Netflix, right? Or get over it. There's nothing wrong with accepting both.

Otherwise I can't help but to think that DIS was simply not made specifically for people that think like you. That's sad but not the end of the world. If anything I feel sorry for you about that.
  • Options
    I like it

I'm not entirely convinced that is the case as we don't really know what Saru knows or how much he knows of Lorca. Saru could be almost completely oblivious to the Captain because he could respect Lorca so much as a captain he would just take Lorca at his word, so in reality he knows virtually nothing of his commanding officer. But then again he may know everything but that wouldn't fit with Saru's moral compass to allow such a dangerous man to remain in command of a Starship almost knowing Lorca's goals do not align with Starfleets or those of the crew.

He definately knows that something is fishy about Lorca. To what extent, we can't tell. I think if he had no clue at all he wouldn't have made that remark to Burnham, but you're right that I was just expressing my own thought into it. The rest is yet to be confirmed or denied by the events of the show.

• Options
    I don't like it
    Right? In hindsight even the sex seemed manipulative. He wanted to get her off his back, to make her overcome her concerns...

You're right. We've never seen a starship Captain use sex to manipulate someone on Star Trek ever. Oh wait....

I don't remember Kirk ever sleeping with a superior officer to get what he wants. But maybe I missed that episode.

2: At some point before 2270, the NCC-1701 was equipped with a "Recreation room" which was a precursor to the holodeck.

1: But for Starfleet the holodeck was a new and exciting invention in the TNG era.
    2: precursors do not count. Discovery's holodeck was more than just creating a 3-dimensional postcard. Lorca and Ash were interacting with the environment, they were opening and closing doors. The projections had substance.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I like it

You're right. We've never seen a starship Captain use sex to manipulate someone on Star Trek ever. Oh wait....

I don't remember Kirk ever sleeping with a superior officer to get what he wants. But maybe I missed that episode.

Not necessarily Sex in the way of intercourse or with superior officers, but there are examples when Kirk seduced women into helping him. With smaller things like beautiful words or kisses. Kirks reputation of being a horny womanizer is kinda wrong anyway. He was really good with talking to women and earning a kiss here and there, but always in a fairly progressive fashion (considering it was the sixties).

Also, Picard had an affair with the person that led the court-martial about the Stargazer against him.

1: But for Starfleet the holodeck was a new and exciting invention in the TNG era.
    2: precursors do not count. Discovery's holodeck was more than just creating a 3-dimensional postcard. Lorca and Ash were interacting with the environment, they were opening and closing doors. The projections had substance.

1. They didn't have the budget to include the holodeck in TOS, but they already had the idea that something like it is needed for a starship-crew on long missions into space. With a better budget they showed the holodeck off in TNG for the first time and used it fairly often in the first season, but when the wow-effect on the audience wore off they started using it very sparingly.

2. Holograms are everywhere in DIS. It even replaced the ship-to-ship onscreen-communication. Do you really want to nitpick about holoDECKs now? They never said on-screen when exactly it was invented or when they started to have them on starships.
  • Options
    kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    I like it
    > @redeyedraven said:
    > kekvin wrote: »
    >
    > In tas theres a holodeck they call it the recreation room. Gd epsoide tho. Im sure there will be a rescue attempt at some point for the admiral.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > If you ask me, if Lorca is gonna get the task he might take it, but he might try to dispose of the admiral in order to not having to step down after the war.

Personally i think the admiral is going to learn from mudd about what lorca did to his last crew and escape.