test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Leaked photo of Star Trek Discovery Klingons

hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
http://www.treknews.net/2017/02/11/first-look-star-trek-discovery-klingons/

star-trek-discovery-klingons-01.jpg

Reminds me of the Xindi-Reptilians. I know Discovery's going for some new looks, but... :/

Comments

• garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    maybe the autor of that article/tweet doesn't know how klingons look like ;)
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    OP you beat me to it LOL

tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• nappers1nappers1 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Uhhh?
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    They have not been confirmed as Klingons by anybody of any relevance.
    Don't let this become the random Cardassian eared aliens=Caitians because of off-hand misinformation all over again.

They will not be Klingons. Even Into Darkness did not change the look of Klingons in any major way, DSC will not do so either.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    Same, unless there is an official confirmation, I'll stay neutral.
    While I can see why people would think those are Klingons (ridged spine and forehead, brown skin, spikes on the uniforms), I still doubt it. They're quite skinny and their cranium is a bit elongated for Klingons.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    There's no way in hell they'd make such a massive mistake as redesigning the klingons to look like ... that ... definitely a new alien
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
    They literally don't look at all like Klingons. Kahless would probably be upset if they actually are "Klingons".​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
    Oh, look, an explosion...
    I will bet money they are not.

But watching fans acting like screeching children on Facebook over it is also incredibly funny.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    They have not been confirmed as Klingons by anybody of any relevance.
    Don't let this become the random Cardassian eared aliens=Caitians because of off-hand misinformation all over again.

They will not be Klingons. Even Into Darkness did not change the look of Klingons in any major way, DSC will not do so either.

This.

But: If this is a discovery set shot - wrinkly faced vampire aliens as the antagonists - AGAIN!?

Star Trek really overdoes this trope pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User
    ~face palm~

Looks more like a something one would see at a fetish convention. :|
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,454 Community Moderator
    Yea... I don't see Klingons here. Its gotta be something new.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    The Xindi-Reptilian comparisons are very spot on. Whatever these guys turn out to be, the design is rather uninspired and leaves me rather underwhelmed.
    edited February 2017
    rattler2 wrote: »

"Something new" is a very generous phrasing considering those mooks look exactly like every other wrinkly faced cannon fodder evil-doer Star Trek has to deal with since "Insurrection" and beyond. The moment Klingons and Romulans got a bit more relatable they became quasi-allies of the protagonists, when a Romulan was supposed to be the bad guy in a movie he needed wrinkly faced cannon fodder minions to fill the "Stormtrooper" trope - and that's happening to Star Trek DSC (presumably) as well. The days of antagonists with actually sensible motivations and emotions seems gone - of course, DSC can still surprise me and make it good, but I highly doubt it. EDIT: They even have spikes on their armour. Evil spikes.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »

"Something new" is a very generous phrasing considering those mooks look exactly like every other wrinkly faced cannon fodder evil-doer Star Trek has to deal with since "Insurrection" and beyond.​​

Since Insurrection? The Jem'Hdar and the Klingons were around long before then.

#TASforSTO

artan42 wrote: »
    Since Insurrection? The Jem'Hdar and the Klingons were around long before then.

I edited my posting, but Klingons aren't wrinkly faced. The Jem'Hadar might count, but even they got a bit of character later on. I am specifically adressing all the "objectively ugly evil" mooks like Son'a, Remans or these wrinkly mutants from Beyond.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,454 Community Moderator
    Krall's motivations in Beyond are pretty justified from his PoV.

If they were Klingons, and considering the time period Discovery is supposed to take place in, Klingons, or most Klingons that were encountered by the Federation, would be affected by the Augment Virus and look like those in TOS. I'd even accept some looking like they did in Into Darkness, as they were still relatively recognizable AS Klingons.

These things? Total unknown.

As to the whole "Every antagonist has a wrinkly face" thing... not entirely accurate. Nero was a throwback to the TOS Romulan look for the most part. He didn't have the forehead details we saw in the TNG era.

What you have to consider is that there's only so much you can do with a humanoid body to make a species unique. Back in TOS, most of the aliens were just recolor humans, and some were just plain human period. Only a couple had quite distinct features like the Andorians and Tellarites. It wasn't until TMP that we really started seeing more diversity in appearances.

Without knowing more... we can only speculate as to who these mystery aliens are.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    What you have to consider is that there's only so much you can do with a humanoid body to make a species unique.
    Ditch the humanoid template, create something more interesting like they did with Species 8472.​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

While that does provide some more flexability, like we saw with the non humanoid Xindi, the Tholians, the Gorn and the "Silent Enemies" in Enterprise, and even Species 8472, creating a purely CG antagonist species for regular appearances in a Live Action TV show will hit a budget problem.

For example, the Xindi Insectoids. While they were one of the antagonists, the ones we saw the most of were Degra and the Reptilians. Why? Cheaper to put a guy in a suit then to animate a CG creature on a regular basis.

They're already doing a lot of CG work for the ships. However that's actually easier because ships don't articulate like a living being, and generally aren't going to be in the same room interacting with live actors.
    Oh I prefer costumes over CG any day. CGI, even in 2017, still looks horribly phony and I will probably never change my stance on this. However, all costumed bad guys look alike as well these days. Look at the Remans, the Krall cannon fodder, the Son'a - they all are pale/grey, wrinkly and "evil" looking, just so the heroes can scrap hundreds of them without feeling bad - Stormtroopers got more thought put into them these days. The main villians mostly stand out, but their motivation is always revenge in a movie or strife for power in a show. Krall's motivation was, in my personal opinion, the flimsiest excuse of a "motivation" I've heard in a long time but YMMV.

The evil aliens in Galaxy Quest look more convincing and interesting than anything Star Trek has produced in it's later incarnations - they should stick to forehead/nose aliens and rather create interesting plots around them, in my opinion. Ultimately it's not that important how they look, but they should be a bit relatable and not have the stereotypical "evil" wrinkly Lord of the Rings Orc look.

Only partly related, but anyone else notice that every single CG big bad nowadays look liks like Azog the Defiler? Even in Star Wars and a few lesser known movies, they all look like middle earth orcs these days. It's staggering.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    I'd even accept some looking like they did in Into Darkness, as they were still relatively recognizable AS Klingons.

What do you mean 'relatively'? They look exactly like TNG Klingons if made with modern face fitting masks and make up techniques. They have no stand out features at all that mark them as different from TNG Klingons as TNG Klingons are from each other (bearing in mind we see a total of one unmasked in ID.).

It's the Klingons from TMP and TUC that are the anomalies and less recognisable from the TNG 'norm' not the ID ones.​​

#TASforSTO

klingon-star-trek-into-darkness.jpg
    bf4b9fae01504d534c9ce8c9e4df7239.jpg

I wouldn't say "exactly". Took cues from them? Yes. Still recognizable? Yes.
    The KT Klingons are not EXACTLY the same, but they follow the species design set by everything that came before them. TMP was the first movie that introduced us to the modern Klingon look. And yea... TUC was a bit different, but still recognizable. Maybe as a different ethnic group with less pronounced forehead ridges or something.
    I wouldn't say "exactly". Took cues from them? Yes. Still recognizable? Yes.
    The KT Klingons are not EXACTLY the same, but they follow the species design set by everything that came before them. TMP was the first movie that introduced us to the modern Klingon look. And yea... TUC was a bit different, but still recognizable. Maybe as a different ethnic group with less pronounced forehead ridges or something.

I didn't say exactly either. But they're so similar they don't even need pointing out. A wider nose with an extra set of wrinkles down the side of it to the mouth and the ridges continue down the neck. Other than a complete lack of hair that's where the differences begin and end and we've seen bald Klingons before.

TMP and TUC are such departures from this that they could be said to be 'still relatively recognizable AS Klingons'.

I know why both films were different (TMP as the first and TUC for humanised counterparts) but that dosn't mean anything in terms of how similar different Klingons are to each other. Which is what my point was.

ID Klingon is more like Martok than Martok is like Chang.

And whilst we're on the topic, I always figured that the TUC Klingons were the point where the treatments for the Augment virus were starting to work properly. As it was tested on Klingons like Klaa first then later more important Klingons like Chang or Gorkon tried it and by the time of TUC they're starting to grow their ridges back. The ones in TMP had been tested with a prototype of the cure and it went a bit too far leading to the dino look.

Obviously that's probably not the explanation anymore as ID shows that the virus never affected all Klingons anyway or that a cure was already available in the TOS era and it takes you straight back to the TNG/ENT style without having to go through the TMP/TUC style first.

#TASforSTO

While that does provide some more flexability, like we saw with the non humanoid Xindi, the Tholians, the Gorn and the "Silent Enemies" in Enterprise, and even Species 8472, creating a purely CG antagonist species for regular appearances in a Live Action TV show will hit a budget problem.

For example, the Xindi Insectoids. While they were one of the antagonists, the ones we saw the most of were Degra and the Reptilians. Why? Cheaper to put a guy in a suit then to animate a CG creature on a regular basis.

They're already doing a lot of CG work for the ships. However that's actually easier because ships don't articulate like a living being, and generally aren't going to be in the same room interacting with live actors.

I get that, but also consider that we don't need to see their full bodies all the time, and just because they're regular doesn't mean they'll be in every episode.​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    Cheaper to put a guy in a suit then to animate a CG creature on a regular basis.

and yet both TCW and rebels following it did -and are currently doing - this on a weekly basis, so clearly CGI work is nowhere NEAR as expensive as people keep making it out to be​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited February 2017
    Cheaper to put a guy in a suit then to animate a CG creature on a regular basis.

and yet both TCW and rebels following it did -and are currently doing - this on a weekly basis, so clearly CGI work is nowhere NEAR as expensive as people keep making it out to be

Clone Wars and Rebels are animated shows, though, and don't need to look real compared to real people.​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.

If the ENTIRE show is in CG, its not a problem. Discovery isn't going to be all CG. It will be live action.
    edited February 2017
    except disney didn't own star wars during TCW's production run

and clearly CBS/paramount have a lot more money now than they had 20 years ago, because special effects are often very expensive and all 3 KT films were (over)loaded with them, in addition to all the CGI

hell, even enterprise had more CGI in one episode than DS9 and voyager had across entire seasons​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    George Lucas personally funded TCW in order to allow for the show to have the budget necessary to tell the story. It was costing about a million US dollars per block of episodes. Rebels is on a much reduced budget even with Disney's backing.​​

#TASforSTO

and what classifies as a 'block'?

as for rebels, they may have a reduced budget, but they also have the benefit of ALL those prior fully modeled, textured and animated bits from TCW, so they only need to create new stuff and not recreate old things...granted, not a lot of any of that old stuff shows up in rebels, but every model that does is one less they have to make​​

#LegalizeAwoo