test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] The Kobayashi Maru Event!

Comments

• Options
    rhazedurilerhazedurile Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Wow...Devs are ON FIRE right now with all these releases. Although, y'all are straining my wallet with all these awesome ship releases. Well played, Devs. Well played.
    dZWjlSs.jpg
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    While I have no illusions about that, it'd be nice to have some little tricks that give an accolade or a little bonus like:

-Typing /eatapple in the chat temporarily disable the enemy ships and make them blow up on the first hit, and you get an accolade and a "apple to smugly eat" device
    -Typing /iamkirk makes the current wave surrender and flee, giving you an accolade with the drawback being that a player can only do this once during a run
    -Typing /iamsaavik causes your ship systems to keep failing and your health and shield to rapidly drop until you inevitably die, earning you another accolade
    -Managing to destroy the Kobayashi Maru via friendly fire gives another accolade, acknowledging Calhoun's solution in a novel
    -Having a typing /icanchangethelawsofphysics results in a wave spawning more ships than the entire enemy can have (reference to another novel where Scotty tried a physic trick that didn't work in the real world, prompting the simulation to harshly punish him)
    -Typing /selashotfirst spawns Sela's Q ship that has more health (but pathetic attacks) than any other ship but grants you a bonus and immense satisfaction if you destroy it

I'd do what Forrest did in Star fleet Academy and have the Klingons are chipper and perky upon meeting you. :D
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    As for the new phaser variants - rather than single items like I suspect they are, consider either of the following options:
    • blueprint unlock (allowing players to craft them); or
    • dilithium store purchase unlock
    In either case, I would also suggest they be available in omni-array and turret flavors as well.

Kael confirmed on reddit that, like the Sompek reward module, the phasers are account reclaimable. Given the flavors available, they are also likely one-per-ship (like weapons claimed from reputation projects.)

Oh account wide unlocks? Then it's much better... probably will go in with the carriers w/frigate pets... if it wasnt then it would of been a T1 and hope event blows as fast as possible.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    If it runs like Sompek... we aren't only going to have 3 days. Weekend things tend to start on a Thursday in STO.

I think I'll run my Temporal Recruit with her Megawell build Tin Can w/ a Golf Ball. Can you say... 24km Grav Well shenanigans?
    latest?cb=20130725193122

Bring it on Kobayashi Maru!
    Is it as terrifying as mine?
    shipfanlaf_by_marhawkman-dacbhld.png
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    bsliskbslisk Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    As a old time player who remembers the many nights of playing this for hours on end Please Devs Bring it back permanently in all its epic glory us Kirk Protege's will thank you
  • Options
    jidrosjidros Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Don't forget to mark down your Kobayashi Maru times! I hear the one with the longest time gets to be Lord High Admiral Princess of Starfleet, at least according to Stephen Ratliff!
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    So, it looks like they are using the Kobayashi event like the sompek...namely space power data collection to decide the next powers on the chopping block

Kind of annoying theres no plasma or disruptor varients though, as a kdf, I'd never be seen firing phaser beams
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    lucho80 wrote: »
    I see we've stooped down to multiple events at the same time now. Grind squared activated.

Well i am finishing the Risa runs Sunday so my character is tired of the sunburn and ready for some action.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well I still have one Weekend Voucher from the Sompek Event. If they use that here too, then one day less for this.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ulickatarnulickatarn Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Will we get a chance to earn the old No Win Scenario titles for our characters?
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Nice thank you but why only a Phaser weapon reward? What about those of us who try and stick to faction weapons like Disruptors and Plasma beams and cannons?
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Really only around for 3 days why put all this work in let us play it for 3 days then wait 5 months for it to come back can't see why you can't keep new content you add to the game in the dam game even more so the new NWS that many people didn't want you to remove old NWS yet you did and needed to wait like well over a year for it to come back and guess what.
    **** YOU PLAYER BASE IT BACK AS MANY OF YOU ASKED BUT HAHA JOKE ON YOU ONLY 3 DAYS

Will the rewards be really **** if you go on for a long time like they where in arena of sompek & will they be cap after so many rounds like there where in arena of sompek i really hope not.

Do not cap the rewards after so many rounds like arena of sompek as there just no reason to see how far you can push.

BAD REWARDS INCOMING KIDS AND CAP REWARDS AFTER SO MANY ROUNDS SO NO REASON TO PUSH.

Relax if you aren't happy maybe play something else or just don't do the event. No reason to go off like that guy. I am pretty amazed at the number of events in such a short period of time this year. PLUS the launch on two new platforms is a major undertaking for any game so cut them some slack dude.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    I might as well do this on my main engi since he uses phasers unlike my main sci and main tac.
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    kEflSz7.jpg

I can haz playable version? Pweeze?
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @toiva said:
    > Okay, so... we got the Kobayashi event ON TOP of the Summer event, all the while T6 Connies are dropping from boxes and new admiralty is being released.
    > Yes, I certainly will partake in all of it, no need to sleep or eat...

I'll be done with Risa well before the 29th.

Good for you. But that can't be expected from most people given the Summer event ends in almost a month from now still.

(Also it doesn't seem to add up to me unless you use Lobi to get ahead with event ships.)
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    it possibly adds up since it's a 20 hour clock. Might require lost sleep on one or two days. though to me it's pointlessly silly now there was a time when i was excited enough about events that i would do something like that.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    kEflSz7.jpg

I would love to have this ship. Perhaps they can replace the Tuffli with this ship. :)
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    kEflSz7.jpg

I would love to have this ship. Perhaps they can replace the Tuffli with this ship. :)

Or, as a friend suggested on Reddit, turn the cargo pods into hangar bays and make it a T6 Flight Deck Cruiser.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    starshoalstarshoal Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Do I get bonus points if I bring my connie?
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    Playing the Kobayashi Maru for at least three days out of the event’s duration will also unlock special limited-time rewards for you: the Prolonged Engagement Phaser Beam Array and Prolonged Engagement Phaser Dual Cannons, which are both energy weapons that become stronger the longer that your ship is in combat.

That is the point where I lost interest in the event and decided to avoid doing it at all. :|
    I never use phasers and that opinion will not ever change.
    So an event like this isn't worth doing, because it provides a weapon with an unsuitable damage type.
    Now if we got to choose what damage type it was, then I would participate.

I only use Antiproton, Polaron and Plasma weapons.
    Sometimes I use Tetryon.
    So if it's not one of those four damage types (ideally one of the first three), then I have no use for the weapon.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    chrdragon1chrdragon1 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    in the movie where Admiral krik educatis a bunch of rookies in the kobayashi Maru event he fully admits afterwards that he changed that program, where he hack the computer befor hand so it nolonger was a no win senario.

here an out take about what happend:
    The test was the problem, and Kirk solved that problem. It’s never explicitly stated what Kirk changed when he TRIBBLE the program (in a Star Trek novel it’s said that Kirk reprogrammed the Klingons to have a respectful fear of “The” Captain Kirk), but the gist of what we’re to understand is that Kirk didn’t hack the Kobayashi Maru to win, but rather to make it winnable. When Saavik accuses Kirk of cheating, he replies “I changed the conditions of the test!”

That’s key. Cheating is creating an unfair advantage, which Kirk would argue was the entire basis of the test. By changing the conditions - by evening out the odds - Kirk actually made the whole thing more fair, the opposite of cheating.

Tell that to Orci and Kurtzman, who have Kirk clearly cheat in the 2009 Star Trek reboot. He sits in his captain’s chair, munching an apple like an TRIBBLE, while the enemy ships' shields suddenly drop for no reason at all. His hack was not to even the playing field but rather to give himself an unfair advantage, to have the Klingons be unable to defend themselves. The reboot Kirk has the victory simply handed to him. It’s hard not to side with Spock in this version of events.

simply put the only way to win it is to reprogram it so its win able .
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    kEflSz7.jpg

Or, as a friend suggested on Reddit, turn the cargo pods into hangar bays and make it a T6 Flight Deck Cruiser.

Could very well tempt me if they did that...but I'm afraid it would be another almost 0% chance random drop ship...which would kill my temptation.
  • Options
    vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    lucho80 wrote: »
    I see we've stooped down to multiple events at the same time now. Grind squared activated.

Even worse than you think, Lucho. That boat sailed with the Mirror Event this past run, when they ran the Junior Officer Weekend during it. They've already passed the Double Grind Event Horizon, I'm afraid. Soon they'll run the Winter, Summer, Mirror, Crystalline and Elachi events all at the same time...during the Anniversary Event.
    Playing the Kobayashi Maru for at least three days out of the event’s duration will also unlock special limited-time rewards for you: the Prolonged Engagement Phaser Beam Array and Prolonged Engagement Phaser Dual Cannons, which are both energy weapons that become stronger the longer that your ship is in combat.

The heck with that! As a Torp Boat captain, I'd rather get a Gravitic Mine Launcher, instead of yet another phaser variant. One mine which deprives a ship of all power (except, apparently, power to subspace radio so they can send distress calls) AND does serious hull damage? Yes! Pretty please with Thalian Chocolate Mousse on top?!

And as for what Kirk would do? He'd hack Cryptic's/PWE's servers - just like he did the Academy's.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    While I have no illusions about that, it'd be nice to have some little tricks that give an accolade or a little bonus like:

-Typing /eatapple in the chat temporarily disable the enemy ships and make them blow up on the first hit, and you get an accolade and a "apple to smugly eat" device
    -Typing /iamkirk makes the current wave surrender and flee, giving you an accolade with the drawback being that a player can only do this once during a run
    -Typing /iamsaavik causes your ship systems to keep failing and your health and shield to rapidly drop until you inevitably die, earning you another accolade
    -Managing to destroy the Kobayashi Maru via friendly fire gives another accolade, acknowledging Calhoun's solution in a novel
    -Having a typing /icanchangethelawsofphysics results in a wave spawning more ships than the entire enemy can have (reference to another novel where Scotty tried a physic trick that didn't work in the real world, prompting the simulation to harshly punish him)
    -Typing /selashotfirst spawns Sela's Q ship that has more health (but pathetic attacks) than any other ship but grants you a bonus and immense satisfaction if you destroy it

I'd do what Forrest did in Star fleet Academy and have the Klingons are chipper and perky upon meeting you. :D
    chrdragon1 wrote: »
    in the movie where Admiral krik educatis a bunch of rookies in the kobayashi Maru event he fully admits afterwards that he changed that program, where he hack the computer befor hand so it nolonger was a no win senario.

here an out take about what happend:
    The test was the problem, and Kirk solved that problem. It’s never explicitly stated what Kirk changed when he **** the program (in a Star Trek novel it’s said that Kirk reprogrammed the Klingons to have a respectful fear of “The” Captain Kirk), but the gist of what we’re to understand is that Kirk didn’t hack the Kobayashi Maru to win, but rather to make it winnable. When Saavik accuses Kirk of cheating, he replies “I changed the conditions of the test!”

That’s key. Cheating is creating an unfair advantage, which Kirk would argue was the entire basis of the test. By changing the conditions - by evening out the odds - Kirk actually made the whole thing more fair, the opposite of cheating.

Tell that to Orci and Kurtzman, who have Kirk clearly cheat in the 2009 Star Trek reboot. He sits in his captain’s chair, munching an apple like an ****, while the enemy ships' shields suddenly drop for no reason at all. His hack was not to even the playing field but rather to give himself an unfair advantage, to have the Klingons be unable to defend themselves. The reboot Kirk has the victory simply handed to him. It’s hard not to side with Spock in this version of events.

simply put the only way to win it is to reprogram it so its win able .

JJ's version made Kirk into an arrogant prick.

I'll take the stack of books with legs anytime, yo.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    doublechadoublecha Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    Rewards, only phaser weapons,
    The Klingons use disruptors, weapons of warriors.
    Qapla'
    Qapla'
  • Options
    qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    lnblade wrote: »
    Will future events award non-phaser versions of the weapons?
    Nope. They don't care enough about non-fed factions or ship design concepts.

• Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Focus does seem to be very heavy towards the phasers these days. Even things like the kelvin timeline console set of mining beam etc was aimed at photon and phaser users despite being cross faction.

A beam choice box would have been nicer to see.