test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Exploit For Leaving The Breach

I was wondering what people are doing to escape the final room so quickly in the event. I have been paying close attention since trying to figure out how most people are always waiting outside when I come out. I have entered the first gate as soon as the boss is destroyed, ahead of everyone, nobody passes me, yet when I exit, they are usually already there.

Not that it's a competition, but I was just wondering what exploit they are using.
Star Citizen: Pay-2-Win?
i.imgur.com/LGpIGVB.png

FREE HONG KONG! *
* With purchase of another Hong Kong of equal or greater value.

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I was wondering what people are doing to escape the final room so quickly in the event. I have been paying close attention since trying to figure out how most people are always waiting outside when I come out. I have entered the first gate as soon as the boss is destroyed, ahead of everyone, nobody passes me, yet when I exit, they are usually already there.

Not that it's a competition, but I was just wondering what exploit they are using.

There are 2 exits, one high, one low.

Just because you don't see anyone pass you doesn't mean they're not ahead of you. Pilot Maneuvers and Evasive Maneuvers can vault you ahead of the pack. They're probably just doing a different path slightly faster then you.

I usually take the upper one, which is the way you enter the room from the Core room. I'm usually the first one out, but have been beaten a couple times, usually by Pilot ships.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Yeah, it seems the upper door provides the faster route. But the lower door is highlighted with the green lines, and thus it's often easier to find.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User

Just because you don't see anyone pass you doesn't mean they're not ahead of you. Pilot Maneuvers and Evasive Maneuvers can vault you ahead of the pack. They're probably just doing a different path slightly faster then you.

I usually take the upper one, which is the way you enter the room from the Core room. I'm usually the first one out, but have been beaten a couple times, usually by Pilot ships.

this ^^^

or they just left the core room early or never entered it to begin with​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    feordilagorgefeordilagorge Member Posts: 247 Arc User

this ^^^

or they just left the core room early or never entered it to begin with​​

Hmm... Don't think you should be able to leave until the mission is accomplished.
    i.imgur.com/LGpIGVB.png

FREE HONG KONG! *
  • Options

Evasive Maneuvers doesn't seem to boost my speed at all in that event.
    i.imgur.com/LGpIGVB.png

FREE HONG KONG! *
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    you need decently high engine power to really notice high speed out of EM​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options

Not sure what to tell you there, it definitely gives me a boost. It's not huge, but enough to notice.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,043 Community Moderator
    I notice an increase in speed with Emergency to Engines. But then with how fast you're going it's a bit harder to control. Especially slower turning ships.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    If you leave the same way you entered, you will be a bit faster.

Further, it's a result of the same kind of behaviour one can observe in general. There's always some players who will just make sure they're ahead of everyone - even if they have to stop doing what they're supposed to do. I see it in KAGA all the time for example, players who position themselves such that they're already close to the next node, or who are just ignoring full groups of enemies when they shouldn't.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Oh and I've noticed that Attack pattern omega can also make a difference.

Yes, I play one of those filthy tacs too sometimes :p

And of course all other things that boost Engine power should help a bit: power siphon, plasmonic leech to name just two. And then there's the Lukari reputation console, the Delta reputation trait and a console from Delta flight that all boost flight speed.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I've seen people exiting the core room through the upper door before the core was defeated. So it's not an exploit, just selfish, narcissistic behaviour.
  • Options
    szim wrote: »
    I've seen people exiting the core room through the upper door before the core was defeated. So it's not an exploit, just selfish, narcissistic behaviour.

It's extra silly considering how much time you have to get out. There is really no reason at all why you would need to get out that quickly, I usually make it with at least 20 seconds on the clock.

Makes me wonder how bad these people really are if they need all that extra time.
  • Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    Don't see any exploits, but I do see people dropping out of battle, heading to the exit door, and basically hugging that door til it opens then speeding out. The door starts to open somewhat early, so if you are staying in battle til it blows, those guys are down the corridor and around a bend by the time you even reach the door.

You ever see the folks who put the first comment in a webcomic or forum area only to say 'First!"? Yeah, those are the guys flying those ships.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    There are also often people waiting at the core door while others kill the subcore. And people who don't shoot at the entry door, so they aren't in red alert and can full impulse inside as soon as it explodes.

Let's just say the mission attracts a lot of impatient people. Too bad they tend to never do the kind of things that actually speed up the mission (like racing to the entrypoint or finding the correct subcore ASAP).
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User

Engine power really boosts the speed from evasive maneuvers. I either switch my power to engines or I pop an engine battery just before I hit evasive maneuvers. Also, using hyper engines over combat engines gives a boost to speed too.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,344 Community Moderator
    I've noticed on a few occasions when there's already someone waiting outside when I exit the breach, that those individuals never entered to begin with. They just hung around outside after the door is blown open and wait for the rest of us to finish the event. It's noticeable that there's at least one less player when it takes a bit longer in the core rooms.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    Thanks for all your excellent answers. As I said, it's not a competition getting out, or it shouldn't be.. I was just wondering what trick I might be missing and whether it would help end the mission sooner if I could exit faster. I didn't want to be holding up the team, but nobody would ever answer me in chat. It's like they were guarding some highly classified secret.

I also see a lot of people attacking the cores in the pistons with the question mark. Aren't these best left alone? The first time I attacked one, I noticed a "NOOB" comment in team chat and wasn't sure if that was meant for me or not. It would be much more helpful if people explained things rather than lash out with insults, but I guess that's our gaming society today.

I've been in and out of this game since launch but I haven't put in the time most of you have to know every little nuance of the game. I have six level 60 toons and three more over 50, yet I've still not even taken advantage of fleets. I have some pretty good, albeit not uber, gear. My problem in MMOs is that I typically disperse my time over many alts because I like to experience the different possibilities. I guess had I stayed on one character, I'd be like level 500 now. This game is also so incredibly easy to level without doing a whole lot, especially when the double XP events are held, that your level far exceeds your capabilities.

Again, your input is appreciated and if anyone wants to find me in-game and help me get into a good fleet and obtain some of those awesome consoles, give me a shout.
    i.imgur.com/LGpIGVB.png

FREE HONG KONG! *
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Getting out ahead of everybody else does not do anything for you or the team. But if you are destroyed when the timer runs out everybody in your team will get 5 marks less .

The question mark cores should be ignored. Attacking them will electrify everybody in range, dealing some damage and slowing you down. But since there are some NPCs flying around and player's pets attack everything in range unless specifically ordered not to do so, it is difficult to avoid the "false" cores alltogether. Try not to shoot them intentionally since it only delays completion of the mission.
  • Options
    I like to get ahead for no other reason than having the joy of being the first out of the door.

Though I generally stay to kill everyone important. Once the trench run is over, the only way to speed up things is to blow up the subcore and the main core fast, your travel speed doesn't matter, since there is a countdown once the main core blows up.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    Even if everyone gets out with 30 seconds to spare, you still have to wait out the timer to get your rewards. Speed in the end doesn't matter at all.
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    One thing I notice once in a while is that on the mini-map, people are are still supposedly inside the ship, but the rewards tells me they escaped. I used to spend some time trying to find a third way out (there's another window but it won't open)

On some of my ships, I start to head toward the door at about 10%, because once that extra burst of speed kicks in, I often get hung up on a protrusion in that room, because the ship moves faster than it steers. Not a problem on raiders or the like, but on some cruisers it is.
  • Options
    ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    While on the subject of being out-performed - how the hell are people destroying all the turrets in the trench? By the time i target anything and tell my ship to fire, its generally already behind me out of range.
  • Options
    While on the subject of being out-performed - how the hell are people destroying all the turrets in the trench? By the time i target anything and tell my ship to fire, its generally already behind me out of range.
    Autofire.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,344 Community Moderator
    Don't feel too bad about accidently shooting the ? cores. No one is perfect. Sometimes I'll be too quick to fire, anticipating the correct core to show. It happens. The electrical backlash can be easily cleared with Science Team, so it's not that big a deal.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    shredder75shredder75 Member Posts: 89 Arc User

That's probably because you have your engine power set low when you use it. Cycling power to Engines helps a lot (high EPS helps.) Alternatively, you can run EptE3 (which works with Full Impulse) to increase your speed. Combined with the DOFF, it'll also reduce the cooldown of EM considerably, making a Dread zip around like a Risian Corvette.

If you're flying an Ent-J, you might also want to toss in Aux2D so you can make those turns. ;) They don't seem to be too Breach friendly from what I've seen.
  • Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    Thanks for all your excellent answers. As I said, it's not a competition getting out, or it shouldn't be.. I was just wondering what trick I might be missing and whether it would help end the mission sooner if I could exit faster. I didn't want to be holding up the team, but nobody would ever answer me in chat. It's like they were guarding some highly classified secret.

I also see a lot of people attacking the cores in the pistons with the question mark. Aren't these best left alone? The first time I attacked one, I noticed a "NOOB" comment in team chat and wasn't sure if that was meant for me or not. It would be much more helpful if people explained things rather than lash out with insults, but I guess that's our gaming society today.

I've been in and out of this game since launch but I haven't put in the time most of you have to know every little nuance of the game. I have six level 60 toons and three more over 50, yet I've still not even taken advantage of fleets. I have some pretty good, albeit not uber, gear. My problem in MMOs is that I typically disperse my time over many alts because I like to experience the different possibilities. I guess had I stayed on one character, I'd be like level 500 now. This game is also so incredibly easy to level without doing a whole lot, especially when the double XP events are held, that your level far exceeds your capabilities.

Again, your input is appreciated and if anyone wants to find me in-game and help me get into a good fleet and obtain some of those awesome consoles, give me a shout.

PSA on the aftereffect of shooting at the ? cores...science team cleans the effect so you can keep moving. It's needed because the ships you rescue will shoot at the wrong cores, as will any stray pets or fighters.

As for the escaping early, the lower route's door is unlocked as soon as you enter the main core room. You can go through it right away if you want, and fly almost the first 1/3 of the escape route before hitting a locked door. I suspect this is what you're seeing, since I've only seen once in 70 runs someone who genuinely didn't even enter the ship.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User

Fighters love attacking the decoy cores, even if you don't.
  • Options
    shredder75 wrote: »

That's probably because you have your engine power set low when you use it. Cycling power to Engines helps a lot (high EPS helps.) Alternatively, you can run EptE3 (which works with Full Impulse) to increase your speed. Combined with the DOFF, it'll also reduce the cooldown of EM considerably, making a Dread zip around like a Risian Corvette.

If you're flying an Ent-J, you might also want to toss in Aux2D so you can make those turns. ;) They don't seem to be too Breach friendly from what I've seen.

My Klingon Temporal Heavy Dreadought handles it just fine, but the Klingon ship mght actually be the smallest of the 3, and I got a lot of turn rate buffs working in my favor. No A2D, though.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    discojer wrote: »
    One thing I notice once in a while is that on the mini-map, people are are still supposedly inside the ship, but the rewards tells me they escaped. I used to spend some time trying to find a third way out (there's another window but it won't open)

On some of my ships, I start to head toward the door at about 10%, because once that extra burst of speed kicks in, I often get hung up on a protrusion in that room, because the ship moves faster than it steers. Not a problem on raiders or the like, but on some cruisers it is.

Tell me about it. The T'Laru is a nightmare in the event. Mostly because big Romulan ships tend to be more wide than they are long, great for eating all the plasma fires and warp core explosions. :#