test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

**Toward a Better Bajor: Proposed Solution for the Planet's Problems**

Comments

• Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,990 Arc User
    After debating with the protester standing on the park bench some 20 times I think Druk has hit the nail on the head with the Bajoran grave world concept.

Somehow he has not only accurately depicted through a very immersive narrative how the majority of players feel when finally beaming up from that place but also saved Cryptic untold hours of labour trying to adapt the old map to the new lighting system.

Visiting Bajor with an EV suit and flashlight while heavily armed (just in case some unspeakable evil survived) would be a change welcomed by many.

Perhaps a poll would be appropriate?
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Fix the fire extinguisher dispensers, then we'll talk. Until then the place is a damned death trap.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    After debating with the protester standing on the park bench some 20 times I think Druk has hit the nail on the head with the Bajoran grave world concept.

Somehow he has not only accurately depicted through a very immersive narrative how the majority of players feel when finally beaming up from that place but also saved Cryptic untold hours of labour trying to adapt the old map to the new lighting system.

Visiting Bajor with an EV suit and flashlight while heavily armed (just in case some unspeakable evil survived) would be a change welcomed by many.

Perhaps a poll would be appropriate?

I'll pass.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    This is a very interesting approach to a war arc. It would give the writing team an opportunity to reflect on how much progress has been made in the real world since the older narrative of hate and intolerance was told. There is plenty of room for a cutting-edge story to demonstrate environmental redemption as a wasteland is brought back to life, to show how a society based on violence and hate will ultimately destroy itself, and to show that the forgiveness and undying love of all life by a victim of the past bringing new life to a dead world.

Very empowering stuff, I'm all for it.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    lopequil wrote: »
    Fix the fire extinguisher dispensers, then we'll talk. Until then the place is a damned death trap.

Don't Feds get a free fire extinguisher device from one of the Klingon War missions?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    lopequil wrote: »
    Don't Feds get a free fire extinguisher device from one of the Klingon War missions?
    Feds and Fed-Roms(sorta, they're basically stealing it from the Feds). In theory the secondary fire of the CRM gun should work too. I know it used to work.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    Well... the problem is last time I played around with the CRM, the secondary fire animations didn't work, even though the firing cycle triggers, until you fire the primary mode, so you get the wide angle cone on top of the beam, which makes it real wonky to try and actually use in combat.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    It's come to my attention recently that the Bajor map is in need of updating. The new lighting system has made it impossible for a day/night cycle to exist, and this has created a raft of issues for the game.

A proposal came to me for how Bajor could be fixed, and a small but compelling story arc added to further enrich STO.

To wit:
    The Bajorans are a hateful, fractious, and violent people. Why not add a short story about rival hate groups on Bajor starting a war of mass destruction, resulting in all the population centers being destroyed and the surface being rendered uninhabitable?

Bajor could be updated to be a map of rubble, with the lighting a consistent dim twilight, some mix of the sun's rays trying to penetrate a thick layer of particulate matter in the atmosphere and terrestrial light from burning or glowing ruined cities.

Captains could travel to Bajor and help survey the damage, and take environmental readings to determine when it would be safe for people to go live there.

If the developers wanted to extend the story later on, there could be a small arc about terraforming the Bajoran grave world to make it habitable to Cardassians, with an aim toward turning it over to them as reparations for the Federation's role in the Dominion War.

Pfft i say turn bajor into a radioactive crater and that solves the problems of bajor and the bajorin in one teeny weenie planet killing thalaorn bomb.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User
    It's come to my attention recently that the Bajor map is in need of updating. The new lighting system has made it impossible for a day/night cycle to exist, and this has created a raft of issues for the game.

A proposal came to me for how Bajor could be fixed, and a small but compelling story arc added to further enrich STO.

To wit:
    The Bajorans are a hateful, fractious, and violent people. Why not add a short story about rival hate groups on Bajor starting a war of mass destruction, resulting in all the population centers being destroyed and the surface being rendered uninhabitable?

Bajor could be updated to be a map of rubble, with the lighting a consistent dim twilight, some mix of the sun's rays trying to penetrate a thick layer of particulate matter in the atmosphere and terrestrial light from burning or glowing ruined cities.

Captains could travel to Bajor and help survey the damage, and take environmental readings to determine when it would be safe for people to go live there.

If the developers wanted to extend the story later on, there could be a small arc about terraforming the Bajoran grave world to make it habitable to Cardassians, with an aim toward turning it over to them as reparations for the Federation's role in the Dominion War.

Pfft i say turn bajor into a radioactive crater and that solves the problems of bajor and the bajorin in one teeny weenie planet killing thalaorn bomb.

~double face palm~
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    And while we're at it, let's have the Romulans sue the Cardassians in Q's court of intergalactic law for ripping off their entire theme and concept in every way except doing it more poorly. Then Q can find them guilty and erase them from the galaxy.

And the Ferengi can finally wake up to the fact that capitalism and a profit motive make no bloody sense whatsoever in a galaxy where replicators and holograms exist, and commit mass suicide.

Three of the most annoying races in Trek gone, sounds like addition by subtraction to me.

Nope, the Court is closed. They bribed me/us, call me Neill. >:)
  • Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Moderated out response to moderated post.
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited April 2017
  • Options
    englishnodenglishnod Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    so if the there is going to be a doomsday device to destroy Bajor there is one question that needs to be answered.

CAN I PULL THE TRIGGER!?
  • Options
    capnspankycapnspanky Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2017
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User

To wit:

~double face palm~

Dear lady have you ever spent any time on bajor? O.o

They scream incoherently at you, all they talk about is either the prophets or sisko, they constantly want you to leave even though your trying to help them, they are rude and obnoxious...and they smell funny lol

All jokes aside cryptic could do more to paint the bajorans better then a bunch of crazy whiney religious zealots, which is how DS9 made them but cryptic has a blank canvas to paint and they wont.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    I propose a different solution - Turn STO into(drum roll) Bajor Online! Ta Da! All Bajor all the time!

Players can participate in exciting exploration events like
    - finding out which vendor sells the best mempa bread.
    - scouring the libraries for lost tomes on Pah Wraiths
    - finding out which farmer has raised the most targs this year.

Federation players can particpate in the new Bajoran Rep System by successfully mediating and resolving disagreements between neighboring farmers about who's livestock trespassed and trampled who's crops. Later, they can invest time in research to make new strains of bajoran grain crops with increased hardiness and yields.

Klingon players participate by doing pub crawls in Hathor. We'll also let them research ways to make tools and implements worthy of the finest farmers.

Romulan players can participate by developing new and improved pesticides. Which are deployed in battle cloaked containers to lull those pesky bugs into a false sense of security. We can even have a Tal Shiar sub faction at last by allowing those players who desire it to be able to pull the wings off captured flies after ruthlessly interrogating them.

Can't wait, can you? I know I'm excited by this unexpected turn of events - pun intended. lol
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    I like the concept.

The cityscape of Bajor would look frightening and ominous up against the backdrop of a nuclear winter haze.
    Sunbeams barely breaking through the murky atmosphere, giving off just enough ambient light to see the blackened and scorched remnants of the Bajoran structures....
    Talk about immersion !

Throw in EV suits, flashlights and hideous mutated radiation creatures we can blast with our phasers and it has all the ingredients for a great Halloween mission. Or a re-colonization/exploration arc.

This mission concept could also work well within the Lukari Arc. With the Tzengethi using protomatter weapons of mass destruction, it would fit the narrative. And give a little darkness to the happy go lucky Lukari story arc thus far.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    erocenerocen Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I do like the idea of Cardassians reclaiming their former planet after the destruction. Perhaps a few Bajoran's survive the disaster and come to realization that Dukat was right all along. Bajor is then renamed Dukat Prime in his honor. A thriving, peace loving society is born out of the chaos.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Use the Undine planet killer, problem solved!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    I propose a different solution - Turn STO into(drum roll) Bajor Online! Ta Da! All Bajor all the time!

Players can participate in exciting exploration events like
    - finding out which vendor sells the best mempa bread.
    - scouring the libraries for lost tomes on Pah Wraiths
    - finding out which farmer has raised the most targs this year.

Federation players can particpate in the new Bajoran Rep System by successfully mediating and resolving disagreements between neighboring farmers about who's livestock trespassed and trampled who's crops. Later, they can invest time in research to make new strains of bajoran grain crops with increased hardiness and yields.

Klingon players participate by doing pub crawls in Hathor. We'll also let them research ways to make tools and implements worthy of the finest farmers.

Romulan players can participate by developing new and improved pesticides. Which are deployed in battle cloaked containers to lull those pesky bugs into a false sense of security. We can even have a Tal Shiar sub faction at last by allowing those players who desire it to be able to pull the wings off captured flies after ruthlessly interrogating them.

Can't wait, can you? I know I'm excited by this unexpected turn of events - pun intended. lol
    A reputation not involving shooting many of the same things and potentially triggering the genocide apologists? Count me in!
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    I like the concept.

The cityscape of Bajor would look frightening and ominous up against the backdrop of a nuclear winter haze.
    Sunbeams barely breaking through the murky atmosphere, giving off just enough ambient light to see the blackened and scorched remnants of the Bajoran structures....
    Talk about immersion !

Throw in EV suits, flashlights and hideous mutated radiation creatures we can blast with our phasers and it has all the ingredients for a great Halloween mission. Or a re-colonization/exploration arc.

This mission concept could also work well within the Lukari Arc. With the Tzengethi using protomatter weapons of mass destruction, it would fit the narrative. And give a little darkness to the happy go lucky Lukari story arc thus far.

Could also work in the Yesterdays War Arc ... Maybe some crazy Bajoran goes back in time, kills Dukat leaving the 'butcher of galitep' (sp?) in charge ... which of course results in a good porition of Bajor and it's inhabitants gone.

We then have to go back in time and save Dukat :O
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    If you think about it the Alpha Quadrant in full is a place pretty well populated by the annoying, maybe we could just get a bigger doomsday device.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    I like the concept.

Talk about immersion !

Could also work in the Yesterdays War Arc ... Maybe some crazy Bajoran goes back in time, kills Dukat leaving the 'butcher of galitep' (sp?) in charge ... which of course results in a good porition of Bajor and it's inhabitants gone.

We then have to go back in time and save Dukat :O
    That actually sounds entertaining in a "what would happen if someone did kill Hitler" sort of way. It needs to have a second alternate timeline where Cardassia gets bombed to a smoking rock though... then make us fix that too. Which mysteriously results in the Oralians becoming more popular in the present.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    > @thunderfoot006 said:
    > I propose a different solution - Turn STO into(drum roll) Bajor Online! Ta Da! All Bajor all the time!
    >
    > Players can participate in exciting exploration events like
    > - finding out which vendor sells the best mempa bread.
    > - scouring the libraries for lost tomes on Pah Wraiths
    > - finding out which farmer has raised the most targs this year.
    >
    > Federation players can particpate in the new Bajoran Rep System by successfully mediating and resolving disagreements between neighboring farmers about who's livestock trespassed and trampled who's crops. Later, they can invest time in research to make new strains of bajoran grain crops with increased hardiness and yields.
    >
    > Klingon players participate by doing pub crawls in Hathor. We'll also let them research ways to make tools and implements worthy of the finest farmers.
    >
    > Romulan players can participate by developing new and improved pesticides. Which are deployed in battle cloaked containers to lull those pesky bugs into a false sense of security. We can even have a Tal Shiar sub faction at last by allowing those players who desire it to be able to pull the wings off captured flies after ruthlessly interrogating them.
    >
    > Can't wait, can you? I know I'm excited by this unexpected turn of events - pun intended. lol

+1 to this idea.

Also from the date this is implemented all new characters can only be Bajoran, and all existing characters are turned into Bajorans via some technobabble reason which doesn't need explaining.
    SulMatuul.png