test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

$ Solution to STO's Monetary/Currency Problem: Decimation $

Comments

• Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    @repetitiveepic that's actually a great idea to be honest.

Absolutely no need to have things like batteries etc cost 100EC when they could cost 10EC and save the sever from having such big numbers to handle for transactions.
    Reduce all prices by a factor of ten and everything retains its value but the numbers involved are lower.

Of course it is a mahoosive task though. Because all the incomes in the game would have to be dropped by the same factor as well or people would overnight find their income flow worth 10x what they were before.

Interesting idea none the less.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    If you want to "solve" the economy issue, the solution is actually extremely simple, introduce more things (items, unlocks, gadgets, toys, outfit pieces etc) that are both desirable, and can only be obtained with EC. These items need to be purchasable ONLY from vendors, or unlocked through tailors, menus etc,... not exchangeable to/from other players.

The Dilithium prices stabilized and then started to go down as soon as more things were introduced to eat the surplus, the same will happen with EC. As soon as more things are introduced to eat the surplus, there won't be a surplus.

Also, if you really want to put a dent in some of the more outrageous pricing on the exchange, make those items going for more than the EC a little more obtainable. Scarcity and demand is what is driving the prices to what what they are and the reason that the EC cap's are perceived as an issue.

While were at it wishing for things, could we raise the account bank cap to 1b and add a Dilithium section to the account bank and set it's cap at whatever a player is allowed to have with the unlock? WOuld making moving Dilithium to/from alts much, much easier.

KTHNXBAI.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    Or players just can just stop charging other players absurd amounts of money for virtual goods. It is only a few players greed which creates this perceived problem as a good majority of players rarely have more than 1-10 million and so shop round for things with unit prices which are better value at even a few credit per unit savings. You divide all monetary values by 10 and you do increase the costs of goods for low value goods just so you can continue to charge the prices less than 1% of the playerbase can afford for lockbox ships.

Other than for lockbox ships why is the current cap a problem? What else do you need insane amounts of credits for?

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    dirlettia wrote: »
    Or players just can just stop charging other players absurd amounts of money for virtual goods. It is only a few players greed which creates this perceived problem as a good majority of players rarely have more than 1-10 million and so shop round for things with unit prices which are better value at even a few credit per unit savings. You divide all monetary values by 10 and you do increase the costs of goods for low value goods just so you can continue to charge the prices less than 1% of the playerbase can afford for lockbox ships.

^^ This exposes the true ulterior motive of the tycoons. Having to use a trading channel is a hassle, more complicated than just putting things on exchange; and thus hurting their business. Limits, for that reason alone, should stay exactly where they're currently at.

And, indeed, this is only an 'issue' for like 10 people in game. Should Not Be Catered To.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    Wouldn't that simply make the whales even richer since they would be able to store more money on the bank, and practically do nothing to everyone else?

Yep, it would.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    corelogik wrote: »
    If you want to "solve" the economy issue, the solution is actually extremely simple, introduce more things (items, unlocks, gadgets, toys, outfit pieces etc) that are both desirable, and can only be obtained with EC. These items need to be purchasable ONLY from vendors, or unlocked through tailors, menus etc,... not exchangeable to/from other players.

The Dilithium prices stabilized and then started to go down as soon as more things were introduced to eat the surplus, the same will happen with EC. As soon as more things are introduced to eat the surplus, there won't be a surplus.

Also, if you really want to put a dent in some of the more outrageous pricing on the exchange, make those items going for more than the EC a little more obtainable. Scarcity and demand is what is driving the prices to what what they are and the reason that the EC cap's are perceived as an issue.

While were at it wishing for things, could we raise the account bank cap to 1b and add a Dilithium section to the account bank and set it's cap at whatever a player is allowed to have with the unlock? WOuld making moving Dilithium to/from alts much, much easier.

KTHNXBAI.

I've long proposed a shop in game that sells cosmetic items for large sums of EC.

One of the most popular suggestions is a "senior officer decoration" which is a device that players can buy for 1 billion ec and which causes nearby toons to turn and salute them.

Put lavish clothing, interesting and desirable cosmetic devices, flying Q thrones, bright colorful auras, etc, etc, in a shop and charge 100s of million - 1 billion ec and you'll see the excess EC rapidly drained from the game economy and the value of ec go up significantly.

The developers figured it out for dil, they need desperately to figure it out for EC now.

^This is a good idea for dealing with the excess of wealth floating around the economy. Decimating the numbers won't work after we end up with 1 EC items.

Then every time you decimate the economy again the low cost items will only increase in 'cost'. I'm talking of items like Hypos and food, which currently cost a meager 20 EC. Drop a digit and they'll cost 2 EC, hard to drop any more digits from there. Those items will inflate in cost with future 'adjustments'.

And again, there is the issue that players will eventually approach the cap again, requiring additional adjustments. And so on, and so on...
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    orion0029 wrote: »

KTHNXBAI.

I've long proposed a shop in game that sells cosmetic items for large sums of EC.

One of the most popular suggestions is a "senior officer decoration" which is a device that players can buy for 1 billion ec and which causes nearby toons to turn and salute them.

Put lavish clothing, interesting and desirable cosmetic devices, flying Q thrones, bright colorful auras, etc, etc, in a shop and charge 100s of million - 1 billion ec and you'll see the excess EC rapidly drained from the game economy and the value of ec go up significantly.

The developers figured it out for dil, they need desperately to figure it out for EC now.

^This is a good idea for dealing with the excess of wealth floating around the economy. Decimating the numbers won't work after we end up with 1 EC items.

Then every time you decimate the economy again the low cost items will only increase in 'cost'. I'm talking of items like Hypos and food, which currently cost a meager 20 EC. Drop a digit and they'll cost 2 EC, hard to drop any more digits from there. Those items will inflate in cost with future 'adjustments'.

And again, there is the issue that players will eventually approach the cap again, requiring additional adjustments. And so on, and so on...

I could get behind cosmetic items, or even some costume unlocks direct from the C-Store for semi-large to large amounts of EC. I don't know that any one thing should cost 1b EC, but several million to even 10's of millions definitely. You can even make somethings, like the Flying Q thrones, consumable.

Similar to the items/idea of the GPL store and playing Dabo, but with EC instead of GPL, or alternatively, increase the wager amount allowed on the Dabo table and raise the GPL pay out rate accordingly. Then, add more items to the GPL store. Currently, many items in that store that WOULD eat up GPL, are not very useful/desireable, hence many people don't play Dabo to get large amounts of GPL.

I could something like, Ferengi Marauder Outfit - Male, 250,000 GPL, and if the payout at the Dabo table was sufficient, people would sink tons of EC into playing Dabo to get 250k GPL. I know I would, my Ferengi crew desperately needs some Ferengi inspired outfits.

Or even, in the Dilithium store, sell that stuff for EC as well at a 100:1 ratio. For example, the 22nd century M.A.C.O. uniform is 1.7mil Dilithium (with Fleet discount), so change it to 1.7mil Dilithium OR 170mil EC. There are lots of ways to drain "excess" EC from the economy without stripping or seeming to strip players wealth/investment from them while seeming to give players items they currently do or would potentially want if they were "more obtainable".
  • Options
    Not being able to list things on the exchange drives their price up.

It decreases the available supply of items at any given time, creating false scarcity. It also prevents people from competing by undercutting each other.

Indeed, off-exchange trades tend to drive up prices that way. But, it also makes sales harder, as you have to monitor a channel all the time to watch for requests/offers. And keeping these ships off-exchange also means people have a hard time assessing their true value, and will feel taken advantage of (true or false) when they can't compare with other exchange prices. And will thus be inclined to wait it out a bit, first. I'm pretty sure many traders, when given the chance, would rather put their stuffz on exchange, and be done with it.

The exchange is always the fairest place for sales, IMHO. Especially, as you say, because of the 'undercutting', which makes too absured prices impossible (except when you manage to corner the entire market on a few particular items).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

What's this 'excess EC' people are talking about?! I'd like to get in on that! :P

But, O irony, there's already a massive EC sink. It's called 'lockbox prices.' LOL. No, seriously, like 1.5 billion for a T6 Connie?! I'd say that's sink enough.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    From what I understand, many of the limits are associated with whether or not a player is a Free to Play player or a subscriber. Free to players have a limit as to how much EC they can have at any given time. That being the case, the solution is very simple...

SUBSCRIBE!

Gold and LTS players have limits too, they're just larger. The overriding issue being expressed is, many prices are over even the Gold and LTS players EC/Dilithium caps,... For example, when the cap is 1billion, and the selling price of the item is 1.5-2billion or more.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Maybe if we concentrated our game lives on exploring or blowing stuff up instead of worrying on where to store Smaug's Gold and Treasure, that would change these QoL issues.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    ltminns wrote: »
    Maybe if we concentrated our game lives on exploring or blowing stuff up instead of worrying on where to store Smaug's Gold and Treasure, that would change these QoL issues.

actaully we need more people worried about the fake money. most of the fanbase already is more worried about blowing stuff up. more people trying to sell the more likely it is someone will start undercutting the higher prices for quick sell.
    From what I understand, many of the limits are associated with whether or not a player is a Free to Play player or a subscriber. Free to players have a limit as to how much EC they can have at any given time. That being the case, the solution is very simple...

SUBSCRIBE!

Gold and LTS players have limits too, they're just larger. The overriding issue being expressed is, many prices are over even the Gold and LTS players EC/Dilithium caps,... For example, when the cap is 1billion, and the selling price of the item is 1.5-2billion or more.

Well, the fix is simple enough. Make it so the price a player sets cannot be higher than the EX cap. That should be a no-brainer. and of course that should be fixed.

they are already selling at over the character ec limit. that'll just give and excuse to cry poverty and jack up the prices even more.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    I believe he was saying that you cannot sell something over the 1 billion EC limit. Problem is most of these things are going for EC and Keys, etc. You would have to shut down the Private Trading Channels to stop that. That ain't going to happen.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    If someone wants to sell PRICVATELY, that is their prereogative, Same thing goes if someone wants to BUY a private sale.

But I have to ask, Why aren't players looking at private sales that far outprice the caps and saying, **** You?

There is a difference between offering a PRIVATE sale and setting prices that are ridiculous. The phrase "Let the Buyer beware" applies.

Anyone posting something for sale, either public or private, KNOWS when the price is really too high. Posting the sale ANYWAY is a sign of someone who has no problems being a jerk.

cause most people are not very bright. and most people really just go without the crazy priced things.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.