test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Esports PvP League STO?

If a league was made would you watch your favorite teams or players battle it out on Twitch, YouTube, or other methods of streaming? I know how difficult it is to break into the pvp scene be it console or pc, for new players especially. But as fan of STO and Star Trek in general it annoys me that there isn't a league for STO. We have the best space combat in the mmo Sci-Fi Genre. PW could pull players from console and pc and form teams of 5 or 3 or whatever and use core assault or other pves as a map. Also they could skip the pve and just do straight pvp. I just think it should be attempted. But I just want to know what the community thinks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    If a league was made would you watch your favorite teams or players battle it out on Twitch, YouTube, or other methods of streaming? I know how difficult it is to break into the pvp scene be it console or pc, for new players especially. But as fan of STO and Star Trek in general it annoys me that there isn't a league for STO. We have the best space combat in the mmo Sci-Fi Genre. PW could pull players from console and pc and form teams of 5 or 3 or whatever and use core assault or other pves as a map. Also they could skip the pve and just do straight pvp. I just think it should be attempted. But I just want to know what the community thinks.

This is because Cryptic is notoriously bad when it comes to PvP. The PvP in STO hasn't been touched, in any way, in about 5 years. So it's still out of balance.

Add to this, for Leagues, it would require balance. It would also require restraints and structure. The main thing here being the limitations on gear. The main limitation here would most likely be on click-bait consoles. The consoles are fine in a more free form, open PvP manner. But for a structured PvP manner like this, they'd give to much of an edge to those that have them. Though, for the higher tiers of this, they'd be allowed.

Then from here you'd have to break it down in various ways. By ship tier and/or level. For the 50+ characters, you'd have to break it down even further. Such as 50+ and no specializations, 50+ and 1 specialization, and 50+ 2 specializations.

While I do like the idea. As you can see it comes with a whole heap of problems to set up. It would be possible to setup. But being able to verify all of this would becomes a serious pain. Well, not so much a serious pain, more of an impossibility without Cryptic implementing ways to insure all the conditions for it were right. Which, lets face it, they won't do.

The other main problem comes from the low level area. As there is no way to lock you exp at X level. Which a lot of people like to do for PvP.

This is however something the players could setup for themselves. It's just verifying the gear and setup that would become a pain before each match.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    Hahahahaha

Yeah, this was my first reaction. But, I decided to be nice and explain how big of a pain it would be. Since PvP has been discussed in depth over the year, and quite a few threads. Especially on ways they could balance it.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Watching people play STO? Why?
    I watched about 5 mins of the Overwatch tournament and you can't see anything cause they keep cutting to other POVs and things move really fast. Granted, the STO game wouldn't be moving so fast as a FPS game, but still, why? When I could be playing myself?
  • Options
    chronoblitz66chronoblitz66 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Agreed, Trennan it would be a pain to set up and regulate. But Since Cryptic doesn't help or promote pvp in anyway why can't the community? Imo i think you are on to something with the 50+ requirement for Specializations. Why not try to make our own league with a simple list of rules for a match to be considered league? Have a list of banned consoles? Banned Ships? I guess i want to share the thrill a kill on another player after a good fight with others. I guess its just me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    I watched about 5 mins of the Overwatch tournament and you can't see anything cause they keep cutting to other POVs and things move really fast. Granted, the STO game wouldn't be moving so fast as a FPS game, but still, why? When I could be playing myself?

even without factoring in the speed (which has gotten to the point of ridiculousness), you STILL wouldn't be able to see anything once the match started in earnest aside from a lightshow of such intensity it would make even the worst of bad acid trips look perfectly tame​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    Agreed, Trennan it would be a pain to set up and regulate. But Since Cryptic doesn't help or promote pvp in anyway why can't the community? Imo i think you are on to something with the 50+ requirement for Specializations. Why not try to make our own league with a simple list of rules for a match to be considered league? Have a list of banned consoles? Banned Ships? I guess i want to share the thrill a kill on another player after a good fight with others. I guess its just me.

Oh I'm not against the idea. I was just expressing that it would be a challenging endeavor to make happen. That and it wouldn't get much, if any, support from Cryptic. Which would leave it up to the players to figure out the rewards.

even without factoring in the speed (which has gotten to the point of ridiculousness), you STILL wouldn't be able to see anything once the match started in earnest aside from a lightshow of such intensity it would make even the worst of bad acid trips look perfectly tame​​

It would definitely require that at least one of the streamers was just a watcher. It still wouldn't help much. But, at least you'd be able to see some of what is going on. Even for the ground side of this.
    Why would anyone want to watch such a thing what is wrong with people?

It would be a good way to showcase the game and maybe draw more players in. Which is always a good thing. Besides, look at twitch. There are people that like to watch other people play games, or drawing pictures. Or like that one French guy I ran across there. All he did was spin an wheel and act out the action it said to. It left you with a "WTF is this and why am I watching it?" feeling. So this is just one of those odd things one has to accept about other people. They'll watch what they want, no matter how screwed up it is.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    No I wouldn't be interested. You couldn't pay me to watch STO dweebs cheese their way through an esports PVP showcase.
    STO would quickly become the biggest laughing stock amongst esports games.

For any game to be Esports worthy, it needs to have a balanced PVP. STO does not have anything close to a balanced pvp environment.
    It's been a race to the bottom since DR released tons of power creep.

PvP turned from something relatively fun (mildly unbalanced) into "he who can buy the most exploitative OP ship traits quickest."

Nobody wants to watch a bunch of wallet warriors who's main goal is to come up with the most broken OP ship in order to stomp noobs in less then a second... Then have to watch the rest of the PVP community scramble to copy them once the word gets out on what's the most broken build and traits.

Esports is popular in certain instances because of the skill brought by individuals into a game's balanced PVP.
    People want to see skill, not a bunch of brats working their hardest to find what's the most broken build atm. P2W PVP won't fly in the esports world.

It would be a massive failure. And a needless embarrassment to STO.

I do agree though that STO has great space combat... just not when it comes to PVP.

They tried to repair some of the damage they caused with DR by releasing the Competitive rep. But honestly that did very little to address the massive amounts of power that has been added to the game since DR.

So, thank you, but no thank you. I'll pass.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    patrickngo wrote: »
    The fundamental problem is that STO can't handle PvP...anymore. all semblance of balance was tossed out with the powercreep, broken mechanics, and inability to grasp any aspect of game balancing by the senior developers.

This concept, with t his game, and this development staff, is a loser.

They could handle PvP. It's just that the original developer that built the PvP, left Cryptic and didn't leave any notes on his work. Something Crypitc has been bad about, not documenting stuff. And that every developer that has worked on PvP since, has left Cryptic under amicable conditions.

So it's not that they can't work on balancing PvP. It's more, they don't even know how to work on the PvP system. At this point, about all they could do for the PvP system, is to delete what is there and rebuild it.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    thewyldebosiethewyldebosie Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    The best PvP I've had was at Commander leave way back in season 1. Back then it was fun, and only Klinks could cloak...
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    I suppose that the only thing worse than playing PVP in STO is probably watching PVP in STO.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    trennan wrote: »
    The fundamental problem is that STO can't handle PvP...anymore. all semblance of balance was tossed out with the powercreep, broken mechanics, and inability to grasp any aspect of game balancing by the senior developers.

This concept, with t his game, and this development staff, is a loser.

They could handle PvP. It's just that the original developer that built the PvP, left Cryptic and didn't leave any notes on his work. Something Crypitc has been bad about, not documenting stuff. And that every developer that has worked on PvP since, has left Cryptic under amicable conditions.

So it's not that they can't work on balancing PvP. It's more, they don't even know how to work on the PvP system. At this point, about all they could do for the PvP system, is to delete what is there and rebuild it.

He 'left' because they fired him, they fired him because he opposed the runaway powercreep. My point stands=they can't handle PvP, tbh, they don't have the ability to comprehend it beyond a classroom definition, they certainly don't comprehend balancing, multi-faction development, or the idea that no power should be un-counterable.

I mean, it's truly comical to hear Geko when he tries to talk about it, or Borticus. Neither of them actually understands (still) why Delta Rising resulted in a mass exodus of PvP oriented players from the game, and both have been dedicatedly un-doing the relatively minor efforts CrypticSpartan (who actually DID research into game balancing and PvP) attempted at the start of season 13.

Fact is, I'm actually waiting to see when Spartan's going to be another "Left under amicable circumstances (and the NDA won't let him say otherwise)" like Adjudicatorhawk or Gozer.

I hope the Spartan can hang in there and do something with this. I'd like to see the a return of a bit more blanced and competitive PvP. The Competitive Reputation actually reminds me of some of the things we the plays have discussed over the years.

I think is was back in 2015, could been last year as well, we were discussing how to help PvP out and the idea of a PvP reputation was pitched forth by the players. Along with some ideas on what they could do to balance it out. But that was many moons ago and it would likely take my a few days, if not longer, to locate the exact post for it.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User

PVP is dead and it's rotting fetid corpse needs to be removed from the game. All PVP has ever done here is bring out the very worst in players.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Are there actually people who claim to take the word "esports" seriously I thought it was a running joke?
    Yeah it's like NASCAR drivers saying "We really are atheletes..." it's kind of like some JROTC punk saying they really are veterans... LOL.

• Options
    ssbn655 wrote: »

PVP is dead and it's rotting fetid corpse needs to be removed from the game. All PVP has ever done here is bring out the very worst in players.

Like the new current "DPS or GTFO" doesn't bring out the worst in people? This is the other side of that same coin. Now I will admit PvP has the more rage driven aspect of it.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    I'd say if PvPers had to use 'stock' loadouts on ships, maybe skill would win over wallets. But Cryptic would probably TRIBBLE that up too.

When we play Battletech, we use the official designs, no custom 'Mechs. Cause it's easy to make a cheezy monster that costs 1/2 as much yet is 2x as effective as a official design.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Stock loadouts would end up being used to promote the next lockbox ship and gear.
  • Options
    I'd say if PvPers had to use 'stock' loadouts on ships, maybe skill would win over wallets. But Cryptic would probably **** that up too.

When we play Battletech, we use the official designs, no custom 'Mechs. Cause it's easy to make a cheezy monster that costs 1/2 as much yet is 2x as effective as a official design.

I had thought of this a while ago. It came with the pvp reputation idea. It would be tiered, up to the current maximum tier of ship. One that everyone would have to start at and build up to. So it would have to reward a PvP mark of some kind.

Tier 1 = Tier 1 ships and gear(both space and ground)
    Tier 2 = Tier 2 ships and gear(both space and ground)
    Tier 3 = Tier 3 ships and gear(both space and ground)
    Tier 4 = Tier 4 ships and gear(both space and ground)
    Tier 5 = Tier 5 ships and gear(both space and ground)
    Tier 6 = Tier 6 ships and gear(both space and ground)

Now this also means they'd have to lock out all epic consoles. Making the max for this UR Mk XIV. I hate to say it, but Fleet gear would be allowed here. But could be done with reputation project lockouts. Much like the daily projects for other reputations. This way the player could open Mk XII and Mk XIV gear at UR restrictions. This could also be done for Epic gear as well. Though, they would still need to limit, or block, the use of lock box consoles/lobi gear(including the consumable that present in both the lobi store and dilithium store) and click-bait consoles. This brings everyone back to Crafted, Fleet, Drop and Episode reward gear.

From here, one would need to limit traits. For this, I'd say, limit the use of Starship and Repuptation Reputation Traits. Let's say, you get 0 Starship, Space Rep, and Ground Rep traits at Tier 1 and 5 Starship, Space Rep, and Ground Rep Traits at Tier 6. Keeping the active rep traits locked out. Again, to keep the playing field level, though, they could be allowed, on the same tier structure as the rest. Wouldn't hurt to limit the Personal Space and Ground Traits in the same manner.

This method doesn't actually hurt the game at all. It would only affect the PvP maps. Then it would be up to the player to decide if they wanted to level this reputation. The only thing they would have to add in here is a selection for ground combat. Melee only or Full Combat(the use of all weapons)

The only problem after this, would be rewarding the player. At maximum tier with all the unlocks done. The only other option would be like the reps, marks tradeable for dil. Though this could be done a bit differently. Say a mark for mark trade in like:

50 PvP marks = 50 Choice Mark Package(PvP marks not included).

Maybe even a trade in like:

1000 PvP Marks = 1 Lobi

Though it would still leave the players wanting something more for a reward, like gear and outfits.

I'm no computer expert. But the main thing here is that it would be an endeavor for Cryptic to code. Though my guess here would be to lock outs would be the biggest pain to code. But we know they can do it. Evident by the ability lock outs on Risa and Competitive Consumables.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Hahahahaha

32oC5YT.jpg
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    PVE is just as remarkably low quality really. Whatever is left of PvP is still a more fun activity than spamming the old spacebar against utterly mindless critters in ISA. Therefore PVE in STO is worse TRIBBLE than its PVP right now. There's no more strategy - no thinking - just dps all day. At least in PvP, despite all the imbalances, you get to build some actual fvcking skill, and the rewards that come with it.

The Miracle Worker tree helped solve some of the "1-shot vaping" issues in PvP, and now if only people are willing to give it a shot.

I say keep pvp in the game - it's the real end-game for a very select few us non-scrubs who actually understand the game enough to get some enjoyment out of it. Surely it doesn't hurt and interfere with the daily ISA raids now does it?

If they no longer intend to balance pvp, fine, but at least let it stay there.